Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey got a present to share with you fellow avengeraholics

Here is the TBM Avenger Paint Manual from the us dept telling the exact specs etc this is an official manual http://www.proflooney.net/tbmAvenger_paint_manual.pdf
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 AM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the turret we just completed for this model:

http://www.iflytailies.com/store/ins...m-instruments/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Turret 5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1912317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turret 4.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1912318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turret 3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	1912319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turret 1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1912320  
Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my level best to find the scale dimensions and costs but came up empty. Could you provide?

Thanks in advance

Ray W.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wednesday I will be going over to see the avenger and taking a ton of photos with rulers tape measures etc so that most every pic has a dimention with it other than when I do full front or side photos so if anyone needs something particular let me know.

my main focus of this photo shoot will be the wing fold mechanism with all the dims and the main gear. I will also be doing other photos but those 2 and some dims inside the cockpit are what I am looking at for this trip. since the plane is only like 70 miles away I will be able to do more trips but am concentrating on my design stage. I started a thread covering my design of this and the ref materials I am using over on rcscalebuilder in case anyone needs ref I am usually putting it up there http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=20767&PN=1

its a slow design since like i said before i really didnt have time to design this but I have a customer asking abt one so i figured i might as well work on it when i can
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking gun turrent assembly. Would like more information. Chic
Old 08-25-2013, 04:14 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

Originally Posted by redtail
Nice looking gun turrent assembly. Would like more information. Chic
email sent
Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Ranger1-00

Chic, How's the paint coming? Hoping you get the Dog finished soon so you can get back on the Avenger! Aloha ~ Barrett
Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 AM
redtail

Aloha Colonel, front, side, and rear windows are in, the green house roof panels are a couple of days from being ready to prime (screwed them up trying to sandwich the plywood/fiberglass panels between two glass panes under weight to have them perfectly flat, but, without a release agent, need not tell you what happen when I went to take it all apart. Another re-do, should be able to paint late next week. I keep looking over at the Avenger, its crying out to me for sure. Thanks for the motivation. My best to the girls. Chic
Old 09-04-2013, 04:42 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,
small update, we got the flap fixed, rebalanced the plane with the cowl and are ready to go in the next couple of weeks (have to wait for John my build partner to get out of fishing mode)
strange thing happened when we had the plane at the field, sunny day temps around 84, plane was on the field for about an hour and we noticed that the glass was bubbling up in spots.
all I can think of is that we missed a few spots with the resin and the heat expanded the painted glass.
It not terrible but it's there..any suggestions?
Chic, I expect to see serious progress on the Avenger when the wife and I finally get there to have dinner with you and Shirley (not to mention picking up the Boxcar). Now roll up the E2C plans that are probably water stained for your drooling over them and get cracking LOL

Larry
Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 PM
redtail

Larry, Great news on your airframe except you got me on the bubbling up of the painted glass. Maybe the more experienced builders can draw a bead on that problem. Wow, I'm surely waiting to hear from someone on that fix. Funny you mentioned, should be starting back on the Avenger by mid to late September. Smile, god knows I'm happy bout that. By the way, a RCU fellow came to the rescue on the above problem I had with my pane glass, epoxy, fiberglass, and wood sandwich. A little mylar, car wax, and the sandwich nearly fell apart on its own. The wood pieces for the glass house over the cockpit came out perfect. Now I have another great excuse to get to Famous Dave's. Smile. Chic
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

If this was on the molded glass pieces did you clean them thoroughly with dish soap and hot water before you did any sanding or paint application? Don
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 AM
lkahn4

Don thanks for the input. No, this was on the wing, cloth over balsa. Tacked the balsa before laying down the glass. The only thing I can think of is that we missed a spot or 2 and there is just air between the glass and the balsa, the paint is not letting the air to escape and that is what might be causing the bubbling. I will have to watch for this when I finally start glassing the wing on the T-28 Trojan I'm working on.
P-38 update, repaired, new battery for the onboard glow and nice weather predicted for Sunday, let's hope the engines cooperate....
Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

I have been using Stitts Smooth Prime for several years on both full scale and models. It is a high fill water base primer/sealer that is great for pinholes and sands like you can't believe. It is sold by Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. I also like West System epoxy products. Don
Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Ranger1-00

Chic, Ive been checking this thread each night after work, waiting to see pictures of PAINT! Also waiting to see the building board cleaned up so you can get cracking on the fuse for the "Venger".... Don't make come all the way back there and pull rank to get to see some progress... Give my best to Shirley! Girls are doing great... We miss you guys!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:27 PM
redtail

Wellllllllll, I will certainly interpret that as a direct order. You are right about getting some paint on the DAWG and the board cleared. Updates coming. Hope your 49ers handle tonight's game. So very glad to hear the girls are doing well. God bless them. Check your six Colonel. Chic
Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 PM
redtail

Hey guys, I'm back. Onto the Avenger. Smile. Decided now that the DAWG is technically finished, I am moving it off the bench and putting the Avenger back on. I will paint the two of them together in the spring. God is good. Now to get all that dust off of her. Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0730.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1925981   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0727.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1925982   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0728.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1925983   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0729.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	1925984  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 PM
lkahn4

Chic,
Beautiful work, can't believe the detail.
Hoping to get the Avenger in the air this weekend weather permitting
Hope all is well and that you're not giving Shirley a hard time...LOL

Larry
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
redtail

Great hearing from you and Noah. You guys are examples of the "real" people involved in this hobby. Appreciate your wonderful thoughts, I just hope I can build as well as you, Noah, Pete, and Charlie. I want to be just like you guys when I grow up. Smile. Now where did I put those fuse plans???? Chic
Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 PM
lkahn4

Me too, if I get to be half as good as them I'll be extremely happy
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Ranger1-00

Chic, The DAWG looks great! Wish I was able to see it in person. Last I saw the Fuse Plans were on the wall by your drill press and your belt sander! Now lets get to it, lord knows the Steelers aren't worth watching this year! -- Barrett
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
redtail

Miss hanging out with ya Colonel. But someone has to control the waves in Hawaii. Smile. Roger that about Pittsburgh, sure frees up my Sunday afternoon. Thanks for helping me location those plans. I will get to work on the Avenger before the month is over. Can't wait. Stay well everyone. Charlie, if you are watching, what do you think about the idea of ProfLooney regarding the rudder/stab scale location. I do not see why I can not show the scale opening of the rudder and elevator controls. Would you move it all back an inch or so, I don't see where it is necessary? Chic
Old 10-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Firebar
My Feedback: (3)

Chic, Sorry to take so long to reply to your post. I follow several threads on RCU and check them almost every day. It is great to hear that you are getting back to your Avenger.

I have been trying to avoid getting into a disagreement about scale documentation and three view drawings. There are many three view drawings of most popularly modeled planes including the Avenger. All of these three view drawings have differences. That is why the AMA requires that the modeler supply the judges with the three view drawing he used for this model.

At the beginning of my instruction manual I state that I used the three view drawing from the book “TBM Avenger in action”. I figured that the book has been widely distributed and it would be easy, for the builder, to get the three view drawing for their documentation. I scanned the three view drawing and traced it into AutoCad. I can’t think of a better way to get the scale outline to match the drawing. I would not modify the elevator location from the plans. The worst way to build a scale model is to try to combine multiple three view drawings. Which one would you give to the scale judges then? We also know that the Avenger built to my plans flies terrific.

Proflooney mentioned in his build thread that the elevator in my plan is in the wrong location. He is assuming that the three view drawing that he downloaded from a Japanese website is more correct than the one I scanned from the “TBM Avenger In Action” book. Maybe it is a more accurate drawing maybe not. The point is that it doesn’t matter, the outline of the model must match the three view that you provide to the judges.

I think that you could add the rudder cutout easily. There are at least four photos of the rudder cutout in the “Walk around” photo section of the construction CD. I did not join my elevator halves together and omitted the rudder cutout.

Charlie
Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 PM
redtail

Charlie, your wonderful for your wisdom and advice. I will use the same drawings you used for competition and certainly not change any stab/rudder location. I too am happy to get back to my first love. Will keep you posted on all that I do. Chic
Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM
JWGreening

I totally concur with Charlie's answer concerning three view drawings and the AMA rule. Unless one has access to original factory drawings everything else is open to interpretation and small errors by the draftsman who is re-rendering them. For instance a curve drawn at a slightly different arc than the original is still a deviation even though the profile might not appear to change. The AMA rule is flexible enough to allow for variations in the different reproduced drawings. I do consider it very poor taste for an individual to come into a forum requesting possibly pirated files, then turning around and criticizing people for not providing them, especially the owner/producer of those files. Bottom line is Prof Looney's drawings will be more accurate in some areas but will be less accurate in others - guaranteed. I'm sure it will fly and I wish him luck. I however will not bother to check his thread as I am wondering what else he has pirated without due credit. nuff of that ranting.

Chic I look forward to seeing more of your builds!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM
redtail

JWGreening, thanks for you kind words. Keeping up with these guys, Charlie, Noah, Peter and Larry is a huge task and a heck of a group of great guys to follow. After the Avenger, will be a Johnny O 1/5 scale T-28, then back to Charlie's design of the Navy Tracker twin. I really wanted the E2C Hawkeye but the Tracker with dome will do ------ for now. At least until Charlie can adjust his drawings to lay in the Hawkeye. Smile. I certainly support what you and Charlie have said and will follow to the letter. Right on with the comments of the other gentleman. Again, thanks. Chic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.