New front wing hinge.
I installed the new wing hinges from Darrell.
These have an offset curve on the 'inner wing' side hinge that makes it unnecessary to cut a slot in the outer wing edge.
The old hinge had four bolts but the new hinge only uses three bolts.
After installation of the new hinges, I tested the folding wings.
Initially, the wings wouldn't go up so I put some more air pressure into the accumulator and now the wings operate correctly. Since the plane has been in the hanger since last March, I'm assuming that some of the air pressure leaked out as the folding mechanism worked OK without the outer wings attached.
I'm trying to download a video test of the wings but both the RCU and youtube seem to be in a 'state of lockup'. Ever since I had to reload my microsoft and a new anti-virus AVG, video downloads haven't worked and I haven't figured, yet, why.
Original hinge on inner wing.
New hinge installed with outer wing attached.
HMMM: I just noticed in the picture that the edge of the wing doesn't quite clear the new hinge.
Either I did something wrong or I'm still going to have a small notch in the wing (although not as large as it was!).
The wing is separated from the fuse since I had a BIG scare an hour ago.
While the fuse and wing was attached, I tried to test the folding wings and when I hit the switch, the cockpit started filling up with smoke. First, I turned off everything and then I ran and got my fire extinguisher as that's the last thing I need is a plane on fire in my living room! Turns out that the tail wheel servo burned out. Initially, I used a small servo mounted on the tail gear but moved it under the cockpit. The wheel was sitting at an angle and must have overloaded the servo. I need to put a HS-645 servo to handle this large of a plane. I've never had a servo burn on me. Initially, I forgot to turn on the power to the folding wing pump and, since the wing wasn't moving and smoke started to fill the cockpit, I thought it was the pump. By chance, the tail wheel servo started to burn when I was operating the wings.
I'm glad it was the servo as trying to obtain a new pump would probably take forever!