Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/5 Top Flight P-51 Electric

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/5 Top Flight P-51 Electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/5 Top Flight P-51 Electric

Thanks Casey,
Of course you can man... I hope I remember, it's been awhile since I set mine up.
I pulled mine down today and started to install the new ESC.. need to order some more bullet connectors

Hope to get it back in the air in the next few weeks weathering premitting

shoot your only in yuba city we should plan to fly together at woodlands wings of victory meet in the summer.... show those gas guys whats up!!

The 5345-14 is one powerful SOB...lol...if your going 12s 5000 prop down... I have a 20x11 wide on mine now and hit 90 amps 3800 watts
Old 01-01-2012, 05:42 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks ron I'll have plenty of questions for you...

I would love to make a fly in with you... show those gas guys what you're missing!

I'll pm you before too long.

Thanks so much

Casey
Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
glazier808

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZrQ...e_gdata_player

you probably seen this one, but I still wanted to share...

Casey
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
glazier808

Ron, I've changed over to the EC5 connectors... it works great for me over bullets...

Casey
Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Ron101

I did the same thing Casey changed everthing to EC5's
They work great.. I ran them on the test stand up to 130 amps and there not even warm

So much safer to work with

I love that video by the way

later bud
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
glazier808

John's my hero lol...

Casey
Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM
vik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: glazier808

John's my hero lol...

Casey
Mine too
His builds (Hornet, Spitfire, Emil, Corsair and latest Tempest are on RCSB).
The details are mindblowing
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Ron101

I agree the guy is amazing.... his planes are a work of art
Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Ron101

I would have to call today the good, the bad, the lucky. It’s been since the maiden that I have flown this beast. With the Ice 160 recalls, weather, and working on other planes I just never had a chance. Well I looked her over very well, charged it all up and off to the field we went. Did a few warm ups on my 60 sized P-51 then got the big guy ready to go with the new 20x11 prop and a new set of 12s 65c 5000mah packs. In the morning I had zero wind and it took off with no issues. This time the throttle was synced up with the sound system very good now that I can fly at full power with the smaller prop…

I have to say it just sounds and looks amazing in the air… it’s very fast and has tons of power. It’s still a bit over powered but very fun to fly. My fast passes were cooking and this prop sounds even better than the last. I flew for 4:00 minutes and dropped the gear, went to full flaps and brought it right in. Landing was a little hot but good… it still gets a little wild at the very end of the roll out. I serious think it’s the tires… I have robart wheels and have heard for years the tires cause ground handling issues.

I did two more flights and was really feeling good with it… the sound was sending shivers down my spin on the fast passes, no problem with huge vertical, landings were a bit better by pulling the flaps back up after the wheels touched down. The tail wasn’t so light and handled better.
Now the ugly, a steady cross wind was picking up. I had a set of packs charged and didn’t want to waste them. So I loaded them up and went for it, fighting the cross wind I almost went it to the fence. I got it lined back up and went for it again…same thing. My better judgment and inner voice said pack up and head home. But I wanted that rush again and I knew I was close to dialing in my throws which I was working on each flight. This time I really hit it and the tail started to lift….out of control I was heading right for the fence. Full rudder couldn’t correct the problem so I pulled off the throttle and headed into the mesh fence…the nose missed a poll by a few inches. But the wing leading edge took the hit. That spun the plane and bent one retracts and smashed the exhaust stacks.

I was so pissed, loaded up and came home... I dove right into it and it’s not that bad at all. Fixed the retract and exhaust stacks… cut the covering away from the dented area on the leading edge. Slapped some filler on it and threw down a patch and bended it in well. I just have to get the retract back in and paint the exhaust stacks I replaced…. it will look good as new.
The good news is this thing is flipping amazing to fly and will be fine, I was lucky. I won’t mess with cross wind until I have the wheels and ground handling under control along with getting more flights on the plane.. 5:00 minute high performance flights look like the norm with the 5000mah. After it’s dialed I will try my 6500mah which should give me 6:00 to 7:00 minutes….
What I machine, can’t wait to get it back out.. I will work on more video for you guys soon. Just been so busy and haven’t flown with my buds in awhile. But I love this thing
Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 AM
glazier808

Ron,

Glad that there was not too much damage...those fences can really shred a plane.
I 've been toying with the idea of putting a sound system in my 1/5 scale FW 190 as well. I love it in the 109. I'll have to see if they can get the recording though, as they dont list the 190 in the sounds list... Model solutions out of Canada has a system as well, but I dont know much about them. It looks nice though, and they list a FW190...

Casey
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
rcyogi

Question, is the Spychalla Aircraft Cowl still availble? Try emailing Leo, but came back as unknow emial. Any help will be apreciated.

Cheers,
Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Ron101

Ron,

Glad that there was not too much damage...those fences can really shred a plane.
I 've been toying with the idea of putting a sound system in my 1/5 scale FW 190 as well. I love it in the 109. I'll have to see if they can get the recording though, as they dont list the 190 in the sounds list... Model solutions out of Canada has a system as well, but I dont know much about them. It looks nice though, and they list a FW190...

Casey
Thanks Casey,
You have to do the sound system at least once man,,, it's so good. The guys were going nuts it really sounds nice. I think even if you just find a sound file you like or sounds pretty close no one it going to know it's not the right sound file but you. I still think the aerosound system is the best with the speakers in the bottom of the wing.

Question, is the Spychalla Aircraft Cowl still availble? Try emailing Leo, but came back as unknow emial. Any help will be apreciated.

Cheers,
I have seen Leo on here not to long ago.... I'd find him on here and send him a PM you may be able to sweet talk him into laying one up for you. The cowl makes this plane
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 AM
The Swede

Hi Ron.

Just re-started my build of Mustang. I'm using the Jeti Spin 200 just like you. I intend to use 4 6s 5000mAh LiPo's set up as 12s 2p 10000 mAh. The Jeti Spin has got 2 black and 2 red leads (and a red anti-spark) Do you have any advice on how to connect batteries and ESC? Feeling a bit confused...

Cheers

Benny
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Ron101

Hi Ron.

Just re-started my build of Mustang. I'm using the Jeti Spin 200 just like you. I intend to use 4 6s 5000mAh LiPo's set up as 12s 2p 10000 mAh. The Jeti Spin has got 2 black and 2 red leads (and a red anti-spark) Do you have any advice on how to connect batteries and ESC? Feeling a bit confused...

Cheers

Benny
Hey Benny, I ended up not useing the Spin in this plane. It was to big and heavy... I put it in another plane. (where is burned up on me on 14s) I'm using the CC Ice 160 HV.
On the spin what I did was double up both red wires and put them in one 6mm bullet and solder them... same with the black...just doubled up. For the anti-spark I just ran a lead off the lipo side on the final connection and you connect it right before you plug in your last connection... and leave it plugged in throughout the flight.

Man 10000, mah your going to have a long flight.... but that's a lot of weight. I guess without the sound system and details like mine you will be fine. I wouldn't want to fly this plane much over 27 pounds loaded
Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 AM
tuchadwick59
My Feedback: (31)

Here is a great build Thread we are doing on an electric Yellow P-38 with massive sound system. Also has videos of the benedini system on Corsair and P-40. SonicBoomRC.com is getting ready to launch the new Benedini systems in the US and they are doing it cheap. Less than half the cost of the AeroSoundRC prices.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11512557/anchors_11528987/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#11528987