Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Sea to Sky Fliers WW1 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Sea to Sky Fliers WW1 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
doublebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea to Sky Fliers WW1 Build Thread

Hello everyone . In this thread we will be building 4 different WW1 planes from Balsa USA . the kits are all 1/4 scale . the kits being built here will be :
1) Fokker DR-1 triplane -builder - Kevin Z
2)Sopwith Pup -builder - Keith B
3)Nieuport 17 -builder - Trevor J
4)Spad 13 -builder - Berrick B

However this is not to say if you are not building one of these you are not welcome. On the contrary , this winter's build is about WW1 planes so if your building one please feel free to enlighten us about your particular project .
I think for the most part this is our first balsa usa(busa) kits we have built and also first 1/4 scale WW1 stuff . Hopefully building will help to pass the time through these up coming cold winter months and come spring time have some pretty sweet warbirds to fly .

Let the Building Begin !!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
doublebs

Default RE: Sea to Sky Fliers WW1 Build Thread

So my kit arrived yesterday . Seems like its pretty well put together . i have cut the wing prints and aligned and taped the top wing together as this is the first wing to build . I placed pins at the ends of the leading spar and ran a peice of fishin line between them . prints are off, string doesn't lie . so i cut the tape and re-aligned the plans so that the spar is straight. since a straight spar should build a straight wing this was a critical first step.i then re-taped the plans and then taped them down to my bench.
I started to sort through the box of wood ,WOW IS THERE EVER A TON IF IT!! So much so that i quickly decided to only pull out the bits that i needed to start the wing . from what i saw it appears to be well bundled and packaged well . laid out just as the manual shows it . speaking of manual , it is 114 paged thick with tons of pictures, the clearest of any kit i've built. so i'm off to build some spars and start placing ribs .

pics to follow .

Berrick
Old 11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
doublebs

some pics . server so slow will try to post more later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22016.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1064243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45560.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1064244  
Old 11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
doublebs

yet some more . .......................

Name:	Ay74904.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1064246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36418.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1064247  
Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This will be a great thread, We have a growing collection of the 1/4 balsa usa planes here now, You won't be dissapointed in them. I am sure you have already researched it ..but make sure you look into adding positive incidence at the stabilizer. Its fairly common concensus that it helps. And eliminates the need of elevator droop for level flying.. I can't wait to see your projects come along !

project , 1/3 pup framed up, I got it that way, now I am tweaking things, deciding on how much and what kind of details, to add.... ENJOYING IT!!!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built several of BUSA WWI kits and they all have turned out great. They are fun to build, have good quality materials, well layed out instructions and fly great! Have fun!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
flyinguy-in-whistler
My Feedback: (4)

I opened the box and laid out the LARGE bundle of wood(DR1) on the new sheet of foam. Looking forward to start the build tonite, first will need to get a GOOD long straight edge to check the new build table(the wife moved her stuff to her new office, all this space) I might bring in my large slab of laminated work bench top for under the foam. I just like the solid feel of that. Will post photos of set up later...wait till you see the the view out the window...9000' of stunning mountain, with our paved runway at its base.
Kevin Z
Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
splitzed

Okay Guy's Just waiting for the man in the little brown truck to show up, by my calculations my kit should arrive by Wed this week.

In anticipation, since there's nothing to do but wait and count the days, I got busy and cleaned up the shop and got organized. I am ready!! Looking forward to keeping in touch with you guys while we get this build going, this will be a great way to share ideas and bounce questions off one another, and any other experts out there that may be willing to chime in.

Once I get my kit I'll post pictures of the conents

Later, Trevor

Name:	Lj24200.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1064637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16273.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1064638  
Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forwards to the builds.

I have three 1/4 someplace in the works.

BUSA Fokker D.VII which is nearly done (just gotta cover and mount the engine), powered by a Zenoah G38
BUSA Sopwith Scout/Pup (still in the box, will be powered by a Zenoah G23
Custom cut Fokker D.VIII which should be here in the next couple of days. Probably powered by a G38 as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
keithb1

My Sopwith Pup from Balsa USA arrived last week and I have been through the box and taken a cursory look at the plans and instruction booklet. As much as I would like to start right away, I still have much to do on my Brian Taylor 1.53 Spitfire. At some point I hope to be able to work on both.
Keith
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM
doublebs

SPAD 13 - this is SO awsome!!!!!!!!!!! all of us on this thread building at once . may i make a suggestion? i think that it may be helpful if at the beginning of a post , in caps, your plane . like i did here . it may be easier for others to follow if interested in a particular build . i will post pics tonight of last nights progress .

berrick
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 AM
flyinguy-in-whistler

DR1 Did my first night of building and pleased with progress. Setting up the new station was much easier than I thought it would be. Snow is getting down further on the mountain so will be building more

Name:	Zx71148.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1065197  
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 AM
flyinguy-in-whistler

Night 2 of building DR1.
Glued down ribs. I took the W1 ribs and placed one on the left wing and the other on the right when separating them from their sheets. maybe it'll be easier to balance!!! Spars glued on...hmmmm some election going on tonite. RE step 24 the forward ply center should state or show that it is leaning at an angle forward against both spars. Ran out of thick CA so will stop for the night. I'm going to add the top L.E. sheet tomorrow after I apply white glue to both the rib edge and the LE sheet let it dry then iron it on to follow the contour of the ribs, this is by far the best way to follow curves and glue a surface down at the same time.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 AM
keithb1

Must be nice to have that new work station Kevin. I'm looking forward to a long weekend in the shop and hopefully enough progress on the Spitfire to start this project.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:32 AM
keithb1

Thought I would post one picture of the Spitfire under construction so you know its not imaginary!

