Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

How to make a break in a big Warbird Fuse ?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

How to make a break in a big Warbird Fuse ?

Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM
BigBoy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a break in a big Warbird Fuse ?

Hi Guys,

has anyone an idea, how to realize a cut off in the fuse of a 1/4 scale Seafury.

I want to take off the complete tail, offcourse as light and strong as possible.

I consider, to make it alike the connection of the wings with joiner tubes made of carbone,

but don't know, does it work???

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39349.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1075437  
Old 11-20-2008, 01:13 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to make a break in a big Warbird Fuse ?

Bernie,

There is a short thread about a 30% Skyraider: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6028566/tm.htm

Mostly just photos of the flying plane, but have included links to some other building threads. I have read some about this amazing engineering project and they used four fuselage joiner plates to make the rear section of the fuselage removable...

Hope this gives you some help...
Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think it would be possible to do like your illustration, but the real problem I see is that even 1 or 2 degrees of error in the tubes will make it impossible to ever put together or take apart...maybe a top and bottom tube, or left and right tube , with some sort of interlocking bulkheads that fit ina C type shape? definately adds some work to a project.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Use formers as in your drawing but when building the project build the entire fuse with formers and spare tubes in place. Then CUT along the proper separation line and you'll have a perfect fit and your stab will have all the correct incidences.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:42 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a mate who is excellent at making breaks in warbird fuses. Actually, it doesn't matter what type of model or even the size, He'd break it!!

Now he's not so good at putting it back together....

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM
BigBoy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Use formers as in your drawing but when building the project build the entire fuse with formers and spare tubes in place. Then CUT along the proper separation line and you'll have a perfect fit and your stab will have all the correct incidences.

Yeah Bob, that was exactly my idea. I hope it works, because at first I have to built the upper half on the building board and install the upper tubes.
After planking I can take the fuse from the board and build the lower half and plank it. Only than I can make the big cut
But foodstick is right, only 1-2° error, and I can throw the fuse away.....hope not so!
I think, to make a drilling mask with the correct distances to the center line will be a great help.

Thanks for not taking all my illusions, the result you can read here in a few weeks: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8038201

Regards

Bernie
Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

you may want to do some google searching for Dean Copelands Skyvan, he might have some pics and info out there to help you...

http://www.rcwarbirds.com/Events/Twi...ges/twins5.jpg

This plane is pretty cool He designed the biggest twin possible , that he could take off the wings, and split the fuse and haul it in a average size car.....