Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Hi,
I called Bob several years ago and at that time he had nothing left for Doss's P-51, but it's worth a call I guess.
I have the original contact info, somewhere, of Doss's son in law (IIRC) who contacted me when I was trying to find Doss, but I'm not sure it will help because my impression at the time was that the family was not interested in supporting Doss's model.
Anyway, there's people that had more contact with him than me, I talked to Doss twice before he passed away, once for over an hour, and maybe they can help.
Building his P-51 is going to be a tough nut to crack as there's no accesories available, including the landing gear and f/g parts, plus the fact that so few modelers are interested in true scale when they can get an ARF that looks pretty good for so little money it almost doesn't pay to build anymore (other than the enjoyment you get from building).
I have the plans and every so often I look at them and get the urge, then reality sets in and I roll them up and put them away.
Anyway, I was glad that I finally tracked him down and talked to him, he was a real southern gentleman.
BRG,
Jon
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

I just spent a half hour writing a posting, and due to some #$&*@(#*%!! server reset, I got some stupid "We Are Sorry" screen, and the whole fracking posting disappeared into the ether.

So I'll skip the eloquence this time, and just summarize - Doss apparently brought a P-51D to the 2006 Toledo show, which is pictured on page 60 of the Summer 2006 High Flight magazine. How come no one here ever mentioned this? Didn't anyone see it there? Did anyone talk to him at this event? I'm really PO'd about this, as I live 60 miles up the road and missed that years show...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think I posted something about Doss's plane at Toledo. His plane was positioned right across the table from mine. No I didn't talk to him unfortunately. But it was a good looking Mistang.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
RickVB

Bob, you mentioned it in the thread announcing his death, which I just found last night. Given the sometimes frantic attempts to get info, parts, kits, gear, plans, etc. on this thread, I just found it surprising no one even mentioned it here.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
BobH

Rick, as far as I know the Steed family was approached about releasing his Mustang plans etc. They declined the offer and that was that. There are some plan sets floating around because people have built them. Exactly where they are I have no idea..sorry.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
RickVB

Bob, I meant that I was surprised no one mentioned that they had seen or talked to him at the Toledo show. That was the only point of my posting. As to the parts availability, whoever the guy was that posted the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5355995/tm.htm]announcement of his death[/link] is claiming to be in the process of producing full kits, including plans, fiberglass parts, gear, etc.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
BobH

Rick, gotcha. Well if someone is producing the kit that would be great. All though when I saw Doss's Mustang it didn't jump out at me and say "BUILD ME". Perhaps it was the finish on the plane?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
A&MMODELS

I am interesting in buying the P-51 Steed Plans do you know who may have the complete set?, I have 6 sheets for the airplane and 3 more for the 3 views plus some parts for the landing gear and covers but I would like to have a complete set and build one.

Thanks
Alex
Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

H Alex. I don't have plans, but the last time I spoke to Doss, shortly before he passed, was about me building his gear. I was to get a set of his plans, but never did. He was pretty sick at the time. We spent an hour just enjoying some "old timer" talk. Do you have a set of the gear plans? Lee Robinson [email protected]
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 AM
A&MMODELS

I only have 9 sheets including the 3 views, I don't have the retracts drawings and I also have pieces for the wheel covers, retracts and one exhaust, I am thinking to make a new design base on the outlines of these plans but modified to use Robart retracts and canopy/cowl available with these changes we can build one that will have the similar characteristics of the Steed's without the issue of getting parts.

Alex
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2005 I bought a complete set of plans from Doss. After speaking with him, he said that he had a fiberglass fuse, wheels and a spinner, which I bought. This was after a few conversations about these extra parts. He was about to begin working with a gentleman to make retracts for it, maybe that was Lee. I wasn't able to get to it so I sold it all to a gentlemen in central California. I forget his name but I never heard from him again, though I was interested in seeing the completed model. I regret selling that stuff, but I hope he got it all together.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Yes, that was me. He was to send me drawings, and also some sample parts, but it never happened. I think he was just too ill to do anyrhing. I have built many P-51 sets, and have fork castings with the dual scissors attach points. Send me your enail address to [email protected] and I'll send you some pics and info. Lee
Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
A&MMODELS

Here is one picture showing the parts that I have and I will try to contact the guy that sold them to me.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24065.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1577621  
Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
CH Ignitions
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I have read, and search for those plans, I am willing to build one. If any of you guys is willing to share the drawings pleasePM me.

Thank you all in advance for help !
Adrian

Old 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
duhlving
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Steeds' Stuff P51

hey saw your communication in the thread here from a long time ago where guys were asking about doss steed's mustang gear plans and you said you had plans for shipping and copy cost. i have doss steed plans and wing ribs laser cut and would like gear plans.call me dave at 602-330-9631 so i can get together with you about details please.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
duhlving

hey rick do you still have the doss mustang? would like to talk to you soon can you call me dave at 602-330-9631
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
duhlving

saw your thread on rc universe and that you were chatting with lenny shinlin and if you can provide contact info on him i would like to contact him to get a copy of the landing gear for the doss steed mustang if poss. i have the plans for the steed mustang already. thanks dave 602-330-9631
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

Hi I just bought a Doss Mustang kit complete! I got it here on RCU it has the glass fuse and all the parts gear and all plan's and even polaroid photos of Doss's plane in his shop during the build.This was a jackpot of a find and the guy I got it from is a real nice person. It was his dads kit and was friends with Doss from what I can tell by all the suff that is here. I want to build this plane and make it the nicest possable. Can any of you guys tell me about the landing gear. I have both mains with the cylinders. They look a little weak for flying but look nice for scale displaying. Has anybody flown this plane with Doss's landing gear on it? I want to use them but Serria looks much stronger but not as scale as these.I have been thinking of building two wings one for show with the Doss gear and one for flying using Serria gear built into it. Sounds nuts but I dont want to break anything on the Doss Gear by flying them.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:04 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which reminds me, I need to order a new exhaust kit from Tony Howard for my Steed P-51D !
Economy has me almost at a stand still, esp. for the retracts and engine. Let alone the New Radio I have been wishing for...??

Not a problem, just don't want to cut loose with the bucks right now. donchakno !

Cheers

Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 AM
2009max

Dear All

I'm new in the forum, just read that some guys in the forum are building this model.
I 'm building a doss steed p51 and I'm more less finished. I can not find any information regarding the gravity center on the plans! Could anybody help me?
Thanks!!!!!!!

Best Regards
Markus
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: gear drawings

thats friekin insane , must cost some big bucks
Old 04-02-2020, 05:40 AM
duhlving

Default Doss steed p-51mustang

Originally Posted by shindin
`i have the gear drawings, if you cover copy and shipping, i'll send you the sheet.....
Lenny
Hi Dave here, can I get a copy of the gear drawings? Dave Uhlving 602 330 9631 or [email protected]. Let me know how much.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by duhlving
Hi Dave here, can I get a copy of the gear drawings? Dave Uhlving 602 330 9631 or [email protected]. Let me know how much.
Hi Dave, I have scans of all of Steed's drawings and would be happy to get a copy to you. I can either email you what you need or I can have them printed locally and you can pick them up.

Chad Veich
[email protected]