Name:	Zx72017.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1065866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37327.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1065867  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
doublebs

SPAD- had to take the night off last night . dinner at the neighbours . they are going to mexico as well on the 30th and want me to look after their place . i'm not back till the 2nd so they will have to leave more food out for the furry feline.

KEVIN- the wing looks good . i'm jelous of your rib count! my top wing has over 42!!
i had to sand out EVERY notch for the spars as they were too small .

KEITH - the spit looks awsome . i keep looking at the p-51 wing wondering when i'll get to it . i thiink i'll finish it after the spad is sticked up and ready to cover . then i'll have two to do!!

i hope to get the top spars on tonight . in the meantime here are some shots of top wing progress after 2 evenings.

Name:	Sq46075.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1066414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83196.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1066415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41320.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1066416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54851.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1066417  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM
mobyal

SPAD
That really looks good.
But jeez, that's a one-piece wing? What is it, 80"? It'll be a little bit awkward to move around to work on and transport/store, seems to me. Hope the bottom wing's two-piece.
Keep up the good work!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM
splitzed

Newp
Hey Kieth the spitfire is loking good! You are going to be one busy man this winter.

Okay It's on, I recieved my kit today as expected, I've had a quick look over the manual, it always seems so duanting when you look at the whole project at once, it becomes much easier once you break it down and start actually glueing pieces together. So I read in some other forums to check the wing halfs becuase some guys have found that one side is longer than the other, and sure enough the top and bottom wing on one side is 5/16" longer than the other side, so I will adjust that off the bat. May as well go with the longer one Bigger is always better thats my motto. Other than that the wood looks good, I will be making a couple of mods on the landing gear and the tail skid to make them more scale, I also want to go with a pull pull set up on the rudder and elevator, again more scale like and better performance.

For power I'm going to go with the Spe 26 since I already have one in my busa Citabria, although I may change my mind and go with the Zenoah g26 see how the funds are when the time comes. What is everyone else going with for power, Kevin I'm sure your going electric, what about you Kieth? I wouldn't put it past Berrck to fit his DA 50 in that Spad!! He'll find a way to make it fit.

Hey Kev, when you talked about glueing your sheeting on did you mean to let the glue dry completley and then iron it so the glue heats up and melts? I didn't understand that, and I've never heard of that method, sounds interesting.

HERES SOME PICS

Name:	Xv65133.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1066457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60972.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1066458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59840.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1066459  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 AM
flyinguy-in-whistler

Top sheeted the ply to the LE using the the dry glue and iron method, yes it works great. Use white glue (2 thin coats) on both surfaces and let dry completly. Using your iron start at the flatest part and work towards the curve. This is a fantastic way to bond those complex bends and curves as it vulcanizes the two parts together. All of us with other projects on the go. I need to get Greg's Beaver electrified, got the 5330 mounted now need to wire up the HV110. Once this is gone maybe I can start my other project....A Fiesler Storch 156
Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 AM
doublebs

trevor thats funny!! but really don't know what powerplant to go with yet . was thinking maybe the new saito four stroke gasser . possibly a twin? any thoughts?
will post pics of tonights progess later
Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 AM
keithb1

Hey Trevor
I'm going to try the Saito 120 as that's all my Pup calls for. The sound of the throttled down Saito should be good. It's incredible how much time it takes working from plans and then trying to figure out all the bits that are not in the plan. I won't be surprised if your plane is framed up in a week at the rate you go! Good idea to measure the wings and such to make sure its all symetrical. I will do the same.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:10 AM
splitzed

newp
Okay, It's not much but it is a start, I wont be able to really go at it until next week due to work schedule, it just feels good to get it started. So far everythings nice and straight.

Name:	Xv64467.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1066485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98895.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1066486  
Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 AM
doublebs

SPAD - oh boy here we go ! looks like we are all full throttle! lol . pics from tonight

i laminated the vision of the top wing and glued it into place . also installed the upper spars . maybe i need to pace myself ?????? nagh!!
finally ate dinner at 930 . the wife was really impressed!! however in my defence i was in the middle of the lamination process .

trevor you crack me up!

Name:	Jh17170.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1066490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83501.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1066491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90634.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1066492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81913.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1066493  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:43 AM
keithb1

You guys are just givin er. I have a long weekend coming up and I will continue the Spit build and get this one started if work doesn't get in the way. Set up the ailerons tonight and have figured out I need to get some metal servo arms to make it all fit. By the looks of the weather flying is off for the weekend.
Keith
Old 11-07-2008, 02:52 AM
splitzed

newp
just a little progress tonight, got all the false ribs in place top spars on and leading edge glued on.
Any snow in the hills up there yet?

Trevor

Name:	Ig13201.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1067053  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.