Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1984

RE: Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Anybody got a size on the set screws yet. I spent yesterday at a hobby shop trying every size screw they had and still nothing fit. Either too small or too large, The seem to be a size between 4-40 and 6-32 but not quite 5-40. We tried metric and standard and they are definately not metric. Any answers??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: thedeeman

Anybody got a size on the set screws yet. I spent yesterday at a hobby shop trying every size screw they had and still nothing fit. Either too small or too large, The seem to be a size between 4-40 and 6-32 but not quite 5-40. We tried metric and standard and they are definately not metric. Any answers??

Nope

Would really, really like to know the sizes. What thread and what size wrench????? (This really should not be hard to provide.)
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi guy's,

they was in 6-32.

and they was black anodized, cause for me it's more beautiful than blue anodized of Doug and more easy to conceal on the wing.
    General manager of Lado by e-retract
    \"Real planes have real retracts, why shouldn\'\'t yours?\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: thedeeman

Nope

Would really, really like to know the sizes. What thread and what size wrench????? (This really should not be hard to provide.)
    I made a new 4 mm thread, I had the gear to do it laying around. I rounded one of the original screws way to easy for my liking.
    Flemming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What size wrench for the original screws?
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: da Rock

What size wrench for the original screws?
    1/16"

And, you can buy replacement stainless steel set screws at Ace Hardware... they may be a little long but you can cut them off...

Need to get a good quality allen-head wrench made out of hard steel. The grub screws are stainless so they're pretty hard.

Here's a little "duhhh" tip: If you think the end of your allen wrench may be a little rounded, just cut it off with your dremel and presto!! brand new wrench!!

I say it's a "duhhh" tip because that's what I said when a friend told me!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

As an outsider looking in I have to agree with Magnum that the new owner's certainly should not be liable for the sins of the previous owner. I also agree with da Rock in that maintaining the Lado branding may not provide for the sort of name recognition that is desireable!
    As someone who owns 2 sets of the original LADO Retracts (1 set for a Mustang, the other set for a Corsair), I would have to disagree... LADO is no longer associated with a brand name as much as it is associated with the product itself. LADO's are a type of all electric self-contained retracts, not a company anymore. I see no benefit to changing the name of the retracts. They're LADO's. [8D]

Of course there is a story behind the LADO Retract, and it's a wild tale with some ups and lots of down's... hopefully the story stays UP from here on out! Chris and Magnum both seem to be staying pretty much on top of the product so far, but only time will tell for sure. I wish them the very best, and may even purchase more LADO's from them in the near future (yeah, I bought a 2nd Mustang... hehehe!).

I agree that the new product owner has (apparently) no legal obligation to those who never received their order(s) from the previous owner, but there is a certain moral obligation IMO for them to try to do something for those people. Whether it be trying to somehow apply pressure on the previous owner of the product to make right, or offering to sell AT COST replacement retracts to those who never received their orders, something needs to be done for those people left high-n-dry without a product by the previous owner! It's just the right thing to do, IMHO.

Regards.

- Michael

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

stainless steel is not a hard metal
    Ken
    Wherever conversion engines are outlawed, only outlaws will have conversion engines.

ULTA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: box car

stainless steel is not a hard metal
    Is it harder than a standard grub screw?

Tried 6-32 and they didn't fit (too big) :-(. Also while flying my new rotating retracts I received last week I had a nasty incident when the retract gear screws fell out and the strut with the gear still attached dropped out. My normal S.O.P. is to remove the manufacturers screws and bolts and redo them with loctite but I didn't this time. So I recommend everyone remove and re-loctite the metal to metal screws that hold the brass gear housing to the base.

BTW, what size are those small socket head screws. I lost a few today in the flight. One more BTW - the corsair wing split on the rib next to retract bay where the wing bends up. So anyone with the corsair make sure to epoxy that area. You may have to cut an access hole in the balsa sheeting on top of the wing to get in there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My new retracts came Sat. Work great...to bad they are both for the right side wing on the F4U.[X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry about that funlrun, we have a small learning curve too. Send it back and you will be promptly taken care of. Please use the RMA system. thanks
    Scale Accessories at its Best.
    Electric Retracts
    Eagle Master and DLE Gas Engines
    \"The Airplane Buddy\" Field stands

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi fnlrun,
    it happen to me too to do that....
    @thedeeman: what screw did you need the size? the screw on the pignon gear are 6/32 and other are 2/56.

Thanks for the info. That's what I needed. I tried 6-32 but they were appearing to big. So maybe they were mislabeled in the screw box. I'll go buy a fresh bag and see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fnlrun

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: chalmrast

I don't like the anodized case. ~ Seems like an added expense & step in manufacturing. Can someone explain the benefits?
    Anodizing helps prevent corrosion
    Not on Aluminum. It can last for YEARS before a tarnish apears. Take a look at wheels, just nicly polished aluminum

Sorry, but thats not correct (Minnflyer had it correct).

Aluminum oxidixes rapidly compared to other metals. The difference is that the Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3) is has stronger bond so it generally remains intact unless disturbed by an outside force, like being touched. (compared to iron oxides which tend to crack apart). This intact layer on the surface of the aluminum part protects the underlying surface from further oxidation. This is is why carbon steel rust is a problem. The oxide forms, is weak, breaks apart or falls off, allows more exposure of the metal and thus more oxidation (materials engineering 101). Anodizing is actually just a process for enhancing the properties of the aluminum oxide layer.

