RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 AM
2engsout
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Chic, in my previous post, I did not know that you were going to use that engine. I thought a single cyl. inverted 2 stroke, thus, my baffleing for the airflow entry and exit would pertain. But, I would not attempt to put a double row dummy engine in front of your engine. A single row 7 cyl. would probably still allow adequate entry airflow with the proper baffling and still look nice. You WILL NEED need entry baffleing to direct all "available" airflow to the cylinders and OUT of the engine compartment...be thinking about the airflow exit stratagy...which is straight behind the cylinders thru the open cowl flaps. You do not want to squeeze down the exit opening behind the cylinders too much, so keep exit airflow short and straight,,,if at all possible..... Your arrangment is OK,,,if, you remove the balsa behind the cylinders, and also build glass cloth baffles to direct the exit airflow for a smooth transistion past the firewall thru the cowl flaps. Air is stupid and needs to be told where to go at all times... I did this on a Miester FW190 with a Brisson 105cc opposed twin. Worked great! And there is only a 1" opening between the edge of the spinner and the inside rim of the cowl opening....I used the wire screen from a screen door to form the base for all baffles, get it shaped the way you want it, then lay some 1/2 oz. glass cloth over it, tack it with thin CA to hold it in place, and apply the resin. I don't know if I can get any pics of that installation for you.....just my 2 cents.....Rick
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Noah, those nasty little people called students have completely put me off my feet. They have highly infected me with something. Even with a flu shot, some kind of bug, presented by them, has put me on my butt. I have been in bed for almost a week. Hopefully, I can get better quickly because I have to take Shirley to Vegas for Xmas. However, I had to finish the cowl mount/motor mount/firewall combo to put it into the mail to Florida to get my muffler built. So I got out of the bed and its done. Thanks for asking about me Noah. Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88777.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1091851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18749.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1091852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35137.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1091853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93178.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1091854  
Old 12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2nd set of photos:

Name:	Fd90570.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1091855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18876.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1091856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71851.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1091857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11848.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1091858  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:14 AM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Chic. Yes, you'd better rest up so you can and Shirley have fun in NV!

As I indicated, I was in traveling over the weekend, and I've been busing trying to finish a bunch of projects at work, so I have nothing new to share. But I anticipate spending some time on my Avenger this coming weekend and the following week.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Noah
Old 12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's alive, it's alive, I mean, I'm alive. Got an email from Dennis, Glennis Wheels, who said he did the wheels/brakes on Sunday. He cut off 5/16" and everything should now be ok. I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash. Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but my still lite up workshop waiting for me to appear. Out onto the new fallen snow did I run, hardly moving one flake of snow. OK, enough. Went out to the shop, looked over the pieces of my center section and said what the heck.... It went together nicely but I did make a mistake. So for those of you who have not started yet, please note. I forgot to insert the rear support mounting pieces for landing gear legs. Now I'll have to figure out how to support them. All is well on the home front, Noah, Frank, Gibb, I'm now a little less behind you guys. Merry Xmas to all and to all a good night. Chic

Name:	Lj21687.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1094585  
Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redtail

I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash. Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but my still lite up workshop waiting for me to appear. Out onto the new fallen snow did I run, hardly moving one flake of snow...... Merry Xmas to all and to all a good night. Chic
You're a Longfellow with short feet, Chic, just don't quit your day job Glad you're back in the groove, the Avenger is looking good.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I...... I took out my GPS to see which one the liquor store was on. HO ! HO ! HO !!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Happy New Year to all, especially those who love the TBM Avenger. Chic
Old 01-01-2009, 11:31 AM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Chic. And Happy New Year to you, too!

I have still been making good progress... update and photos this Sunday.

