Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM
BigHog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lado retracts, do the really exist?

I check their site, I have signed up for emails for their product, but they always seem to be out of stock. Somebody tell me if trying to purchase lado retracts is equivilant to snipe hunting.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lado retracts, do the really exist?

I talked to the owner a few days ago on the phone, so I would say YES they do exist. I suggest you give them a call and ask about the stock status and future orders.

I have a set of lado's on one project and they are outstanding to say the least!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also suggest calling Doug, and make a phone order you will probably get on the back order list, I just got my second set of gear, it took a couple of months, but I was in no hurry.

there orders have over reached there production capabilities, for both of my gear sets I had to wait a couple of months to get mine but there well worth the wait, there a small little company with a hot product, I tried the wait for the gear to show up on the website method,then I just called and made a order.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set, so yes: they exist.
Took a couple of months to get them, but they are the best retracts for H-9 warbirds with rotating retracts.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I called Doug at Lado and talked to him about a set of his Lado gear for a CMP Corsair I am building. He is taking back orders and filling them as fast as he can. His product is in high demand so if you want a set call Doug at Lado and order the set you need. He will tell you it will be at least 3 to 4 weeks, but it really will more than likely be 6 to 8 weeks. I ordered a set of the 60-2T gear for my Corsair 2 weeks ago and I talked to Doug last Friday and he said it will be at least another 3 to 4 weeks[:'(] Not what I wanted to hear, but I really want this type of gear in my Corsair. Bob Hayes has a set in his Corsair and they work really good. Here is a video clip of his Lado 60-2T working.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Corsa...acts-completed
Old 02-01-2009, 05:16 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

That was awesome!
Here's another up close !! and a pic of the final install.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/lado-Retracts-wmv

I waited almost four months for these.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97043.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1125156  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 AM
G T

YES AS YOUR OTHER REPLYS STATE LADO ARE OUT THERE! DOUG HAS SUPPLYED A FEW SETS TO ME NOW AND SENT THEM OVER TO AUZZIE FOR ME . THIS GEAR IS THE REAL DEAL SO THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE WAIT. I DID HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS AS YOU HAVE (GETTING YOUR EMAILS REPLYED) THIS IS BECAUSE HE IS MAKING SUCH A GOOD PRODUCT AND THE SUPPLY IS OUT STRIPPING HIS PRODUCTION I SPOS, I HAVE JUST ABOUT FINISHED A P40 WITH A SET OF DOUGS RETRACT IN THE WING AND IT MAKES MOST OF THE OTHER STUFF LOOK LIKE TOYS WHEN YOU SEE THESE WORK SCALE LIKE.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
DirtTorpedo

I got a set in last week!

If you want a set, you should really call Doug and pre-order... you'll wait probably a month or so, he builds them in batches.. but if you order now, you'll have yours by flying weather (at least here in the north east!!!)

The quality of the retracts is superb, and when he says "drop in fit" its a DROP IN FIT, the screw holes line up perfectly and the things slipped right in under the stock wheel wells on my p-47, nu fuss, no muss... done!

I need to call him about getting a 90 degree set for my H9 spitfire.. he currently does 85 degrees for the h9 birds, but i prefer the look of a 90 degree.... dunno if he can alter the angle easily...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hats off to an american business man that is making it in these difficult times , congratulations and keep it going !!! ,
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
phatbob02

Get on Lado's email list. When a new batch is completed, you'll get an email that day, then order as fast as you can.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Michael211

I'd like to buy a set of these things for a Mustang BARF I'm working on if they ever make them again... lol! Imagine how much more popular they'd be if they took out ads in R/C Airplane magazines and the AMA Magazine? Geez! If they decide to go public and sell stock I'd sure as heck want in!!! [>:]

- Michael
Old 02-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Bob Paris

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay BigHog...
I have two sets of Lado retracts...and these are sweet. I've one set in a T.F. P-51D and one pair in a "B" conversion.
Awesome...
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 AM
datazman42

Hello All:
For thoes of you that have not found it yet, here is my review:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7999431/tm.htm]LADO Review[/link]

If you read the review, you will understand that I am a big fan of this product.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Michael211

I have a question though... how do you decide which strut diameter size to order? Is it better to go with the larger diameter strut size (since I'll have to buy new struts as well, once the LADO's are back in stock again)?

Thanks!

- Michael
Old 02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
datazman42

Michael:
I usually use Robart 650 or 653 struts and use the 3/16 inch adaptor that is included to fit the LADO 3/16 inch opening. The 3/8 inch strut fits the LADO’s perfectly. The joining wire only has to be about 2 ½ inches long and is easy to replace if need be, although I have never had to replace a joiner yet.

Does this help?
Ta Ta for now.
Paul

Name:	Zx72075.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1130373  
Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 PM
bigtim

ORIGINAL: Michael211

I have a question though... how do you decide which strut diameter size to order? Is it better to go with the larger diameter strut size (since I'll have to buy new struts as well, once the LADO's are back in stock again)?

Thanks!

- Michael
if your going to use the rotators they come with the 5/32 holes for the stock struts to fit,for these I made my own connectors and they seem fine for strength, would have prefered the 3/16 but they are not making the units now with that hole size so I ordered the ones they had at the time.

for the units that I have in my Mustang I went for the larger wire connectors, since I am using the larger Robart 662 struts and they don't use the smaller wires anyway, the smaller Robart struts come with a adaptor for each wire size.

when I made my connectors out of regular piano wire stock, I heat treated the metal after cutting for length, surprising how hard the metal gets when red hot and quenched in water or oil, it increases the brittle nature of the steel but it won't bend without alot of effort.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
phatbob02

Thanks!

- Michael
Michael,
I would always go with the 3/16" wire if I could.
I'm using Lado's 60-2T on a 15lb Corsair. With this weight I needed a Robart 660 Robo to handle it. They're rated at 18lbs. The 2T's are only available for a 5/32" wire. The 660 strut is a 3/16" wire. I thought I could drill out the retracts but there isn't enough stock at the retract trunnion. I made my own wires with a 5/32" wire and soldering a 3/16" x.014 wall brass tube over it.

Another benefit of the larger strut was the fact that the I.D. of the 660 would fit snuggly over the brass fitting on top of the lado, making for a very clean looking install.

Name:	Jh16053.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1130486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82741.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1130487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50797.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1130488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32020.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1130489  
Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM
BigHog

Thanks all for the feedback. I really want a pair for my TF .60 Corsair. I will hang in there.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
scott h

thankyou for the retro fitting info for

the robo strut as i ordered a pair from doug last week for a hanger 9 corsair.i was going to go air but thought for this size bird this is going to save a few steps building and at the feild.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigHog

Thanks all for the feedback. I really want a pair for my TF .60 Corsair. I will hang in there.
Lado REALLY needs to come out with a set of rotating retracts that accept the 3/16" diameter strut wires. The 5/32" just aren't robust enough for 10 lb aircraft (or heavier).
Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
scott h

i here you corsair jack. im putting a os 120 4 stroke in mine/ because thats the engine i have. its 32 ounces were as some put in the zenoha 20 on ei at 42 ounces i hope the 4 stroke works well. it os mounted on a down ward 45 and its not pumped. os surpass with out pump.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 AM
bigtim

from my conversations with Doug at LADO they will be doing gear in the rotators to accept the larger wires, but its going to take some work to accomodate the larger trunion and as many have noted there having trouble just keeping up with there present orders.

I think you might be surprised how strong the 5/32 wire is after tempering it, before the heating process I can bend the wire with a pair of pliars after its done, I need to put it in a vise and use a hammer to get it to bend in the slightest for a 10lb plane it would be plenty strong enough.

if you were going to use the worthless 5/32 struts H-9 offers,to connect to struts, the wire would bend every time, even after doing a heat treating mine were stiffer but are way to flexable, the wire I got from the LHS must have a high carbon content in it because there is a major difference in strength.

here is a good tutorial by Roy Viallancourt on heat treating music wire for various pourposes http://www.vaillyaviation.com/images...re%20_web_.pdf has alot of good information
Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Michael211

Good info ya'll! Many thanks!!! [8D]

I'm looking at the Lado's for a H9 Mustang BARF, 60 sized (with an RCV 90SP engine).

- Michael
Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM
bigtim

Good info ya'll! Many thanks!!! [8D]

I'm looking at the Lado's for a H9 Mustang BARF, 60 sized (with an RCV 90SP engine).

- Michael
just finished fitting my LADO's to my Hangar-9 Mustang, I did go with the larger struts so I could use the 3 1/2"Robart tires there better looking than the stock ones so I went for those.
after removing the old mech. gear and the plastic wheel wells I was surprised how much area there was in the wing, after I dropped the LADO's in literally they fit perfectly in the space in the wing, I fit and cut the struts to size, since I was using the larger struts, I had to cut the springs down to move the spring stop down enough to allow the connector to fit in the shorter tube.

I just used JB Weld to secure the adaptor in the tube and after a overnight dry reassembled the struts they don't move the full distance but the spring tension is enough so it doesnt matter, if I need more bounce I will cut the piston down for more travel, and trim another coil or 2 off the springs, but for now there fine the way they are.

I havent made the new tubs, and channels, for the wheels yet but here they are installed in the wing,they fit pretty good, and the looks are a huge improvement over the wires, the only problem is that the wheels sit just a little high in the stock configuration.

I am not planning to alter the gear mounts right now but I may in the future to get the wheels to sit lower in the wells its going to require the gear to be lowered by at least 1/8" which there is room for in the wing mount area but will require me to remove the existing rails and do some cutting, if I need to do this I will use some hardwood to replace them they dont stick out that much so I will just fly it for now.

I have a Top Flight B/C Malcom hood conversion kit to build, so these gear might make it into that project depending on how long the H-9 lastsits a great flyer and has been a trouble free plane, if the weather holds I will take it out next weekend

Name:	Ca82493.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1132533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31400.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1132534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24547.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1132535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93644.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1132536  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

I have no doubt that these are great products if you can get them. I contacted them back in September 2008 and asked about a set for my TopFlite Staggerwing. I was advised to sign up on the website for email notification when the ones I needed were in stock. I did all that and on October 1st received an email that they were available. I placed my order immediately. Since then I've been waiting... and waiting... and waiting. In December Doug himself told me that he'd shipped them and even gave me a tracking number. The USPS site said that the tracking number existed but no package was ever picked up. Doug blamed his "postal lady". Since then, I've continued to wait. When I contact him, he promises to communicate and give me updates on what to expect and never does. Pathetic customer service and a disgusting lack of integrity. I too may become a fan of this product, but I'd like to actually get my hands on it at some point in order to do so. I'd have been delighted to receive my order in a couple of months. Currently at four months, 10 days and counting. A more accurate company name would be LATE-O-Tech.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.