Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
funkymeter2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lado retracts, do the really exist?

ORIGINAL: MAGNUMRC.COM

Well, I must say, you are the first to expect someone else to cover your loss. The product does not have a bad rep, Doug does. ANYTIME you purchase something online in a preorder condition, you take a risk. The intensity of the risk then becomes determinent on previous experience with that vendor. Many many people are stolen from. I myself have lost thousands to a theif. I do not go to my neighbor because he owns what I lost in that theft and expect him to fork it over just because he should have been vigilant to prevent it from happening to me which is also unreasonable expectation. I would think extending a helping hand to Doug's customers in regards to warranty repair was a decent gesture. NO ONE is communicating with Doug. He has fallen off the face of the earth. Quite frankly, the French fellows are enthusiastic about providing good customer service as well as the product to the US modeler. They bought the technology only, NOT doug's liabilities, not the company Doug started. To focus your anger on a new group of people for something somebody else did??? Does that truly sound like the right thing to do? The company is no longer Lado Technologies, it is E-Retract. The product name stays Lado, to identify it with it's name recognition.
I was one of the people ripped off by Doug so I feel like my opinion carries some weight. As much as it is a drag I have to agree with this. We got ripped off, it happens. Doug is the the piece of garbage that has to look in the mirror and know that he stole from people who were excited about his product and hopefully if he has any conscience or morals, which is up for debate, it drives him insane everyday. I have not purchased any retracts and will probably go with the stock retracts for my p 47 as coupled with the initial payment sent to the crook the addition of the new retracts blows my budget. I wish you guys luck with the continuing on with what is evidently a fine product, you win some and lose some but it is not Magnum's fault at all.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Magnum RC

I did fail to mention how sorry and empathetic I feel for you to be done this way. Even though our business practice will not offer any relief for your or others loss in this matter, I do believe in the product and I personally will not ever take money from people without a delivery. This is why the website controls the inventory, the purchasing, even the Service for repair and warranty. You are right, there is some ill will; it ultimately becomes the customer's decision to buy with us or not. To rob yourself of a viable solution to retract engineering because of the ill will or more importantly to influence someone else when that risk condition no longer exists well, you can judge that for yourself. It starts becoming personal then.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I must say, you are the first to expect someone else to cover your loss. The product does not have a bad rep, Doug does. ANYTIME you purchase something online in a preorder condition, you take a risk. The intensity of the risk then becomes determinent on previous experience with that vendor. Many many people are stolen from. I myself have lost thousands to a theif. I do not go to my neighbor because he owns what I lost in that theft and expect him to fork it over just because he should have been vigilant to prevent it from happening to me which is also unreasonable expectation. I would think extending a helping hand to Doug's customers in regards to warranty repair was a decent gesture. NO ONE is communicating with Doug. He has fallen off the face of the earth. Quite frankly, the French fellows are enthusiastic about providing good customer service as well as the product to the US modeler. They bought the technology only, NOT doug's liabilities, not the company Doug started. To focus your anger on a new group of people for something somebody else did??? Does that truly sound like the right thing to do? The company is no longer Lado Technologies, it is E-Retract. The product name stays Lado, to identify it with it's name recognition.
Frankly I think you are being a little harsh with Macchi. Doug screwed a number of fellows. You and the new owners should have anticipated the negative fallout from these guys. Certainly extending the warranty is a good gesture but the tough titty attitude toward those who lost it all is unbecoming of any business.

While ManumRC and Frenchy have no legal obligation beyond purchasing the Lado name you both are smugly dodging an inherited liability. The Lado name is a rotten apple so attaching it to E-Retract and MagnumRC only spreads the rot no matter the explanation.

Perhaps you fellows can ask for proof of purchase from Doug’s victims and offer a substantial discount on new E-Retracts. That may go a long way to sweeten the bitter pill called “Lado”.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Magnum RC

you both are smugly dodging an inherited liability. The Lado name is a rotten apple so attaching it to E-Retract and MagnumRC only spreads the rot no matter the explanation.

Perhaps you fellows can ask for proof of purchase from Doug’s victims and offer a substantial discount on new E-Retracts. That may go a long way to sweeten the bitter pill called “Lado”.
This "inherited liability" you speak of does not exist I am sorry to say. Merely an opinion. And there is nothing "smug" about it. You are asking someone else to pay for Doug's indiscretions-plain and simple. There is a difference between buying the technology and the company itself. Your suggestion will be noted.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Macchi
My Feedback: (4)

Like I said, there is no anger and there is certainly nothing personal. It is a question of branding, marketing and human nature.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

FF
Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm presently installing the new E-Retract's into my H9 Hellcat. I've got LADOs in my Corsair, so was quite interested in what these new ones would be like.