Regards,

Noah
Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well guys, I actually got out of bed for a couple of hours and the "Center Section" is complete. W6 is in place, the W6 supports are in place, W6 has been sanded and is thus level with W1 thru W6. I'm so proud of myself. I need to glue in the 1/8 stringer and the 1/8 x 3/4 piece at the rib trailing edge for the flap plywood to be laid in place. I'm slow but I'm working on it. You guys lead the way, I have my candle lit and I'm following you all. Chic
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glennis, Glennis, Glennis - I thank you for all of your focused effort. You have certainly come to the rescue. I rec'd my wheels from Glennis today and I could not ask for more. The fit is right on. Dennis trimmed 1/16's of inches off the wheels until if passed Charlies' requirement. My wheels and brakes fit within the 3 & 1/2 in max height. I could not be happier. I heard today also from Karl Reinhold of Bold Mufflers, Florida (karl@boldmufflers.com) who has finished and shipped to me the muffler for my BME 116 twin. It is spot on with this build. Here are a few pictures of the wheels. Will get pictures of the muffler when it arrives. Now to get at those wing panels. I have tickets to watch the Inagural Parade but you must be kidding trying to get into DC Jan 20th. God Bless America. Chic

Name:	Lq38292.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1111021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41038.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1111022  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 AM
GlennisAircraft
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's good Chic - thanks again.

This is normal though, it is the difference in our product besides being truly scale (and not just advertised as "scale") is the fact that you don't just get something off of the shelf, but can get what you actually need, even if it has to be specially designed/manufactured.

Dennis
Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 AM
weaksgt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Chic. Had a chance today to hop on RCU and check out the Avenger project. Very impressive. Have not copied the Swordfish plans yet but will early next week and get them on their way to you. It is too cold for words in Michigan this week. We might warm up to freezing by Monday. Take care.
-Gary

Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey redtail, don't want to hijack your thread, but here is some motivation of my 124 inch TBF flying. Lost her after about 5 years and 400+ flights due to one cyclinder out in Denver[:@] Keep pluggin away and you will have a popular rare warbird at every event you go to. Good luck with her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2sXm...e=channel_page

Jeff
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeff, many, many thanks. That video really motivation for all of us building the TBM. Did you draw up the plans for the 124" aircraft? Wow, are you going to build another one? What did you power it with? Chic
Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get this: I found these plans in an old 1980 copy of a full scale warbird magazine. There is a company that used to offer RC plans. I bought a set. They were called "Scale RC plans. They offered the TBF, Hellcat, B-17 and a few others I cannot remember. My TBF plans were for a 60.75 inch (.60 size) TBF-1C. They are dated 1971 and drawn by Walter Otzell. I enlarged them 200 percent to get the plans to 124 inches when it was said and done. The planew weighed 51 pounds without fuel, and a custom set of gear from Darrell at Sierra (these were the prototype for all TBF/TBM gear he offers now). The canopy was 1/8 ply bows with plastic inserts. I got lucky and found a ball turrent in Texas from Errol Winson (he had a 125 inch TBF on display at Toledo in about 2001 that was my inspiration). He was a great modeler and man, but was unfortunately killed in a full scale engine flame-out on take-off in Texas some years back. The cowl was wood built up. The outer panels plugged in with scale wing break lines that fooled many people in to thinking that the wings actually folded (the genius of a friend of mine, Bob Pokorny..a modeler of 79 years now). The engine was a 104cc inline Quadra twin built by Tom Sabatini of Milwaukee, WI....he is a magic engine builder....this engine is now about 17 years old. I flew it with a 26X10 prop to try and keep a slower, more scale speed, but it was fast anyway. As I said, I had the plane for 5 years with at least 400 flights. The original tires actually dry rotted on me.

I was flying it at a fly-in in Denver in 2006 on a hot day. The plane struggled in to the air, and on my initial turn, the rear cylinder went cold. I kept flying straight, but the tail began to sag. I looked at my buddy and said "ya know, eventually, I am going to have to turn this pig, and as soon as I do, it's gonna snap". Well, I flew straight as long as I could, made the turn.....and it snapped[&o], 3/4 spin and in the dirt for a total loss. But 5 years is a good run.

I really miss it and WILL build another someday. Some advise Errol informed me of that proved true on my bird:

With the mid wing, it has a tendency to blank out the elevator on takeoff and roll out due the high nose angle when sitting on the gear (ain;t it cool?). Keep the tail down as long as you can and steer with rudder/tailwheel until you have good speed to make the rudder effective for tail up control when the tailwheel leaves the ground. The tail has a tendency to come up quick due to the ground angle during rollout, but if it comes up too early, you may not have enough speed for good airflow over the rudder to make it effective. The end result will then be a ground loop. Nothing too worrysome, just be aware.

