Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: COMP ARF 110" F4U ARF WITH FOLDING WING ASSEMBLY

Some nice videos from the end of the runway:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4JnJXq...eature=related

flybys/stunts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCZwE3BaU10&NR=1

very low flyby:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHRI...eature=related

Get some popcorn, a 52 minute show on the Corsair:
    do search on 'corsair'
    http://www.factualtv.com/public/main.action

G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

The horizontal stab has round access hatches on the top on the left stab and on the bottom on the right stab.
    I just learned this and here's a video to prove at least the hatches are on the top left side and none on the top right side (and I assume they are on the bottom on the right side).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQSSE...eature=related
    That's correct - the stabs on the Corsair are symmetrical/interchangeable, and thus the inspection plates (round hatches) are on the top on the left and bottom on the right. I've seen a few scale Corsairs where this detail was overlooked, and it was one of the first things I checked on the C-ARF kit.

You are doing great on your build, as I view your build pics of the wing fold install it makes me feel kind of guilty that I bought the ARF version!

Barry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Barry,
    Thanks for verifying that bit of info.
    One nice thing with the ARF though is you don't have to buy a new wing if I hosed up the assembly.
    This is not your 'normal' ARF and, depending on how much time you have, the extra $$$ would probably be worth it to a lot of pilots.

===========
    Wing folding mechanism:

I just looked at the left wing and it also touches the 'elbow' part of the main mechanism.
    I didn't notice it before since I didn't feel any resistance as I did on the right wing.
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sam, Its because the stabs were interchangable. The same one can be used either left or right by flipping it over. Speeds up production
    Evan Q.
    http://www.evoshangar.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flaps
    I assembled all the flap hinges that are provided in the kit along with bolts and locking nuts.

pic 1:
    I sanded off the small 'nib' on each 'wing side' of the hinge plus a nib on the 'flap side'.
    The 'nib' is the very small part near the rounded end of the hinge where the two hinge halves are bolted together.
    The larger 'nib' on the 90 degree edge is an alignment nib for the surface of the wing is not to be sanded.
    I used a #31 drill bit to enlarge only the holes on the 'wing side' of the hinge so the bolt would move freely on the 'wing side' but screw into the 'flap side': This will give an extra safety margin in case the locking nut comes off (at least half the hinge will still be attached).
    Be sure to use the proper size drill bit as we don't want any slop in the hinges which could cause flutter.
    A little slop here, a little slop in the control horn, a little slop in the servo arm, not enough servo torque and we're asking for trouble.
    Minor errors can't be tolerated on IMAA legal planes as safety and lost of major $$$$ is unacceptable.

pic 2:
    There are a total of 10 hinge sets: two are double hinges (left in picture) that go between the ends of two flaps and the other eight are for the ends of the other flaps. The beveled part of the 'flap side' of the hinge faces away from the 'wing side'.

ps:Watch you tools!
    I did the drilling out in the detached shop where it was very cold inside (from the previous days 30 degree weather) and a balmy 60 outside so when I opened all the garage doors, all that warm moist air hit my cold large floor model tools and put a nice coating of water on them. I had to put auto polish on them and after the shop acclimatizes, I'll close her up and start up the kerosene heater to dry things out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72242.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	1092639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48929.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	1092640  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Barry:

Would you mind taking some more pictures for me? I am at the point of installing the tail wheel doors. I am interested in the lateral measurements of the hinges, the length of each door (as mine is one piece right now) and a couple pictures of the installed hinges from the interior showing how the doors are linked, etc. I am also curious if yours doors are cut out for the tail wheel. I really cannot tell from the instruction pictures, but it looks like the door is split at the end of the tail wheel itself so no cutout is necessary in the rear doors for closure.

Hope you don't mind, Sam?

Paul
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yo Paul,
    You're way ahead of me as I haven't done any doors yet.
    Looking at the present one piece CF door section: it has about a 1 1/4" by 3" rectangular panel in the middle that I assume is to be cut out for the tail wheel to stick out from. From the pictures, it looks like four doors are to be made from the one piece CF by cutting the CF door in half, length wise, and then cutting again halve way in the middle of where the wheel section was cut out.
    From the pictures on page 28 of the manual, hinge location looks to be about a 1/2" from each end for the front two doors and about 1" in on the back two doors.
    Hope that helps.

One other thing that I noticed: I believe the hole for the tail wheel should have rounded corners but that center panel is square so part of that 'imprinted' panel should be round and not square on the corners.
    I don't have my gears so I would, first, compare that panel to where the tail wheel is located and make sure of the proper location and size before cutting out that middle panel. I'd probably cut the doors into four parts first, install them and then cut the center wheel hole out for accuracy.

That recess at the back of the doors is for a tail hook, in case you add one.

ps: just noticed that your post is directed to Barry!
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paul -

I've got no room in the house to unpack the box today, but will try to get pics for you ASAP as I can.

Decided to finish up a couple of other projects to clear up the workbench while I wait for the Corsair gear to arrive, so the Corsair is back in the box for now...

re the tailwheel doors - yes, the tailwheel should be exposed, and the doors have a rounded cutout to clear the tire. I can scan and post details from the 3-views I am working to, if you'd like.

Barry

Barry:
    Thanks, no hurry, I can wait. It is just that your pictures and input are so much better than the manual. Looking at your completed ARF version really helps and elimates possible mistakes. I think I got it all figured out in my mind, just want to confirm.

Thank you also Sam

Paul
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flaps (cont)
    note: in the previous post, I had the 'wing side' and 'flap side' reversed (which has been corrected).

Right wing.
    The wing folding mechanism had to be accurate and I thought the rest of the build would be a 'piece of cake' but all the hinges for the flaps and ailerons is no 'walk in the park' either!
    First, I attached the right outer wing to the inner wing in the down position and then aligned the three flaps and aileron to the fuse and outer edge of the wing.
    I used the TE of the bottom of the surface of the wings as the main reference point.
    Starting at the fuse, the distance from the TE of the wing to the fillet on the side of the fuse meeting the flap is 5 1/2" so I taped the inside edge of the flap nearest the fuse to the wing, marked off 5 1/2" on the other edge of this flap and taped that side also to the inner wing.
    I took the second flap, marked off 5 1/2" on each end and taped it to the inner wing.
    We are now on the outer wing:
    The TE of the outer wing and inner wing were off a small amount so, instead of using 5 1/2", I aligned the third flap TE to the 2nd's flap's TE.
    I then aligned the ailerons outer edge to the wing tip and taped that end to the wing.
    I then used a straight edge between the outside of the aileron and inside edge of the 3rd flap and aligned the inside edge of the aileron to the outside edge of the 3rd flap so the TE's of both aileron and 3rd flap are a straight line and taped those edges to the wing.
    We now have a smooth flowing line on the TE's of all the moving surfaces.
    I also made sure there was about a 1/16" gap starting at the outside edge of the aileron and working right to the last flap next to the fuse.
    There's not much room at the fuse side, so as I cut and install the hinges from left to right, if needed, I'll sand off some of the fillet by the fuse.
    I also used a felt tip to mark a line on the flaps and aileron where they meet the TE surface of the wing so I can easily insure all is aligned when parts are put back together.

pic 1-4:
    Here's all the moving surfaces taped in place.

pic 5:
    Each hinge base is 13/16" wide, the distance between the two inside edges of the base of each hinge is 1 1/4".
    Since I'm using the TE of the wing as my base, I measure back 7/8" from the TE of the wing to put the base of the wing side of the hinge.
    I then measure 1 1/4" towards the flap from the 7/8" just marked on the wing to give me the location of the base of the 'flap side' of the hinge.
    I moved the 'flap side' base in 1/2" in from the inside edge and draw a rectangular square for where to cut the flap for the 'flap side' of the hinge.
    I used a straight edge and aligned it over the 'flap side' of the hinge and put two more rectangles on the wing for the 'wing side' part of the hinge.
    The two 'wing side' rectangles will be about an 1/8" apart to mirror the hinge.

pic 6:
    The right side of this picture has the two hinges that are combined into one to hold both side of the two flaps to the wing.
    Since the distance between the two inside surfaces of the 'flap side' hinges are only 3/8", the rectangles marked on each flap are only 1/8" from each edge of the flaps.
    The left side of this picture is where the inner wing meets the outer wing so I put each 'flap side' of the hinge 1/2" in from each edge.
    As before, I start at the TE of the wing as the base and measure 7/8" for the 'wing side' base of the hinge, and then measure 1 1/4" to the flap for the 'flap side' of the hinge.
    I moved the 'flap side' base in 1/8" in from the inside edge and draw a rectangular square for where to cut the flap for the 'flap side' of the hinge.
    I used a straight edge and aligned it over the 'flap side' of the hinge and put four rectangles on the wing for the 'wing side' part of the hinge.

pic 7:
    Here the far outside flap is next to the aileron and, again, the 'flap side' of the hinge is 1/2" in from the edge.
    Again, I start at the TE of the wing as the base and measure 7/8" for the 'wing side' base of the hinge, and then measure 1 1/4" to the flap for the 'flap side' of the hinge.
    I moved the 'flap side' base in 1/2" in from the inside edge and draw a rectangular square for where to cut the flap for the 'flap side' of the hinge.
    I used a straight edge and aligned it over the 'flap side' of the hinge and put two rectangles on the wing for the 'wing side' part of the hinge.
    (well, that should be 'about as clear as mud'!)
    Now, all I have to do is cut all those rectangles out, probably all with spars to also be cut into!

