Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1984

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Lado retracts, do the really exist?

ORIGINAL: chalmrast

Well I have 3 "landings" on my Lado 60-2's now with my CMPro P-40 -73". This E-conversion weighs over 12lbs. Each landing resulted in collapsed gear but not a fault of the Lado units. Here is a brief description of each setup & what happened:

I am using Robart 660 struts that accept 3/16 wire (smallest) and the Lado's accept 5/32"

Pre-Maiden: I made adapters from 5/32 to 3/16 by using 5/32 music wire and 3/16 copper tube. I JB-welded the tube over the portion of the music wire that goes into the Robart strut. This failed even before the maiden because the set screws on the struts only made contact with the copper tube. The JB-weld didn't hold thus allowing the music wire to spin inside the copper.

Landing 1: I made my own wire adapters using 3/16" music wire. I cut a piece to length then inserted it in my drill press. With the wire spinning, I used a dremmel wheel to turn the diameter to 5/32" for the portion that inserts into the Lado trunion. Take-off & flight went great. Landing was smooth but the gear folded up like sticks. Everyone thought the Lados failed but they held without a problem. The wire adapters are what bent at a 90 degree angle. The act of "machining" them down weakened the metal terribly. I tested a piece on my bench at home by sticking one end into a vise and putting the strut on the other end... I could bend the wire with very little effort.

Landing 2: I made new adapters by "soldering" the 3/16" tube to the 5/32" music wire. I put "solder" in quotes because you cant really solder copper to steel. But, it held enough for what I needed. The copper really only needs to act as a second bushing. I then ground a flat spot on the copper/steel side that went all the way through the copper. This allowed the strut set-screw to make contact with the wire, not the copper. I then used a silver Sharpie to mark the set screw locations on the Lado side and ground those areas flat as well. I put blue Loc-Tite on all the set screws. For this flight I was not at my normal flying field, I was up in the mountains at about 6200' elevation. With less lift due to the thinner air, the plane landed a little rough. Once again, the Lado's held strong but the wire bent on the left strut. I have video of this landing and I'll post it as soon as I get it processed.

Landing 3: Same day as Landing 2. Since we were camping out & didn't have access to all my tools, I decided to try an allen wrench as a wire adapater. I figured it's hardened steel so it should have more strength. Also, it already has flat sides! My buddies told me it may be harder, but it will most likely snap instead of bend. I figured "what the heck" so I tried it any way. Once again, a rough landing due to less-dense air & not enough elevator throw. This time both sides bent and one side actually ripped right out of the blocks. The Lado units were un-effected!

I am going to drill out the trunions to 3/16" I have nothing to lose at this point. If it doesn't work I'll just order new trunions. But, everyone at the field was thoroughly impressed with the strength of the units... for them to take that kind of force & not even flinch is impressive.
    Normal0falsefalsefalseoNotPromoteQF />EN-USX-NONEontGrowAutofit />ontVertAlignCellWithSp />ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables />ontVertAlignInTxbx />Normal0falsefalsefalseoNotPromoteQF />EN-USX-NONEontGrowAutofit />ontVertAlignCellWithSp />ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables />ontVertAlignInTxbx />

chalmrast,

I haven't paid much attention to this thread lately, and I've not read beyond your post above. I developed a somewhat unique fix for the same problem I was having on my H9 Corsair: bent wires. Having tried everything else I could think of, I finally found the permanent fix. Necessity is the mother of all invention, they say.
    [/b]

[/b]Go to the hardware store, and buy a couple smallish screwdrivers. Take a caliper with you, and you’ll find that the shaft of most smaller screwdrivers are the exact diameter that you need to fit the Lados. Screwdriver shafts are made of chrome vanadium. [/b]

[/b] When is the last time you saw a screwdriver bend? Me neither. I’ve had absolutely no more problems with my Lado / RoboStrut combination.[/b]

[/b]

Mike [/b]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chalmrast

Well I have 3 "landings" on my Lado 60-2's now with my CMPro P-40 -73". This E-conversion weighs over 12lbs. Each landing resulted in collapsed gear but not a fault of the Lado units. Here is a brief description of each setup & what happened:

I am using Robart 660 struts that accept 3/16 wire (smallest) and the Lado's accept 5/32"

Pre-Maiden: I made adapters from 5/32 to 3/16 by using 5/32 music wire and 3/16 copper tube. I JB-welded the tube over the portion of the music wire that goes into the Robart strut. This failed even before the maiden because the set screws on the struts only made contact with the copper tube. The JB-weld didn't hold thus allowing the music wire to spin inside the copper.

Landing 1: I made my own wire adapters using 3/16" music wire. I cut a piece to length then inserted it in my drill press. With the wire spinning, I used a dremmel wheel to turn the diameter to 5/32" for the portion that inserts into the Lado trunion. Take-off & flight went great. Landing was smooth but the gear folded up like sticks. Everyone thought the Lados failed but they held without a problem. The wire adapters are what bent at a 90 degree angle. The act of "machining" them down weakened the metal terribly. I tested a piece on my bench at home by sticking one end into a vise and putting the strut on the other end... I could bend the wire with very little effort.