On landing, same applies. Come in a little tail high at touchdown and keep the tail up for a bit until you bleed off speed. Tail down too quick, blanked elevator...ground loop. Again, nothing too big to worry about...just be aware.

Otherwise, they fly great and look awesome in the air. A photo pass is a great site.

Wish you the best with your Turkey.

Jeff
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rec'd the muffler today for the Avenger's BME 116 Twin from Bold Mufflers. It is a beautiful work of art. Check out the photos. Check out his card for his phone/email address. His name is Karl. Really, a true professional and nice fellow to work with. I also framed up the left wing panel. Following Noah's instructions, everything worked out great. Thanks Noah. Chic

Name:	Wu60218.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1115660   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43867.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1115661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93906.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1115662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39248.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1115663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97100.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1115664  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, it’s been a long while (almost 3 months!), and I’ve accumulated a bunch of photos, so I thought I should update the thread while I have a bit of time (something that has not been easy to come by lately).
My wing is basically done, with the exception of the flaps and the ailerons. I have some old photos of some earlier steps, so I thought I would post them with short descriptions of the work. I'm starting to get the photos jumbled and out of sequence, its been so long...

Can’t even really remember where I left off last time, but here’s what I for old photos. I prepped the plywood hinges by adding a bit of G-10 to each side with epoxy. Once cured, the hinges were cut and trimmed out of the G-10 sheet and set aside. I then added balsa blocks for the aileron hinges, then added a cap strip to the aileron cut-out. After that drilled and filed slots for the hinges in the trailing edge, then epoxied the hinges in place.

Name:	Ig12759.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1148077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61566.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1148078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87589.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1148079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10233.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1148080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86792.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1148081  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Next I did the leading edge slots. Just used some 1/16 balsa here, which will eventually be wrapped with some styrene, because as Charlie himself suggests, it’s very hard to get that wood glassed and finished and looking good because there’s really no room to work in those slots. Anyway, once the balsa was in, it was trimmed flush with the tops and bottoms of the adjacent ribs. I still have to find the photos, but I also added some wire stiffeners to the balsa in these slots, so that they were straight. hard to describe, I'll try and find some photos in a bit.

Anyway, I then moved on to the servos bays. I decided to mount my servos to ply plates, and then just screw the plates to the bottom of the wing. My method was to box off the area and reinforce it with triangle stock. Once the bottom was sheeted, I trimmed the sheeting so that the ply plate that the servo mounts to will drop right into the recess. More photos to follow detailing that stuff.

Name:	Db83742.jpg
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1148083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73528.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1148084   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26375.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1148085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53174.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1148086  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Next I did the hinges for the flaps. I used Dubro flat hinges with cotter-pins. Recessed them in the flap trailing edge and the secured with epoxy and tooth picks. I've never used these before, so I hope this methods proves strong enough.

I also found a picture of the wire stiffeners I used to support the balsa that forms the leading edge slots.

I also uncovered a few photos that make a point that might be helpful to those who follow... the contours and the leading edges of my outer panel ribs were not quite in perfect alignment. As I think I said a long time ago, many of my ribs did not match Charlie's drawings, so I had to massage them a bit here and there. Anyway, one consequence of this was that the leading edges were not perfect. To fiz this issue, I weighted the wing over the plans with the washout jig in place and then used a stright edge to "find the line." Some of the ribs needed to be built up, and others needed to be sanded down a little. Despite all this, the airfoil was still ok (all ribs were ok on top and bottom), it was just the leading edge that came outy a little whacky. Easy fix.

Name:	Zx72056.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1148119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10309.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1148120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95354.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1148121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41487.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1148122  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So last posts for the night before I go and dig though and label all the other photos.

Once the sub-leading edge balsa was added, the wing was ready for bottom sheeting. Layed a sheet over the plans with the washout jig in place, and then layed the wing over that sheet. Made sure the wing was actually over the plans, and then weighted it and then glued the sheeting to the ribs and leading edge.

