Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

RC Report: Latest Victim of the Economy (R.I.P.)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

RC Report: Latest Victim of the Economy (R.I.P.)

Old 01-29-2009, 08:19 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RC Report: Latest Victim of the Economy (R.I.P.)

Just recieved my March, 2009 copy of RC REPORT, with the banners: "OUR FINAL AND "FAREWELL" ISSUE" and "So long, friends, and thanks for the ride."
Inside, Gordon Banks sites the loss of revenue from advertisers: seems the R/C companies are having a pretty tough time and are either scaling back advertising OR stopping it altogether. It seems that we modelers have substantially reduced out R/C related spending these past few months, and the industry is suffering as a result.

I've been a subscriber of RC REPORT from day 1, way back when it was just a newspaper in a brown bag. These last few years, I had just 2 subscriptions to R/C related magazines: Model Aviation (AMA) and RC REPORT.

Really sad to see this one go, and they probably have about as good a chance for a bailout as Larry Flynt and Hustler magazine.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RC Report: Latest Victim of the Economy (R.I.P.)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8363338/tm.htm
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The printed word is now becoming a thing of the past. The Internet has now become the most effective way to disseminate information. As technology evolves it replaces many of the things that we once thought would never go away. The local newspapers will probably cease to operate the way they do now. I once was a subscriber to many magazines, including RC Report, which always liked it, as I felt it was the least bias of all the RC Magazines. Hopefully, they'll be able to grow a web-site that will be of the quality that the magazine was.

I don't know about you guys, but I get all my information form web sites like RCU and others.

RC Report had a good run and was a fine magazine.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I to had hear a while back that this was comming but felt that it was not for me to tell. I too have been a loyal fan of RCR and am glad to call Gordon friend along with Dick Petit. I will miss the crazy engine guy from down under and Tony Stillmans radio clinic. Also the the great true and unbiased product reports. Thanks to all the writers over the years for putting together what I believe to be the best informative magazine on RC aircraft. I will truly miss it.
Gary Webb
Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

RC Report was a class act and I appreciated the honesty of their reviews and the overall integrity of the operation. I enjoyed the old RCM magazine, and I had sent in a 2 year renewal and the week they cashed the check was the same week they folded. The family never responded to my requests for a refund. Take the money and run....

Thank you Gordon, Dick, and all the writers for a terrific magazine. I will miss you guys. God Bless.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 AM
jman12
My Feedback: (13)

I'm sad to hear and see RC Report's final edition. RC Report was the best overall magazine on the street today. I enjoyed reading the unbias reports on all sorts of model aviation. Gordon Banks is a stand up kinda guy who ran a good show. I hope RC Report comes back to life again when the economy turns around. One can only hope!!

RC Report was the best!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Guys, if you read the other threads, RCR is dead as a ink printed format, but is coming back as an Web-based publication. IMO, its a lot chepaer to do it as web based instead of a printed publication. If your reading this, then you will be able to read it on-line. If you have to have a hard copy, just press that little icon that looks like a printer! For those others folks that do not have a computer, I hope that they can get to a local library to surf the net for the publication.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM
grenero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a faithfull reader of R/C report for almost 20 years. i have been through the same financial situation that Gordon is experiencing. I totally understand what he is going through.
I feel like I have missed a trusted friend with whom I communicated every month. (more than I communicate with any of my family members).
I an really sorry. Good luck Gordo.
I sincerely wish you the best.

Gabe R.
San Antonio
Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC Report was a breath of fresh air. If you check your daily newspaper, they may have gone to a smaller page, claiming it is easier to handle and read. Truth is, this is cost saving's thru less paper used, and there is lost revenue from advertiser's, newstand's on the street are fast becoming a thing of the past, just like a phone booth. RC Mag's are nice, Model Aviation has done a good turnaround, worth looking at now. The way I see it, RC mag's are just like the car mag's. If you go back 5 years, you can see and read the same thing over and over again. Just look at the many review's of the ARF this 'n that. Most of the Yak's, Sukhoi's, Extra's, etc., all look alike, all do the same thing. In the hands of a capable pilot, one can do a little something that the other can't do, and vice-versa. Read one review of an 86" ARF whatever with a DA50, you don't have to look at another. Some may disagree, but that's the way it is. All the same. I hope the staff at RC Report did well.

Crank
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I advertised in RC Report, a bunch of times and never once did I get a responce. So tell me, why keep advertising?

It's up to the "readers" to reach out to advertisers. My ad was there many times, I did my reaching out.

Charles

www.cfcgraphics.com

Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's online?

Yeah, and you can register to read it. They mention $24.95 or such for a membership.

They didn't refund my subscription of the hardcopy version. I'd like to apply that to the web version's registration. Anybody see a way to do that?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 AM
at-6 texan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that it is not an evil that does not publish most 'newspaper paper .. even believe this is a real step forward .... reducing consumption and increasing computing capabilities through the Internet ... as I said reducing the waste of ink and paper energy avoids many expenses that then beset the whole structure ... I think that finally we have exploited the potential that provides daily web .... basically what changes only type of material that is used for the rest .... the substance and the same. (my compliments to the editor!)