Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Does it count as a warbird?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Does it count as a warbird?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 11:19 PM
boyd63
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it count as a warbird?

I'm about to start back on a small project I began on about three years ago. It's a small (.60 size) Aeroneca Champ and I'm going to do it up in late forty's, early fifties Civil Air Patrol markings. I have some photo documentation and already have some great vinyl graphics.
My question is, do you think it counts as a "Warbird" ?
I already have a nice collection of warbirds in my hanger, and was wondering if anyone would be offended it I showed up at a warbird flyin with a Civil Air Patrol replica?

Thanks,

Damon

http://www.nomacnews.com
Old 03-17-2002, 12:30 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the photo documentation, why not?

Vince
Old 03-17-2002, 02:14 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the CAP is an auxilliary of the Air Force and in this context it would be as much of a warbird as an L4. I'll probably get corrected by my more knowledgable peers. That's ok also.

Ken
Old 03-17-2002, 03:27 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Even if the CAP is not considered "military" the Champ was certainly used by the military and so qualifies as a warbird whether it's painted in warbird colors or not. If I showed up at a warbird fly in with a Mustang in civilian colors I'm guessing they would not turn me away so why not a Champ? Just my .02 cents. Best of luck with it, Chad.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:43 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Champ as warbird

It would probably qualify if you ever finish it. I've been hearing about that plane for almost as long as it took me to finish the AT-6
Later
Old 03-19-2002, 01:13 PM
boyd63

Default Yea, Yea, Yea!

Your right, I deserved that.
If my Jugs quit falling out of the sky, I'll get a chance to finish it!
All I need now is for L454 to chime in.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:10 AM
Vince

Default Re: Champ as warbird

Originally posted by Fighterpilot
It would probably qualify if you ever finish it. I've been hearing about that plane for almost as long as it took me to finish the AT-6
Later
Ouch, that hurt, I hope you guy know each other.

Vince
Old 03-21-2002, 04:24 AM
boyd63

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone, for your input. As soon as I work the kinks out of my current fleet, It's back to finishing the Champ.

Thank again,
Happy thumbing.
Damon
Old 03-21-2002, 04:54 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

This issue came up at our local Warbird Pylon Racing Association last year and then again this prior to the new season.

Seems some crafty guys came up by way of Arizona to race in a local SWRA race with a flock of Nelson powered/Cub/Quickie racers and proceeded to spank the locals with all the heavy metal. It was incredible seeing those Cubs with Quickie wings, no dihedral and Nelson Q500 engines screaming around the course. You just had to see it to believe it.

Any way we decided that Cubs or the like did not really fill the bill for a heavy metal Warbird. So we outlawed them. Yes they did see service in the war, along with Aeronica's, Cessna's and Chipmunks and many other's. We felt it was a stretch of the imagination to allow these models to fly with Heavy Metal Warbird Fighters. Not to mention they were modified extremes of the real aircraft.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:32 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Competition brings out the cheat

I don't know one racing event in which the competitors will not push the rules envelope to its extreme, wether it's cars, boats, or planes. That's why the rules have to be very narrow with absolutely no room for interpretation. Look at the unlimited racing events of a few years ago when no one intended the Glassair to be competing with warbirds and winning. The rules had to be changed again. It almost comes down to a point where you have to specify the aircraft that will be allowed in certain races and that there can be no modifications to the aircraft beyond a certain point. Engine, span, chord, wing thinkness, weight, etc., all have to be dictated to be within certain limits to keep it fair and competitive. It's tough, if not impossible, to have a racing event that is determined by pilot skill alone.

Yeah, Vince, we know one another. Fly together all the time, but that's no reason to be nice to him. If I was any easier on him, he'd think I didn't like him.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:54 PM
boyd63

Default Don't Worry

Oooof, don't worry, if I ever finish this model, I won't be entering it in any races.
Don't pay too much attention to Fighterpilot's opinion on Cubs, he has a reputation for flying right through them.
And to boot, whenever this little project is finished, I'm gonna have to con Fighterpilot into clearcoating the paint job.

Thanks,
Old 03-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Don't Worry

Originally posted by boyd63
Oooof, don't worry, if I ever finish this model, I won't be entering it in any races.
Don't pay too much attention to Fighterpilot's opinion on Cubs, he has a reputation for flying right through them.
And to boot, whenever this little project is finished, I'm gonna have to con Fighterpilot into clearcoating the paint job.

Thanks,
You can fly your machine at the Jetero RC Club's Warbird Races, 04/06 (NE Houston, TX area) and have a chance to win part of the $1000.00 we give away. Like take first overall ($200) then also win fast time pylon (50), People's Choice (50) best scale (50) high point pylon (50) and you will have had a nice day.
Our races require demonstration of sit-alone idle and with static scale at 50% of score, heck, last year the slowest plane there took first place overall plus best scale. Got burger and beer money for the evening for sure.
Any machine that is a recognizable replica of any recip. aircraft that had a military designation is a *warbird* here.

Works for me.

HC
Old 03-22-2002, 01:41 AM
cesna182r

i am building a 1/4 scale champ and they were us by the military there was about 4 different versions