Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail
Paul - I come to WOD every year with the guys from PGRC in Bowie, Maryland. Chic
She looks great Chic! You didn't take her outside on Sunday?! It was beautiful. :-)

I fly with DC/RC. Hopefully I can make it out to WoD again next year and will definitely look for you and the Avenger. The weathering looks really good by the way.

Paul
Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul - I'm smiling here. You are right, Sunday was a beautiful day. HOWEVER - I did not want to commit Social Suicide on Sunday by working in the shop and taking the Avenger outside, sliding on the wings, and seeing girlfriend in all her glory. Sunday was time spent with the wife's family, therefore I lived to exist another day. Ha, Ha. Chic
Old 11-27-2018, 04:50 PM
redtail

Well with the cold weather setting in, I have decided to do a few odd and ends (such as connect flaps, install motor) on the Avenger and set it aside till the Spring for balancing, motor startup/runs, taxi tests, range checks, and maiden/trim flights. Once those odds/ends are completed, I will then begin a build thread on either RCUNIVERSE and/or RCSCALEBUILDER on the Kerry Sterner "DeHavilland Sea Vixen" Jet. I certainly pray the build does not take as long as the marathon build of the Avenger. The Avenger build, has been a long, tedious, yet marvelous journey but I do not wish that to repeat itself. God is Good but I guess he needed to teach me a lesson. I am thankful for the comments, advice, and suggestions given to me by all of you fellow builders who have been with me for the long run, and have become very close friends. Please Note: Friends "Not" just for this build but for as long as I am above ground. Smile. Please Note: I could not have accomplished this build without each and every one of you.

I must take a minute for a bit of a philosophy lesson: This Is But A Hobby - the lesson I have learned over this build is that I need to keep that fact clearly in mind and in perspective --- that this is a hobby. I must keep that thought close to my heart, and not lose sight of the rest of life constantly around me. Overall, I generally kept my health, my lovely wife has had a few big hits and scares, but together, we are making good out of bad.

When I start this jet build, I ask that all of you continue to pitch in and keep those words of wisdom and insight coming. Each time I enter the shop, I have a great smile on my face as I look at the TBF Avenger. I have accomplished much with only a very short way to go. I hope you are all enjoying and understand what I am saying. I dearly love this hobby but I have to understand, it doesn't ………….

You can add what you think. Waiting to hear from you in the near future when I return to the Avenger build in the Spring. Chic
Old 11-27-2018, 05:25 PM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done, Chic. And very well stated.

Looking forward to the next steps, on either this Avenger or the Sea Vixen!

All the best,

Noah
Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

So very well said Chic! Looking forward to hearing more on both the Avenger and the Sea Vixen. All the best to you and your wife!

Paul
Old 11-27-2018, 11:44 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chic, can you post a link when starting the Sea Vixen? All the best to you and your family.
Reuben
Old 11-28-2018, 05:30 AM
redtail

Thanks Guys, Thanks. Will do Rueben. Chic
Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Ranger1-00

Wait a minute Chic! Hold the phone!!! You can’t start the Sea Vixen until you complete the aircraft carrier for the back yard! I know the plans and supply list were posted somewhere in this thread.... time to get hot in your “boat” construction! :-)

fantastic work my friend.... can’t wait to visit and see the Venger again in person! Oh yeah, and aunt Shirley too! Can’t wait to see her in person again too!!!! Hahahahaha.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:16 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chic.
I have run out of words to describe your build. I second your comment about "it's a hobby (which I told you about 300 posts ago)" and to all the friends we have made on this thread.
My build buddy and I couldn't have finished our Avenger without the help and tutelage of all including Noah (who I barraged with ?'s), yourself and a special thank you to CHARLIE whose plans and kit have introduced me to some of the most friendly and fantastic people I have known in my 70 years on the planet.
Charlie was another very special friend who was never further away than an email or phone call when we were having a problem or ? with the build.
This is one very special group of friends who never hesitates to put in their 2 cents (in a good way) and talk you through a question or problem.

Larry
Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 PM
redtail

Larry - You have touched our hearts (Shirley and I) over the years. Such that you, Noah, Ranger1, and so many others will never be forgotten. I am finally accepting the fact that there is much more to life then the hobby (shhhh, not much more). Ranger, Shirley has a big hug for you when you get back. She has already sent hugs to Larry and Noah. The journey will go on. You are so very right about Charlie. He was always available to talk with for help. By the way, the Sea Vixen will be built on rcscalebuilder. One scale model on each great website. Chic
Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 PM
peter w h

Ten out of ten Chic !
Old 12-02-2018, 06:49 AM
redtail

Hello Peter, great hearing from you - way up north. Sort of miss my time in N. Dakota and travelling up into Canada. Still pondering your question of the weight of the Avenger. Will know fully in the Spring. Chic
Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 AM
redtail

This cartoon really touched me. The TBF Avenger took "41" to Heaven to be with His Wife and Daughter. Chic
Old 12-02-2018, 07:13 AM
maser

Chic,

Will you be doing a maiden shortly? Make a video. I love the paint scheme.

Boyd.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM
redtail

Boyd - Maiden scheduled in the Spring. Video for sure. Happy Holidays To You "ALL" Chic
Old 12-02-2018, 10:16 AM
maser

Chic,

Merry Christmas to all.

It's amazing the friendships that can be obtained on these threads.

BTW - "Vixen" this sounds like a mistress, are you sure your not playing with us.

Glad to hear Shirley is doing good.

Boyd.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:01 PM
redtail

Boyd - Very thoughtful of you. However Shirley checked it out first. "Vixen" she said, who is that. I quickly said, "It is not a she - here let me show you a photo. Ha, Ha. I slowly wiped the sweat from my forehead. Boyd, you are so right about the "Good People That Surround Us" here on RCU. Like Larry said, it would be kool if we all got together to fly. Maybe one of these days. A Blessed and Great Holiday to All. Chic
Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Chic,
It's going to be cold for the next several days.. Stay warm bro!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 AM
redtail

Cold is right BobH. Hope you are doing well - way down there in lower Virginia. Smile. To all the guys, I just opened a build thread on RCSCALEBUILDER on the DeHavailland DH-110 Sea Vixen under Forums - Scale Jets. Thought I would build one scale model on each website. I haven't left completely, smile. Will faithfully be following Larry's build and any other builds of this family. I will return in the Spring to finish up the Avenger details and finally maiden this puppy. Happy Holidays to you "ALL". Visit with my build when you can. Chic
Old 12-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm.... I wondered why this place went quiet on me. Somehow, I got logged out and missed a few updates. Welp,., back in order it would appear. Aboard USS Yorktown CV-10, a memorial wreath was placed in front of the display TBF. Nice touch.

Ray W.

Last edited by Kinner; 12-14-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Photo add
Old 12-15-2018, 05:45 AM
redtail

Nice touch to a good man. Thanks for the photo Ray. Chic
Old 12-15-2018, 06:19 AM
lkahn4

A touching tribute to a Great man...…

Larry
Old 12-15-2018, 06:58 AM
redtail

Roger That My Brother. Chic
Old 12-15-2018, 07:07 AM
maser

Chic,

You've been holding out. I found the Vixen thread and the "Weathering White" thread by accident on RC Scale.

When you look at the response from the various members it's amazing how much I don't know.

Boyd
Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 AM
lkahn4

Boyd,
Couldn't agree more. Found that I positioned one flap servo wrong, in the midst of repairing my dumb mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.