Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF Corsair RCV engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF Corsair RCV engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
mistral12
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Corsair RCV engine

I have almost finished building a top flite 1/8 Corsair. I was wondering what anyone thought of a RCV 90Sp or 120SP for the engine?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: TF Corsair RCV engine

A few years ago, a guy with the handle "Juice" started a thread about his Top Flite Corsair build. I believe he used the RCV 1.20. Try a seach for thread started by him.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He used a 90SP with a custom made three blade prop hub using 18" SoloProp blades. Definately look up his thread. He may have one or two of his custom hubs left.

Scott
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Joe Lott

Mistral,

I'm breaking in a 120SP for my TF Corsair. I've run a gallon of fuel through it and so far, so good. It swings a Master Airscrew 18 x 12 2-blade @ 5500 rpm (5700 rpm in lean condition). I will be testing Juice's custom 3-blade hub with Soloprop 18" blades, if it will just warm up enough for me to do it. The hub allows one to vary the pitch for best performance.

Keep in mind that the RCV won't make for blazing fast speed, but yields 2x the torque of normal 4-strokes, while using BIG props. Juice has some videos of his Hangar 9 Corsair with a 90SP pulling it around. It looks pretty impressive with that big prop.

Some have had problems with the engines. I did much reading about them before buying, and it seems that most of the early problems encountered by some were due to improper fuel used. I'm running Omega 10%, but am going to try CoolPower 10%. RCV says that they now test their engines with fuel with synthetic oil (no caster). Others have said that the engines run much cooler with CoolPower.

The muffler that comes with the engine is junk. The back end will likely come out before you're finished breaking the engine in.[:@] I had the back of mine welded on. With my engine, vibration was pretty excessive at first but, the more I run it the smoother it gets. Stuff isn't shaking loose anymore. If you decide to buy one, be sure to put some reinforcement in the firewall.

One last thing. Don't adjust the idle screw unless you have to. I didn't, and mine idles nicely at 1300-1500 rpm. Others have, and wish they hadn't. The idle screw is pretty much right on from the factory.

If your plane will be 11lbs. or less with the engine, a 90SP should be enough to pull it around nicely. Mine is a little heavier, so I went with the 120SP. Hope this info helps.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Juice

Hello mistral12... I found and read your thread. You're doing a great job so far on your Corsair. Keep it up.

When it comes to warbirds, especially those originally powered by a radial engine, I really like RCV SP engines. I guess people know this about me. I have an RCV 90-SP that I've used on two Corsairs. My old Corsair was a TF Corsair that weighed 11-lbs, if I remember correctly. From that experience, I wish I had a the 120SP on it. Now I use the 90SP on a 10-lb H9 Corsair. This time it's a perfect match. So from my experience, if you're anywhere near 11-lbs or more, think about getting the 120SP. If you build light, think about getting the 90SP. Joe gave some excellent advice on RCV engines.

In regards to the hub that Scott mentioned... The last one for sale already has two interested buyers. But because of its high cost, some interested buyers end up not buying it. We'll see.

Here's the video I've been circulating of my H9 Corsair, with the RCV 90SP turning an 18x10 3-blade prop...
[link]http://www.vimeo.com/1918254[/link]

Juice

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71179.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1074767  
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
mistral12
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys for all your advice! I think I will probably go wirh the 120 because I bet my plane will end up greater than 10-11 lbs.
Thanks guys! Ya'll are a great resource and inspiration!