Name:	Hf98662.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	1092842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ws56414.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	1092843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg93917.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	1092844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys50213.jpg 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	1092845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gr93120.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	1092846  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Md51065.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	1092847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Np19557.jpg 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	1092848  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Sam:
    You are right about the spar and it is plywood so a tough cut. Don't know how comp-arf got such clean cuts. If the cut starts at 22mm forward of the skin edge, that will put the phenolic tab right in the center of the spar, which is where you want to be. There are balsa spars in the flaps and your measurement will put you close to center on these for gluing.

Be careful of the end ribs on each panel. I know your ribs are located in different places, but the reason the lateral locations where not equadistant on the arf was due to the rib location. You don't want to cut out a rib for a hinge.

I have considerably more clearance between the traling edge skin panel and the aileron. Even at that, I had to work hard afterwards to get 25mm of throw on the aileron.

Make sure all hinges are squared to the panel edge. This means the two outer hinges, even though they are close, will be at different angles.

Just a few hints but probably to late cause you work so darn fast. Great job.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paul,
    Thanks for the info.
    Having someone print off info about the ARF definitely helps.
    Fortunately, I haven't started 'chopping' yet.
    I'm more familiar with US measurements so I converted the manuals metric dimensions to US: the 22mm came out to 7/8".
    I hear you on limited aileron movement due to the wings surface.
    I'm figuring that even though I beveled the inside edges to give a little more aileron movement that I'm probably going to have to sand away an extra 1/16", or what ever it takes, to get proper aileron movement.
    I'm figuring get the outside wing tip align with the edge of the aileron and the inside flap align with the fillet on the fuse, get everything glued in and then make any mods to the back edge of the wing so full movement of the moving surfaces occurs.
    Since the flaps only move down wards, the back edge of the wing will need little sanding.
    The ailerons probably some sanding, but, as with all my warbirds, I don't need much movement anyway to fly scale.
    I just checked my back spar on the wing and mine is made out of balsa so I'm hoping just an x-acto #2 blade will suffice.
    (they did put a thin layer of FG cloth over the balsa)
    I'm glad you mentioned the ribs: those babies are ply but it appears that my hinge locations are not over them but I'll double check as I go.
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flaps (cont)

Right wing (cont)
    My original idea of using an x-acto blade to cut out the slots for the hinges was a total failure.
    That was like trying to cut concrete with a knife!
    Plan B:
    I figured that I could make a template and use a dremel grinding bit.
    I went to my scrap drawer and got some brass sheeting that's about a 1/16" thick: used my band saw to cut a slot 1" long into the one side of the sheeting and filed it smooth to match the width of the dremel bit.

pic 1:
    Here's the template with the slot lined up on the rectangular felt tip marking on the wing.
    I made a line 7/8" down from the end of the slot and perpendicular and put small notches on each end of the template.
    I can now align these two notches on the edge of the wing and it aligns the slot in the template perpendicular to the edge of the wing.
    I used two clamps to hold the template in place and also put some double stick tape under the template to insure that it doesn't slide.

pic 3/4:
    The first cut.
    I put the dremel bit in one end of the slot and move it back and forth going only about an 1/8" deep on each pass.

pic 5:
    The bit in the dremel is the one that I used.
    This bit is just a hair narrower than the one next to it (which is 1/8" diameter).
    The 1/8" would probably also work, the slot would just be a little wider but the epoxy with micro-balls would fill it in.

pic 6/7:
    The second cut.
    These wing cuts go down 1" deep.

pic 8:
    Bad picture but this is the template on the flap.
    I only used double stick tape to hold the template on for fear of damaging the surface of the flap with those very strong clamps.
    The flap cuts only go down 3/4" deep.
    There is a 1/2" balsa spare plus they put some ply there for re-enforcement.

pic 9-11:
    One hinge done.
    The dremel bit makes quick work of the job and the template keeps the bit in a straight line (which would be extremely difficult for me to do without a template).
    I love problems like this and coming up with a solution.

Name:	Pn35678.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	1093135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uq49516.jpg 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1093136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu50432.jpg 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	1093137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At54795.jpg 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	1093138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cn79787.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	1093139  

Name:	Zq97017.jpg 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	1093140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Df73527.jpg 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1093141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu71873.jpg 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	1093142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qp12193.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	1093143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Co70608.jpg 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	1093144  

Name:	Ms78384.jpg 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	1093145  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flaps (cont)

Right wing (cont)
    Before continuing on with cutting out the flap hinges, I first epoxied in the aileron.
    This way, I can accurately install each flap with the proper gap between it and the moving surface to the left.
    I'll be doing this with each flap: ie, epoxy in place before moving on the the next set of hinges.

pic 1:
    Thanks to Paul's observation that a lot of material has to be removed from the edge of the wing for the aileron to move, I epoxied the aileron so the bottom surfaces of the aileron and wing are even.
    This gives extra room along the top edges when the aileron is in the up position.
    I epoxied (with micro-balls) the wing in the upside down position to insure that the hinges are glued in the upper part of the slots (cut them to long before realizing that the hinges need to be nearer to the upper surface of the wing).
    I then put some balsa in the upper gap to force the aileron down towards the lower surface of the wing.

pic 2/3:
    After the epoxy dried, I figured about a 1/16" would be required off the edge of the bottom wing.

pic 4/5:
    I'm getting 1 1/8" throw each way which is way more than I will ever use (usually around 3/4" ).

pic 6/7:
    You can't see the original felt tip marks but I ended up removing a 1/16" along the outside edge of the wing and an 1/8" off the inside edge of the wing.
    More than I was expecting but I preferred removal along the bottom where it won't be seen.

Name:	Hf98250.jpg 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	1093325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55211.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	1093326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm22475.jpg 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	1093327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf94406.jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	1093328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ep85218.jpg 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	1093329  

Name:	Ct18320.jpg 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	1093330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jl95520.jpg 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	1093331  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flaps (cont)

Right wing (cont)

pic 1:
    I taped the outside edge of the aileron to the wing so I can then tape the outside edge of the flap to the inside edge of the aileron for alignment.

pic 2:
    Some epoxy and micro-balls pushed down into the slots and also all contact surfaces on the hinges and then 'let her cook'.

pic 3:
    Plenty of deflection.
    Didn't have all the sanding that was necessary on the aileron.

pic 4:
    In case you want air brakes!

Name:	Ki19584.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	1093452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61728.jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	1093453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot48491.jpg 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1093454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zt54059.jpg 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1093455  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flaps (cont)

Right wing (cont)

pic 1-9:
    I cut out the rest of the recesses for the hinges for the last two flaps on the right wing.
    Everything is dry fitted for these two flaps.
    There's some binding on the double hinge but the manual says the hinge is suppose to bow out (which would create binding).
    It's getting late so I'll 'sleep on it' and start fresh in the morning on: if any adjustments are needed and the order of gluing.
    Paul was right about the ply on the TE of the wing: Balsa TE is on the outer wing whereas ply is used on the inner wing TE.

Name:	Ig11557.jpg 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	1093604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26186.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	1093605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58081.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	1093606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bv60036.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1093607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yj64211.jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	1093608  

Name:	Du19483.jpg 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	1093609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qs27499.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	1093610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rq56561.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	1093611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn96894.jpg 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	1093612  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flaps (cont)

Right wing (cont)
    The outer flap was previously epoxied in, which is part of the outer wing.
    This post epoxies in the center and inner flap.
    In order to insure all hinges are seated properly while the epoxy is drying, the wing side part of the hinge was epoxied one hinge at a time.

pic 1:
    The middle flap, outer wing side part of the hinge is epoxied with micro-balls to the wing.
    (R2 in the picture indicates the middle flap, R1 is the inner flap)

pic 2:
    I then did the inner flap, inner wing side part of the hinge.

pic 3:
    The last wing side part epoxied was the double hinge that attaches to the inner and center flap where the two flaps meet.

pic 4:
    Once all the wing side hinges were epoxied, I then did each flap side of the hinge, doing both ends of the flap at once.
    I first epoxied both flap sides of the hinge to the center flap.

pic 5:
    I then epoxied both flap sides of the hinge to the inner flap.

pic 6/7:
    The flaps all seem to work OK.
    As you can see, per the manual, the double center hinge bows out when the center and inner flaps are lowered.
    I'm not sure yet if I'll file a small angled hole in the hinge to relieve the hinge tension.
    A phynolic disk still needs to be inserted between these two flaps since the inner flap gets a servo and the inner flap then moves the center flap via the disk.