Not only is the body "painted" (probably anodized?) but they appear to have a change or two in the execution. The axis bearing seems to be an exact fit and possibly have greater bearing surface (good idea). The "axle" appears to be larger diameter and fits the case exactly. It'll seal the innards and spread the load. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Also, the strut is held by 2 gib screws that're easily reached. Swapping out bent struts ought to be lots easier.

I'd guess they used the original specs and maybe measurements, but just might have improved some details.

............. my suggestion to them would be to drop the LADO name from the product soon. They really don't have any responsibility to the previous "business" or customers. None. Keeping the name only serves to bring up an ugly past and does noone any good. I would imagine they spend unnecessary time explaining, when in fact they've done everyone a real service by keeping the product alive.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

As an outsider looking in I have to agree with Magnum that the new owner's certainly should not be liable for the sins of the previous owner. I also agree with da Rock in that maintaining the Lado branding may not provide for the sort of name recognition that is desireable!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Dick T.

I agree they have no liability nor responsibility. My point is the guys who received the middle finger from Lado are lost business and their circle of friends is potentially more lost business. Inheirited liability may be an opinion but it is very real in the consumer world. To ignore it is risky.

The suggestion I made earlier may temper some loss.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 PM
da Rock

The harsh truth is that if the E-Retract units work as good as they look, the only people who even remember the old LADO problems will be on the outside looking in. If they work good, the good word will absolutely drown out the few who try to keep talking about Doug's terrible business practices.

E-Retracts isn't going to be hurt by the association if the product is as excellent as it looks. The sooner they drop the name the better. Then there won't be any dredging up of a past that has nothing to do with them.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Magnum RC

I had the pleasure of a brief conversation with Stephane and Christophe, and I couldn't believe I had to defend American integrity and attitude.  I would like to suggest for future reference in this thread that reference to their nationality as "Frenchies" or "Froggies" be squelched.  I really don't want them to believe we all are racists.  They have chosen to study the English language just for the purpose of reintroducing Lado products to the US market.  The initial respect they have for Americans has been amazing up until now.  We all need to keep one thing in mind with people who do not have a full command of our American slang words, is that it can be taken the wrong way and be insultive.  I didn't have to learn French to be involved.  They love John Wayne and his integrity.  They love our country, been here once to come to see Doug.  I learned today that if America doesn't want Lado in this country it isn't any skin off their back.  This is an incorrect perception I had to fix because of the comments on this thread.  And YES they read every bit of it because they are interested in American opinions and attitude.  So people read between the lines of this post and watch what you say,  something said can be easily misunderstood. 

Please know them as Christophe and Stephane.  Very French, very patriotic, and they like us.... for now. 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 PM
fearless fly

I had the pleasure of a brief conversation with Stephane and Christophe, and I couldn't believe I had to defend American integrity and attitude. I would like to suggest for future reference in this thread that reference to their nationality as ''Frenchies'' or ''Froggies'' be squelched. I really don't want them to believe we all are racists. They have chosen to study the English language just for the purpose of reintroducing Lado products to the US market. The initial respect they have for Americans has been amazing up until now. We all need to keep one thing in mind with people who do not have a full command of our American slang words, is that it can be taken the wrong way and be insultive. I didn't have to learn French to be involved. They love John Wayne and his integrity. They love our country, been here once to come to see Doug. I learned today that if America doesn't want Lado in this country it isn't any skin off their back. This is an incorrect perception I had to fix because of the comments on this thread. And YES they read every bit of it because they are interested in American opinions and attitude. So people read between the lines of this post and watch what you say, something said can be easily misunderstood.

Please know them as Christophe and Stephane. Very French, very patriotic, and they like us.... for now.
BLOODY WELL SAID GUS!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Dick T.

