Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Don Smith Lavochkin La7 - Full Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Don Smith Lavochkin La7 - Full Build

Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith Lavochkin La7 - Full Build

Glenn,
Thanks for the thanks. Something happened to the last sentence of my previous post. I meant to say that you are one of the few guys that complete a build thread to a maiden flight. The threads usually stop some where in the middle. so, once again, thank you.
Nope I don't use flaps. My planes have wing loadings in the low 40oz/sqft and that is tolerable. If they started to get up to around 50 ounces, I probably would incorporate them but for now, I can get along without their added weight and complexity.
Here's an image of me with a Yak 9 I made around 1970. It had the same type of tapered wing and the same problems. I had just switched to proportional from reeds and the old did not have expo, end point adjust and all that other stuff we have today. I do remember adding nose weight to get the CG forward. Somehow, this one survived also.
I don't know what was wrong with the Ruskys. For some reason they used this type of wing planform more than anyone else. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49719.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1403767  
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM
tgking44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Dan. Considering that was 30 years ago, your Yak looks awesome. Do you still have it?

I know what you mean about so many threads being "unfinished". We all have priorities of life interrupt this great hobby, but there really are a lot of builds that leave you hanging. It's frustrating to follow a build and never get to know the final outcome. Regardless of how long it took, I was determined to finish this build. It was a relief to finally get this one in the air and bring conclusion to something I started over three years ago. From a divorce to changing careers and moving from one state to another, I had a lot happen during the build of this bird. Again, I was determined to get her finished... and I'm really glad I did.

Glenn
Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Russian aircraft are really cool brutes!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:03 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My computer was in for some repairs the past few days and I'm just getting back on the air. It took me longer to get it setup than it took for the repairs.

Thank you for the compliments about the Yak 9. I really enjoyed building the plane because it was so unique. Even without retracts, it looked great in the air. Nope I don't have it anymore and I don't remember what happened to it. I usually give my planes away to the first person that expresses some interest in them after I get done flying them so I probably gave it to one of the local fliers. I would remember it if it was crashed. It was powered by a K&B 60. Maybe I'll build a 50cc size one of these days. Dan.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 AM
vik

Hallo Glenn,

I know this build is quite some time done.
Do you remember what was the final weight?
The CoG problems you had were based on the CoG which is on the plan or there it is not mentioned there?

Thank you
Vik
Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
tgking44

Hello Vik,

Yes, I did complete the build and create this post some time ago, but she is still flying and I'm still enjoying a great flying machine! She can be a handful sometimes, but she is a one of a kind I've learned how to tame her in the air. I'm glad I spent time on the final details too. She always gets a lot of attention at the field. She's MUCH better built and looks MUCH better than any of the ARF kits that have been introduced recently. Answers to your questions:

1. Final weight (excluding fuel) came out to just over 24 pounds - right at 11 kilos. The weight seems right on for this airplane and makes for very realistic and stable flights. She can be very fast, but throttle management and the large round cowl keeps the speed under control.

2. In my opinion, the suggested CoG on the plans are too far back. Location on the plans are at 30%, which is where I had it on my maiden flight. I almost lost her due to this CoG location. You can see that she's tail heavy in the video link I have posted. After moving the CoG forward to about 25%, it handled completely different and was fun to fly (still is). If you are going to build and fly this airplane, I strongly suggest moving the CoG forward 5% from where it is stated on the plans!

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Glenn

Old 10-10-2011, 11:22 PM
vik

Thx Glenn
I´m expecting the short kit to receive by Friday.
The build something like new year as I need to finish something first
Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM
tgking44

When you do start the build, let me know if you have any questions.

Glenn