Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Electric Motors on Warbirds?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Electric Motors on Warbirds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Electric Motors on Warbirds?

Here's a video of my friend Don's GS TF P-51 that's electrc vs. the DA 50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1s5UPZZY4
The electric is faster than the DA 50, Sounds better in the air in my opion, cleaner, no vibration, no hole in the cowl

I the DA is a great settup but sounds like a weedwacker to me

I gave up all gas plane three years ago and would never go back.. I love my electrics

I'm one of those guys you hate ,building a scale warbird that's electric. I don't hate you for flying gas,in fact I could care less what you do.

As far as jets sounding as close to a jet ..electrics do sound better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCcnAsBUCFw

If it wasn't for all the glow and gas planes making that noise you may be able to hear it...lol

what a lame thread to start

Ron
Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 AM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron101
As far as jets sounding as close to a jet ..electrics do sound better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCcnAsBUCFw
i thought that the real turbine jets sound a heck of a lot closer to the real thing than ducted fans do?
maybe I'm mistaken but compare the two:
turbine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52CVrcCydig
ducted fan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCcnAsBUCFw

tahustvedt -that audio system sounds pretty neat.
now imagine an audio system on Ron's jet above that you could toggle between 2 sounds - one regular and one with the crackle sound you get with afterburners. that would be kewl.

skymule - what kind of plane do you actually fly?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Turbines sound like turbines, no question about that but...
You guys that think a gas powered model sounds more scale than a big electric scale model are just SO far out of it. Flat earth society and that guys.
Big E scale models, swinging big props sound just F'ing marvelous. Put with that a sound generator and Oh my god... words can't explain! Scary real!!!
So, so much better than a gas engine as that DA50 power 'stang vid' demonstrates. What a totally UN-SCALE sound. And...and this is important... WAY to loud compared to it's "scale position" in the sky.
The only gas planes I've come across that really start pulling off the sound thing are those powered by big Moki radials swinging big props and even then... the bigger the moki the better the sound.
Having said that, they still don't sound "scale"... they sound real good but are way to loud compared to the scale position.

The key to great sound is the prop. Hear a Merlin being run up static and then hear one with a prop. The difference, the sound we're after is the latter. PROP sound.
You'll only get that with a quiet engine and a BIG prop.
Electric power pulls this of far better than even a Moki. All you miss is that piston popping secondary sound easily supplied by a decent sound generator.
Don't get me wrong I love my piston powered flight but you folks believing its better, sounds more scale and realistic than a proper equipped E scale are just holding on in vain hope.
Like the folks that believed the LP record would never be bettered by digital.
It's over boys.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 PM
sky_mule

"It's over boys. "

poppeycock!

let's see your electric engines do this in a full scale plane:
http://www.vimeo.com/1837013

and let's see your electric motors power a full scale 747 jumbo jet and deliver the required power to weight. ever hear of synthetic fuel? electricity is best used to power synthetic fuel manufacturing, not weight down the aircraft with a few kilotons of battery cells that would render the aircraft unable to fly yet, able to burst it's tires from the sheer weight.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There isn't an "E" in poppycock.

A
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: sky_mule
.....................poppeycock!.................. .....
ORIGINAL: a65l

Obviously, sky_mule is "E" challenged.

BTW: I thought the subject was about radio control warbirds ( wasn't the H-9 B-25 mentioned? ), so what does a "full scale 747 jumbo jet" have to do with anything? Does anyone seriously think a full scale 747 would fly much better with a bunch of glorified weedacker engines and 2 stroke oil mixed with gasoline?.

Sounds like a Blagojevich to me: when you are so wrong and so obvious, deny, deny, deny, and attempt to shift the focus to a subject which has nothing to do with the original subject.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:49 PM
sky_mule

ORIGINAL: a65l

A
Very good, little grammEr boy.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:29 PM
sky_mule

Mr Jack,

"Warbirds need to be LOUD powered by GAS engines just like the real ones were. "

You DID read that line in the opening post, yes?

In that most awesome video up above with flames shooting out of the pipes, that's what warbird models ought to strive for.
That means an engine with a piston and NOT a bunch of copper spools rotating around a magnet that sound like an off kilter whirleybird.
And yes, those wEEdwhackEr sounding 2cycles sound like crap with a capital E.

Contrary to what some of the electric folks here have claimed, sure, electrics are popular, but they are FAR from taking over like they seem to imply in their postings.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sky_mule

Mr Jack,

"Warbirds need to be LOUD powered by GAS engines just like the real ones were. "
Your opinion only.
What do you say to those that have both...aka warbirds with electric and warbirds with glow motors(which..actually sound 100% better then your 2 stroke GAS wEEdwackEr your so fond of)
original: sky_mule
And yes, those wEEdwhackEr sounding 2cycles sound like crap with a capital E.
Seems you cant get your story straight. Unless you have the cash to buy a Moki 5 cyl radial which is a GAS powered 4 stroke, then you have no basis in your argument. Saito makes a 220 size using gas...called the FG36. Do you own one? Show us a picture then if you do...otherwise your just spouting hot air and cant make room for anybody's opinion but yours.
original: sky-mule

Contrary to some of the electric folks who came marching in here with their horns and hardons, electrics are popular, but they are FAR from taking over like they seem to imply in their wishful thinking.
Your head is in the clouds. No one stated electrics are takening over. They are a viable option and a lot of people like them. If you dont' so what. There's a guy on rcgroups doing up a H9 Spitfire as an electric, but he's also putting in a sound system to put off the sound of the real Merlin. So...it'll sound better then your crappy 2 stroke. What do you say that? Oh...its not internal combustion so its wrong?

Corsair-Nut is absolutely right. Your so wrong about the entire argument, you simply are trying to deflect the subject to something else. Oh..and BTW....yes full scale planes have been flown using electrics. Now..a 747? What moron would actually try to make a comparison using that airframe?? I mean come on.
Back to reality, this is an R/C forum, not a full scale forum. Maybe you need a reminder.

And another note.....no gas engine can swing a scale size prop for a relative airframe until you get up to the moki 5 cyl size motors...let alone a 3 or 4 blade. Yet, an electric can quite easily at most size ranges from little parkflyers to bigger then giant scale super scale planes.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tahustvedt

I'm sorry, but taking offense when someone else builds RC models with electrics is just bigotry.

These are my 1/6 scale electrics. You think they whine? The P-40 has a 21" three blade scale propeller and the Spitfire has a five blade 19" scale(ish) propeller and a sound system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ9MQ...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnLy6...e=channel_page

Electrics can whine if the motor isn't isolated well enough from the airframe with rubber mounts. My P-40 whines a little at idle, but a sound system and some different rubber hardness will cure the whine and make it sound better than any model engine.

I agree, IC engines with four or more cylinders are very cool and sound awesome at idle to low throttle, but they don't sound right at high power levels. Still awesome to see them in action and very respectable. If someone wants to use a single cylinder engine then that's respectable as well.

There's a hell of a lot of ignorance about electrics here on RCU. I often see people bash electric setups beacuse of their own ignorant prejudice.

That Spitfire is AWESOME !!! The sound is KILLER!!! NOW THAT'S WHAT A SCALE WARBIRD SHOULD BE !!!

That blows away anything any gas engine can do!!

Does your sound system simulate an engine startup and shutdown? What type of speakers do you use? What is your all up weight and wingspan?
It also deals with one of the things that I never get. Why do people put up with those teeny tiny girly two blade props? Oh yea, that's all that nearly all the gas engines can handle!

AWESOME!!!

Scott
Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 PM
kahloq

Oh and here's a thread about an electric converted Kyosho 90 Spitfire being outfitted with sound system:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989034
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm doing a TF gaint scale P-51 right now
I've been looking were to put the speakers and really like the wing idea... I'm going to take a real good look and see were I can fit them in
I'll have to order the system and see where I can stuff it
good thing about the wing is it won't affect the CG much.. nice idea

Ron
Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 PM
The Ghost

I've been doing a Byron F-16 Electric and it will be a lot cleaner than orignal. No worries about tuning or a lean run either, and as far as noise it sounds good as it is. I have flowen Gas, Glow, Kero burners and electric and as far as sound go's only the Kero burners sound like the real thing, But with the noise restrictions I will stick with electric and keep the flying site.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50999.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1122853  
Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

My buddy and I flew our turbine Facet 2300's today. We have to fly our turbine and gas powered models during the week, as on the weekend the neighbors have complained about the gas and turbine powered model's noise. So, the club has banned the their operation on the weekends. I have a KMP Tigercat and a 81" OV-10 Bronco that will be electric powered so I can fly them any time without restriction..
Old 01-31-2009, 01:40 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: dhal22

Thank you!! great post but i will take it one step further. why do builders craft such magnificent warbirds and then power them with single cylinder engines. especially a model of a radial powered plane. 1 time is all it took; while attending a warbird flyin a radial powered 109 kept doing 135+ mph low flybys and i was hooked. nothing and i mean nothing sounds like a radial powered warbird. i would be embarrassed to fly my one cylinder warbird following that radial plane. no comparison.
Simple answer - money. Some of us don't have as much of it to splash around as you seem to, but still want to fly scale warbirds. If it's that important to you buy me a radial and I'll put it in a warbird, just to make you happy.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: saramos

ORIGINAL: tahustvedt

I'm sorry, but taking offense when someone else builds RC models with electrics is just bigotry.

These are my 1/6 scale electrics. You think they whine? The P-40 has a 21" three blade scale propeller and the Spitfire has a five blade 19" scale(ish) propeller and a sound system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ9MQ...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnLy6...e=channel_page

Electrics can whine if the motor isn't isolated well enough from the airframe with rubber mounts. My P-40 whines a little at idle, but a sound system and some different rubber hardness will cure the whine and make it sound better than any model engine.

I agree, IC engines with four or more cylinders are very cool and sound awesome at idle to low throttle, but they don't sound right at high power levels. Still awesome to see them in action and very respectable. If someone wants to use a single cylinder engine then that's respectable as well.

There's a hell of a lot of ignorance about electrics here on RCU. I often see people bash electric setups beacuse of their own ignorant prejudice.

That Spitfire is AWESOME !!! The sound is KILLER!!! NOW THAT'S WHAT A SCALE WARBIRD SHOULD BE !!!

Does your sound system simulate an engine startup and shutdown? What type of speakers do you use? What is your all up weight and wingspan?
It also deals with one of the things that I never get. Why do people put up with those teeny tiny girly two blade props? Oh yea, that's all that nearly all the gas engines can handle!

AWESOME!!!

Scott
All he needs now is an exhaust simulator.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Sandmann_AU
All he needs now is an exhaust simulator.
In case you missed it, an earlier post has a video of an electric powered, giant scale P-47 with sound system AND smoke system:

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock
.......Link to Electric Powered Giant Scale Hangar 9 P-47 with Built In Sound System (AND Smoke System):
http://media.putfile.com/81H9-P-47-w...-Middle-Wallop

More realistic sounding than any fuel powered model............................................
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 AM
Sandmann_AU

I did miss that... impressive really, all that technology to emulate an internal combustion engine. Soon we'll start hearing at our local field "Wow, there's nothing like the sound of a twin electric motor".
Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM
tahustvedt

ORIGINAL: saramos

AWESOME!!!

Scott
The sound system has various sounds that emulate the starting, idling, acceleration, high speed, and stopping sounds from a full size Rolls Royce Griffon engine, with smooth transisions between them. The sound system weighed ~600 g, so the total all up weight of the plane with the scale power system and sound system was 6600 g. It's an ESM Spitfire XIV which has a wingspan of 71". The two 4" speakers are mounted in the radiator housings under the wings.

I develop my own power systems and propellers if necessary. It's so cool to swing big props. The large diameter, high pitch props sound awesome. I plan to make a constant speed propeller. That will sound incredible in flight as the propeller will not unload with speed.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Lol , oh come on "cant we all get along" ??? lets see , another day on RCU -if its not scratch builders vs Kit builders vs ARfs , or thin airfoil arfs vs thick airfoil arfs now its e-flight vs glow lol .. Ok this site is probably 99% posted by men at leaste I tought it was , and we continue to banter like women lol .
Remember its all a hobby , its all good and the so called experts at anything quoting me "experts are those who have stopped learning " !!! just want to banter
I enjoy glow , just started with gas , and fly e-flight on my smaller warbirds only because I am too stupid to understand e-flight for my larger birds at this time .
However with everyday that passes , technology opens new doors , just look at the 2.4 revolution who would have thought ???
I think this entire post would have been much more benificial if it started with warbirds and e-power why ?? can anyone explane and elaborate on the cost and convience for me powering my next project yada-yada -yada this way we can learn vs compete .
Trust me , I am guilty of all of the above [X(], been in so many stupid battles with scratch builders vs arfs , that in the end is so pointless because we all end up at the same field and enjoy the hobby .[&:]
Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: LDM
..........................I think this entire post would have been much more benificial if it started with warbirds and e-power why ?? can anyone explane and elaborate on the cost and convience for me powering my next project yada-yada -yada this way we can learn vs compete .........................
But it didn't. The 'can't we all get along' anthem was drowned out in the 1st post, when mule_head came in both both guns blasting electric powered warbirds, and the people who build/ fly them. And just when this thread was all but dead,mule_head chirped in again to stir the pot some more ( maybe he likes all the negative attention? ).

I think most of us here don't consider this an 'electric vs. fuel power' argument, since and many (including myself) have warbirds powered by both types. We ( proponenants of electric power ) were attacked, and are merely defending ourselves, while attempting to educate the un-educatable.

If you WOULD like to learn more about electric powered warbirds ( than is already posted in this one ), perhaps you could start a thread with your suggestions for opening statements.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Good idea , because I do , I think e-flight is going to get better and better !!! In some warbirds that are so in dire need of nose weight like the Fw190 , the seafurys ect , an eflight desing from the ground is even more appropriate .
My problem with-ewarbirds at this time is tha unless its the motor , speed contraol and battery are suggested , I really dont know how to match them .
Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I really don't care about the type of power that is used. For me, it's a question of what achieves my goals. My main area of interest is scale. The closer to scale I can get, the better. None of the power systems sound scale, so sound is lower on my list of determining the type of power. For me, being fully cowled, and turning as close to a scale prop, while still providing enough power to perform scale maneuvers is what interests me. There are only 3 reasonable methods that I've found that can meet my goals.

For 60 size planes, there's the RCV SP series, internally geared 4 stroke glow engines. These turn much larger props than other comparable displacement engines. I have a 90SP in my TF Spitfire that turns a 15.5" 4 blade. While still not scale, it's closer than any other glow. Plus, with it's unique design, it fits almost fully inside the cowl, requiring holes for the needle valve, and for the throttle linkage. But, being fully cowled, heat is an issue that must be overcome. In my case, I use an electric ducted fan for cooling. It's complicated, and fussy.

For larger warbirds, you can try and find, or build your own reduction gear system for gas engines. The challenges are that no one produces a line of gear reduction systems for a variety of engines. There may not be anyone producing commercially available units at this time. Secondly, most gas engines by themselves will fully fit inside a cowl, let alone with a reduction gear system attached.

The other choice is electric. They sound different, but they offer a lot of advantages for scale warbirds. You can find motors that will work in almost any size warbird you want. Fitting fully inside a cowl will seldom be a problem.It's possible to find setups that will turn props much closer to scale. You don't have to worry about fuel proofing your paint scheme. The other big benefit, especially with twins, is greater reliability. The drawbacks that I see are cost flight time and charging turn around.

Scott

Old 01-31-2009, 06:57 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

LOL LOL he said mule head !
Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
But it didn't. The 'can't we all get along' anthem was drowned out in the 1st post, when mule_head came in both both guns blasting electric powered warbirds, and the people who build/ fly them. And just when this thread was all but dead,mule_head chirped in again to stir the pot some more ( maybe he likes all the negative attention? ).

I think most of us here don't consider this an 'electric vs. fuel power' argument, since and many (including myself) have warbirds powered by both types. We ( proponenants of electric power ) were attacked, and are merely defending ourselves, while attempting to educate the un-educatable.

If you WOULD like to learn more about electric powered warbirds ( than is already posted in this one ), perhaps you could start a thread with your suggestions for opening statements.
[/quote]

Give the guy a break, he's just trying to bump his post count up into the double digits.....

A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.