Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Skyraider build along

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Skyraider build along

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 AM
heyerflyer
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Skyraider build along

Thanks for all the info. I can't seem to find the 26 gt on horizon website. What is the difference between the GT26 and the GX 26and is the GT still available?Also how do you like your motor? Would you recommend it now since i am sure you have had some time on this motor. Thanks Steve
Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it has been a long time since I last posted something here concerning the Skyraider. I flew it for the first time Sunday. This bird flies like it is on rails, no bad habits and when the flaps were deployed to 45 degrees, all the plane did was slow down! It did not need any mixing with elevator to stop pitch up or down with flaps. Landings are uneventful. Just drop the gear and flaps, hold a little throttle and it will do a perfect wheel landing. It is a floator even with flaps. I know all of you are going to say where is the video, but alas no vedio recorder was present and my faithful photographer was not present. Just a couple of my club members on Sunday morning. I wanted to fly it with no one around. Lets me concentrate on the model than answering questions. I did find a problem with the retracts. The antirotation screws that also hold the upper and lower struts together was not locktited from the factoy and one came out allowing the wheel to rotate 90 drgrees to the flight path with the resulting flip on its back on take off. After retrieveing the strut spring and making a new screw and locktiting it, the take offs are straight and require little rudder. It amazing what you can do when both wheels are facing the same direction. LOL
In closing, I would reccomend this plane to anyone with low wing sport plane and tail dragger experience. Also this was the first plane I own to be flown with the new 2.4 radio and the link as any who have used this knows was excellent.It is hardto teacvh old dogs new tricks.I used the low rates for all my manuvers except takeoff and landings, I used the high rate on the elevator only. Did not want any supprises with runnuing out of elevator at slow speeds.Did not happen.This bird does beautiful military rolls.
Good Day,
Gary Webbg+
Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 AM
gary9648

Steve, The GT is the older version of this engine. The newer one (GX) has a slanted spark plug vs the straight one on mine. The Evo pulls the plane very well. Any good 26 cc gas engine should do very well. KMPnow has a new line of engines (RCGF) and has a neat looking rear induction 26cc gas with reed valve induction. I have installed them on the B-25 and we have run the crap out of them on the bench and they perform very well. Still in the building stage on the B-25, should be done in a week or two.
Gary
Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
TEBerg

Thanks for the update Gary.

I hope my Global Skyraider behaves as well as your KMP did.
I was thinking about mixing in a little down elevator with full flaps to start off.However, after reading your review, I will leave that for after I try the flaps in the air.