Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Old 10-26-2014, 11:11 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I mean on the mixing page. I run a Spektrum DX-7 and it has a whole page to setup the flap deflections and also mix flaps with elevator if desired. So, not sure if that's percent or just relative units. I don't think you could do all that trimming with the trim switch on the elevator and fly at the same time! ha. Maybe you could, but it might be a handful if you had to go around. As far as using the trim switch, might be just one click for half and one more for full, or maybe just one click period. Hard to say. I let the radio make me look good with aileron to rudder interconnect ( 20% mix) on turns as well as the down elevator mix with flaps.

Last edited by LBJ; 10-26-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:44 PM
LBJ

For those of you running a DA-85, Desert Aircraft has recalled the DA-85 to reduce the compression ratio. Seems when flying all out the cylinders are blowing off due to too much power! The service is free but you pay shipping both ways. I sold my TBM Zero to a fellow RC Club friend and he's sending the engine back to have the mod done. This is the time of year to take it down and get her done. I recently missed his re-maiden of the Zeke, but he said she flew like a Banshee at 100 mph or better. Wow!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:10 AM
LBJ

I recently bought a Meister Scale Zero with glass fuselage and complete wood kit, two spinners, canopy, and cowl. A fellow club member bought this directly from Meister and by the time it arrived, he had gotten several more models deep. So, he put it up for sale on our RC Club board. I looked and looked and looked and finally bought it. It was a bit much to resist. She's BIG at 108" and can be made to 118" with the larger wing plan. Fuselage is 91" and will just fit into my camper shell truck bed. Going to finish the CARF P-51D first, but looking forward to this girl.

The Zero will accept a DLE-111 fine, I understand. Cannot really afford a Radial for her, but the twin DLE will be fine.

Before I can do these, I have to finish the shop I am putting together. Got the slab done and the kit delivered. Will be 24x30 with 10 foot walls.

That's the latest on this end.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:25 PM
pitsspecial

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi guys,

Did you end up with a few bits left over from the build? I've got a few pieces of alloy tube, and blocks of wood left over? I've not fitted the supplied tailwheel but am fitting a robart unit, looking forward to flying this, used to have a Ziroli Zero the same size.

Dave.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:22 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Ok guys. I still have mine, (Navy Ver) NIB. IV decided to sell it. it is the complete kit with retracts as sold by TBM. Anyone wanting this rare bird, give me a PM. thought I would offer it to the Decicated Zero flyers first before I enter it on the sell page. Thanks.

Roy
Hooker53
Old 11-09-2016, 03:33 AM
PSJDBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, Been a while since I've been back on here with a move of state etc.
Posting the link to a short vid of the Zero's second test flight after the move and some major repairs after a dead stick crash a few years ago.
This flight was suppose to be wheels up but I blew an airline in the wing before take off so gear down unfortunately, better on the ground than in the air.
I found the clunk stuck in the tank during the repairs so replaced the tank with a new rotoflow tank and have a new filter that also has an additional fuel bowl, and the engine hasn't missed a beat so far.
Enjoy!!, I love flying this thing once it's up and the nerves have gone, it's a bit loud but I love the sound and think it sounds like a warbird should loud and mean haha.
Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4TyupWZFLI
Old 11-09-2016, 03:02 PM
p39
My Feedback: (5)

I've had this bad boy for several years. The canopy blew apart at an event in Canada (was a lucky shot by a P-51- so that pilot says) and I was wondering if there was another canopy available that might fit? (Meister, Ziroli, etc.) Thanks.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:36 AM
PSJDBF

I got two extra canopy's from Austar models over here in Aus, you could try them.

http://www.austars-model.com/index.p...ouse&zone_id=4
Old 12-11-2016, 04:22 AM
LBJ

P39, the Ziroli canopy fits fine.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM
p39
My Feedback: (5)

Thank you!
Old 12-28-2016, 12:21 PM
John Baligrodzki

Have not checked this thread for a while! My green Zero still flying strong! Probably 30 flights this past season. After the initial de-bugging this ship has had few issues and just keeps going. Wish my other planes were like that.

John
Old 12-29-2016, 07:40 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi John , can you confirm for me the C G on your plane . There have been several different opinions as to where it is and where it should be . According to my calculations using weight distribution and measurements it should be 6 " back from the leading edge at the wing root (centerline ) or 4.5 " back from the LE at the end of the center panel . 1.5 inches ahead of the wing joiner .
Any other input that you may have is welcome . Please share ..
Thanks ,
CK
Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 PM
John Baligrodzki

CK,

Take a look a t page 27 of this thread. Info there on CG. April of this year I moved my CG to .25" in front of spar. The measuring point being where the inner panel joins the outer ones. On page 27 is the same picture as I have posted here. Back then had the CG as shown in the pic. Way back. Plane flew good. But had a great tendency to nose over on take off. At the new postiion that issue has gone away.

I think I had nearly 2 pounds of lead on the nose at the old CG. At the new one took nearly all of it off!

Regards,

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2194974  
Old 12-30-2016, 08:07 PM
John Baligrodzki

Whoops, meant to say I had it way forward. In the pick now have the CG at 5.75" on the ruler.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 AM
CK1

John , That's the input I was looking for , the fine tuning . The question I should have asked first is yours the extended nose with 93 ws or the original 91 ws ?
Thanks for reponding
Old 01-20-2017, 07:25 AM
CK1

Well after a bunch repairs (read as complete rebuild ) the Zero has flown . When I received this plane in a trade it was a diamond in the rough. The gear rails had been ripped out , the firewall was loose , the tail gear mount was loose , but it was all repairable. So new rails were glassed in . The firewall was glassed in . The tail gear and mount were reset into place .Re hinged the ailerons and elevators. The retracts were updated to electric using robart actuators . Replaced the G62 with a Walker 4.2 . Maiden went perfectly . Man this thing is awesome . It slows to a crawl for landing with full flaps . Our field is only 275 feet long and I only needed half of that to land . I think I'll keep this one for a while . Well now it's on to rebuilding the Byron Hellcat that came in the same trade .

Last edited by CK1; 01-20-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:41 AM
PSJDBF

Default Photo's

Had some professional photographers at the field on Sunday for our summer field open day event, finally got the Zero up and running again for the event and they got two nice pictures of her for me.
Some video footage taken as well but the photo's are awesome, also included a couple of my custom painted freewing A4.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:21 AM
Razmo
My Feedback: (2)

Nice to see she's still in service. Great pics. My TBM Zero is still patiently waiting for a build, lol.. I'll get to her someday I hope

Raz