Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 63 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1982

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Well, I'm finally done tinkering with this plane, it is finally a reliable consistent flyer. I changed the fuel tubing and filed the burs off of the metal tubes coming out of the tank, that was part of the problem I was having such bad engine runs it was cutting smallholes in my fuel lines! I also cut the servo tray and lowered my fuel tank by 2". That was only possible because of the extra box I built under the original motor box to mount my in-cowl muffler. The O.S..75 runs great with a 14x8 prop, it fliesso good now I'm not changing anything, well anything else! I probably cut to big ofa hole in the cowl for cooling, but I'll get another one and seeif the stock hole works now. Anyway, here are some flight shots for inspiration, notice the tail wheel in the shot of it flying away, no photoshop here!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	By76256.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	1531363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98813.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	1531364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om34487.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	1531365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79532.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	1531366  
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet"
    --Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great job dionysusbacchus,..

I am having problems with my blue nose. Problems from the wheels coming off and disintegrating on take off to engine pulling to the left. This is my biggest problem. I have an OS 95AX and she seems to pull hard,,...REALLY hard to the left during take off. So hard that I can't seem to get her off the runway and in the air. My engine is mounted sideways. I see yours is mounted inverted. Does your engine pull to the left as well ? I am literally giving up on this plane. I can't take any more disappointments. Maybe you can give me some hope with your input. You think if I mount the engine inverted, it will still pull to the left ? Thanks ! !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One other thing I forgot to ask you. Does your engine idle correctly. I heard that they don't idle right inverted?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyboy0608

Great job dionysusbacchus,..

I am having problems with my blue nose. Problems from the wheels coming off and disintegrating on take off to engine pulling to the left. This is my biggest problem. I have an OS 95AX and she seems to pull hard,,...REALLY hard to the left during take off. So hard that I can't seem to get her off the runway and in the air. My engine is mounted sideways. I see yours is mounted inverted. Does your engine pull to the left as well ? I am literally giving up on this plane. I can't take any more disappointments. Maybe you can give me some hope with your input. You think if I mount the engine inverted, it will still pull to the left ? Thanks ! !

One other thing I forgot to ask you. Does your engine idle correctly. I heard that they don't idle right inverted?

Thanks flyboy! I understand your frustrations, when I build a plane I control everything, but when I assemble an ARF you expect the designers to do all that work for you so that you have a reliable working product. This one does not fill those requirements in my opinion, I love the way it flies, but I would feel ripped off if I paid $319 for this thing. I picked mine up new in the box from a local club member for $150, I heard all the problems but with the price less than a kit I figured it would be worth the trouble to fix it. It almost wasn't worth it! Sorry to be negative, but man get the basics right!

Now my opinion on your problems. Get rid of the wheels, all of my Hangar 9 wheels disintegrated. The stock rudder throw is not enough, in even a slight cross wind from the left (when taking-0ffright to left)my Blue Nose will set acourse straight for iteven withfull right rudder. I have a wide runway so I just let it go in those situations,but definitely increase the rudder throw. Do your wheels have any toe in or toe out? I always mount them with a very slight toe in for better tracking.

No,inverted mounting will not change the torque effect. And yes my engine finallyruns great, idles andhas asmooth transition, BUT only after fixing my fuel tank problems. Mounting yourengine inverted in the plane would open up a whole new can of worms, so leaveit asis.

On the CofG issue, I've been moving mine back and it has really helped, it is probably just a hair aft of the stock location. Before when I took all the advice to make it nose heavy adding a ton of lead to the nose there was no way I couldfly off of grass and even on pavement I would have to use up elevator to keep it from nosing over on my take-off roll.

--Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the input,...I understand that the torque problem will still be there even inverted. How much does yours torque ? I can barely pick up speed without running off the run way.

So you mean to tell me that when you dropped your tank, your engine idles fine now. Did that do it ??

Also,....I am thinking of selling my OS95AX and buying the SATO 4 stroke it is designed to have. Does this SATO 4 stroke torque to the left also. I have some planes that do this but this one really torques left hard.

I too could not get this plane in the air on grass. It kept tipping over. But that is another problem and the least of my worries now. Don't know what to do, the wheels is an easy fix but it is the torque problem that really frustrates me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyboy0608

Thanks for the input,...I understand that the torque problem will still be there even inverted. How much does yours torque ? I can barely pick up speed without running off the run way.

So you mean to tell me that when you dropped your tank, your engine idles fine now. Did that do it ??

Also,....I am thinking of selling my OS95AX and buying the SATO 4 stroke it is designed to have. Does this SATO 4 stroke torque to the left also. I have some planes that do this but this one really torques left hard.

I too could not get this plane in the air on grass. It kept tipping over. But that is another problem and the least of my worries now. Don't know what to do, the wheels is an easy fix but it is the torque problem that really frustrates me.

I actually sounds like your torque problem is being caused by something else, like gear leg twisting or something, it would be hard for me to figure out without flying it myself.

Yes, after dropping the tank my engine runs perfect now, I have complete confidence in it's operation. Before it would run fine when I had the plane inverted, but the minute I turned it over it would not transition well and would quit if you let it idle to long.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

--Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flyboy.

You have somethng else that is causing your plane to NOT run straight down the runway. The effect of the engine will not pull it that hard to the left. You need to inspect all wheels make sure they are pointed straight and nothing is loose in the landing gear.

One way to see what the plane will do, is to turn on Tx & Rx, then make sure all servos are in neutral position as if you were going to take off. Do not start the engine, keep the engine off. Now push the plane forward to see how it tracks down the centerline. Do not touch any of your sticks (rudder especially). Make sure you test your airplane on SMOOTH concrete. You do not want anything on the surface to alter your tests. Your plane should track straight down the runway/centerline. If your plane veers hard to the left, you need to start looking at the items mentioned above to find the problem.

Mike

Let us know what you find.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks ALWAYSPDG,

I will check all you have said and see what happens. I will let you know what i find.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    Nice pictures, do you have the servos fastened by only 2 screws?? I bought the HS75BB but there is about 2mm short between the holes! Have not figured out how to fix it!

krokko
    fly and let fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This angle shows what looks like significant wash in.

It won't hurt the cruise or top speed but it will increase the tendency to snap, like on final and high G turns.

It'd be worth a look in the flesh, as pictures can lie.

Name:	Pm34854.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	1534092  
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: da Rock

This angle shows what looks like significant wash in.

It won't hurt the cruise or top speed but it will increase the tendency to snap, like on final and high G turns.

It'd be worth a look in the flesh, as pictures can lie.

It is an optical illusion, I've studied the wing quite a bit and it is perfectly straight, no wash -out or wash-in. I'm actually very happy with the flight characteristics, I can consistently land on the numbers every time and it slows down just fine with the flaps. I must have at least60 flights on it now, I flew everydayfor 4 days through Thanksgiving.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

After studying the pictures I believe you came out with a very nice solution. I have a hard time finding brass rods fitting the purpose, I might use iron instead. What dimensions did you use on the brass piece?

regards/krokko
    fly and let fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

............flying with a more AFT CG helps the ground handling even more. Just tune elevator throw to match (less throw) and it'll handle better on the ground than in the air (tip stalls cause less problems on the ground ) It also helps the flying and in fact since it'd be flying with less drag part of the flying help is less apt to high speed stall.

I probably ought to explain that before somebody starts doing back flips and goes looking for the flamethrower.

A more aft CG with an appropriately adjusted elevator reduces the wing loading, especially when pulling Gs. Less wing loading, less apt to ''overload'' the tips. And the real benefit is the 2nd part of the equation, adjusting the elevator throw to match. Since few modelers tune that sucker at all, there is a lot better probability you'll not have too much or too little throw for the CG. Both of them increase the probability of tip stalling.

Do I still smell smoke?

I have a nose over on taxi problem. What is the balance point you ended up with. The manule recomends
    4 7/8" back from the leading edge. the range is 4 5/8" to 5". Mine is ballanced at the recomended 4 7/8". How far aft CG can one go before it becomes to eratic to fly? Also I have the wheels tipped out by placing .270" under the rear attach point of the retract where U placed the sheet metal screws. This pushes the wheels out in front of the leading when viewed from above by about 1/2". I still noses over on grass.
    Also define "Tuneing the Elevator" if U would please.
    Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So here is my story.
    Bought the ARF last Christmas. Never built it and in mid year decided to buy it already buil . Came with battery no receiver. Checked it out except for crosschecking the battery. Took it to the field. Friend of mine maiden it for me. flys beautifull.. Few minutes in to the flight he hands the controller to me .I fly 30 seconds and the plane stops responding. Game over.
    Post crash analysis reveals a 4.8 2200 mah battery. To litmay servos.
    Despite going in nose first from about 200 feet engine and electronics are intact except for the throttle servo which needed gear replaced.
    Heartbroken I rebuilt the whole thing from the old box( I was supposed to sell it per wife. good thing I did not.
    Took it out to the field a couple of weeks ago and let my buddy maidenit. Flys great with a 6 V battery .
    Here are some pics.

Name:	Om33262.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1537212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27602.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1537213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36448.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1537214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79647.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	1537215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch97389.jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	1537216  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: i7x58

Here areΒ* some of the pictures of my retract and winng .
    I had a little issue with the wings.When I incert ceter tube ,the wing had like 10-12 mm gap. I was able to fix that in the old cowboy way... I apllied a little ''TLC '' by tapping eith a small hamer the tube.after that all went fine. I was able to fix the gap.
    On the wings as you can see I have some ripples/ waives on the ultracote. How do I fix that.I do not think that ....hamer will do it. (-
    On servo retracts I wsed Hitec Like all my servo. I am waiting for hitec Β*Aurora 9, 9Ch that is still backordered and FG20 that is in same status.
    I had Hs 75bb and JR t88 retracts mounted side by side,I seen that HS75 had more power and it operates better.
    here are my pictures ,fell free to comment.

Hi!
    I did the job as you described and it seem to be OK, just waiting for a servo extension cabel doing the reverse on one servo. A Q: I'm installing two DS821 for the flaps. Just realised that I also need to reverse one of them to get it working. Have I done somethihg wrong, or am I supposed two reverse one them servos also.....??
    Rgds/krokko
    fly and let fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey FlyBoy.

What did you find out regarding your plane veering off the runway so badly? Did you do the test as I suggested to you? I am just curious to find out, if you found the problem(s).

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey ALWAYSPDG,

I have not taken the plane out any more since we last spoke. I am going to get new wheels today since the H9 wheels disintegrated and cause the plane to go into the grass during take off and that damaged the wheel covers. ( they don't sell those separately so I have to try and make them from light wood). I will probably take the plane out again after the holidays. I will let you know. till then, merry Christmas and happy new year to you my friend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi flyboy.

Ok, good luck with your repairs hope they turn out nicely. Please let us know what you find once you do your testing. I suspect that your plane will not track straight once you push it forward on a smooth surface.

Have a great holiday and a Happy New Year.

It has just been raining here for days now, very unusual for Calif!!! Weather has NOT been good for RC outdoor fun. Oh well, supposed to STOP raining tomorrow

TTYL,

Mike

Hi Krokko,

Can you put couple pictures, I need a big refresh. I did that long time ago....Not that the plane in ready, It is still on back burner waiting for it's time to come.
    What servos did you install for retracts?
    All my servos are hitec, HS5485HB and retracts HS75BB. For the flaps I program one of the servos in reverse.

I still work on retracts, I modified the hole thing. I made my own oleo, took a mold from the wing and did the gear doors to look like scale, and that was before summer. After that I star to mod. and convert couple engines from glow to gas. On the FG 20 I addapted a walbro carb and works great. I work now the same thing on FA125. I have a little issue with the carbureator mount.
    I will get back to Blue Nose after january.

Adrian
    www.ch-ignitions.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: i7x58

Hi Krokko,

Can you put couple pictures, I need a big refresh. I did that long time ago....Not that the plane in ready, It is still on back burner waiting for it's time to come.
    What servos did you install for retracts?
    All my servos are hitec, HS5485HB and retracts HS75BB.Β* For the flaps I program one of the servos in reverse.

I still work on retracts, I modified the hole thing. I made my own oleo, took a mold from the wing and did the gear doors to look like scale, and that was before summer. After that I star to mod. and convert couple engines from glow to gas. On the FG 20 I addapted a walbro carb and works great. I work now the same thing on FA125. I have a little issue with the carbureator mount.
    I will get back to Blue Nose after january.

Adrian
    OK, got the answer, reversed on both retracts and flaps! Bought a couple of extension cables with a reversing chip on. Will post pictures later. A bit confused over the discussions on the Spectrum DS821 digital servos. Seem like people dont trust them..... I bought 7 of them and intend to install them, guess that I dont have the same vibration problems as choppers with the engine on full revs all the time.....hope for the best..

/krokko
    fly and let fly!

Make a brass plate, drill 2 holes in it. Fasten the servo with the normal screws andthe other2 on the brass plate. Look more at the picture.

Adrian
    www.ch-ignitions.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to share with you my experience building thisaeroplane which is by far the worse ARF I built, for the money. It is a shame Ididn’t see this thread before purchasing the aeroplane.

My thought when buying the P-51 was to have qualityaeroplane built as per instructions without need for modifications. I wasintending to use it as my fun “throw around” aeroplane and as entry to war-birds(currently building a 1/5 scale Bf-109 from Fliteskin) and to have a bit ofchange from the lightly wing-loaded aerobatic aeroplanes I am currently flying.This is what I found wrong with this kit:

Covering – The covering material is of poor quality. It is constantlywrinkles and extremely hard to maintain as it seems to be sensitive to anythingbut water. If you want to buy same colour covering to patch the aeroplane upyou are out of lack (as much as my search could find), as this special coveronly sold in full roll with the whole aeroplane print for.... $93... (HAN242029).This is almost third of the full kit cost. The covering has very limitedcapability to re-shrink and re-stick and you have to be very careful to be inthe correct temperature for the activity (lower temperature for re-stick andhigher for re-shrink).

Tail wheel assembly – a lot was written about the poordesign of the tail wheel, so no need to add much here... It would have been soeasy to rectify the issue at the construction stage in the factory for almostno additional cost. The access to work on the wheel assembly through the hatchand the cut at the bottom are a joke for anyone with larger then kid hands. Ihave not glued the dummy doors, but instead made a screw fit which was handywhen I re-did the mounting to provide acceptable rigidity.

Wing gap – Even on the cheapest of aeroplanes I have built,I have never seen such a gap between the wing and the body. What explanationcan a manufacturer provide in these modern days of computer aided design tothis massive gap?

Balance and weight – I have used the recommended SAITO FG-20and had to add something like 120gr in the access hatches in the back (for theelevator control) to balance the aeroplane... I somehow thought that using therecommended engine the aeroplane will balance without having to add too muchweight, especially when using the heavier engine choice. I must admit that I ama bit nervous with the aeroplane total weight (haven’t flown it yet)

Supplied control rods and clevises – While I do use thesupplied rods and clevises, I do think that they are marginal and for the pricebetter clevises should have been provided

Engine throttle arm – Using the recommended engine you donot expect the arm not being capable to throttle the engine when building perinstructions. The supplied wire is too stiff to be able to do the arc motion atthe engine throttle lever side and therefore requiring replacing with smallerdiameter music wire.

Spinner – Wrong length screw supplied... If you live inAustralia like I do, you will find that 10-32 screws are almost nowhere to befound... I am not impressed with the provided spinner and while I have used itfor running the engine without any problem, I will replace it with aluminium spinnerfrom Dave Brown.

Retracts – While looking to me as being of decent quality,the fact that the servo holes are set specifically for the JR88 servo make a simplebuild just a bit more difficult with the need to source this specific servofrom the U.S (as they are not old in Australia for example) or modify the mountto accept other servos which are more widely available.

Wheels – I got so scared to even try the provided wheelsafter reading this thread that I have ordered the Sullivan SkyLite Aluminiumhub wheels set.

While there were few positive to the kit such as the enginemount drill pattern, the share number of issues just made this builtfrustrating. I will not recommend this aeroplane to anyone and personally willstay away from Hangar-9 kits in the future, regardless of how well it will fly(yet to be seen). I have added some photos from the engine run-in.

Name:	Pn37109.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	1560210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40520.jpg 
Size:	680.7 KB 
ID:	1560211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69216.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	474.2 KB 
ID:	1560212  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you think your unhappy with that kit now. Wait till you cowl up that POS satio engine and try and fly it. You will loose that aircraft. I started the first thead on that saito gas engine. It is the one started by saillfish. I did finially get Horizon to buy it back. I did some gear mount mods and tail wheel mods to this kit and fly it with a YS 110. It has a heavy wing loading but is a joy to fly. Nothing like my extra and yaks. But it is a warbird. But really, Be ready for that motor to ruin your day. And let us know how it goes. And the H9 wheels are junk. I think they are made of thin painted glass. Cuz they shatter on the first landing. Best of luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Erans,..I feel your situation,

I too made the mistake of not reading the threads before buying this plane. I think this KIT is pure junk. I had to modify several parts of the plane including of coarse the dreaded tail wheel section, the retract section because the retracts they recommended did not fit in the hole and other places as well including re-enforcing the lading gear and firewall areas. I had the wheels disintegrate on take off and it ruined one of the struts. And since H9 doesn't have them in stock right now, I had to fix them my self. Overall, I am selling my plane. I call this plane "the kit from hell" cause I always had one problem after the other and am still yet to fly it. But I am not going to fly it cause if I crash it for any reason, Then I will really hate my self for not getting rid of it while I had the chance. Good luck ! !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These planes are on backorder. it will be interesting to see if they corrected any previous flaws on this next batch. I'll wait till then to purchase it.

Page 63 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast