Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New KMP Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
jmohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New KMP Hurricane

Check ouf the new Hurricane from KMP. It's an 80" wingspane plane setup for a 35 cc motor. It looks awsome!

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33283.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	1110054  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New KMP Hurricane

Looks like they've also posted a Douglas Dauntless (72" W/S) on the KMP website.

The KMP website lists the following specs for the Hurricane:

Hawker Hurricane $549.95 (add $200 for Gen V retracts)

Specifications

Wingspan: 82"
Length: 63"
Wing area: 965 sq.in
Flight weight: 16 lbs
Radio: 6ch & 8servos
Engine: 1.80 4 - cycle or 26cc gas
Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 PM
jmohn

It's going to be such a good plane! I already told Andrew I want one!

Jeff
Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
jmohn

I think it's another candidate for any electric conversion I have a few of KMP's planes and they all have been good electric conversion projects. My Bearcat came in heavy, but is a nice flyer. It flys and lands like a jet. The Hurricane should be a good one for adding some extra scale work to (cockpit) and other things to make it a real beauty, not that is not already

KMP is really stepping up their game and coming up with some fantastic planes!

Jeff
Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM
alanc

we have been advised that we have the colour scheme wrong, and one half the hurricane, which is in Stamfords Tucks colours, should be black, personally, i prefer it one colour, hope you guys are ok with this, or you will have to be out with the spray gun, !!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
jmohn

I like the sky too! It sure is nice to see a good size plane like the Hurricane coming from KMP. Andrew has been working hard on some great new planes lately. I can't wait to hear about his other new projects when he gets back from his trip!

Jeff
Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
alanc

now THAT would be telling, but, for a hint, we may have a change of national emblems once the 110 is done and dusted [8D]
Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
jmohn

Alan, I have an Me-110 on order, now a Hurricane what's next I may not be able to show up around home after Andrew finishes bringing out his new planes. Now I see why he got into this business. He can make all the planes he wants and not buy them

Jeff
Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
jmohn

Here's a photo of the original plane and one of an artists painting. What "black" are you talking about? Are you talking abou the spinner?

Jeff

Name:	Yw67863.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1110707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70483.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1110708  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

I will be building the KMP B25 for a customer, and will put together the new Skyraider and Cirrus for my self as soon as it gets here. I plan on using a 26 cc gas engine in both. The Cirrus has a 87" wingspan and is supposed to weigh only 13 pounds. I will do a build along for them if anyone is interested. The B25 will have two Fuji 24s. The bomber also comes with a Dynamic Balsa interrior kit. Has anyone else constructed either of thses models. I believe they are all fairly new to the market.
Regards,
Gary Webb
Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
jmohn

Wow, nice builds coming up! I haven't built either, but did help with a TF B25 build. The Cirus is reall nice looking and should be a good flyer too. I have a freind the owns a full size one and it's fun to fly
Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmohn

Here's a photo of the original plane and one of an artists painting. What "black" are you talking about? Are you talking abou the spinner?

Jeff

Jeff, the painting appears to be incorrect as well. If you look closely at the pic you will see the the underside of the port wing is black. (notice the gear door) It should look like the pic below.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Interesting.

However, the model appears to also be missing the kill marks near the cockpit and also has red rectagles painted around the gun openings. Maybe the aircraft had a different wartime scheme on it than the museum version???

In any case, it is nice to see the larger size from KMP. Hopefully, they will also have a larger birdcage P-51B/C in a nice O.D. scheme in the near future.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM
jmohn

I am fine with the lighter underside color. I like it much better than the black. The early model Hurricanes were not black so maybe that's what they were working off. Either way it's a great looking model! I also would love a larger P-51 B/C or a Yak or P-40 or something different to fly around.

I have a Sig P-51B and it's by far the best model I have ever flown. I am at 44 hours flight time on this plane and haven't had one problem yet. It's not as nicely scaled as the KMP models, but a great flier.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

P51-B, The gun ports are not painted red. This is Red tape applied after the guns had been serviced and ready for flight. Being in England there is always alot of moisture in the air and the tape keep the moisture from getting into the gun barrels while sitting on the ground or while taking off and then going to altitude and freezing inside the gun barrels causing serious problems when the gun is fired. The US gun crews on the B25 and A-20s used to put condoms over the forward racing barrels for the same reason. Had one of the B-25 crews tell me this at the National museum of the US Air Force that I do volunteer work at. The people I have meet over the years doing this is a warbird lovers dream come true. All their stories are awesome.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: gary9648

P51-B, The gun ports are not painted red. This is Red tape applied after the guns had been serviced and ready for flight. Being in England there is always alot of moisture in the air and the tape keep the moisture from getting into the gun barrels while sitting on the ground or while taking off and then going to altitude and freezing inside the gun barrels causing serious problems when the gun is fired. The US gun crews on the B25 and A-20s used to put condoms over the forward racing barrels for the same reason. Had one of the B-25 crews tell me this at the National museum of the US Air Force that I do volunteer work at. The people I have meet over the years doing this is a warbird lovers dream come true. All their stories are awesome.

I was talking about the model as shown in the photo in the first post. It has a red rectangle around the gun port area as opposed to the full scale photo which has the the tape you are referring too.

I was questioning why the model has the red rectangle painted on it in that area, not what the tape on the full scale is for.

Must be fun to volunteer at the museum!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
alanc

the full size shows 4 painted areas, the full size is incorrect, it should be 1 strip, as the model, but possibly a tad smaller, on the full size, it was self adhesive tape, done to protect the guns before firing,
Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
P-51B

Gotcha! (and thanks for the info)

No biggie either way, just a curiousity I noticed after the photo of the full scale was posted in reference to the underside colour.

Cheers.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
rjkpic

If you like the paint scheme don't worry about the authenticity or comparison between a painting. From 1939 till April 15 1941, the RAF changed the scheme numerous times. 1939 till the summer of 1940 most hurricanes had port wings painted black, starboard wings painted white with the remainder painted silver and no underwing roundrels. After May 15, 1940, the paint was all black on the port side, all white on the starboard divided down the longitudinal axis with underwing roundrels. After June 6, 1940 the entire undersides where ordered painted Sky in the field. In November 1940 the RAF issued painting instructions for Sky underneath except for the port wing which was to be painted black. Then in on April 22,1941 they issued instructions to paint the undersides all Sky and changed the roundrels to the smaller 45 inch size from the previos 50 inch size and introduced the duck egg fuselage band. Now because this was a rather hectic time with many sorties being flown, many squadrons interpretted these orders differently and many airframes were in varios stages of paint change over at any given time. So unless you have an actual dated photo for a specific time period you want to model, there really isn't one color scheme that is right during this period. Additionally, there were two color schemes for the upper camo, an A and a B scheme. Hawker didn't adhere to the odd even serial matchup of the A and B scheme as stringently as Supermarine but here too, you have to have an actual photo to determine if the A or B scheme matched the serial. So you are all kinda right, it just depends on what month you want to model your aircraft after.

BOB fan
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
rjkpic

Red Tape covering guns,

Don't remeber hearing anything about moisture protection of the gun barrels. During the summer of 1940, they wouldn't have had much oppurtunity to collect rust. Sounds like it could have been an additional reason for the tape but I would think the cannon of this period would have been similiarly effected and I don't recall seeing them taped or covered. 8 gaping wholes in the wing created a tremedous amount of parasitic drag. Since you typically see the red tape on intercepters or fighters, the tape signifcantly improved TAS until the guns were fired. If my memory is correct, I think I read some where in the neighborhood of 5 to 7 mph increase with taped gun openings.

BOB fan
Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
PSJDBF

Certainly going to be my next project ,it looks great!!.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
K 5054

Could you tell me if the wing is fully sheeted because it does not look like the bottom of the wing is sheeted in the pic on RCMF.

Thanks

Name:	Xv62963.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1148942  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
lqr model

Hi K5054,

It is really looks not same as the pic on RCMF,but i think it is good.
Can you please let me know where you get this Hurricane?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

According to KMP's web site the wing is covered with a special covering. They don't say if its open bay or fully sheeted.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 AM
K 5054

It does look like the top of the wing is fully sheeted. look at the top wing in the pic of the bottom view and I think you can see the outline of caps on the ribs.

Name:	Bz79432.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1149198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69253.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1149199  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.