Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ME 262 Rebuild/Electric Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ME 262 Rebuild/Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ME 262 Rebuild/Electric Conversion

congrats man,we knew you could do it
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 PM
David010567
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I got of the standby and take off...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79570.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	1514293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68301.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	1514294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13659.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	1514295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62891.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	1514296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46513.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	1514297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44772.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	1514298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74959.jpg
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	1514299  
Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 PM
David010567

Flight, approach and landing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69416.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	1514300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77645.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	1514301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71071.jpg
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1514302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86388.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	1514303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67074.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	1514304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs14856.jpg
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	1514305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb59197.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	1514306  
Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM
David010567

Congratulations man!! I am so proud you stuck with this project. You are a true friend Rich. Sincerely... Thank you for everything bud!!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What was your flight duration? Do you have any feel for what will be a safe time in the air per charge ? I understand its only the first flight Just wondered by what was left in the packs if you had any estimates..

Thanks, and good work !
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Joespeeder

Congrats [email protected] !!!

From all us "lurkers" out here, it's GREAT to see you persevere and succeed !!!

The 262 looks great in the air and you have paved the way for future conversions.

Great job !! Keep posting video as you get it.

Joe
Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

We played it extra safe. 3 Minute flight:

Amps: 129
MAH used: 3920 (6500mAH packs) (We did one run up down the runway and burned aprox 700MAH) So actually flight time burned was about 3200MAH in 3 Minutes.
Watts: 5861
ESC Temp: 108 degrees
RPM: 35000

I would say 4 minutes would be safe. 5 minutes max for a little reserve.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

yes congrats on the maiden!!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fw190d9

The turbine is actually under the cockpit. Placing a single turbine in the fuselage eliminates the chance of losing the model due to asymmetrical thrust issues with one engine out. Every R/C 262 I have seen lost was due to an engine out. The Grumania 262 that Ryan H was flying flew extremely well on a single turbine. So well in fact that I just had to get one. It will be the next model I build this winter.
Evan Q.
Hope to see it next year at WOTR Evan.
Your not going to do a fake C1A are you? Although the plane Ryan flew did fly nicely, there was never an ME-262 in real life powered by one turbine. In reality, from all the info Ive seen, the C1A was a rocket assist version that still had the two jet engines in the nacelles. The C1a only had one rocket assist in the tail and there was also a tubular device slung under the tail for refilling the T stoff tank. The C stoff tank was behind the pilot(or vice versa..i forget which).
The C2 had twin rocket assists...one in each nacelle on the wings.
It would have been better if Sam Wright didnt try to pass the plane off as a scale rendition when in fact it wasnt.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

would love to see pics of what he os using for air intakes. I saw that vid before and was wondering what vwersion 262 it was with the open end....didnt realize it was a single turbine
hes actually using the wheel wells as air intakes as well as the gun ports up front. Hes got some weird ducting from the wheel wells that feed the turbine. Thats what Ryan told me in person cuz i asked that.
The plane actually belongs to Brian Omeara, the main even sponsor. He and his wife have another one in the basement that is supposed to be for Ryan to fly in formation with Brian once both are ready.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

dude, I'm stoked. I cant believe she finally took to the air.

vindication I guess.

really really cool to know she flys, those fans worked perfectly

congrats with sticking with it and not canning the project
Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM
pandissix

Thanks TB...Guess we should have stuck with the original fans all along...that other brand fan was a 6 month detour...that its still not over....will they now do the honorable thing? Still waiting....

This one is a show winner...and thanks in no small part to your help TB...and your amazing paint scheme....

I can say with a huge smile that I may be the only guy in the country right now flying a JS 262 with twin EDF units? And have stuck to true scale paint scheme, engine setup (twin) etc...none of this single turbine stuff....come on guys?

I am so excited right now...this has been a roller coaster ride....finally there man.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

well I'm glad to be a part of the project. I'm glad it all worked out in
the end with a successfull maiden.

am glad also that the fans as originally sugested to us from Kirk worked out
very well. I say move forward, dont look back its all good now
Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Pandi, Congrats on a successful flight. Glad you finally got her up in the air. Looks like it flies well with that set up too.

Kahlog, I know all about the C1. I chose this model mainly because it only has 1 turbine. Writing a check for 2 hairdryers is not very appetizing especially when you have the danger of losing the whole bird if one flames out.
So yes, I will do a FAKE C1 if thats what you want to call it. Im willing to put up with a non scale turbine outlet under the rudder in order to have a reliable r/c model of an ME262.

E.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Very nice job! Congrats on the maiden. I enjoyed reading your thread on this build.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:52 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats. on the maiden, looks and sounds great. Now crack the wip on David on that -152[X(]
Old 10-11-2010, 01:24 AM
kahloq

Pandi, Congrats on a successful flight. Glad you finally got her up in the air. Looks like it flies well with that set up too.

Kahlog, I know all about the C1. I chose this model mainly because it only has 1 turbine. Writing a check for 2 hairdryers is not very appetizing especially when you have the danger of losing the whole bird if one flames out.
So yes, I will do a FAKE C1 if thats what you want to call it. Im willing to put up with a non scale turbine outlet under the rudder in order to have a reliable r/c model of an ME262.

E.
Im not saying theres anything wrong with doing a single turbine setup. I completely understand the monetary concerns and desire to prevent a crash due to a flame out. The only thing I was pointing out was the fact that there never existed a real me-262 that only had 1 turbine. It simple was never a real plane. Thats the reason i called it a fake c1 because Sam annouced it as a scale plane after something that the germans made or had a prototype for. But that simply isnt the case. This is merely one source that outlines all the different versons of the 262:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me-262#Variants
I can list more if ppl like.

I suppose if someone wanted to emulate a scale c1 and use a single turbine to do so.....having functional EDF fans in the nacelles would solve that, even if they werent there for thrust purposes and only powered by minimal battery power. Say..if doing a Top Gun level plane, you'd have to have something in the nacelles that worked. But then at top gun, you wouldnt gain full static points either because of the size of the outlet in the tail trying to use a single turbine.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 AM
RCSCALEGUY

Hey got to thank Rich for letting me do the honors. It is always very fun an rewarding when a maiden works out. I know Rich, Todd and even myself have all had their hands on this bird. It was a very smooth airplane just needed a little trim. The power from the TF's was great, and I'm sure from the Castle Controllers that Rich can see and show that the power or throttle input was just above half during most of the flight. I was just trying to get things neutral. The turns like a B-25 twin need that rudder mix turning into the dropping wing to help keep the nose level. Well just use your thumbs but a mix is in order and I'm sure Rich and I can get that mixed in to make it a single stick operation. I have to say Rich has one if not the best looking 262 out there and to trust me at the stick is a great honor. So congratulations to Rich, to Dave for some outstanding work. It's great when a maiden works out. I'm sure Rich's pursuit to convert this will inspire more people with the Joe Satia kit. I know I want to get mine going after flying this Me 262.

I'm sure Rich can get some great performance out of this aircraft as the power and throttle was very moderate during this first flight. On approach it's size is a bit deceiving as the size looks as thought it is standing still on the glide path to land but when you touch down and see that thing keep rolling and rolling and 700 feet later the aircraft stops. Well on future flights, Rich will have to make sure he has some good head wind to help with slowing it down. It should not be a problem just need to set her down at the X. So I hope the rest of the video gets online, as this has been a long ride controllers, fans, motors, all kinds of things trying to make sure he had success. In the end the plane flew and flew well.

Congratulations Rich,

Jeff
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Yahooo! Congratulations!!!!
You are to be commended indeed for your perserverence and exceptional results on this project. The whole project is a textbook example of patienceandsound engineering finally overcoming ALL obstacles and producing a well deserved, first class model! YOU proved them ALL wrong!! And this isa real American success story!!

For those that will follow your lead (and there will certainly BE quite a few - start up the production line Joe!) could you please give all of your faithful followers a thorough, summarized parts list of your project and final recommendations, so we can all, finally, start up our own 262 projects? (No hurry. We'll all be glad to wait until the celibratory hang overs wear off.).

Again, a well deserved, and hearty, WELL DONE, Pandi!!!

Highest regards,
langerl
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E.

Its a wise choice, not to mention a pair of electric setups can run you just as much if you get 3-4 sets of packs. But I saw the C1 fly at WOTR, it is simply amazing.

Congrats Pan! Cant wait to see it at a local event!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: fw190

E.

Its a wise choice, not to mention a pair of electric setups can run you just as much if you get 3-4 sets of packs. But I saw the C1 fly at WOTR, it is simply amazing.

Congrats Pan! Cant wait to see it at a local event!

The thing is, if nobody knew it was a single turbine, no one would have known. It flew awesome, and I think it was a great idea. Nothing wrong with not being exact to the full scale for prudent reasons. There is not much scale about any of our planes except maybe the outline anyway.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

The thing is, if nobody knew it was a single turbine, no one would have known. It flew awesome, and I think it was a great idea. Nothing wrong with not being exact to the full scale for prudent reasons. There is not much scale about any of our planes except maybe the outline anyway.
Good point
Old 10-11-2010, 02:35 PM
pandissix

Here is a video I made to document this project....be warned...you know Im a Luftwaffe nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP-Pxorg4rA
Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 PM
pandissix

The question asked is what are the lessons learned....Here is a few of my top suggestions.

1. Have a good team of guys to help you...I could not have done it without some experts along the way.
2. Dont go cheap on the batteries. Its worth the extra cash to buy the best out there. I used XPS and Thunder Power...both are Outstanding.
3. ESC- Having the new Castle Ice system with the data logging - is the only way. It answers all the questions. The HV160 is working perfect and that would be my first choice.
4. Fan units- Your choice, there are a lot of good ones out there. Im very happy with the TF4000 because they work and very light.
5. CG- I must have checked CG 100 times, So far I am about 1/2 inch forward of the plans. Im shifting my Lipos to get the sweet spot.
6. Tam Capacitors- With the long leads- I would use them on the ESC end....so far using them on both ends of the connections makes no difference.
7. If you starting with a new kit- build light. At 38 pounds AUW Im heavy. Some of this weight could have been shaved off if the original build was light.
8. Consider making a hatch system, so you can access your Lipos without taking off the wing. Do some head scratching here. For me, the scale gun hood access hatches was too far forward. Another option is making the canopy removable to access your Lipos...think about it.
9. When building the wing, consider a Lipo Box inside the wing. I ended up having to cut one in at the center section.
10. Use a redundant system- RX Batts, switches etc...have the piece of mind of a back up system.
11. The nacelles, its a shoe horn fit to get everything to fit...so consider the option of additional access hatches.
12. Thrust tubes- Use the mylar. They are light and work.
13. Consider all the cooling air for the Lipos when your building. For me I kept the nose gun vents open and the nose gear door cover off for cool air to enter. I have exit holes on the bottom of the fuselage for the air to exit. Think about additional cooling options without taking too much away from the scale lines.
14. So far the 10 Gauge long lead wire work. If you can soder a 8 gauge wire to a deans...that may be a better option.
15. I found no real difference when using castle 6.5mm bullet connectors vs Deans. It may be safer with the Deans...so I would stick with that.

As I get more flights under my belt I will let you know more lessons learned. I guess another one...is Jeff and I went over single engine failure over and over....have this in the back of your mind everytime....if I lose an engine what is the procedure....have a plan.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:00 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats .[sm=thumbup.gif] You should attend Best in the West ?
Semper Fi
Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.