Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New giant scale warbird pilots. ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New giant scale warbird pilots. ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New giant scale warbird pilots. ??

I am thinking about making some giant scale warbird pilots. My wife is a well known ball jointed doll maker and she will make the originals and I will make the molds etc.
This is a sample of her work just to see how realistic they are. http://www.lumedoll.com
If anyone is interested, what scales and eras would you be interested in? I was thinking 1/5th 1/4tr and 1/3rd with helmets and goggles purchased seperately for the type and nationality of the aircraft. I am just testing the water here so let me know if you are interested.
good luck
Paul
Old 11-29-2008, 10:58 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Default RE: New giant scale warbird pilots. ??

very interesting Paul. My wife used to do porcelan dolls some
years back. Yours does great work.

would like to see what you guys come up with.

my preference, WWII 1/5 scale
Old 11-29-2008, 12:43 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

WELL IT SEEMS NO ONE MAKES A FULL FIGURED PILOT FOR 40 , 50 0R EVEN 60 SIZE WARBIRDS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE SOME KIND OF SELECTION AS APOSED TO NOTHING THAT IS AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW , I AM PUTTING TOGETHER A 120 SIZE 71" WINGSPAN ZERO FROM CMP AND A FULL FIGURE JAPANESE PILOT IS PROVING ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND , EVERYTHING I HAVE COME ACROSS IS SLIGHTLY TO BIG OR JUST REALLY TO BIG AND WRONG , WOULD BE NICE TO SEE MORE OF A VARITEY IN SIZE THEN WHAT IS AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW
Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Johnnie Red

1/5th WW2, 1/4th WW2 are the ones that only AXEL is doing in Germany. I think that this is your target market.
Very good idea ...Go on with it!!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul
My preference scales would be 1/8 , 1/5 scale Jet pilots (Flight equipment ,helmet O2 mask ,maywest)
Semper fi
Joe
Old 11-29-2008, 04:29 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would guess the most popular sizes are 1/8-1/7 1/6-1/5 and 1/4. If you make the dolls to an in between size you can normally cover two sizes except for 1/4 scale. WWII RAF, USAAF and German and Japaneese, and Axis and Allied WWI would probably sell.

That's a considerable diversity of dolls but it would cover the market pretty dang well.

Also 1/3 WWI Allied and Axis has a market too.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:15 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dragoonpvw,

I would be interested in all three scale sizes 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I am building 2 Corsairs and 1 Sopwith Pup. The pilots I got are real fake looking. Are you going to make parachutes, may wests, oxegen masks, leather helmets, and Korean War era Helmets for the Corsairs that were flown by the French Navy over Korea? If so I will be very interested. Your wife has some real talent. I love the real looking haid instead of molded plastic or rubber.

Gibbs
Corsair Kidd
Old 11-29-2008, 05:58 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1/8 scale. Not only would that work with my (giant scale ) KMP P-38, but also many of my '.60 size' warbirds as well.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:47 PM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johnnie Red

1/5th WW2, 1/4th WW2 are the ones that only AXEL is doing in Germany. I think that this is your target market.
Very good idea ...Go on with it!!

I have to agree here, the 1/7 ,market is all sorted with the BBI Dragon figures, and at a stretch, they could be used in 1/6. the biggest markets would have to be the 1/5 and 1/4, but then again apart from the 1/7 figures are are very very few REALLY GOOD pilot figures out there. In my veiw, that's the key.

Good luck, and you would be doing the scale warbird community a very big service

thanks

dave
Old 11-29-2008, 08:37 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Paul,

Your wife's work is absolutely fantastic! I have no doubt that the two of you could offer some very realistic figures for our RC aircraft. My preferences would be both 1/5th and 1/4 scale primarily American, British and German WWII.

Good Luck!!

Al
Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

I would be interested in 1\5 1\4 , and 1\3 scale allied and German pilots. Am presently looking for a 1\3 scale WW1 German pilot. Axels pilots are great but expensive.
keep us posted.

-M51
Old 11-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul,

Count me in. WWII 1/3 & 1/4 & 1/5 for sure. I like the price range for one in a basic jump suit with helmet and goggles. All the other items as add ons to keep the basic price down is a great idea. Can I order mine now?

Congratulations to your wife on the dolls and magazine article. First class all the way!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Scott
Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be great..
it's getting really hard to find good pilots... I collect the dragon blue box ..and they are getting harder and harder to come by
They also look to small in a 1/5 warbird.. they work .. but look small.. then they look huge in a 1/8
agian they work but look like an 8ft tall guy...lol

your wife does a great job.. a real artist
are they heavy?

Ron
Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

This is a great idea. I think 1/5 and 1/4 primarily American , British and German WWII.

would be a great starting point....
Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Doolittleraider

This is a great idea. I think 1/5 and 1/4 primarily American , British and German WWII.

would be a great starting point....
Dont forget the 'tropical' uniforms as well[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Great idea! Hope you go through with it.

Brad
Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
rallison

ORIGINAL: dragoonpvw

I am thinking about making some giant scale warbird pilots. My wife is a well known ball jointed doll maker and she will make the originals and I will make the molds etc.
This is a sample of her work just to see how realistic they are. http://www.lumedoll.com
If anyone is interested, what scales and eras would you be interested in? I was thinking 1/5th 1/4tr and 1/3rd with helmets and goggles purchased seperately for the type and nationality of the aircraft. I am just testing the water here so let me know if you are interested.
good luck
Paul
Have you decided whether or not to go ahead and make pilot figures? FWIW, I'm looking for 1/5 or 1/5.5 British WWI...
Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM
77chickenhawk

you would dominate the market if you made 1/8, 1/4, 1/5,1/6th scales in WWII american, british, german, dont forget the japs. nothing good at all their. at the quality we are seeing you do...I will buy them all.. They need the oxegen masks tho..along with all the other goodies
Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I build mostly 1/5 scale but I am currently building a 29% Jungmeister and would love a good pilot for it.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

I agree a totally great idea and most of us have hoped someone would do this. Other than the 1/6th stuff from Dragon and BB which are nice there is nothing to really choose from. Like was said already you could easily make one to fit a combo 1/7 & 1/8th then 1/6, 1/5, and 1/4 would be big sellers. 1/3rd scale would be a big seller for the WWI guys I am sure. Hope you decide to do this just look at a Dragon or BB pilot and if you can do that kind of detail on the gear with the quality that we see in your wifes heads that would be a great combo. Good luck to your new venture.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:04 PM
SnakeBT6
My Feedback: (3)

I didnt read the other posts, but I think it would be cool..

12" figures are 1/6th scale.. Im building a 1/5th Mustang and bought a Dragon Pilot figure when I was building the cockpit...in my opinion its way to small..alot of guys use them but I personally dont think they look right..

Im a ways off from needing a pilot but would love to see a figures made specifically for 1/5th aircraft..