I had the pleasure of a brief conversation with Stephane and Christophe, and I couldn't believe I had to defend American integrity and attitude. I would like to suggest for future reference in this thread that reference to their nationality as ''Frenchies'' or ''Froggies'' be squelched. I really don't want them to believe we all are racists. They have chosen to study the English language just for the purpose of reintroducing Lado products to the US market. The initial respect they have for Americans has been amazing up until now. We all need to keep one thing in mind with people who do not have a full command of our American slang words, is that it can be taken the wrong way and be insultive. I didn't have to learn French to be involved. They love John Wayne and his integrity. They love our country, been here once to come to see Doug. I learned today that if America doesn't want Lado in this country it isn't any skin off their back. This is an incorrect perception I had to fix because of the comments on this thread. And YES they read every bit of it because they are interested in American opinions and attitude. So people read between the lines of this post and watch what you say, something said can be easily misunderstood.

Please know them as Christophe and Stephane. Very French, very patriotic, and they like us.... for now.
Then they will learn and appreciate the friendship modelers in America show each other with fond nicknames. Frenchies, Froggies, Pepe Le Pew, whatever doesn’t mean slander or mockery is intended toward Christophe and Stephane. I’m sure they share the same frivolity with friends in their homeland.

Racism it is NOT! I grow weary of racism being raised every time someone In the US speaks their mind or disagrees. We are still free to do so.

Lastly they will also learn that modelers here differ little from those in France or other parts of the EU. You get screwed and it will be told again and again to anyone listening. Any expectation of those burned to sit down, shut up and go away is dreaming.

I wish them success in the U.S. market but any drubbing or complacency will ring quickly and loudly across the forums.

Very American and very patriotic…so how about a little RAH-RAH for the country that supports the rest of the free world at our expense!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Magnum RC

Then they will learn and appreciate the friendship modelers in America show each other with fond nicknames. Frenchies, Froggies, Pepe Le Pew, whatever doesn’t mean slander or mockery is intended toward Christophe and Stephane. I’m sure they share the same frivolity with friends in their homeland.

Racism it is NOT! I grow weary of racism being raised every time someone In the US speaks their mind or disagrees. We are still free to do so.

Lastly they will also learn that modelers here differ little from those in France or other parts of the EU. You get screwed and it will be told again and again to anyone listening. Any expectation of those burned to sit down, shut up and go away is dreaming.

I wish them success in the U.S. market but any drubbing or complacency will ring quickly and loudly across the forums.

Very American and very patriotic…so how about a little RAH-RAH for the country that supports the rest of the free world at our expense!
This isn't about anything else other than trying to demonstrate Americans have a little class as well as the rest of the world. This country is great, but this has nothing to do with that at this time. Those words CAN be misunderstood. The point being is I know exactly what you said. Christophe and Stephane can come to a completely different conclusion. One can express himself very clearly in this forum without having to use slang when there are other parties atune to the thread.. Most Americans do have some class. Use it .
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Dick T.

This isn't about anything else other than trying to demonstrate Americans have a little class as well as the rest of the world. This country is great, but this has nothing to do with that at this time. Those words CAN be misunderstood. The point being is I know exactly what you said. Christophe and Stephane can come to a completely different conclusion. One can express himself very clearly in this forum without having to use slang when there are other parties atune to the thread.. Most Americans do have some class. Use it .
It really isn’t a matter of showing class.

If Christophe and Stephane want to do business with hobbyists in any country they need to adapt to local customs, language and slang, not the other way around. Showing class and appreciation works both ways. If the Chinese can master selling to Americans with the extreme language differences anyone can with equal effort.

In America we already do enough of “Press 1 for English” to kiss foreign booty. I am not going denigrate them or their business but not going to cater either.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

Magnum R/C
Just because you have a "monetary" relationship doesnt mean you need to put your dukes up when people who have been burned have a little animosity towards the new company (look at Toyota). Those burned have been cordial enough and dont owe you or the french connection anything. Dick T has ,quite frankly, hit the nail on the head and your being defensive is not helping the cause. Being a little humble wont hurt.... in fact might carry the new company much further. I for one have been waiting to see what would come of Lado and now have been excited about a great product possibly becoming a reality but the cocky attitude makes me want to think twice. I dont mind pumping air or using a servo to get the results I need.......but I dont want to so for those of us on the fence....dont push us back to the other side with a puffy chest or a "our poop dont stink attitude because it wont work.
No need to respond to this because enough has been said and I have not slandered nor does it matter.
I wish nothing short of success to the new company and hope to see more of a great product in our hobby
Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 PM
fnlrun
My Feedback: (2)

They have chosen to study the English language just for the purpose of reintroducing Lado products to the US market.

