RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Fokker DR-1 with Saito FG-36, 1/4 Scale Balsa USA

Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Fokker DR-1 with Saito FG-36, 1/4 Scale Balsa USA

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Would it work to add Nelsons cross linker to the Behr latex to make it more fuel proof? I have some of that laying around. Also do you filter the paint when filling your spray gun?
Vertical,

Nelson paint is a Urethane based chemistry. Their literature does not say for sure, but given the low toxicity they promote I believe that their cross linker is an MDI base versus a TDI which is a very toxic Isocyanate. None of these chemistries have anything to do with Latex that I know of. So I don't see why you would stick it in the BEHR Latex other than to contaminate a perfectly good paint that works so well. Leo
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good Leo. I just picked up the same aircraft someone was in the process of redoing. He had the Glenn Torrence Cowl and suspension landing gear kit, but I think I will just put it back together without the scale mods. I want a fun, throw around plane and I have my 1/3scale DVI for scale flying. If you are interested in the GTM cowl, leather package and landing gear pieces, let me know. I'm not going to use them.

I hope you put us on your calendar this year. We are going to have another great time at ODP 09.

Are you going to Joe Nall? If so, I will see you down there.

Joe
Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joe,

Zach and I plan to attend the Ohio Dawn Patrol this year. We are really looking forward to it. Lord willing, we will be bringing down 3 Fokkers. A DR-1, DVII, and DVIII. We believe it's going to be a great event and we're hoping it grows for you.

Don't know if I will make the Joe Nall or not. I'm getting dual knee replacement April 13th and the Nall is only 4 weeks out post surgery. So it all depend on how far I can walk by that time and if I am able to drive. I would love to spend some rehab time in S.C. so if I can go I will.

I'll pass on the scale parts. This Fokker DR-1 is not a scale competition scale airplane at all. This is going to be a nice fun scale machine that hopefully will just be a good kick-around airplane to have in the arsenal. Leo
Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to add that I had a shocked gear on my DR1 for a few years and removed it. I could just never get it to handle well. I prefer to just have it rigid. I did the same on my DVII. as soon as I took the shocked gear out of the DVII, I was able to nail the landings everytime. I tried tensioning them many ways and I have just found with these top heavy birds I prefer to have the gear stiff.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, even if you can't fly....sitting around at Joe Nall would at least make you feel good after surgery. Hope you feel well enough to make it.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The key to having bungee gear on WWI planes is to have it very stiff. If it gives too much then handling is a problem. Tension the bungee about as tight as you can manage and it works great
Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sprayed the light blue on the bottom tonight. Lichtblau RLM 76. I don't know what year Germany standardized colors but this at least is a German color even if it is not what they had in 1917. Who knows what the colors really looked like anyway. The paint mix is working beautifully at 2 parts latex paint to 1 part window washer fluid. Great stuff to spray!

I will paint a few colors here over the next 2 weeks, but then I will have to stop for 1 to 2 months because I am getting double knee replacement. That is going to take me out of action for awhile as I focus on rehabilitation. I don't know at this point when I will be able to make it back into the basement. We will see. Leo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58026.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1168921  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 AM
gicosakro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hallo and Salut from Romania ,I have a Fokker from Fair, just four flights and I love it! Mine is with OS FS 200S.
Here is my last flyght when I experience the dead stick landing !Huuhhh that was hard!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLo6bm536Nc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41502.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1206966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40623.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1206967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30059.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1206968  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
kahloq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Spychalla Aircraft

Sprayed the light blue on the bottom tonight. Lichtblau RLM 76. I don't know what year Germany standardized colors but this at least is a German color even if it is not what they had in 1917. Who knows what the colors really looked like anyway. The paint mix is working beautifully at 2 parts latex paint to 1 part window washer fluid. Great stuff to spray!

I will paint a few colors here over the next 2 weeks, but then I will have to stop for 1 to 2 months because I am getting double knee replacement. That is going to take me out of action for awhile as I focus on rehabilitation. I don't know at this point when I will be able to make it back into the basement. We will see. Leo
I have used the Behr exterior latex paint on several planes including a KMP Me-109 and KMP B-25. I did have them color match some paint to the RLM 76 light blue for the underside of the wing for the 109 and it looked perfect. It also doesnt seem to be bothered much by glow fuel residue. I have also overcoated areas with Lustrakote flat clear and it did not cause any cracking or yellowing of the Behr paint once dried. The Lustrakote flat clear does seem to add a shine though, but you could probably sand it ever so slightly.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spychalla Aircraft:

How's progress on the DR-1?

I like your thinking on the power choice- a big engine turning a large, fine pitch prop so the airplane looks better and flies at realistic speeds. The numbers on the FG-36 indicate you'll have about 47mph and over 20 pounds of thrust with the bench mark 18x6 prop.

I'm really thinking about getting one of the kits, as I have an unemployed OS 120AX. The performance on that 2 stroker glow is almost identical to the FG 36 - just not quite the torque, so I'll probably end up with an 18x5.

I have the pic of the unpainted bird as my desktop background. Lovely. My hats off to Ray. I can stare at that framework for hours.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Back on Klimke Fokker DR-1 after 9 years

It's been 9 years, 2 new knees, a divorce, a marriage, moved 3 times, sold 2 houses, had a house built, 2 new churches, 2 new jobs, but I still have the same Fokker DR-1 airplane project! "I am living a dream!"

Time in the shop yesterday. Worked on a 1/4th scale German Fokker DR-1 Triplane. It is time to paint. I have chosen to do the paint scheme of Rudolph Klimke, a lesser known ace who survived the war with 17 victories. I have asked around with my modeling community on how to do a dry brushed streaked camouflage. Nobody could help me. So I had to create my own technique. I practiced on cardboard painting latex with a light tan color (sandgelb) and while it is still wet I put lines of Olive Green (olivgrun) over the top. Then I take a dry brush and drag it through the paint to spread it out and go for the effect. The results are ugly which is fantastic. Sometimes ugly is beautiful. Leo

Last edited by Spychalla Aircraft; 04-30-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice work Leo. It is been a number of years since I saw it but I would bet the video is still on you tube. It shows a worker standing in front of what is presumably a Fokker wing with a can of dope and a four inch brush. The story goes that the guy would load his brush and go till it started to dry out and then he would load the brush again. This produced the irregular streaky finish.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:47 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like it ! get this baby in the air !
Old 05-05-2018, 04:04 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shot some yellow this week on the Fokker DR-1 parts. It is a German color called GELB RLM04. I spray latex thinned about 15% with window washer fluid through an automotive gun. I put a SEM white primer under the yellow to make the color pop as yellows typically have very bad pigment cover. Such a nice finish. The next challenge I have is to make some graphics that are this yellow color. I plan to try scuffing some white vinyl and painting the sheet with the yellow latex. Then I am going to put it on the graphics cutter and see if it will cut the painted vinyl? If it does, then I will have a whole new method of decorating an airplane with color correct flat graphics that are stuck on versus painted on. We will see. Leo

Last edited by Spychalla Aircraft; 05-05-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:35 PM
dogs4dux

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for info

Spy, Great looking plane, I have what i believe to be a BUSA DR1 that i got from a club member's family, I am missing the top wing mount, and the cowl. Is the top wing mount a kit item or do you have to bend that piece? If you made it would you mind giving me some measurements? If its a kit item maybe i can get one from BUSA.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2018, 02:17 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dogs4dux, The top wing mount is a kit item. Just call Balsa USA and they? will forward you to Dave who pulls kit parts for people and gives you a price. He will know just what you need. In addition to the bent wires and the flat plates that you will solder to, make sure you get some of the hardwood "pine" strut covers for the wire. Leo
Old 05-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cutting my own graphics now. I bought a Graphtech 2000 which cuts nicely off ACAD files that I draw up. It is going quite well. They are shiny at the moment, but I will be spraying them with an over-coat of dead-flat clear Acrylic when I am done. I love the contrasting colors! The Anchor is a good luck charm that Rudolph Klimke put on his airplane to please his mom. It must have worked because he survived the war. Leo

Last edited by Spychalla Aircraft; 05-14-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:08 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I cut latex painted vinyl today. A scuff of the vinyl is required to get good adhesion. Matching the vinyl to the top coat color is advised versus white so that you don't see the edge. Klimke applied the Anchor mid-WWI so it went over the top of the DR.1 serial number. Leo