Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 55 of 75 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1855

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Had our local expert pilot maiden flight my Bluenose today at 11.8 lbs, 125Saito with a 15x8 MA prop , Robart Retracts and Robo-Struts, it flew great with a little up trim on the Elevator , didn't use flaps or retract the gear I will fly it tommorrow for that, I used a Dubro Tail wheel on the rudder , instead of the kit set up and it worked well. I flew my Miss America all day m but tomomorrow wil be all Bluenose ..................... ZDS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Happy to hear about your Bluenose first flight!!! Have fun tomorrow with her!!!

Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks ,,,,,it was great to get this airplane off the ground ,,,,I flew my Miss America all day while most of our club guys were preparing the Santa Maria Tri Valley Flyers air field for a Imac meet the next week ....................unfortunately the Saito 100 in the Miss Americabroke the exhuast manifold at the theads on the cylinder head side ,,,I have had this happen 3 times I think I have to secure and soppot the muffler it must vibrate the header and crack over time ,

One thing I must pass on .........if you are building the Bluenose P51 balance it at 4.5 inches, I did this by strapping to 6 volt battery packs (2300 & 2700 JR "s) just in front of the fire wall srapped under the engine mounting box. It balances perfectly with a 15 X 8 prop...................this way you get extended battery time and CG balance too............2 b1rd's for one.

ZDS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone else flown one of the improved Bluenose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first flights with the Improved Bluesnose went great, 6 flights great performance no issues ,last landing I let the speed get too low so I got a litlle bounce . The Robarts work great ,,,I also have the same ones on my Miss America. I started with a 15X8 MA Prop , but it seemed slow , I changed to a 16 X8 and that really made  a big difference,,,,,,,,,,,fasssster !!

zds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

zds1;

Glad to hear you had a great day with your Blue Nose P-51!!! It is always good to hear a good report like this.
    Thanks for sharing!!!

Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

H9 Bluenose P51 is a challenge to build because you have to correct alot of poor design and cheap hardware. The new version of the kit though it has some lightening features , the landing gear is troublesome , and the Robart system saves weight , and functions must better. The biggest and most important mod is reinforcing the landing gear mounting blocks, this makes the gear capable of sustaing a pretty hard landing which my sixth flight ended with , but it didn't hurt damage anything . This is a really good looking airplane if flight and the saito 125 with a 16x8 prop moves it pretty fast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Radio ...............Spectrum DX7
    Recever Batterys
    1ea. 2700 ma 6v
    1ea. 2300 ma 6v
    both mounted forward of the fire wall under the engine mount box.
    CG....................4.5"
    weight ..............11.8 lbs
    Saito -125
    Fuel ..................30/30 % Cool Power Heli
    Prop....16 X 8 Master Air Screw
    Robart Retracts with 3/8" Robo Strutsm and Robart tires & wheels
    Most imortant .....No more than 1/2" elevator throw.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is encouraging to hear!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, I am almost done with my build and was putting on the elevator and noticed an issue.... the front of the elevator during gluing kind of pulled away very slightly and I did not correct it before the epoxy was fully hardened. Is this a issue or should it be ok? Also I have the β€œolder version blue nose and the newer one and decided to first build the older version. Is there that much of a difference besides the lb’s?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca82057.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	843.2 KB 
ID:	1482513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk27227.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	843.2 KB 
ID:	1482514  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Honor 50,

First of all a nomenclature correction. That's the horizontal stab you are addressing here, not the elevator.

I would fill the gap with microballoons and epoxy, and cover it with strips of covering material to hide it. Should be good to go for strength.
    Glider junkies creed: No glider, no lift, no reason to live.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zds1;
    Why two big batteries? You are using a glow engine and pneumatic retracts. Do you feel it is necessary 5000 mA (2700 + 2300)?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

God lol i get one word wrong and someone starts correcting me with an attitude... i am a younger person to this hobby and some of the older guys really are not helpful to us at all... it happens at the hobby store and at the field all the time... i am sorry i said "elevator". Anyway the pic i posted is an extreme close up and not as bad as it looks... i can't fit micro-balloons and epoxy,the gap is way to small and has epoxy already filled in it. i was just curious about it hindering the mustang in flight , the strength of the bond is not an issue.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Honor 50,

Now you know the difference between "horizontal stabilizer" and "elevator", and you will impress all your friends with your ability to distinguish the two. You should thank me. (Yes, I'm chuckling here. No offense intended or taken. I get corrected all the time in these forums, and I've been at this for forty years now.)

As for the small gap, if the epoxy filled it, it's too small to worry about. The carbon joiner rods take most of the bending loads. Fly and have fun!
    Glider junkies creed: No glider, no lift, no reason to live.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can always use a heat gun and heat up the area. The epoxy will soften enough to place it properly. The downside is it will melt covering before it's hot enough. I have done this on more a few planes and always works great even if the epoxy has sat for a year.

Just a thought..

Shane
    Colorado-rc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dgliderguy

First of all a nomenclature correction.

Whats a "nomenclature"? I dont think my plane has one. Do you have a photo?

SR
    120\" ASM B-17G, WingSpan Models 1/9th Scale B-17G, TopFlite B-25 Mitchell, 95\" ESM B-25, TopFlite Cessna 182,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HONOR50

Hey guys, I am almost done with my build and was putting on the horrizontal stab and noticed an issue.... the front of the horrizontal stab during gluing kind of pulled away very slightly and I did not correct it before the epoxy was fully hardened. Is this a issue or should it be ok? Also I have the β€œolder version blue nose and the newer one and decided to first build the older version. Is there that much of a difference besides the lb’s?

Check to see if it moves back and forth first. You really dont want that. If it moves you will want to use a hard filler to fill the gap. Thats a pretty small gap so I wouldnt stress too much over it. Fill it with epoxy and clean it up with alcohol. Dont use covering strips to try to hide it. The strips, if you could find any, would be ugly and noticeable. Dont heat it. It will destroy the covering.

You were the guy all of us were looking for BTW. Both planes and a scale would have been perfect to find out the differences in the plane. It would be hard to do now that you have started the build. So you had the answer to your own question and ours.

Keep in mind that a large portion of the folks in RC in general are engineers or at least have some sort of higher edumakation level which leads them to the hobby so they can design, manufacture, build, test and use there product and skills. Im one of "those guys" so I can tell you this. (I have 5 engineering degrees and a MD ). Some mean disrespect but 99% of us dont. Its just how we are. I do leave my my articulate language at the house when I fly at the field or chat on the forms. I prefer " I glued the thing to the other thing" or "Son, could you come help me, I superglued both my hands to my plane again." Also, you can always edit your posts and no one will know what the other guy was talking about. Try it.

I also noticed that you are not using capital letters, proper punctuation and your sentances are mostly run ons. This is unacceptable. Without it, your plane will never fly correctly. LOL

SR
    120\" ASM B-17G, WingSpan Models 1/9th Scale B-17G, TopFlite B-25 Mitchell, 95\" ESM B-25, TopFlite Cessna 182,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The weight I saved using the Robart Retracts made the airplane very tail heavy , so when I added weight to the nose I wanted it to be usefull m the to battery packs gave me a perfect cg AT 4.5"  11.8 LBS..........................2BIRD'S WITH ONE sTONE.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i agreeif you need to add weightmake it working weight not dead weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quick question.

What are you using to glue the hinges.
    Manual says Hinge glue.
    LHS recommended canopy glue.
    At the club 5 min epoxy,

Confusing to a newbie.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi HONOR 50
    you say you have both versions, could you take a few pictures of any obvious differences between them, especially if you can see a diff around the undercarriage area and lightening holes in general,

there is a lot of info in these threads, a lot of bad news as well, the Blue Nose is not a model to fly without experience, warbirds in general are different to fly, a lot more twitchy on elevators, different to take off and land C of G is very important,
    a lot of us have had one and they died, various different reasons, mine was because the throttle linkage came apart and the engine went back to idle, I nearly cleared the trees.
    I thought the model was a beauty, I liked it, it looked good and flew well, but be careful it can bite, too much elevator and it will drop a wing and spin, it happens fast.
    one of the previous threads said half an inch MAX throw for elevators, I would say that is for high rates, less than that for low rates 3/8 of an inch.
    the model is a bit heavy, but flies accordingly, beautiful to land with full flaps.

I am still planning on getting a replacement, they are not available in Australia as yet, MIGHT be September I have been told.

happy flying, Oldtimer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't have alot of expierience, I started with the H9 PTSP51 , crashed a couple of those , then I got a Miss America, and have had it for 5 years , I have not got alot of time flying but I am very comfortable flying Miss America, and it gave me confidence to go on to the Bluenose ,,,,,,,,which is very more Scale like to fly , you must have a long roll on take off and a scale like climb out . After that it is a dream to fly ,,,,,very much more stable than Miss America.........and your right it looks so nice in flight .

Here is what I know on the construction of both the initial kit and the new one: The new kit has some lightening features in the wing root first rib has pretty large cut out holes, the Canopy has some lightening holes in the base flange , and some in the bulkheads, I dont think these features amount to more than 4to 5 ouunces. Here is whaat I don't understand they did absolutely nothing to reinforce the langing gear mounting blocks in the wings. I had ordered a spare wing set when I bought the first Bluenose so while I was waiting through all those delays for the second one , I renforce the wing and landing gear mounting blocks , and installed a set of Robart retracts , and 3/8" Robo-Struts (installed retract servo ,control valve , and air tank in the canopy it's almost on the CG) ,,,,,,,,,,,,this saved the weight of a servo , and the heavier kit supplied retracts ,,,,,,,,,,,,this is why I had to put two transmitter batteries forward of the fire wall. Also throw the wheels and tires from this kit in the trash ,they are defective , the wheels will disintigaterin fuelvapor, use any correct size (3 1/4") Robart wheels and tires.

CGis best balanced at 4.5" aft of the leading edge as measured next to the fuesalage , and most important , the Elevator throw should be not more than 1/2" ..............these parameters have been well discussed and they are what I used and worked well. My Bluenose is between 11.6 and 11.8 pounds.

This web sight has all the information for this plane but you have to jump around a bit. Building RC airplanes is a tinkers trade , and this one requires alot of tinkering , but as others have said if you get these main items right this is a great plane .

I am not good at putting pictures on this site ..............but I will try............

ZDS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hinge glue.
    Turns out it has the same smell taste and texture as Elmers Wood Glue......haha
    AMA 908262
    Club Saito 622

One Trick Pony

"Yes, but can you do it upside down, backwards, and with your hair on fire"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi tonidanbv,
    hinges, they can be a pain to get straight, after a few years I usually use epoxy, for the metal and plastic types, the Sig easy hinges, CA works fine for them, the Foam Safe CA takes longer to go off, gives more time to set everything up.

happy flying, Oldtimer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This thread hasn't had any good action shots for a while, so here's one of mine from yesterday. Just about to touch down on the mains for landing...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great shot, RodanAZ!!! Now you done it. I have to buy one more!!!!
    Thanks for the action shot!!! Bird look good!!!!

Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Page 55 of 75 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast