Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Old 06-08-2003, 04:58 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Has anyone built a Doss Stead P-51 or seen a built one fly? Bob Holman sells the plans for this Mustang and it is supposed to be the most accurate scale Mustang. Doss Stead draw the plans using the original P-51 files. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:23 AM
shindin
My Feedback: (5)

Default Steeds' Stuff P51

Had one of these kits, got it from a local buddy who went up and got it, and i can tell you it's about as accurate as you can get. I wound up letting it go, as it was just too much of a build for me for a Mustang.... i saw pictures of Doss' original model, and you really couldn't tell it wasn't real..... it is 92", his detailed original was forty-something pounds, i forget what he flew it with.... I still have copies of the landing gear plans sheet, and i can tell you for certain that the landing gear is as scale as it comes..... all the little brackets and such are on the plan.... i believe his gear price was around $795, but don't quote me...... i ws planning to do gear for it, but wound up letting it go to fourstroke in mo last year...... a big plus is the one pc fuse, although it does make shipping tough..... also, the plane has 22 wing ribs.... PER WING.
anyway, if i can answer any more specific questions, lmk.... i do know from looking in the past that there is no contact info on the retract plan sheet that i have....
He and Bob Holman are supposed to be buddies, I bet Bob could get you in touch....
Lenny
"shindin"
Old 06-08-2003, 10:19 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the plans for this, WOW! It shows how to build scale hinges for the inner gear doors, just to give you an idea. He seems really concerned about the gear, and the rest of the detail like the retractable doors in the back and things like that are not shown and left to the builder. Scale control surfaces are shown however. I don't like how he has the engine cooling with a hole in the bottom of the nose, I would use a duct to the back of the fuse to the radiator exit door. Robart gear or similar would be a good option, no way I'm paying $800 for a set of retracts!

Luke

Sample for ya:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84687_21604.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	49749  
Old 06-08-2003, 10:20 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Another:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84688_21604.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	49750  
Old 06-08-2003, 01:36 PM
shindin

Default yep,

that's the retract sheet i have, all the hinges, etc,. and a very "different" gear setup, although it is a little like the Byrons' landing gear....
I will probably make a set of these gear one of these days just as a display project....
Lenny
Old 06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
k_sonn

Lenny, Luke thanks for the information. I am in the information gathering stage right trying to decide if I want to build one of these.

Lenny in the next month or two I will be ordering a set of retracts and tail wheel for the Bob Holman FW 190 from you.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

Gee Kirk... I thought you weren't a Mustang guy

How's the Hellcat? Mine's been idle as I have been working on clearing the benches of a few others first.

Regards!

Paul
Old 06-09-2003, 04:56 PM
k_sonn

Paul:

My Hellcat is on hold until I finish the two Mustangs I am building for customers. I am finishing the glassing and starting the painting on the 1/7 scale one and about 85% complete with the construction on the 1/5 scale one. You know I feel about Mustangs but after looking at three views and photos for so long, I think I am begining to like the lines of the plane. The only way I would build one for me is if the lines were totally scale. I would do the Flying Undertaker scheme.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:25 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
I saw a Steed Mustang fly about 10 years ago at a warbird meet. It's the only P-51 model that looks like a P-51, it really stood out from the rest. It's got the scale laminar wing, correct shape around the nose, etc. The l/g's were a work of art. I ordered the plans and talked to Doss, he guaranteed the l/g's, if you don't like them send them back! I'm sure other retracts could be fitted in the wing, but his sure were nice! I forgot which engine it had, I would iguess one of the big glow engines, as I don't remember anything sticking out of the cowl. I was going to buy the f/g fuse and short kit from Bob Hollman, but other things got in the way and never got started with it. This thread motivated me to take another look at the plans and maybe build it this winter.
I'm not sure if Doss is still making the gear, or the f/g fuse is still available. It's too bad more of them weren't built, they're really not that difficult for an experienced scale modeler and they look "right".
Regards,
Jon
Old 06-09-2003, 07:54 PM
F106A

Hi,
I just checked with Bob Holman, the f/g fuse and short kit are no longer available, at least from him. Still not sure about the gear, I'll check into it tonight.
Jon
Old 06-10-2003, 03:27 AM
k_sonn

Jon:

I just checked with Bob Holman, the f/g fuse and short kit are no longer available, at least from him.
That sucks but it is my luck. I finally decide to build a Mustang, a plane I said I would never build for myself, and the only one that is worth building is no longer available.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:34 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Originally posted by k_sonn
Jon:

That sucks but it is my luck. I finally decide to build a Mustang, a plane I said I would never build for myself, and the only one that is worth building is no longer available.
My ears, I think they are on fire!
How you doing Kirk!

Todd
Old 06-10-2003, 03:43 AM
k_sonn

Todd:

I know, it is completely out of character for me. I do not know what I was thinking.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:44 AM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

That's ok Kirk. We forgive you.

Anyway, you have that Tempest kit just itching to be started.

Paul
Old 06-10-2003, 03:54 AM
k_sonn

Paul:

Actually, I traded the Tempest kit for a Tucano kit with a flying buddy. He wanted the Tempest kit so bad that he lured me into his kit storage room and said I could pick out any kit he had. I had been admiring his Tucano kit for a while. It is such a different looking airplane. I measured the inside of my vehicle and the wing on the Tempest was about 2 inches too long. It never ceases to amaze me how the designers create one piece wings for 96" wingspan airplanes. I guess these guys are so used to hauling their planes around in a trailer that they expect everyone else to do the same.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:34 PM
F106A

Kirk,
I'm trying to track down Doss, I know he lived around Atlanta, Ga,
to see if he has any of the f/g parts, canopy or l/g's available.
I'm sure you could shoehorn another l/g in the wing, but the other parts would be a pain to produce.
The f/g fuse would be nice, but you could still build it from the plans, but without the above pieces it would be a real project.
I'll post the info if I find out anything.
Regards,
Jon
Old 06-10-2003, 12:42 PM
shindin

Default Gear

If you can't find a set of gear to fit the wing, i have the drawings & could make a set.... wouldn't be cheap, but we could work something out....
Lenny
Old 08-05-2003, 09:50 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

How did I miss this thread??? Hope you guys are all still listening out there, 'cause I got one of these kits. Shindin, I think I bought the kit you sold to Fourstroke from him this spring. It's a Doss Steed Mustang kit, including plans, fiberglass fuse, wood, spinner and canopy. I kinda figured when I picked it up I had something special (I had never heard of this kit before reading the ad), and from what I'm reading from you guys I was right. Given that, I want to make this build something special.

Looking at the gear, I quickly came to the conclusion that the machine shop requirements will be beyond my capabilities for some time, so I'd like to purschase a set if possible. I tried to get ahold of Mr. Steed's contact info, through Fourstroke. He apparently contacted you, and told me you had come up empty as of the beginning of June. So I'm still looking for Mr. Steed. Kirk or Jon, any luck?

Also, I'm have my doubts after looking over all the plans (about 10 pages [!] if I recall) that I have all of them. Could one of you guys who are sure you have a complete copy give me a rundown on the pages so I can check?

BTW, the plans call for about a 27 lb. auw, considerably less than the forty-something earlier guess. Either he changed the design after the prototype, or he was dreaming when he wrote that on the plans.

In any case, the power plant question is high on my list of hurdles before starting this project. Sorry, but I just can't see flying a work of art like this with a silly-looking too small two bladed prop, so a four blade approaching scale size and configuration will be the plan (don't even bother to try to change my mind, I've been round and round with many about this issue several times, including Nick Ziroli). This requires massive torque, which creates size, weight and cooling problems, so it will require something special. Since I'm resigned to spending $800 on the gear, going $1500 or $2000 for the drive system doesn't seem to be out of line. I also want to avoid glow if at all possible. As I see it, there are two routes: inline two cylinders and reduction gearing systems. Ideas?

Could keep going but I guess this is plenty to chew on at this point - hopefully we can turn this into a detailed design and build thread.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:14 AM
F106A

Hi Rick,
I've got Doss's phone number, I'll try to call him tomorrow nite.
Jon
Old 08-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Rick, Mick Reeves offers, via Bob Holman, a reduction drive for the Zenoah G-62. Mick reports that it flies his 110 inch Spitfire well but that's swinging a two blader. Not sure it is enough power for your Mustang but it's a place to start. Good luck with it!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:50 PM
RickVB

Originally posted by Chad Veich
Rick, Mick Reeves offers, via Bob Holman, a reduction drive for the Zenoah G-62. Mick reports that it flies his 110 inch Spitfire well but that's swinging a two blader. Not sure it is enough power for your Mustang but it's a place to start. Good luck with it!
Seen it; seem to recall when I looked at it that it wouldn't fit; I had hoped a ZDZ 80 might since it's quite a bit narrower. I'll check again when I get back this weekend.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:36 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Any luck Jon?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:25 PM
k_sonn

Rick:

So I'm still looking for Mr. Steed. Kirk or Jon, any luck?
I have not had any luck in locating Mr. Steed or a fiberglass fuse, parts, etc. for his Mustang. If anybody gets a lead, let me know.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:14 PM
F106A

Hi everyone,
I just called Doss and was told that he has recently moved. He hasn't turned off his phone, but will probably in a couple of days and calls might be redirected to his new number. I'll try again Saturday.
k_sonn: The best we can hope for is the f/g radiator scoop, carb intake and the canopy. To the best of my knowledge he never sold the f/g fuse, Bob Holman had that made, but I might be wrong. Also, I don't think he made the retracts, I think he had them done by a machine shop. Again, I could be wrong, it's been around 15 years since I talked to him last. I know he was very disappointed that more people weren't building his model, as it was/is really scale.
I'm surprised that Doss hasn't picked up on this thread or that one of his friends has not alerted him to it. Oh well, we can only do so much.
Regards,
Jon
Old 08-09-2003, 03:26 AM
RickVB

OK, this is what I have in the way of plans:

I have erection drawings labeled "x of 6" numbers 1, 3, 4, and 5, plus one drawing with the right edge cut off (where the drawing number would be) showing all ribs, spars, and formers (2?); then I have detail drawings labled "y of 7" numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7, plus two small unnumbered drawings showing the exhaust detail and the prop and spinner. I know I'm missing the main gear drawings, because I have nothing covering that, but I have a bad feeling I'm missing something more here; can someone with a full set please verify?

Also, I checked the fuselage measurement 6 inches back from the nose, and it's pretty close to 7 inches wide at the critical area. This eliminates the G62 from consideration, since I believe it's more than 4" wide from the centerline to outside the carb. So the search for an adequate powerplant continues...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.