There a reasonable explanation of it on wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxide

"The thickness and properties of this oxide layer can be enhanced using a process called anodising. A number of alloys, such as aluminium bronzes, exploit this property by including a proportion of aluminium in the alloy to enhance corrosion resistance. The alumina generated by anodising is typically amorphous, but discharge assisted oxidation processes such as plasma electrolytic oxidation result in a significant proportion of crystalline alumina in the coating, enhancing its hardness."

When you read amorphous, think of something like glass, a non crystalline solid.

Wheels that you site are typically protected in some way, or are made of another metal.

Hope that helps with and understanding of the benefits, its not just to make it pretty (that is just a pleasant result).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I have 3 "landings" on my Lado 60-2's now with my CMPro P-40 -73". This E-conversion weighs over 12lbs. Each landing resulted in collapsed gear but not a fault of the Lado units. Here is a brief description of each setup & what happened:

I am using Robart 660 struts that accept 3/16 wire (smallest) and the Lado's accept 5/32"

Pre-Maiden: I made adapters from 5/32 to 3/16 by using 5/32 music wire and 3/16 copper tube. I JB-welded the tube over the portion of the music wire that goes into the Robart strut. This failed even before the maiden because the set screws on the struts only made contact with the copper tube. The JB-weld didn't hold thus allowing the music wire to spin inside the copper.

Landing 1: I made my own wire adapters using 3/16" music wire. I cut a piece to length then inserted it in my drill press. With the wire spinning, I used a dremmel wheel to turn the diameter to 5/32" for the portion that inserts into the Lado trunion. Take-off & flight went great. Landing was smooth but the gear folded up like sticks. Everyone thought the Lados failed but they held without a problem. The wire adapters are what bent at a 90 degree angle. The act of "machining" them down weakened the metal terribly. I tested a piece on my bench at home by sticking one end into a vise and putting the strut on the other end... I could bend the wire with very little effort.

Landing 2: I made new adapters by "soldering" the 3/16" tube to the 5/32" music wire. I put "solder" in quotes because you cant really solder copper to steel. But, it held enough for what I needed. The copper really only needs to act as a second bushing. I then ground a flat spot on the copper/steel side that went all the way through the copper. This allowed the strut set-screw to make contact with the wire, not the copper. I then used a silver Sharpie to mark the set screw locations on the Lado side and ground those areas flat as well. I put blue Loc-Tite on all the set screws. For this flight I was not at my normal flying field, I was up in the mountains at about 6200' elevation. With less lift due to the thinner air, the plane landed a little rough. Once again, the Lado's held strong but the wire bent on the left strut. I have video of this landing and I'll post it as soon as I get it processed.

Landing 3: Same day as Landing 2. Since we were camping out & didn't have access to all my tools, I decided to try an allen wrench as a wire adapater. I figured it's hardened steel so it should have more strength. Also, it already has flat sides! My buddies told me it may be harder, but it will most likely snap instead of bend. I figured "what the heck" so I tried it any way. Once again, a rough landing due to less-dense air & not enough elevator throw. This time both sides bent and one side actually ripped right out of the blocks. The Lado units were un-effected!

I am going to drill out the trunions to 3/16" I have nothing to lose at this point. If it doesn't work I'll just order new trunions. But, everyone at the field was thoroughly impressed with the strength of the units... for them to take that kind of force & not even flinch is impressive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The new ones do take 3/16 wire now... FYI
    Electric Retracts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Magnum RC

The new ones do take 3/16 wire now...* FYI
    Oh I'm painfully aware as I was the first one to ask the question when I noticed the collar looked larger on your website!

Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very interesting chalmrast,

I have my new set of Lados installed in a VQ Yak-1 ( that is really a Yak-3 / Yak-1b mix) by using regular 5/32 struts and 3/16 aluminum tube JB Welded to the end of them to create a spacer bushing similar to your set up #2. I ground the same flat spot as you described.

I think the whole shebang will maiden tomorrow night. I plane to change over to Robart Struts after I get the plane sorted. I had planed to use the 3/16 adapters in the Robarts and the same sized rod to mount the struts to the Lados.

In taking about this at the field one evening another flier mentioned he and made similar adapters (not for Lado) for a project out of Carbon Fiber Rods. If you need to do a step up adapter you might try CF.

Cross your fingers for my Yak as I'm using some of those adjustable wire struts that you cut the end off and set screw the axles on..... Never used them before and they are only a stop gap, but in my head I can see lots of ways for things to collapse. My saving grace is that the Yak-1 only weighs 7lbs 5ozs so if bend stuff it wont be the planes fault !!

Keep us posted on your testing.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ohhhhhh you're making an adapter for the old Lado set up with a 5/32 hole in the units themselves.... Missed that.

I have some of those in the rekitting pile of my BP P-40. I still love the Lados.

My Yak has. the new style with 5mm holes.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi chalmrast,
    Nice to hear this story from you, if you do an drawing for those adapter, i'll made them to you in strong steel.
    We have now new mounting system for wheels on music wires, as i've been victim of an robery at my home , my pc have gone with the gangster.... As soon as i have my new imac, i'll upgrade my web to show you this wonderfull pieces, for who are intersted send me an email, i'll send you pictures and prices.
    There are for 5mm music wire .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Magnum RC:

When will you be getting the trunions in stock?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qo39034.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	1474898  

Also when will the spare screws be in also?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I received the spare parts, however, I have not put any up for sale because the amount I received was limited. I am holding what I have back for repairs. Perhaps on the next shipment, I can get sufficient quantity to put some up on the website for sale. Also deeman, which screws were you interested in.?
    Electric Retracts

Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast