RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/5 Top Flight P-51 Electric

Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/5 Top Flight P-51 Electric

Leo

I have been looking for a really good explanation of blade info for rc. Thanks. This will make me fabricate another composite blade for my 109 that may pull better than the one I made from cutting cross sections of other blades to see the shape. Not very technical, but thats just me.

I have a question for you. Does the blades airfoil and thickness play a role in the efficiency of the blade and how?

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve,

Absolutely! The blade cross section is a big deal, both thickness and shape. I have seen significant performance differences between different manufacturers all making the same diameter and pitch. You can study them for yourself but what I have seen on the wood props is that the Bolly and the Zoar have a thin cross section compared to Menz and 3W. They turn 300 - 400 rpm faster with other perameters held constant. You can feel it in the air as well. Thickness of the wood props is a function of strength and stiffness. They need enough thickness to not flex and fracture the blade. Most of the wood props have a flat bottom airfoil on the prop for ease of construction, but you will notice that the glass filled nylon props like the APC are not completely flat bottom airfoils. It is semi-symetrical in some areas for performance and it makes a huge difference. I once had some APC 19 X 14 props that I would run on an AT-6 I had. The thing was a rocket! Never had a prop like that since and don't think they make them that big anymore. Too bad. I have tried the Mejlik but never got much performance from them. They look nice but have not pulled for me as well as a wood Bolly. So play around with props and see what works for you.

Now I will do my best not to rob this thread away from it's original subject. I will work to focus it back on to the 1/5th TF Electric P-51 which I am very interested in. Leo
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the quick response.

Steve
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just an update ..
I've gotten just about everything I need to build the plane...

so of course I threw out my neck last week and have had to hold off on working on her..
I'll get out in the shop in a week or two.. I'll update as soon as I've got something to show
for now it's more pills
Ron
Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (100)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well you have convinced me to go elecric on my next bird. It will be a Dave Boddington Hawker Hurricane. It was bought from a person here on rcu and was part of a build thread. Currently with a wiingspan of 88" ws weighs around 13lbs. Still working on the electric setup details but I am well on my way. Thanks for the push.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20650.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1073612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33477.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1073613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39265.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1073614  
Old 11-17-2008, 01:59 AM
Ron101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

good deal ram bro!!
that will be a sweet heart.. let me know if you need any help on the power settup

Ron
Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ron,
Good looking Mustang. I have gone totally Electric myself. They are just more fun to fly.
Rambro your Hurricane would be perfect for the same setup I have in my Me 109. The 109 weighed in at 13lbs before adding the power system. My ready to fly weight was 18lbs...I know there are many different setups this was just my 2cents worth...

I am using :
Eflight 160
CC 85 HV only pulling 65amps full power
2 /5 cell 5000 mah lipos. I am getting 6-8 minute flights and only putting about 4000 back in the pack on longer flights
APC 20x10 E prop turning 7400 rpms

Here is a video of two of them flying together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9ELO5o1Fc

Ty

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77313.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1073676  
Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Ram-bro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Ty, you were the original inspiratio. I cant tell you how many times I have watched the video of you r 109. Anyone out there try or using the Ram speaker/sound system? I wonder how they work and mount the units. Ty where did you buy your electric setup from? I am pricing some units now?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Ron101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks great Ty,
you did a real nice job... the formation flying was cool

Ron
Old 11-18-2008, 05:33 AM
fockewulf37

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rambro,
I have looked and it appears that the 160's are on backorder. When I bought my setup I shopped around for the best deal....Now don't laugh but I am really considering on buying these from Hobby city for my next project. I saw a guy recently at a flyin with this set up and it ran really well and the cost is minimal.:
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 AM
fockewulf37

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rambro,
I have looked and it appears that the 160's are on backorder. When I bought my setup I shopped around for the best deal....Now don't laugh but I am really considering on buying these from Hobby city for my next project. I saw a guy recently at a flyin with this set up and it ran really well and the cost is minimal.:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3890

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6550&Product_Name=TURNIGY_Sentilon100A_HV_2-12S_(USA_Warehouse)

I am really considering on buy the 50cc Motor also it will turn a 25x10 prop ...

Ty
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM
The Swede

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Leo.
Thanks for your input on my set-up. This makes absolute sense (maths was my best subject in college lol...) but I have also looked at Joacim's "empirical research", post 97 onwards in the thread I recommended in my previous post. Most often theory can be applied in practice but sometimes I think it's a matter of testing to see what result different settings will give. According to the formula it doesn't really matter what pitch you choose, the propeller-type (Soloprops) will always be in-efficiant but more significant with a higher pitch. I'm not building my Mustang to break any speed records, I just want a great looking plane that sounds good and flies as near scale as possible. Do you have any suggestions on what pitch I should choose to get the best out of this prop?

Cheers

Benny
Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Ram-bro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the setup i will be using on the Hurricane is the HC-6332-230 with the PH-85 HV speed controller turning a 19-10 e prop. 2200 watts at 75 amps. All I can say about the batteries is I need a 10s 5000. You guys look it over and tell me what I am missing.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 PM
fockewulf37

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok,
I have 4 of these batteries and a friend of mine has a set. So far we have had good use of them. I got my 4, 6 cell 5000 mah packs for $150 each amd the 5 cell 5000 mah packs for $120 each. they were from:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/

Ty
Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Ram-bro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ty, thanks. I will check them out and see what I can do
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The Swede

Hi Leo.

(edited)...... Do you have any suggestions on what pitch I should choose to get the best out of this prop?
Cheers
Benny
Benny,

No. My understanding is that you're going with an electric set-up. Consequently you will need to experiment and base that pitch on what your overall system can handle. I'd hope a watt meter would be one of the first items you would purchase so that you could do real time measurement of the power you are drawing at different pitch settings. You may have listed your system parameters in earlier postings but you have to know what your motor, speed controller, and batteries can handle. Then pitch that prop accordingly so that you do not burn things up while still giving you a decent flight time. How many watt system are you going for?

Leo
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Eaglepilot2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Leo, are you still making the cowl for the mustang? I didn't see anything on your website about it.

Mike
Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 AM
fockewulf37

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For any of you guys doing the Electric conversions. Make sure you have easy access to the batteries.. I was lucky. I am able to pull the bottom cheek cowl off with one screw to get ot the batteries. I have 2 sets of batteries and can change them out in about 4 minutes max. Most of these planes are not designed so you can easily reach your hand inside to strap and unstrap a battery in place.. Just a thought.....

Ty
Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 PM
The Swede

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Leo.

I'm using a Turnigy motor of 130 kV, max power 6500W. ESC is a JETI Spin 200 to handle high current draw.
LiPo's are 2x 6S2P 5000mAh in series to give 10000mAh and 44V, C-rating 30C. And, yes, got a Wattmeter... as you say, a necessity to check the set-up before flight. All components in the system have been intentionally overdimensioned to allow maximum safety to avoid burning any components...
Have made test-runs already. With the motor attached to a good garden table the table nearly took off... so, there's some good grunt... Will do extensive taxi- and take-off runs before attempting first take-off to learn to handle the enormous torque.

Cheers for your helpful comments.

Benny
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Eaglepilot2

Leo, are you still making the cowl for the mustang? I didn't see anything on your website about it.

Mike
Mike, I sell 1 to 2 a week by word-of-mouth. No advertising. 32 cowls sold so far. I fear what would happen if I were to advertise it. When the demand settles down I will put it on the website.

It will be very interesting to see how this cowl is used in this electric set-up. I am anxious to see how the builder manages air flow and cooling. Leo
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM
fockewulf37

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really don't think cooling would be too much of a problem unless you use full throttle all the time. I run a full flight without a whole lot of cooling. My batteries only get to be about 120 degrees. I've seen tighter installations without any problems...
Ty
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Eaglepilot2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Leo,

I will be contacting you very soon hopefully. That OEM cowl has bothered me from day one. Your cowl makes it much higher on my want list now. Just wanted to make sure it was still available.

Mike
Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Ram-bro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ron or Ty, ca you give the dimensions of your battery packs and the weights? I was told to hold off on buying batteries until the spring time considering that batteries have a shelf life. I need to determine the setup, both physically and CG wise.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Ron101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so my neck has gotten better..
I'm off for a few weeks so it's back to the build

the spinner showed up.. tru trun does a great job... it's the 5 1/2" for the spychalla cowl
this thing is a monster

I made up a few test panels today.. I'm going to glass them then try out the behr silver to see how I like it
also test my yellow and make sure I like it before I put it on the plane

Friday I'm going to mount the engine and get the cowl glued on

keep you posted

Ron
Old 11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
fockewulf37

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ram-bro Each companies batteries may have different dementions. I have 2 different sizes for the same cell and MAH.. As far as lipo's if you don't abuse them it should be 300 cycles or 10 years?? hat what I have been told... My first pack is about 2 years old and still going strong....

Ty

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy