Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ginger's Hurricane Flys!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ginger's Hurricane Flys!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 09:08 PM
bobripley-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ginger's Hurricane Flys!

Hello All,

In January after I finished my Hawker Hurricane (mk.I), I promised to post first flight pictures and report in as to how well my rendering of Ginger Lacey's Hurri I flew. I am happy to report that the plane flew beautifully but not with out incident.
I asked trusted friend and fellow club member Dave Ellis to join me at our flying field for shake down testing and it’s first flight. First I took some pictures just in case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81132_14763.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	47830  
Old 05-24-2003, 09:11 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

great news Bob!
glad all went well.

Todd
Old 05-24-2003, 09:22 PM
bignasdy-RCU

what was the incident Bob?
d
Old 05-24-2003, 09:36 PM
hotrodmustang

Hey Bob great pic If I didn't know any better I would swear it was the real thing sitting there.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:08 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Ginger's Hurricane

Sorry

Dinner was calling but I'm back now.

Dave and I went through the shake down list:

1.) Check all control surfaces: Dave suggested that I reduce the low rate for the ailerons & elevator to about 45% (from 70%) of their high rate settings and I reduced the rudder to aileron mix to about 21%.
1.) Range test
2.) Engine start and check and both full throttle and idle.
3.) Range test with the engine running at low, mid, and full throttle.
4.) Slow taxi test
5.) High speed taxi test: (the tail lifted and the plane started to get light so I pulled back the throttle and the engine died). Boy did the Hurricane look beautifully!

We took the plane to the pit area, adjusted the idle trim and decided that everything looked good for a flight attempt.

Name:	81142_14763.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	47831  
Old 05-24-2003, 10:13 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Taxi out

The Idle was not as low as I would like but the transion to full power was crisp and decided to taxi out for take of. The ASP 1.08 is inverted on this model and runs really well but I am going to add a glow plug heater for a beeter low idle.

Name:	81143_14763.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	47832  
Old 05-24-2003, 10:16 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HURRI

Good job Bob Glad everything went off without a hitch. I know when i get mine done im gonna be on pins and needles til that first flight is done and then I go over it again with a fine tooth comb.

Joe
Old 05-24-2003, 10:20 PM
bignasdy-RCU

hes not finished Joe! get to work on those wurgers, and let the man finish!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:24 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default oh

well he said it lefted beautifully then they came back to adjust something lol i guess i need to read better.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:24 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Take off

No more excuses, time to see if this baby will fly.
Dave coached me to keep the plane running on the mains until the speed really picked up and just ease in the elevator. The take off was a thing of beauty. A long scale like take off run followed by realistic shallow climb out. Man-O-Man she is looking good. I had to add about 5 or 6 clicks of down elevator but that was it.

Note the tail high stance in the picture.

Name:	81145_14763.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	47833  
Old 05-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

That looks so realistic!!! Probably the best compliment anyone can pay to a scale modeler

- ya done good!!!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:44 PM
t_burley

doooh! I just re-read the post, sorry Bob
you said NOT without Incident! my bad!

hope all is fine still, however

Todd
Old 05-24-2003, 10:46 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default The Hurri Flys

It flew great! The scale speed appeared just about right. It looked fast and my photographer who had never worker with my digital camera before had a hard time keeping up with the model.

First problem the wheels would not come all the way up. I had problems with this the night before and had to put in heavier gage wire between the flight pack batteries and the switches. Also I had to replace the battery for the mechanical retracts and flaps servo with a 5-cell pack. Everything checked out on the ground but had to roll inverted to get the wheels tucked away.

The loop test showed that there was too much elevator even at low rates. It snaped out at the top of the loop but I recovered. We noted that a light elevator touch would be needed for landing.

The roll rate was a bit slow at the low rate switch position and I did not get to test the high rate.

The wheels down stall test went well. It just kind a mushed around and fell forward with out a tendance to tip stall. Good Very Good!

He is a low pass, wheels up. Cool!

Name:	81149_14763.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	47834  
Old 05-24-2003, 11:07 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Now for the bad news

Ok, now its time to land.

Down wind; pull power back to just below half and lower the gear. So far so good. Flaps down and now I turn base. Power back to about 1/3 and turn final. It's looking good. Over the runway threshold now (about 3 feet high) and I pull power all the way back. It's way too fast to land! Add full power but don't shove it in and retract flaps. Ok that didn't work. My concentration and adrenaline kicks up a bunch. So I take out three clicks of low idle trim and set up again. Still to fast and I am lower this time. Remember the sensitive elevator? Termination of flight!

The top of the plane is fine but both retracts broke lose. Note how one of the struts broke in half. Surgery is required and I am going to install pheunmatic replacements.

Oh well. I have a good bit of work ahead of me and It looks like the NATS are out for this year. What the heck, I’m still very pleased at it’s performance and will begin repairs in the morning.

Name:	81151_14763.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	47835  
Old 05-24-2003, 11:19 PM
t_burley

sorry Bob, that lat pic didnt look good

Glad it flew, I understand shake down flights, I am still
chasing gremlins with my Spit.