Name:	Hf98221.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	1094839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50927.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	1094840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lr39614.jpg 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	1094841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qj20902.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	1094842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bm75961.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	1094843  

Name:	Fw27356.jpg 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	1094844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fh82464.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1094845  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello samparfitt,

referring to picture 6/7, you should grind a liitle bit material away from the flaps. The problem is, as you know, the flaps collide when they are lowered. The original corsair has the same problem and therefore has more clearance in the flapnosearea. You can see this on detailpictures from the original.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If as you say Sam, the center hinges bow out "per instructions" it is not a good idea...

the two corresponding hinges for each flap should be lined up so as the pivot pins (the screws in your case) can be lined up on a straight line. If not, the binding is inevitable. It just seems strange for a kit of this quality and precision to be setup this way.
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sounds like a better idea than enlarging the hinge holes.
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello samparfitt,
    the picture may help you. As you can see, the flaps are also cut a little bit.

Guido

[img][/img]

Name:	Ge95572.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	1094992  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: didiwatt

Barry:

Would you mind taking some more pictures for me? I am at the point of installing the tail wheel doors. I am interested in the lateral measurements of the hinges, the length of each door (as mine is one piece right now) and a couple pictures of the installed hinges from the interior showing how the doors are linked, etc. I am also curious if yours doors are cut out for the tail wheel. I really cannot tell from the instruction pictures, but it looks like the door is split at the end of the tail wheel itself so no cutout is necessary in the rear doors for closure.

Hope you don't mind, Sam?

Paul
    Hi Paul -

Here are some pics of the tailwheel doors, hinging, and linkage attaching the two (forward/aft) doors. There is no cutout for the tailwheel, however. I am concerned that the wheel, when retracted, may not extend below the door level. If so, some mods may be needed to make sure the wheel does extend below (either limiting throw on the actuating ram, or installing a tapered shim on the gear mount to "tilt" the retract ass'y) to allow this.

I have also attached some 3-view scans, from Detail & Scale vol. 55, which only shows the LATE production FG-1D (F4U-1D's made by Goodyear) with the external tail wheel fairing on the rear doors. All of the Vought produced (and early Goodyear production) -1D's did not have this fairing, they were the same as the -1A's, with a cutout in the doors to clear the wheel and no fairing. I've also attached scans of the -1D 3-view from the Kagaero vol. 26 book, and scans of the -1A bottom and side views from D&S vol. 55, showing what should be the correct cutout shape without the fairings.

Barry

PS - My gear arrived today (hooray!) but the tailwheel ram is messed up - it is jammed in the "out" position and thin lube, 110 psi air pressure, etc. does not free it up. Anyone else have a similar problem? It appears to be a Robart made unit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

Here are some mpics of the tailwheel doors, hinging, and linkage attaching the two (forward/aft) doors.....
    Oops...forgot to attach the pics, here they are.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

FWIW, now that all the parts are here, I am going to begin construction (assembly/finishing!) after the new year holiday.

Barry

Name:	Ay73459.jpg 
ID:	1095578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jf11413.jpg 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	1095579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di99441.jpg 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1095580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cv61231.jpg 
ID:	1095581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do81405.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1095582  

Barry:
    Thank you very much for the pictures. Interesting, that the instructions call for 3 sets of hinges on the front doors and yours has only 2. Since they are smaller than the wheel door which only have 2 and work fine, I think it is enough.

My tailwheel retract cylinder seems to work fine. I know the main gear retract door cyclinders are Robarts but I think the tailwheel cylinder is Sierra's because Darrell made the 1" extension for the shaft, which I am still waiting for. Does yours have the extension on it?

I don't like the idea that the tail wheel doors are actuated by a funky spring set-up. Wonder why they did not put a couple door actuators here like the mains?

I see the rudder and elevator mechanism's are not installed in your arf version so you still have some heavy duty work to do.

As it appears now, more than 1/2 of my tailwheel will be sticking out of the doors so I am kind of bummed about that. For some reason I can't pull up your pdf's so will try at work today. Once again, thank you for the pic's.

Hopefully, if you got your gear, Sam will get his also which means he will be to the tail assembly shortly. Curious to what his opinion will be.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Barry,

In regards to you Tail Wheel Air Cylinder (RAM). I think it is already in the "IN" position.
    Try putting air in the "Other Air Nipple" and see if it extends. The Cylinder has a long
    shaft and the rod sticks out of the cylinder even when the "Piston" is all the way back.

Have you tried air on both ends, or just the front one?

Call me if you can't get it to work right.

Darrell Tenny
    Sierra Giant Scale

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast