Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Paint suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:29 AM
bobripley-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Epoxy Paint

Hello Pat,

Boy, I hope you are right! I like many bought as much K&B and Hobby Poxy paint as I could once we found out Red was going away. Now, we are trading amongst ourselves for the colors and tones that are left. In my opinion, nothing has the versatility of epoxy paint especially when it comes to weathering.

BobH, I have some Sky left over from my Hurri project and could mix up some Dark Green (I have some Stinson Green left to start with and thanks to Dave Platt, Red) if you think it might help your Spit along. How big is your model?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Dash7ATP

Default Paint suggestions

PAt,

You didn't mention if this is a two part Paint. I assume it is. It would be nice to have the wartime colors, but it would also be nice if they had colors to match the basic Monocoat colors.

At the very least, it would be nice no matter what colors are made available, if they had a mixing chart like the old Hobby Poxy line had. I made up some colors for the Vietnam camo scheme and they looked great. It took a lot of colors to do the mixing, so I still have some of that. (grin).

Please keep us informed.

Thanks,

Joe Lupton
www.members.cox.net/jluptonjets
Old 07-29-2003, 05:01 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Paints

Rip, thank you for the offer.. I am going to use the paint on a Yellow P-47. Its one from the 78th FG.. they were repainted prior to D-Day in RAF Dark Green and Sky unders. I think I'll be ok with the Clark Industries paint.. If I change my mind I hope its ok to contact you on the offer.. BobH.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:06 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

For what it's worth, I did some pretty extensive testing with Latex paints and Nelson Hobbies clear coat. Rockin' results... easy, cheap, nice finish, gasproof, no fumes, paint indoors, and LIGHTWEIGHT. You can see the results of my tests here...

http://www.renderwurx.com/rc/glasstest/index.htm

Neo
Old 07-29-2003, 05:14 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Have any of you tried the the Dupont Chromobase paint for your warbirds? Many of the aerobatic guys use it, and in the automotive world it has a TOP reputation.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Dash7ATP

Pat,

I agree the warbird paints would be nice to have. Of course, there are hundreds of FS colors. It would be nice if they were to publish a mixing chart of the FS colors as well as those of other countries as Pettit did with their Hobby Poxy paints. I mixed the colors of my vietman Camo painted F-4 with their chart, and it worked fine. It takes a lot of colors to do that, but then , I still have a bit of the paint I used then (grin).

I assume this is a two part paint system. You didn't mention that. Will they have a satin catalist or an additive which can be mixed to gt various degrees of flat or satin? Of course that can be done with the clear coat.

I did a Google search to try to learn something about the company, and didn't find anyone who looked like they made paint.

Keep us posted ..........

Joe Lupton
Old 07-29-2003, 06:31 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Paint

Bob,

Absolutely, give me a shout if you change your mind and best of luck on the P-47. Post a picture or two if you get a chance.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:58 PM
BobH

Default Paints

Bob, thanks.. !! And when I do get some pics I'll be sure to post them...Here is a pic of the interior that I built.. hope you like it.. BobH.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97523_32102.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	48249  
Old 07-29-2003, 09:00 PM
BobH

Default paints

Opps wasn't the picture I intended to post lol... I'm trying again! BobH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97524_32102.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	48250  
Old 07-29-2003, 11:36 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new paints

Look forward to see the new paints if like the K&B. Love that brand.

best white I ever used was K&B an a small Jemco AT-6 (second airplane after trainer) Painted it as "Miss Everything" Reno racer with white fuse and black cowl.

- Some 8 years later I dumb thumbed a takoff and had to match the white. It never yellowed so matching was a breeze.

Had to repair F-4 Phantom and the hobby poxy insignia white I mixed has already yellowed after only 2 years

Bring on the new paint
Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 AM
bobripley-RCU

Default P-47 front office

Very nice interior detail work. Bob, your a man after my own heart. It is creating detail work like that, which makes scale modeling fun, for me anyway.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:18 AM
BobH

Default Paints

Bob, thanks for the kind words. I got carried a way a bit with the interior but I figured "what the heck, I'm not in a hurry".. So. I took more time that I normally would have. I still have plenty to do on the plane and I'll post more pics when I have better progress. At the moment I have been busy with maintenance of my existing planes lol... Regards BobH.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:31 AM
bhouin
My Feedback: (106)

Default RE: Paint suggestions

I just read a small review on Klass Kote in RCJI. They have a web site www.klasskote.com that has their line and pricing info. Has anyone had a chance to try this yet?
Old 10-25-2003, 11:11 AM
daven

I haven't tried it yet, but I picked some up yesterday. I thought pricing was pretty good, I bought 1/2 pints of "White Lightning", Catalyst, and Reducer and I think it totaled a hair over $30.

Quarts are going for about $29.99 if you want to stockpile.

I can't wait to give it a try, I've never used an epoxy type paint. Should be painting in a couple weeks If I get going on the plane.

I'll let you know how it works, I never tried the Hobby POxy, but I've heard it was pretty good stuff.

The best part, is this guys shop is local to me, and down the street from the best hobby store in the State.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:52 PM
seawolf1

are you their and did you get my last pm on the paint question