Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Lado Retracts for TF GS P-47??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Lado Retracts for TF GS P-47??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lado Retracts for TF GS P-47??

I am at the stage in the build where I need to start thinking about gear. I have never done a plane with retracts. I was thinking of using the ones from LADO with the 622 P47 struts from robart. It seems like a great Idea no lines to leak or plumbing every where tanks ect... What are your thoughts.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Lado Retracts for TF GS P-47??

Exactly the same thing I plan on doing with mine. My GS P47 kit just got delivered today however. I plan to build it over the winter, makes xmas shopping easier, when my wife asks me what I want she'll get a list including engine, retracts, etc. Should be the cheapest thing I've built (out of my own pocket anyway).
Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
iflyg450

I just check the LADO site they list units for the TF P-47 60 size not the GS version. They have them for the TF GS P-51 I know from robart the struts are different for the GS P-51 and GS P-47 but aren't the accutuators the smae??
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
eugene

I used the Spring Aire 400 series ( 85') on my TFGS P-47. Very strong steel unit, and after four years of flying, at 23# with a G-62, not a solitary failure..
I would suggest considering the Spring Aires in your decision...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
iflyg450

Why spring air??
Old 09-30-2008, 08:08 PM
eugene

First, it is a quality part, well built, extremely strong, NO plastics in this unit, very dependable as they are air up-spring down., no belly landings...
Simpler, as they need a smaller air tank, and only one line to connect during assembly, and the cost is about the same as Robarts...Also, they are in stock with no back order..
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
iflyg450

If I decide to go with the pnuematic retracts will check into spring air. The LADO unit does not have any plastic parts cost about the same as robart. Here IS THE BIG PLUS all that you need to do is plug them into your Rx and add a battery. No tanks, valves, lines, connectors, servos, air pumps ect... And what great is a battery doesn't leak like a air system their are just few parts in the LADO system to fail. I have read of people flying them for months before they have to charge a battery.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What equipment does it take to support those air retracts? Compressor, air tank for filling at the field, hoses? what else?

What does it cost to support air retracts?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

If I decide to go with the pnuematic retracts will check into spring air. The LADO unit does not have any plastic parts cost about the same as robart. Here IS THE BIG PLUS all that you need to do is plug them into your Rx and add a battery. No tanks, valves, lines, connectors, servos, air pumps ect... And what great is a battery doesn't leak like a air system their are just few parts in the LADO system to fail. I have read of people flying them for months before they have to charge a battery.

They don't take an extra battery. Both my P47 and Corsair fly just fine with the original RX battery that ran all the servos, the RX, and the OEM retracts (with their big servo). I recharge as soon as I get home from the field and check the amount it takes to recharge. Neither plane takes more battery with the LADOs than they did with the original setup.

Read about people flying for months on one battery charge? I don't understand what about the LADO would make that possible. They take about the same amount of battery capacity each flight as the original setup, and no way would my airplanes would have capacity for a months flying with the OEM or the LADOs. What's really great is no support equipment is needed, no retract servo either, and especially no retract rigging to adjust. Plug 'em in and fly.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

I just check the LADO site they list units for the TF P-47 60 size not the GS version. They have them for the TF GS P-51 I know from robart the struts are different for the GS P-51 and GS P-47 but aren't the accutuators the smae??

Their website shows an actuator for the 1/5 P51, but not retracts. That actuator isn't a complete retract like the others they list. It's just the mechanics that'll drive an existing retract mechanism, like the air ones. You'd need the original Robart retract, and have to pull the air cylinder/actuator part out of that, and replace that part with the LADO actuator. The LADO part would then drive the retract mechanics.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
iflyg450

Which P-47 do you have that actuator installed in? I plan on getting just the struts from robart they gave me a price 53.00 each. I just wasn't sure if the lado 1/5 top flite P-51 would work in a 1/5 Top Flite P-47. Not sure but doesn't the P-51 and P-47 have different angles from extended to retracted? Sorry for the very rookie question this my first warbird build. Thank you for the help. I really like to idea of the electric retracts
Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Are you saying that LADO users should have a seprate battery (than that of the receiver) to power the retracts ?
Does that mean it's a typical radio set up with the exception of having a "y" harness from the retracts to another "Y" harness feeding into a 2nd battery and the other plug goes into the receiver ?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:17 PM
texaswarbird

I think Lado is fed up with orders. They are always out of stock. Even I was lucky to place an order 2 weeks ago, I haven't seen it arrive at my door. It costs $170's, and with many positive comments, so I guess may be worth to wait. I'll install it in my 60 size Topflite Mustang.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:22 PM
texaswarbird

That's what I thought. I have not received my order, but it seems very simple with y-harness and regular receiver battery.

http://www.lado-tech.net/PDFDOC/60-1-5.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ki18400.pdf (389.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The LADO's just use the rec. battery. I am now installing them in my TF P-51 ARF. Great workmanship, worth the wait. Hope they start cranking them out , I want another set for my TF-51 kit.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: NoFlaps

Are you saying that LADO users should have a seprate battery (than that of the receiver) to power the retracts ?
Does that mean it's a typical radio set up with the exception of having a "y" harness from the retracts to another "Y" harness feeding into a 2nd battery and the other plug goes into the receiver ?

They not only don't need them, but they seem to take less battery than a single servo that has to drive pushrods and bellcranks use.

Putting in a separate battery for them would be a monumental waste of time.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 AM
reincarnate

Has Lado ever stated that they are planning on making their system for larger scale airplanes? Seems like it would be an easy enough transition. I'd hate to have to buy a 60 size airplane just to try these out.

Wait...no I wouldn't
Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

Has Lado ever stated that they are planning on making their system for larger scale airplanes? Seems like it would be an easy enough transition. I'd hate to have to buy a 60 size airplane just to try these out.

Wait...no I wouldn't
Yes, LADO's site has a 70 series retract coming out. Should be out by Spring 2020 plus a 6 month Priority Mail delivery.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 AM
datazman42
My Feedback: (1)

Hello All:
For thoes of you that have not found it yet, here is my review:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7999431/tm.htm]Lado Review[/link]

I hope this is of help.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul