RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NOSEN P-51 (not).. MY OWN GIANT PLAN BUILD

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM
All Day Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Nosen P-51 (not). MY OWN GIANT PLAN BUILD

George, Thanks for the great build thread. What kind of pushrods are you using? You mention the sleeves but not the rods or where you got them. Have you had any experience with the ballast reqirements for this design? Thanks agin, Dan.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan, I have been using Great Planes 4/40 48" steel pushrods from Tower Hobbies, they come in a package of two rods, one end threaded for a clevis, and come with two very hard plastic sleeves. I use this set up on all my big warbirds and have never had problem with flutter or slop, I brace them in at least two or three locations by running the sleeves through holes on a former, as for the balance on these planes (this is my 5th on this particular plane) I like using the spring Quadra 100 if I can find one, they are heavy but the balance comes almost right on with just few ounces of lead in the cowl, besides the heavy weight and mass on this engine helps absorb and dissapate the heat in the enclosed cowl without heating up, George.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 PM
easyschnucki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks a lot for the shots.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay Mr. How Much does it Cost?. Boys and girls we well keep the Math class short. At this point I have $200 for wood and glue in each plane. The 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and 1/2" balsa bundles are from Tower Hobbies, thier balsa is medium/hard wood which is good for this kind of project and makes for a strong airplane. The Plywood is bought elsewhere.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WINGS;

I am stacking 3/16" balsa for ribs w1-w6 and ww9, remainder is 1/8" balsa. I well cut the retract rib doublers from 1/8" hard ply. I cut the template from the parts outline and pin and paste it with a glue stick to the balsa , than to the band saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78903.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1106282  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
DENTO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G-DAY George
Watching with great interest, Mate you guys are an asset to a lot of us out here specially to someone who has not built a plane in 35 years, Mind you I do have a stinson SR9 on the table at present THAT IS THE first one in that time, Also I do have a Don smith P51 112 IN is getting cut in the usa and can,t wait for it to turn up so shall annoy the hell out of you then, Your Nosen plan is it still avalible seems to be where I realy should be starting looks pretty strait forward, for an old fart like me.
REGARDS John
from AUSSIE
Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John, Very Nice to hear from someone on the other side of the globe, good to hear you are building again after a little break, this has got to be the best hobbie, with all the different airplanes to build, as you can see in my RCU gallery I am doing my best to build as many as I can. I have built a few P51's before this venture I have going on the RCU thread, you know the P-51 all fly great, but I got to say this one builds easy and flys just a little better, be looking to see your projects posted in the future and good luck, p.s. you can go into warbird classified any time and buy the plans, don't know how much shipping well be, George.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It did not take long to cut the ribs for the two wings on a band saw, I paid about a $150 for it at Home Depot, the saw payed for itself on the first set of ribs and formers I cut on it. A short kit on a big plane like this is about $375-$450. I have got them numbered and ready to lay out the wing tube holes and servo lead holes, it is a pain if you forget the holes like I have on occaision. I got the holes saw set on sale at Harbor freight for less than $10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zw69459.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1106840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96209.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1106841  
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Baldeagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is the only way to fly. I have a Craftsman 80 bandsaw for years with an angle adj top. that comes in handy once in a while. I use it almost every day. I never built a lasor cut kit. If the parts don't fit it is my fault.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rich, I am the same way, I want my parts to fit the way I want, and the wood to be of my choice, not what someone sells me in a overpriced kit, George.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am using a short peice of spar stick to keep the ribs in line as I drill the wing tube socket and servo lead holes using a hole saw, I ordered 1.25 inch x 36 inch heavy wall wing tube and socket from TNT Landing gear, looks like I well take a break tell it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ca82316.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1109985  
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
All Day Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi George, What is the model number of that Ryobi bandsaw and what type of blade are you using for the balsa wood cuts? Thanks a lot for the great build thread. Dan.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan I am using a Ryobi 9 inch band saw # BS900 I bought couple years back, I am using a 1/4inch wide blade about 6 teeth per inch on the balsa and ply. It seems like about a year ago no matter where I buy them probably now inported, they do not cut as smooth and they tend to rip a little on the backside, anyways still better than hand cutting, george.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
DENTO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey George
If you can find a saw sharpener they do have rolls of blade (some do) and shall make what size you need,I use our guy here for our,s BUT just a tad to far away for you.
REGARDS JOHN
Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 PM
All Day Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got it. Thanks again. Dan.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For all the building I do, I found it more convienient to cut my own spars, I go to the lumber store and find 1"x4"x7' spruce or pine with nice grain and no knots, than set my circular table saw fence in this case for 5/16" and 3/8" and run the wood through and end up with long spar stocks. I have a table sander but it is rare that I well sand the saw marks off of the spars, I have found that is not nessary, using a sharp carbide tip conbination blade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nl28575.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1110653  
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With the spars and ribs ready for assembly, I cover the LEFT plan with clear plastic and to compensate for variations in the parts or plans I pin down the front spar only, than tweak the notches and fit the ribs, than pin down the back spar, it does not have to be perfect but close, nothing is glued yet. I have the 1/8" ply wing brace W22 slotted 1.5" to slide over the ribs, ribs W1,2,3,4 sloted to 1.5" from the bottom.