No.... They chosse to attempt a profit by the reintroducing of a product that comsumers want. Pure Capatilism and small business ethic.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
fearless fly

ORIGINAL: fnlrun

They have chosen to study the English language just for the purpose of reintroducing Lado products to the US market.

No.... They chosse to attempt a profit by the reintroducing of a product that comsumers want. Pure Capatilism and small business ethic.
Ever heard of the word 'cynic'?...look it up in the dictionary.
Doing that may even improve your spelling!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:43 AM
da Rock

And not correcting your mates would improve your manners.

We're getting a bit political and personal. Let's keep posts directed to the topic, not the posters nor politics.

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)
Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: da Rock
............. my suggestion to them would be to drop the LADO name from the product soon. They really don't have any responsibility to the previous ''business'' or customers. None. Keeping the name only serves to bring up an ugly past and does noone any good. I would imagine they spend unnecessary time explaining, when in fact they've done everyone a real service by keeping the product alive.
My feeling is Doug was smart and prohibits that by contract.

If you look at the Lado -website, there you see nothing has changed just the contract address. They even use the pictures of Doug's Haas Lathe and Mill.
Speaking of website - they did not only purchased the "technology" they purchased the website as well. That means the service and sale of Lado retracts.

In my opinion they bought the company. Plans, parts and programs were exchanged for money. If not legally then morally they should take care of the old customers as well. They would be returning customers for sure, and this thread would die within a day or two.

As I stated before – it comes down to the short memory of the Americans, at least someone speculated that.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're getting a bit political and personal. Let's keep posts directed to the topic, not the posters nor politics.
As for political correctness

You have to close:
37 threads someone called someone “frenchy”
7492 threats someone called someone Hillbilly, Canuck, Idiot and some more bad names
4821 threads containing political statements
398 threads referring to GOD

Pardon my French – comes in my mind
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
fnlrun

ORIGINAL: fearless fly

Normally I would say "kiss my *****" however knowing your status I will say "slurp my butt" -Hudson Hawk
Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
fearless fly

ORIGINAL: fearless fly

Normally I would say ''kiss my *****'' however knowing your status I will say ''slurp my butt'' -Hudson Hawk
Ouch,that hurt!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
fnlrun

LOL all in good humor
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
fearless fly

"guilty as charged sir".My apologies to all.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

you both are smugly dodging an inherited liability. The Lado name is a rotten apple so attaching it to E-Retract and MagnumRC only spreads the rot no matter the explanation.

This ''inherited liability'' you speak of does not exist I am sorry to say. Merely an opinion. And there is nothing ''smug'' about it. You are asking someone else to pay for Doug's indiscretions-plain and simple. There is a difference between buying the technology and the company itself. Your suggestion will be noted.
I fortunately didn't get burned by Doug but I have felt the sting by others. I am on neither side of this debate. The products are AWESOME and save time and money. I would like to get a few more sets for birds waiting but the price is a little steep right now.

Unfortunately you are in a sense paying for the Doug's indiscretions. I've been to 5 or 6 warbird events in CO. and Wyo. in the last few years. The first couple I had the Lado's installed and people were gathered around in awe at how quickly they were removed and reinstalled again. People were literally pushing to get closer to see them. Then about a year after the problems started people were less excited. Many of the guys that were so excited now could only wait for a product that would never show up at their doorstep. Then the inevitable started, people who were burned started talking about how they were ripped off and cupple that with a few warranty issues like bound gear and you soon had guys from all over the United States talking about these "terrible" electric retracts.

Now alot of these guys don't come to RCU and are major contributors to this hobby. Their "opinions" weights very heavily on a lot of people. So for you product to see the initial hype you have to change those opinions. I've watched a few other small time companies start like you with an existing product and turn it into a profitable business that people don't hesitate to consider. (Areovate,RCGF for instance) They took others bad fortune and offered free services and discounts to those who were hurt by others. Even replaced engines for those who received bad products from unknowns using the same name. Now they are a vey trust worthy distributor.

So the way I see it it all comes down to how long you want to wait too see these flourish in the market? Help out a few and good things will follow, the profit you lose on a few will be gained 10 fold by the good word it will produce and the opinions it will change. Remember not all RC'ers are neighbors and some only get together once or twice a year and talk mostly. So putting good opinions in the heads with good deeds will only help.

This is strictly my own OPINION.....

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.