RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM
lkahn4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Chic,
I think it's under either cockpits or accessories, but it is there. If I can find the link I'll post it

LArry
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
lkahn4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chic,
Just checked it's under accessories. You have to slowly scroll through the list until you find a 1/5th 50 cal, it's there.

Larry
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: butlern
Hopefully they'll do the job and force the air over the cylinders and out the cowl flaps. I might also open the cowl flaps a little wider, just to be sure there's plenty of negative pressure back there to suck out the hot air around the cylinders.

I've been lurking and reading your amazing build, and am in total awe. I've about given up building, I was working on a Vailly "Dawg" along with Chic, trying to keep up with him. (little known is I had to break his arm to catch up to him, the surgery thing is a ruse, ha, ha). Now he's put a hex on me to get even.

Just kidding, Chic my friend, hope you know that.

Anyway, just wondering, are you building functional cowl flaps? There is a guy in my club with a Bearcat, don't know whose plans, but large scale, about the same as your project. His has cowl flaps with some kind of linkage to a single servo, and it is mixed to his throttle so that the flaps are full open from idle to about 1/4 and then start to close after that, but they still pass plenty of air for cooling at flight speeds. Looks fantastic in operation.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, guys.

Wulf190 is sending me a resin 50 cal from DB. I'm not sure what the scale is, but I think that 1/6th would be closer to appropriate for our Avengers.Charlie drew the plans 1/5.79. Actually either would probably look OK mounted in the back.

Anyway, when I get the gun, I'll get some pictures so the we can all decide how it looks. (thanks, again, M!)

Ken, thanks for checking in. I seriously considered doing functional cowl flaps, especially since Sam Parfitt posted a really detailed set of guidelines and photos in his Comp-ARF Corsair build thread. But, in the end I decided that the additional complexity was not worth dealing with at this point. I figure I can add this feature down the road (as it's not too invasive). I agree, though... that would be very nice. We'll see.

I'll be in touch soon when I get the 50 cal.

Regards,

Noah
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken, you were the best blind date I ever had. Any of you other Avenger builders who come to visit Washington, D.C., give me a call and I'll serve as a personal tour guide to the aircraft places of interest. Ken, we are brothers with different parents and friends we will be forever. But you could of broken my left arm instead of the right. [>:] Thanks for the heads up to visit the accessory file to find those 50's. Take care and check your six guys. Chic
Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 PM
P-40BRB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not Only will it fly well at that weight, with the engine you have picked out it will also sound great, I am so impressed I can't wait to see and here the test flight on your baby.

Sorry I been out of the build thread for awhile, but you have got your self a great looking plane there my friend!! Great work, on both the plane and the build thread.

You may want to drill the balsa ring out and glue a larger wood dowel in place where your cowl bolts will be then drill and tap the dowel and add some thin CA and retap when dry, then use the same size nylon bolt in place of the metal ones. Believe me they will stay in place , the same basic set up you have is how Miester secures their cowls to their P-47, I have two Meister P-47's and neither have ever loosen up, and I have single cylinder pounders in them not that beautiful five cylinder you got there.

All smiles here you are going to so enjoy this airplane!!!

Brian

PS Check out the Warbirds Over Delaware Video- Yep first plane on the video/TBM Avenger. You may recognize it.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM
lkahn4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,
So here's the latest update on our Avenger, we spent 3 hours sanding the fuse yesterday so in reality we got 6 hours of sanding and I swear that we have enough resin dust to build another plane. It is amazing how many small imperfections you see when you start to sand, a little spot putty and a bit more sanding and we will be ready to prime next wednesday . I almost have all the window frames cut from from .020 styrene and can't wait to see them affixed to the fuse. I was going through the Squadron walk around book and noticed that the access hatches do indeed stick out from the fuseleage ala Noahs excellent doors. As soon as the fuse is primed we can move on to installing the crew door with the boomerang hinge design we came up wit. I'm hoping tha Noah has tried them before we do so he can again help with his insight.
Another weekend here of rain and wind, at this rate I'm thinking no more flying until spring (let's hope I'm wrong).
Brian, where can I find the warbirds over delaware video, I tried to find it yesterday but no luck.

To all our Avneger buddies, good flying and keep posting as it gives each of us insight into different ways to acheive the end result not to mention making ALL of us better modelers.