Landing 2: I made new adapters by "soldering" the 3/16" tube to the 5/32" music wire. I put "solder" in quotes because you cant really solder copper to steel. But, it held enough for what I needed. The copper really only needs to act as a second bushing. I then ground a flat spot on the copper/steel side that went all the way through the copper. This allowed the strut set-screw to make contact with the wire, not the copper. I then used a silver Sharpie to mark the set screw locations on the Lado side and ground those areas flat as well. I put blue Loc-Tite on all the set screws. For this flight I was not at my normal flying field, I was up in the mountains at about 6200' elevation. With less lift due to the thinner air, the plane landed a little rough. Once again, the Lado's held strong but the wire bent on the left strut. I have video of this landing and I'll post it as soon as I get it processed.

Landing 3: Same day as Landing 2. Since we were camping out & didn't have access to all my tools, I decided to try an allen wrench as a wire adapater. I figured it's hardened steel so it should have more strength. Also, it already has flat sides! My buddies told me it may be harder, but it will most likely snap instead of bend. I figured "what the heck" so I tried it any way. Once again, a rough landing due to less-dense air & not enough elevator throw. This time both sides bent and one side actually ripped right out of the blocks. The Lado units were un-effected!

I am going to drill out the trunions to 3/16" I have nothing to lose at this point. If it doesn't work I'll just order new trunions. But, everyone at the field was thoroughly impressed with the strength of the units... for them to take that kind of force & not even flinch is impressive.
    Okay, let's try this again -

Normal0falsefalsefalseoNotPromoteQF />EN-USX-NONEontGrowAutofit />ontVertAlignCellWithSp />ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables />ontVertAlignInTxbx />oNotOptimizeForBrowser />

chalmrast,

I haven't paid much attention to this thread lately, and I've not read beyond your post above. I developed a somewhat unique fix for the same problem I was having on my H9 Corsair, bent wires. Having tried everything else I could think of, I finally found the permanent fix. Necessity is the mother of all invention, they say.

Go to the hardware store, and buy a couple smallish screwdrivers. Take a caliper with you, and you’ll find that the shaft of most smaller screwdrivers are the exact diameter that you need to fit the Lados. Screwdriver shafts are made of chrome vanadium.

When is the last time you saw a screwdriver bend? Me neither. I’ve had absolutely no more problems with my Lado / RoboStrut combination.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All newer Lado products come with 5mm wire size collets and trunions. This is slightly larger than 3/16. The strength comes from the case design.
    Scale Accessories at its Best.
    Electric Retracts
    Eagle Master and DLE Gas Engines
    \"The Airplane Buddy\" Field stands

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guss,

Question. So does the new regulator work for the smaller LADO retracts as well (333 series)? Also, if one were to get the regulator and used it on a 300 series REV B retract, could one use it to speed up the retract or would that only work on rev. C units?

M3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Magnum RC

ORIGINAL: show871

What are my lado options if wanting to convert a ESM Hellcat to Lado?
    Your options are easy,* You can buy an ESM retrofit kit for 219.95 and it comes with all the parts you need to convert and do it yourself or send it in to us for retrofit for a $50 labor charge on top of the kit cost.** ESM's Gen 5 gear are a great retract to convert.
    I would like to do this.....could you please send me a link on what items I need to place in my cart with you? And is everything in stock for this??? Thanks!
    http://tourplaygolf.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The regulator was designed for the REV B retract so that one may use the 6 volt on board pack. The regulator will allow 5.2 volts to pass to the retracts unabated; The maximum voltage allowed without having to worry about overdriving the unit. A six volt pack can overdrive the Rev B electronics because sometimes it spikes to 7.2 volts after it comes off the charger so the regulator is the solution to that. On REV B, there isn't any two speed option, it will just increase the speed some by allowing the voltage to increase to 5.2 volts. On the rev C, the regulator offers two speed operation because the retract electronics can take the additional power and one just switches off the regulator to allow the entire voltage of the on board battery to pass through. I hope that helps

And yes, the regulator works for any Lado product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72365.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	1642501  
    Electric Retracts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have just received two sets of LADO retracts RS 333-RB & RS 333-85. Both say Rev D. What voltage are they good for?  I also got 5mm struts and wire wheel adapters. The axles are to short and large in diameter for my Hangar 9 wheels. What Axel will allow me to use my Hangar 9 wheels?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The REV D are the new ones in digital, so you can program delay if you want in.
    you can supply them with 4,8v, 6v , 6,6v , 7,4V, in fact any normal power supply for your receiver.
    christophe
    General manager of Lado by e-retract
    \"Real planes have real retracts, why shouldn\'\'t yours?\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: christophe31

The REV D are the new ones in digital, so you can program delay if you want in.
    you can supply them with 4,8v, 6v , 6,6v , 7,4V, in fact any normal power supply for your receiver.
    christophe

Good morning christophe31,
    I've gotten good service out of the 4 sets of Lado retracts I've purchased. The only complaint is the sets in my H9 Corsair and H9 Hellcat only extend 90 degrees and both those planes are flown from grass fields. They really would benefit greatly if the gear moved 100 degrees. Do you have any plans to offer rotating retracts that extend greater than 90 degrees? Even on paved runways, 90degree geared models have been known to nose over. The tires are simply too far back, too near the CG.

Wingspan retracts are presently offering 100 degree rotators. So it's obvious there is a market for "long arc" gear.

Any plans?
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi Da rock,
    yes we plan to doing the 100° rotating in 2012, and for those who already have the 90° , it'll be possible to change only one piece to have the 100° version.
    like on our RS333, if you want another angle you simply need the separate parts with the different angle , and that's done.
    many other good things will appears in 2012.... and as me ( i'm a modeler who try to fly all week end with my products.... ) you'll love it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi Da rock,
    yes we plan to doing the 100° rotating in 2012, and for those who already have the 90° , it'll be possible to change only one piece to have the 100° version.
    like on our RS333, if you want another angle you simply need the separate parts with the different angle , and that's done.
    many other good things will appears in 2012.... and as me ( i'm a modeler who try to fly all week end with my products.... ) you'll love it.

Now that is really great news. I've got two sets that really, really would help the model taxi, takeoff, and land better if the wheels rotated farther forward. I've already moved the CGs back about as far as I'm willing to fly those two planes.

You are talking about the Corsair/Hellcat/Warhawk rotating gear, right?
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gentlemen, I am a newbie needing a little help. I just bought  two sets of LADO retracts. One is for my Hangar 9 Hellcat. The other is for my Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang. Little confused as to what to buy, struts, in order to install wheels. How are you folks doing it?  I bought the 5mm wire legs and wire leg adapters. My Hangar 9 wheels are not going to work on these adapters. I have not been able to find much info out their.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Call Magnum RC, and we will advise you. We do have Oleo struts that are designed for the RS333 series retrats. 541-603-0528
    Electric Retracts

That's what you get with Lado.  No help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi FlyandMighty,

It was very difficult to get an answer before Lado was sold to Christopher. However since the sale both Christopher and the guys at MagnumRC have been very quick to help with any question or order I've had. The turn around is as fast as any you'll find and each time I've seen a question they can help with either Christopher or MagnumRC have chimed in very quickly here to respond.

I waited over 4 months for my first set from Doug. Once he sold out to Christopher you can now easily see what's in stock and where to get it from.

I will be using Lado for my ESM LA-7 and look forward to the improvements in programing you can now do right inside the retract unit.

Looks like Magnum responded about 3 hours after dawhale asked about his setup. That seems pretty good to me.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyandMighty

That's what you get with Lado. *No help
    i think you don't want me to help you.
    i've done all i can ,and cannot do more sorry, if you don't make any effort.

and yes , everyone of my customer get answer like you when you have asking me how to tap the hole of the slider.

i'm 10000km far away from you, don't forget that.

@ joe:
    and i'll continue, i cannot let say that customer will not have answer from me, yesterday i 've sending mail to greece customer at midnight, i don't think you will found someone answering at this time in other factory.
    but unfortunatly, i cannot make happy FlyandMighty[&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Christopher,

I have really enjoyed watching the progress you've made both in service and changes in th product line since you acquired Lado.

The possible combinations of retracts and struts is second to none including nose wheels and rotators.

Now the addition of being able to program features directly into the retract unit gives us controll and simplicity not available anywhere else. Great additions.

Thanks for all your work and keep up the great work.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Joespeeder

Hey Christopher,

I have really enjoyed watching the progress you've made both in service and changes in th product line since you acquired Lado.

The possible combinations of retracts and struts is second to none including nose wheels and rotators.

Now the addition of being able to program features directly into the retract unit gives us controll and simplicity not available anywhere else. Great additions.

Thanks for all your work and keep up the great work.

Joe
    and is just the beginning....
    as i'm firstly modeler , before business man, i do what i dream for, and fpr sure you'll love 2012...lol

the complete legs for all our retracts will be here soon.
    and just to make you see what will be 2012, look this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRk97k73xFs[/youtube]
    sorry for my froggies english.... as some blame me for.

I was one of the folks that Doug took the money and ran from. New ownership has been very helpful in a timely fashion since they took over, I would stand by their service!

I have done business with both Doug(the original owner) and MagnumRC ,now that Magnum is selling the units there service and communication on availability and shipping of the parts was great.

Doug was on such a shoe string budget and just wasn't prepared to handle the business side of things great product lousy businessman thankfully he sold the company

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and just to make you see what will be 2012, look this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRk97k73xFs[/youtube]
    sorry for my froggies english.... as some blame me for.
    Awesome,, when will Magnum have these?
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Soon....
    Electric Retracts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Robart tailwheel that I wish to put into a TF P-51 Gold Edition Mustang.

If you are making a list to announce when these are ready for sale, would you put me on it? I presume this will mate up to the Robart tailwheel?

Thanks,

Bob

Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How are the LADO struts in comparison to the Robarts? Any one tried both?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast