Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spychalla P-51 scale cowl and DA50

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spychalla P-51 scale cowl and DA50

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spychalla P-51 scale cowl and DA50

I have a a couple of questions. First Leo sent me a great photo of the angle to keep every thing in the cowl but....

1. Top Flite's Spinner is to small for Leo's cowl I wanted to double check the measurement at 5 1/2 ", and anyone got a source thats inexpensive and maybe pre dilled for a DA-50 (I'm very lazy!)

2. How do you mark where to mount the engine when the cowl is on after I line it up with the cowl? I am sure there is a trick to this but if I knew it I wouldn't be posting...

All input welcome and Leo if your reading this I know you thought you were done when you sent me those last pictures, but I promise this will be my last question.
thanks in advance
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11577.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1041453  
Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Spychalla P-51 scale cowl and DA50

Peter,

I'll try to help you out and point you in the right direction, yet somewhere there is a line between providing a cowling and teaching people how to build airplanes. General instructions just don't apply when everybody is using a different engine, muffler combination, prop extension, or no prop extension. The combinations are huge. So I try to stay away from going too far with comments or instruction on the everyday stuff because modelers have a dozen different ways of doing things that work and they are quick to tell me how their way is better and how much smarter they are. Even this post will likely draw one or two of them out of the woodwork. So not withstanding, here you go.

I ran downstairs and just shot 2 quick pictures that are representative. Do not look closely at these. This is just to give you an idea. I use 1.25" extensions on my engines so I don't quite do it this way myself, so the block of wood in there is just for looks. I do not use a chunk of 2X4 on my planes. Do this:

1. Remove the T-nuts from the back of the firewall and plug the holes.
2. Stand your fuse on its tail and get gravity working for you.
3. Place the cowl on the nose and position it where you would be gluing it in place.
4. Create a stack of plywood as a standoff that give you the spacing between the spinner backplate and the cowl. (Do not use 2X4 as in my picture)
5. Move your engine around to the desired position and angle.
6. Mark and epoxy your wood block to the firewall.
7. Put it all together again and align everything.
8. Carefully mark your engine standoffs.
9. Remove the cowling and drill your holes.
10. Bond your cowling to the firewall.
11. Fill gap with your favorite filler. I use blue ultimate bondo from Walmart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45900.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1041547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95534.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1041548  
Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leo,

I would like to purchase one of your cowls, could you help me out with that?

Curt
Old 09-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

ORIGINAL: dvs1

Leo,

I would like to purchase one of your cowls, could you help me out with that?

Curt
Curt, I would be glad to. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you all the order information. There are two options. One with the lower hatch installed with flush screws, the second where you install the lower cowl yourself.

There are now 25 of these in the hands of modelers. Feedback has been positive. I am really looking forward to seeing some completions and hope that somebody posts their cowl installation and finished airplane. I have not been not been advertising because the word of mouth sales have kept me swamped with all the orders I can handle. It would be nice to get my own installation done before winter sets in. Leo
Old 09-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Doolittleraider

Leo thanks for that. Thats what I call customer service!! Short of like you said comming here and building it for me. I figured out steps 1-5 and I know about 9-11. 6,7, and 8 help alot even thats about how I am going to do it but I wanted to know if I was missing something simple. I guess I am on the right track. I really appreciate the rapid post and you taking your time out. The spinner is 5 1/2"? Right?
I will say for the record that I am extremely happy with Leo's cowl and it makes an average arc look about 100 times better in my opinion.
Leo, I'll post mine when its done. I also put up a post when I get my new spinner of it mounted.
thanks agin Leo, "your the man"
Peter
Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Peter,

5 1/2 inch. Don't mess with a cheap spinner. You'll have nearly a $2,000 airplane in your stable when you done. It deserves a good spinner that will outlast the plane. Get a Tru-Turn. Go to www.tru-turn.com They are about $185 cut and drilled to your engine and prop. Worth every penny when you find that you never have to hastle with it and it isn't going to fly apart and crash your plane. They are perfect. You could save $100 buck with some off brand but why? You already demonstrate to me that you will put the cash down for a good quality DA-50 engine and a new cowl. The spinner quality should be similar. Leo
Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Doolittleraider

Thats a big number, but your right I might as well go with the best just like the cowl.
thanks again Leo
All the best
Peter
Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Doolittleraider

Leo, Ps. just ordered my $200 tru-turn spinner. "Ouch!, Thats going to leave a mark!"