Larry
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the kind words, Brian. Hope to be able to get the motor fired-up soon, maybe a flight before the snow falls this winter. But the weather has been suboptimal for painting (cold, windy), so I'm not really sure if I can get it all done before the onset of winter. We'll see.

So wulf190 sent me the resin 50 cal supplied by Dynamic Balsa (DB), so I shot a couple of photos comparing the two guns that I have (thanks to both Chic and Mike for their contributions to my project!!).

I think the die-cast gun is really nice, but not only is it really heavy, I think it's a little too large. The smaller resin gun is much closer to the right scale. I looked at several photos and 3-views, and it's clear that the 50 cal does not project very far out of the turret. Despite the relative lack of detail on the DB resin gun, I think that I'm going to move forward with that unit as it's closer to the right size and it's considerably lighter. In case the pictures are not clear, the DB gun is 8 inches in overall length. I'm not sure (and neither was Mike) whether this is the 1/5 or the 1/6th. Anyway, I think it'll look good with some more details and once installed. Additional details will likely include removal of the barrel from the resin gun and adding a new barrel made from drilled aluminum tubing.

All that aside, I don't really have any other updates, as I was busy with work all weekend and spent zero time on the plane. Maybe later this week/weekend I'll get back on it.

Keep chipping away, Larry! Looking forward to pictures when you get a chance. By the way, I have not yet had a chance to fiddle with the crew door hinges, so I currently have no insight to share. Maybe later this week I'll tackle those.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Best,

Noah

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98195.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1306996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20150.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1306997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77152.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1306998  
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Noah, totally agree with your reasoning. The metal gun is far too long and yes, its heavy. I played with mine and after lifting it a couple of times, had to go back into physical therapy to recover use of my right arm again. The diecast version looks awful good with a few extra details added will certainly be a winner. I will go after DB 50 cal myself. The addition of the drilled out alum barrel is right on and would be a great detail to add. Chic
Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agreed, Chic.

Anyone have any tips for drilling out holes on the surface of 1/4" aluminum tubes (making the cooling vents in the outer sleeve for a 50 cal gun barrel)?

Seems like it might be hard (impossible, really) to keep the drill bit from wandering on the concave surface without help (depression or divot made with another tool).

I suppose I'll have to do some searching on the forums.

Updates this weekend, for sure.

Noah
Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 AM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, that only took 2 minutes: I searched and found exactly what I was looking for in Metalmorphous' thread devoted to the construction of his Ziroli P-38.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7837699

Perfect, now just have to go out and collect the materials.

Some photos of the 50 cal results this weekend (assuming I can find both the materials and the time).

Noah
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM
lkahn4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Noah,
I think micromark sells a vise to hold round stock, and believe it or not there was just a tip in FLY RC about filling a tube with salt to bend it, I would think 1 of 2 options. You can either buy some solid brass rod that will fit inside the tube or maybe a wooden dowel... though the salt thing seemed interesting. WHichever, if you have a drill press and clamp the vise with the tube to the table you should be able to drill without wandering, if not you can always make a jig for the tube and a male counterpart from pine and drill a hole to use as a guide to keep the bit straight.. hope this helps

Larry
Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I think I have finally found solution to my "which gun to use" problem.

I just received a Dragon in Dream series 1/6th scale figure to serve as my Avenger pilot. As many of those collectable figures do, he came with a large number of accessories, including a 1/6th 50 cal. gun. Although this gun is also die-cast, I was able to removed many unnecessary brackets, handles, gun sight, functional breech, inner barrel, etc.. and I was able to get it to come in at 2 oz. It looks really good, and much more appropriately scaled for the Avenger compared to the gun that Chic sent to me (sorry, Chic!!). Chic, where did you get that gun, anyway?

The pilot looks really good, too (as well he should considering the cost of these figures/accessories). Now I just need to whittle the pilot's weight down a little. But, even if I can't, he sits right on the CG so 8 additional ounces should not be that big of a deal... as long as I don't get carried away with 8 oz here, and 8 oz there, of course (that adds up fast).

So, I spent some time detailing the turret last night and this morning, and I've got plans to work on the cockpit this week, too.

Will post some pictures soon.

Noah
Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Firebar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my copy of SKS Video Productions Warbirds Over Delaware 2009 today. As Brian mentioned earlier, his plane is the first featured flight on the video. Congrats to Brian for a very nice flight and a pretty good interview too. It was great to get to talk to Brian about his plane at WOD and it flies as good as it looks.

Charlie

Name:	Pm34770.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1307967  
Old 11-04-2009, 07:08 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They look great together!

Congrats to you both.

I appreciate the occasional "inspirational" photos, Charlie. Feel free to keep them coming!

Will share some updates this weekend. The weather here in Iowa is supposed to be sunny and in the 60's (that's filling, sanding, and panel line weather!).

Noah
Old 11-07-2009, 06:37 AM
lkahn4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What great looking planes, at this rate we should have 1 or 2 squadrons ready by next year, kudos to Charlie for his plans and inspiration as well as all the people building his plane. At this rate we should have 1 or 2 squadrons done. Wed we primed the fuse and it's amazing at all the imperfections you see when the primer dries. Next week will be sanding and spot filling and then hopefully we can get photos with the wings attached. I did get to make the window frames for the 4 windows, what a pain trying to cut the curves on the .020 styrene but I finally got them done.
Noah, can you let me know what pilot you got from Dragon in Dreams, I went to the website but couldn't find it. My cohort and I were talking about fabricating the gun from scratch as we have all this free time on our hands (read as NOT). It really is amazing that with each step you complete the urge to rush and get it done... but the one thing I have learned in this hobby is that patience IS really a virtue.
The only thing I miss is having the plane at home so I could get some time in during the week, but having the workshop at the office is Definitely a PLUS as I don't have the wife calling me every 5 minutes asking if I'm ever coming out of my work room.
Hopefully I will get to post some pix in a couple of weeks with the wings attached.

For those of you who still live in warm weather parts of the country, happy flying, for those of you in the colder parts, happy building and watch your six

Larry
Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, Larry.

I got Willian Bowman, Air Force pilot circa WWII. I know he's neither US Navy, nor British Royal Navy, but I think he'll blend in with the plane well-enough (some pictures below). I couldn't find any US Naval pilots from WWII. Anyway, I got him at Monkeydepot.com

Well, the weather was beautiful in Iowa this past weekend, and unfortunately, I wasted all day yesterday on Iowa Hawkeyes football. I'll never watch another Hawkeye game ever again!!! Very disturbing!

Anyway, because of all that lost time, I didn't get much accomplished on the Avenger. What I did work on was the cockpit, dash and turret.

For the dash, I cut out the recesses for each of the dials. Then I just printed out some scanned images of various instruments/gauges on regular paper, cut them out, and then glued them to a piece of balsa. The dials were located on the balsa based on the cutouts in Charlies kit-supplied dash. Once glued down, I overlayed the balsa and instruments with some clear plastic, then just sandwiched it all together. Looks pretty good, although I still have lots of details to put on the dash panel (more painted details, and levers and switches, etc...)

Name:	Mk27003.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1310330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74756.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1310331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23463.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1310332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24477.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1310333  
Old 11-08-2009, 06:46 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the turret, I added some more details, like the gun camera, trigger mechanism and the base that supports the gun itself.

So I decided to use the gun that was supplied with the pilot that I bought. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I was able to whittle the gun's weight down to about 2 oz by removing accessories and brackets that were no longer relevant to the turret-mounted version I was making. I still have to paint some of the details black, and highlight some other areas with white and silver paint, as well as add the wires from the camera and the 5-point harness, but it's nearly finished. The total wight now as pictured is 4.4 oz... so it's a little heavy, but not too bad. It's all balsa and styrene, with a length of air line tubing wrapped with some brass wire (to make the flexible hose).

Name:	Qo40141.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1310342  
Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The last bit of work I did today was to start painting some of the various parts with zinc chromate paint. The cockpit side-walls and the radio compartment still need some more work, but I think I'm going to knock some of that out after dinner tonight. Lots of levers and knobs to glue in place, as well as some wires snaking here and there. That headrest looks terrible right now, too. I think with another day of detailling, it'll start to look really good.

Oh, and here's a couple of shots of the pilot in his seat, didn't bother to put his helmet goggles or mask on for the photos. Larry, If you want to see some more detail on the pilot, let me know and I'll post some more shots. He also comes with a really nice parachute, but charlies vaccuum-formed seat is not really deep-enough to accommodate the chute.

Name:	Nl29247.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1310351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17978.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1310352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38392.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1310353  
Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 PM
lkahn4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Noah,
As always you come through, excelllent work and I will check out the pilot, John my cohort found a GI Joe pilot along with a 50 cal machine gun, we are going to see how it fits tomorrow so I will let you know how we make out. I am gald to see that you have the same spot putty rash on your fuse as we do, thankfully it's contagious, I thouhgt we were the only ones buying spot putty in 55 gal drums...lol
The wings weren't anywhere near the amount of filling and sanding that the fuse is taking
Went to the field today 60 5-10 wind straight down the runway and I didnt take a plane... too much family drama going on to get my head into flying, and I'm sure that there will be few days left this year as nice as today.
Can't wait until Wed. to get some sanding and spot filling done, then we can start on the gun turret, fitting the bomb bay doors and start working on the cockpit... it seems the closer we get the faster we want to get this done, but we try to hold back and not rush to end up with something we wouldn't be happy with.
I'll try and get some pix done after we get the fuse in final primer without too many imperfections.
If you get a chance there was a great show about the Bermuda Triangle on the Scyfi channel today and there is a pilot with a restored Avenger who flew the same route as flight 19.. what an awesome looking plane...

Larry
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Larry,

I bought the "institutional sized" tube of spot putty, and it's almost gone!

I have applied spot putty and Evercoat Easy Sand filler, primed, rubbed back and repeated about 6 times on the wings and fuse. I think it's pretty much finished. I'm pretty sick of filling and sanding. Once the panel lines and rivets get on, any remaining imperfections should fade into the background, anyway.

I sanded everything off again today... below you can see just how uneven my planking job was.

One more coat of primer, rub back, add panel lines rivets, prime again rub a little more, then paint!

I finally picked a scheme. Will share my decision soon. I think it looks sharp!

More updates soon.

Noah

Name:	Ig13356.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1310446  
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's the scheme I'm leaning towards, but I have found limited information about the specific color palettes.

I also need to confirm whether the Mk IV was a TBM-C that I can actually model at this point... I sort of remember reading that the Mk IV were TBM-3S, sub hunters that were not fitted with turrets (and maybe never even delivered to England).

Will continue to check whether this is a reasonable plane to model. I should have done this 12 months ago, I know... but I never really thought much about scale fidelity until recently. Live and learn.

If others among you have any additional information to share, I'm all ears.

Noah

Name:	Us54410.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1310784  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome to the Queens Navy, your scheme is colorful, and certainly different. Great, just perfect as far as I am concerned. You have the Royal Navy covered, and I have the Royal Air Force covered, not a bad combination. Go for it Noah, you know I love the idea: "Never has some many, owed so much, to so few," Sir Churchhill. Chic

Name:	Ig12652.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1311029   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42752.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1311030  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
lkahn4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, you guys won't believe this but we are leaning toward the Canadian version as my cohorts wifes new boss was a Snowbird pilot before giving it up. I know I've said it before but I think it needs repeating that the group of people on this thread happen to be some of the nicest and most helpful in my 30 odd on and off years of RCing. As a group you make us all strive to be better modelers and the wealth of information that I have gleaned from my short time here has been not invaluable but greatly appreciated.
My hats off to our fellow Avenger modelers and Charlie Kellogg for his awesome kit and sowing the seed to get a great group of people together.

Larry
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suppose we will only need to get France, Spain, New Zealand, Brazil and Uruguay schemes finished by other Kellogg modelers to get all the countries covered that enlisted the services of the Avenger.

I thought about doing an Avenger from the Yorktown, but the pacific schemes all kind of look the same to me. They look good, mind you, but they are not very distinctive from one another. Brian and Charlie himself have the Atlantic covered pretty well, Chic has the Royal Air Force, so that left me to do some searching for Royal Navy schemes.

I like the one I'm leaning towards. It's going to be bright and visible, despite the solid base color. Like I said, I have some more research to do before I decide that this will be the final paint.

Larry, any images to share of the Canadian Avenger your modeling?

more detail painting tonight after dinner.

Will be in touch soon.

Noah

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service