Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: COMP ARF 110

I am with Windjunkie, i have wanted one of these for a long time, this is a very expensive plane to have flutter, and to have to fly it slow, Pappy boyington would never have flown this plane slow, has anybody figured out how to stop the flutter without flying it around slow. Ian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Approx 25 flights on my fixed wing version with Moki 250 and Menz 32 x 14. JR8611 on ailerons and constructed per instructions.
    Every flight has had numerous full throttle fly by's 20 feet off the deck with hard pull ups then a roll. No hint of flutter. If I could not do that, this plane would be gone.

I read somewhere that Darrell has made 150 sets of landing gear for this bird so there are lots of them out there and only a few complaints of flutter. (which so far have been resolved by the builders)

My only complain about this plane is that the main gear does not have a positive lock down but that isn't Comp-arf's doing. I paid paticular attention to the main gear sissors in the last couple of finished Corsairs in this thread. All showed little if any over center throw which means they WILL fold on anything but a greased landing which I am rarely capable of.

A good test of the mains is applying pressure downward on the scissors while pushing back on the strut. If you can break the lock with 100lbs of pressure, then you need to work on them some more.

Also, pay attention to the rear bracket that the air cylinder attaches to. This has 2 bolts that lock it to the frame. However, the frame also has steel pin in the same location so the threads in the aluminum are very short (1/4 ") and will pop out on a hard landing there by stripping the threads. Or they will become loose after numerous landings and cause gear failure. I solved this problem with a small radiator hose clamp around the affected parts.

I will be the first to admit that I am hard on this landing gear. I am just trying to let everyone know where I had problems so others may not. Geez this think looks and sounds great in the air.

Paul
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the post Paul. That gives me hope. Maybe by the time I can afford one, there will be an electric retrofit available for the retracts.

Joe
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I took the plunge just as the others of you on this post. Purchased the Composite ARF Corsair.

Ordered the ARF version [ not the kit ], plug-in wings, scale wheels, scale retracts. Will use a DA 120 for power, JR 8711’s on the ailerons, rudder, elevator. Sent the check in to the Comp ARF rep. And ordered it pre-painted in the blue. First one of these ordered … that is the ARF – plug in wing – pre painted blue.

Did not want to go with the complexity of the radial engine nor the complexity of the folding wing. And I do not even have to paint the thing. I really like to use my time flying. I put together a Yellow Spit with 450 man-hours and that was my limit.

I really respect you guys that spend 2 years putting one of the folding wing versions together from the kit with a radial. But that is not for me. Although on a cool level on a 1-10, I would give the folding wing and the radial a 15 or a 16 !!!

Will use the following paint scheme.
    Paint scheme: Scroll down to 167 and 184
    http://www.markstyling.com/F4U_4.htm

http://www.markstyling.com/F4Us_JPEGs/F4U_CU48a.jpg

So this is really cheeetin but what the heck. I will have to paint some white arrows on her and a yellow band on the cowling.

I am glad to be in the Comp ARF Club. Should get the plane in 10 weeks. Now I have to save my money to get the engine.

Respectfully DDayWarbird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the pleasure of watching Paul build and fly his plane. He is a very meticulous builder and his plane flys very well. The gear issue won't be solved by going electric- the issue is the scissors don't go overcenter to provide a positive lock. They were flat out made incorrectly. Sorry Darrel,... After a bit of studying of the geometry and a bit of filing in the correct spot he fixed the issue. You shouldn't have to rely on the cylinder holding the plane up and that is the way the retracts come. It is a nice plane, but there are some tradeoffs for scale looks- especially on the aileron linkage. I am not a fan if internal linkages as I like to be able to see what is going on. No way would I put the aileron linkages internaly as shown. ANY SLOP with that short of arm is asking for trouble on any plane. If your are meticulous and build it right it will work fine. What blows me away is the recommendation to use baby oil for the folding wing system. What is its viscosity? What is the boiling point? What is the quality control process used from batch to batch? There are plenty of non-petrolium hydraulic fluids out there that are generally well accepted. The overall hydraulic system is about as simple as it gets, but you run a real risk to overall performance by using an essentially unknown property fluid in it. The provided pump is a gear pump and should build 150psi+ or so easily with decent fluid in it. I would look at fluid choice a bit more carefully for those having problems..If it won't shut off either the accumulator switch is bad or the pump can't make that much pressure with the fluid you have in it..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 2walla

I had the pleasure of watching Paul build and fly his plane. He is a very meticulous builder and his plane flys very well. The gear issue won't be solved by going electric- the issue is the scissors don't go overcenter to provide a positive lock. They were flat out made incorrectly. Sorry Darrel,... After a bit of studying of the geometry and a bit of filing in the correct spot he fixed the issue. You shouldn't have to rely on the cylinder holding the plane up and that is the way the retracts come. It is a nice plane, but there are some tradeoffs for scale looks- especially on the aileron linkage. I am not a fan if internal linkages as I like to be able to see what is going on. No way would I put the aileron linkages internaly as shown. ANY SLOP with that short of arm is asking for trouble on any plane. If your are meticulous and build it right it will work fine. What blows me away is the recommendation to use baby oil for the folding wing system. What is its viscosity? What is the boiling point? What is the quality control process used from batch to batch? There are plenty of non-petrolium hydraulic fluids out there that are generally well accepted. The overall hydraulic system is about as simple as it gets, but you run a real risk to overall performance by using an essentially unknown property fluid in it. The provided pump is a gear pump and should build 150psi+ or so easily with decent fluid in it. I would look at fluid choice a bit more carefully for those having problems..If it won't shut off either the accumulator switch is bad or the pump can't make that much pressure with the fluid you have in it..
    Tried to get the Veg base fluid called for on the pump instructions here in the " States" That proved to be a bust ![sm=confused_smile.gif] Made many calls & received a bunch too from Reps and said It was unavailable In The US......
    So, planning on using "Marvel Mystery Oil " . Any thoughts ! added Bonus its RED too .
    Also installed a 10 amp fuse on the pump wire .

Semper Fi
    Look towards the Horizon......your death awaits you there So Enjoy today ,,,,,,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good advice 2Walla. I want the electric mostly to avoid the usual pneumatic maintenance headaches. Assuming I ever get there, I'll be sure to address the lock of the scissors. I thought maybe the screw jack electric would be strong enough to keep the scissors locked, but as you say an over center position is desired.

The whole wing flutter issue is unacceptable, and I was hoping to hear from more who avoided or solved it without resorting to speed restriction. I'd assumed use of good geometry and precision fittings on the controls would go a long way to elimination of flutter, but if there was an inherent fault in the wing spar or skin attachment I want to know (as do others).
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mick,
    Please provide the model numbers and web site of the pump/accumulator/accessories for your system.
    thanks,
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anybody purchased the bahs corsair, from germany, its price seems very compairable to the competion arf. Ian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Uncljoe, I would not use marvel mystery oil. Shoot even amsoil has a veggie based hydrualic fluid.. Petrolium based fluid can eat the faom sandwich from the middle of the glass structure- Have you ever seen a comp arf that has had a smoke fluid leak? or a smoke system in it for a long time?? They get a bit spongy.. I would use veggie based hydraulic fluid- it still would be bad enough to clean up after a leak.. What was the recommended fluid?? Bottom line is you want something relatively close in viscosity, nice to have it nontoxic, nonflammable, and biodegradeable. There are plenty of veggie based fluids available in the US, just pick one that is close..
    I would not fuse the pump wire necessarily either.. If the fuse fails in flight can the pressure bleed off and let the cylinders back off and let the wings go? I would rather burn up the motor than have the wings fold up..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2walla
    From what I understand when the motor shorted it caused a fire in the aircraft,it happen after a flight as the aircraft was taxing back and was put out (Fire extingusher shot thru the tail wheel opening) before it cause too much damage to the aircraft . I'll look for the castrol number. What veg based would you choose ?
    Semper Fi
    Joe

What kind of riff raff set up do we have here? the motor quits and the wings might fold up because of pressure loss? isn't there a positive lock to keep the wing from folding up??.
    Help! Call the doctor I can't stop building these things.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcwarbirdbuilder

What kind of riff raff set up do we have here? the motor quits and the wings might fold up because of pressure loss? isn't there a positive lock to keep the wing from folding up??.
    Never Said that the wings did fold with the pump mtr shorting out . the plane was taxing back with the wings locked in the DOWN position.

2Walla
    I've found the Biodraulic Hydraulic fluid that just might be the ticket . It a veg based
    http://www.frontierlubricants.com/we...YDRAULIC-FLUID

Semper Fi
    Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: uncljoe

ORIGINAL: rcwarbirdbuilder

Never Said that the wings did fold with the pump mtr shorting out . the plane was taxing back with the wings locked in the DOWN position.

Joe I think what he is asking is there a positive lock on the folding wing in that once they are locked does it take then reverse pressure to unlock? Much like landing gear...if they are locked down and no air they are still locked or I would say a lot of gear are that way. Kind of a over center setup on the wing lock I would say. I haven't looked at the one I am helping with to see how the lock is yet.
    Randy, Enjoying Warbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I buy the completed CompARF with everthing done but a few little intallations can I order it with it prepainted? I don't want to build another Corsair. I just want to open the boxes and get it ready to fly in less than a week, maybe two. I want to get it for myself for X-mas!!! I forgot their website or I would just ask them.

Sorry for the question,

Barry
    Barry - Owner of Canopy Rails For Warbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Barry,

They currently offer it pre-painted in blue, or the standard silver gel coat.

You can google their website at Composite-ARF.

Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Sam, my system uses a Eurokits (Italy) five way distribution valve part# RCA/15940/000. The pump which is a Hausl Jetcat is driven from a three cell Li Io battery giving 4v.

The only unusual part in this system is the accumulator which is a retract cylinder with a spring fitted to the β€œair side” this spring determines the switch off pressure. I use Citroen/Rolls Royce hydraulic LHM fluid.

This system has never suffered a failure of any kind it was fitted to my 3W RareBear four years ago.

m

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not familiar with the folding wing version but how about a very large servo and this
    http://www.oregonscaleaviation.com/R...s/WingMan.html

They also have some other cool scale items.............

Paul
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is the measurement from the firewall to the back of the prop? I combed through this thread but may have missed it. I'm thinking a 4-cylinder like a DA-200 or DLE-222 should fit in the cowling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

way to much!!! There is not enough width to fit the spark plugs inside the cowl

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, the 200 and 222 are the same width as a DA-100, after all they are just two 100cc engines with a common crank. Width is not an issue. Depth might be, that is why I am asking about that measurement.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the standoffs for my engine(Moki) are about 3/4". So if you add the depth of the Moki plus 3/4 " that will ballpark it

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Scott, I will check on the Moki dimensions.

Jack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 3W 157 Twin Spark fits in the cowl. It is tight, but it fits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Onewing, any chance of seeing a pic of you engine n the cowl and/or install? I have the Corsair and would seriously consider using the 157 if it fits. I thought it would be too wide. thanks.

Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast