Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Glow Fuel Proofing Latex Paint

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Glow Fuel Proofing Latex Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glow Fuel Proofing Latex Paint

What is the best way to get a semi gloss, or matte, finish that is glow fuel proof over latex paint? Considering using latex on my B-17.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glow Fuel Proofing Latex Paint

I have used polyurethane both water and oil based over latex with good results. Just make sure the latex is fully cured before applying poly (3-4 weeks) otherwise the latex will never completely dry/cure.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

LUSTERCOTE available at the local hobby shop
flat or gloss
spray can
no clean up
cheap
I used it for years
Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 PM
TLH101

I have read on these forums, that Polyurethane will yellow over time, due to sunlight. Does it?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 PM
TLH101

Not sure I want to paint a 10ft w/s model, with spray cans.[]
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

yes it will yellow over time
As for painting a 10 ft span with spray can
I dont go for a heavy coat when i fuel proof usually a very light coat
all I want to do is fuel proof it
but
its really up to you and what your comfortable with
Are you going to the Bomber field warbird in June?
if so
lets look each other up.
Hellcat
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: TLH101

I have read on these forums, that Polyurethane will yellow over time, due to sunlight. Does it?
as a painting contractor in Ca. here's what I do know, I am sure there is alot more info out there as well.

oil based polyurethane does yellow in the sun over time, the exterior less than the interior version, since the ext. contains UV blockers in its formula for durability outside, what actually yellows is the resins in the material, its available in brushable form, or spray cans.

water based urathanes do not yellow in the sun but,
most water based urethanes will soften with exposure to fuel and residue after a few hours of sitting if not cleaned up, the exeption is WB Poly thats intended to be used for bar tops since its formulated to be alcohol resistant, Varathane makes a product called Diamond finish that is alcohol resistant and after exposing it to fuel it seems to work well after its been let to cure, at least 2 weeks, I haven't let it sit over night but after a couple of hours it seems to hold up well as a clear coat, before I let fuel sit on it the plane sat for several months.
the Varathane Diamond finish is the material that I have been using for glassing my projects,I clear coated my spitfire with it and its held up so far, it also available in brushable, and spray cans as well.

both the oil based, and water based poly in the brushable version, can be sprayed out of a HVLP gun, or airbrush of course.

another alternative paint product, which I have pretty much switched to for painting my models is warbirdcolors paints http://www.warbirdcolors.com/usa_home.asp so far I have been happy with the results, with a small learning curve in spraying the material.
I am sure you have read some postings on the product, but briefly its a catalized water based polyurathane paint, adding the catalyst/crosslinker causes the paint to become fuel resistant to 15% nitro, has several authentic color palettes, allied,axis,etc.... http://www.warbirdcolors.com/usa_home.asp

it has a quite high spread rate, doesn't need alot of paint to cover the area, I use a large syringe to messure only the amount of paint I need to spray a particular area at one time, and only catalize the material I will use in that small amount of time, about a 1/2 hour, the material is not the cheapest but it goes a long way if used sparingly, the colors cover quite well after just a few coats,the clear builds up nicely as well when I order it I try to build up a large list of material so it cuts down on shipping one can at a time can be a bit expensive,I am building up a fairly large collection of colors, next will be the colors for my FW190A8 I am building now.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lacquer and epoxy based clears can also "yellow" over time. There are some "clear" water base polys out there available in quarts that can be sprayed. (not that I'm trying to sell you on poly, just suggesting it) But it's some tough stuff, although it's hard to find anything flater than a satin finish.

Nelson Hobby supplies a Flat clear water base poly with available cross linker to make it fuel proof up to 50% nitro. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's very good stuff but abit pricey. www.nelsonhobby.com
Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Nelson, good stuff!
Aaron D.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish is a crystal clear, fast-drying protective topcoat for use over bare wood, oil- and water-based stains, paint and wallpaper. It has very little odor, is non-flammable, cleans up easily with soap and water, and can be recoated in only 2 hours. Minwax Polycrylic resists damage from abrasion, scuffing, chipping, water, alcohol and other common household chemicals.