The over-sized sheeting was trimmed on all edges and then I moved back to the servo bays. I cut though the sheeting where each bay was "boxed" and then further trimmed the sheeting back another 5mm so that the plywood plate would drop into the recess and so that there would be some wood to accommodate the screws that will hold the plate to the bottom of the wing.

Name:	Db84963.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1148123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71021.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1148124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80219.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1148125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16752.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1148126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73549.jpg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1148127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31758.jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1148128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj88370.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1148129  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never seem to be able to upload those photos in the appropriate order. Oh well.

So I'll sift through the rest of my pictures and update again later this week.

I basically have been waiting to start he fuse until I take delivery of my motor... not sure what's taking so long?!?!?

Be in touch soon.

Hope all is well out there, Chic, Frank and Jim.

Best,

Noah
Old 03-01-2009, 11:21 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Noah, Noah, thanks for keeping this thread alive. I believe I'm back in the saddle again. I went out to the shop today, cleaned it up, sorted everything, and started working on the other outside panel. The center and left panel are completed. Should have it almost completed by Wednesday. Question on the wing slots shown in your great photos, haven't checked the plans so I need a heads up, is the curve of the slots shown on the plans somewhere? Will follow your lead on the flap hinges. Will also "DOUBLE" up the elevator and rudder G-10 hinge pieces for further support. I only used one piece per ply hinge. Good idea. I like the screw in servo panels, will certainly borrow that idea also. Smile. You said your outside panel leading edges did not quite line up, ???? do you mean line up with the center section leading edge???? Again, you have me ready to go out to the shop to check. Good to be back. Take care my friend. Chic
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, Chic.

Glad to be back, and glad to hear that you're ready to roll again, too!

The contour of the leading edge slots is dictated by a set of rib doublers. I don;t have the part numbers (at work right now) but I can check when I get home. They are basically a set of small false ribs that get tacked against the full ribs. They are very small, but range in sizes that match the ribs to which they are supposed to be glued.

Regarding my mis-matched leading edges, W-7 matched the center section (recall it's oversized anyway), but when the main bottom spar was aligned over the plans, the leading edges of several of the out panel ribs were either too long or too short (this was evident when I dry-fitted the 1/4 square leading edge wood. I just made sure all was over the plans, and then adjusted the ribs (and the notches for the 1/4 square stiffener). Once the straight leading edge was established (over the plans and with the 1/4 square glued in) I then had to match the contours of some of the ribs to match the ribs on either side.

I'll dig for some more photos tonight and see if I can come up with something illustrative.

Be in touch soon.

Noah
Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
redtail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK Noah, I understand perfectly about the alignment, I did a similar rehabilitation. We had a snow day from school today, so I'm home working on the other outter panel. Will head for the shop to hunt down the ribs for the slots. Again, thanks for being there. Chic
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM
butlern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorted some more pictures to share.

Once the servo bays were cut and the bottom sheeting was trimmed, I moved on to cutting in the wheel wells.

Here I installed the outer panels on the center section and then installed the main gear. I released the gear and slowly lowered it onto the bottom sheeting. This dictated where I needed to cut the sheeting to accommodate the wheels. Working slowly (removing a little wood at a time), I continued to open the hole in the bottom of the wing until the wheel dropped right in. One of the photos also shows (view from leading edge) how close the wheel comes to the rib that rides along the top sheeting. In order to get the wheel in the wing, this rib was almost completely cut and sanded away, so I reinforced it with 2-56 wire (see next post). The purpose for reinforcing the rib is to strengthen the top sheeting. This also helps prevent distortion of the airfoil during application of the top wing sheeting (possibly distorted by weight added to hold down the sheeting while the adhesive dries).

Right, so once both wheel wells were cut and trimmed, I used the provided ply wheel well ring to reinforce the sheeting. This was tacked in with CA and then the sheeting was further sanded around the cutout. The wheels fit perfectly, so I was pretty happy with how smoothly this process went.

Name:	Zx72631.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1149785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84851.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1149786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18200.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	60.2 KB