Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need some Bearcat Details

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need some Bearcat Details

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Bearcat Details

I'm getting ready to start on a Bates Bearcat and am planning for lights. Does anyone have any pics of the "tailcone" and the landing lights? Also, halfway out the port leading edge there is a square prism looking lens, there's none on the starboard. I don't think it's a light or a camera, does anyone know what that is?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Flyin Hwn

Default RE: Need some Bearcat Details

ampeater,
That lens contains colored lights that the landing signal officer looks at to determine the proper approach attitude of the landing Bearcat coming aboard the carrier....
Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 PM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need some Bearcat Details

Thanks FlyinHwn, that makes perfect sense. I was going to make a wild guess that it was some type of prism to tell whether you're coming in high or low. We used to use prisms like that for aligning payloads to rockets on the launch pad for azimuth and elevation. I just couldn't figure how a landing officer would use a theodolite on landing. But now it makes sense that a prism would just show a different color depending on the approach angle.