Ribs W4,5,6, have 1/8" ply doublers epoxied on. Iam going to start from W1,2,3,4, I set them on the spars and slide W22 over them to check fit than glue items together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj23950.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1110658  
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have epoxied ribs W1,2,3,4, to front and back spars, before it sets I apply epoxy and slide brace W22 over the ribs and alinge and pin them down. ( If you work with 6 Minute epoxy as I like to do, you need to work quick) I have cut rail notches on ribs W4,5,6 for the 5/8" sq. rail stock so the rail is 5/8" below rib surface, I can add shim on the rail latter if I want to mount the retracts closer to the wing surface. I am not concerned with making the ribs light since much of the ribs well be cut out for retracts and wheel clearance, I would like to keep the center area strong as possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ig11740.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1110667  
Old 01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have ribs W1,2,3,4,5,6 glued in, before I go any further I want a three peice wing, so I have placed on the spars ribs W10 and two 3/16" ww9 ribs which is the seperation point, I have 3/8" thick dowl reinforcement blocks glued to the ww9 ribs at front and back. I have placed a peice of scrap behind W10 rib to keep it from splintering as I drill a 5/16" holes through ww9 and W10 ribs for front and rear alingement dowels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Da83606.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1110766  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the two 9" peice wing sockets in place so I well complete the instalation of ribs and leading and trailing edges, it is a good idea to cut the ribs at least 1/16" longer at front and back to leave some stock to sand even for the l.e. and t.e.... I well be tweaking my plans and parts as I proceed the build as well...
p.s. I well have one of my current P-51's which flew at Muncie RTF minus gas and radio with a new Q100 and robart retracts up for sale at $3k picked up, George.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mk25077.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1111366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72652.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1111367  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1.....The left wing half is nearly complete on the framing and is relativle ridgid with rear t.e and front l.e. , the outer wing panel has been seperated at WW9, I have layed up the right wing half bottom spars as before and added ribs W5,6,7,8,9,(ww9 & tube) 10,11,12,13,14,15,16.

2..... Now Ribs W1,2,3 are set on the spars and W22 brace on the left wing panel is slid down over the right wing ribs to check for fit, if the fit is good I spread epoxy at the root of W22 and the spars ends along with other spots on left W1 rib and glue the right half W1 rib on to the left W1.

3.....Epoxy is spread on the spars and W22 brace where they well contact the ribs,,,, ribs W,2,3 are placed on the spars and the left wing with W22 is slid over the right ribs W,,2,3, I have used a quart can to hold up the left wing panel at a angle set by W22 brace, this sets the wing diahedral, the assembly is clamped as needed and set to cure, than W4 is glued in place, remainder of braces, edges, rails and wing tip well be installed also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ur52185.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1111664  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Baldeagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

George What do you use to keep the wing tip from sliding out of the tube? Thanks Rich
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I place 1/2" blocks at the end of the tubes,,,, and place a 1" square hard wood block on top of the wing tube at W8 and W11, after final sheeting and sanding for fit I well drill a hole through this block into the tube and run a #8 sheet metal screw to hold the wing from pulling out, you can place the hole from the bottom as well but for me it is more conveinient in the top.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:32 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trial fit of framed wing to the fuselage, looks good, don't see anything wrong. I may start sheeting wing top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ec87310.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1112723  
Old 01-18-2009, 04:35 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have got the wing back on the table, I think I have everything it needs mounted. I decided to start sheeting at the top outer panels,,, I don't show washout on the plans but it never hurts,,, I layed a 1/8" thick ruler on a diagnal starting at the trailing edge at rib W13 and the rear spar at W16 before sheeting,,, I have a hole drilled for the outer wing screw.... Next I start with the sheeting on the main wing from the back, I selected a hard edge balsa and placed it to overhang the trailing edge by 3/4", which well go over the front leading edge radius of the flap, 1/8" overhang at airleron area... I have before hand used the trailing edge of the wing as a guide to cut the airleron and flap leading edge at proper hight and also drilled 3/16" hinge pin holes,,, than cut out flap and airleron outline on 1/8" balsa and glued the edges and ribs, added 1/8" ply hard point for control horn and sheeted with balsa to make the flaps and airlerons...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fd92078.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1113709  

Search this Thread