Sorry you wont make the NATS with her, thats too bad

Hope all goes well with the repairs,look forward to seeing
her all prettied up again

Todd
Old 05-24-2003, 11:26 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hurricane

bob, your hurricane looks excellent.. You have some time yet before the nats so perhaps you will make it.. if you have Expo.. you might go with something in the range of -40 or so for starters.. Also check the CG.. sounds like you could be a bit aft?... BobH.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:20 AM
Merlin65

Well done Bob! It's great to see this Hurri finally fly.

Sorry about the damage but you may actually save some weight with the pneumatic retracts.

Pictures are spectacular.
--
Merlin
Old 05-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Bob,
I have been following your thread and its great to finally see it fly. It truly is a beautiful Hurri! Congrats on a job well done and hopefully your little landing incident shook those @#$% Gremlins loose for good!

Warren
Old 05-25-2003, 05:23 AM
bignasdy-RCU

Sorry to hear that Bob, but it looks like it coulda been worse. Im glad is wasnt! Its a pretty plane and I hope ya get the bugs worked out on the next flite. I always seem to have that proplem of tryin to land a new plane too fast. I just get her up there, and fly it as slow as it will, and make big circles to see how it will act on final. Seems to help if I fly it in on the throttle, and not glide it in fast. Love the pics, yer buddy did great!
I truly wish you the best !
d
Old 05-25-2003, 01:31 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Damage inspection

Hello every one,

The first thing I'd like to do is thank every one for their very kind comments. I usually have to compose my emails off line on a word processor then cut and past them here. I am very poor at typing and even a worse speller but when I came back to this post there you all were. You folks are really great.

Last evening I removed the gear struts and then carefully removed the left bottom wing skin along the panel lines covering the retract itself. I expected to find the Styrofoam wing core holding the plywood mounting plate reduced to tiny beads of foam instead it was totally intact and solid. What was broken were the hardwood standoffs for the retracts themselves. Boy was I impressed! That is one strong wing to survive a landing (I use the word loosely here) so sever as to break one strut in half yet do no damage to the wing or mounting plates. Anyway, I still need to scratch my head as to the best and least intrusive way to repair the landing gear. Regardless if I replace the retracts with air operated units or not I am going to have to cut into the top of the wing. I hate that to do it but have no other option. The good news is the damage is much less severe then I first thought. Thank God for small favors.

Regarding the CG. I was so concerned about the 16 lb weight of this project that I balanced the plane right on the CG shown on the plans so that the plane wood teeter both ways. When I add the glow plug heater battery that should give the Hurri a bias towards a nose heavy state. I did asked Dave if he thought that Hurricane looked correct in flight in terms of the Center of Gravity and he said that he could see no signs suggesting a tail heavy condition. However the total flight time was only about 7 or 8 minutes. More testing would be required to really determine that point. One thing is for sure. That ASP 1.08 fitted with a 14x8 prop had no problem pulling my Hurricane bird along.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:13 PM
BobH

Default Hurricane

Rip, why would you need to cut through the top of the wing?. Can't you put in the air operated Regracts through the bottom of the wing?...You would need to make new ply mounting plates.... put some dowels throught them and glue them into the wing.. that should do it for you.. What kit/plan Hurricane did you build..?? Just wondering.. it looks reallly nice!! BobH.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:25 AM
bobripley-RCU

Bob,

It was originally a Mick Reeves kit but I used a set of Brian Taylor plans to help correct some of the inaccuracies.
Type “Ginger” in the search box of this forum and you will find my original post that details the final work and detailing of this model as well a bit of history about Ginger Lacey.

I believe that I will have to go through the top of the wing because the original Unitract retracts were installed in that manor. Most retracts that I have worked with were mounted from the bottom but these were the exact opposite. However, I have not done anything yet and will take a second hard look at the wing again tomorrow.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:28 AM
BobH

Default Ginger Hurricane

Bob, I can now see where you might have to go thru the top of the wing if that's the way your retracts are mounted.. Hope you dont need to do that but. if you have to.. then you have to huh.. BobH.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:17 AM
bobripley-RCU

Default Retract removal

BobH,

I got them out with out cutting through the top wing skins! It took a bunch of time but I did it plus the plywood mounting plates are intact. Thanks for the suggestion for a second look.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:55 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default New Retracts.

Well I received my replacement retracts today. I thought I would post a picture or two for you all see.

I don't know if you know of a company called Lite-Flyte Products. They are mom and pop operation (literally) out of Seneca, SC. I met Ray & Ginny Lightfoot at the Toledo show several years back and they caught my attention because they were the only company that I found that made scale looking retracts for a 1/7th scale Brian Taylor FW-190A that I wanted to build. I ordered a set and when they arrived they looked to be as beautiful and strong as the ones he was showing at the show.

So, when I decided to replace the mechanical Untract retracts that were in the Hurri prior to my not so elegant landing I called Ray to see if he could make a set quickly. It took 10 days from the time I called him until I received them today and here they are.

Name:	84160_14763.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	47836  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.