Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1982

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Thanks for all your posts FireScout. I'm watching, interesting thoughts on the  elevator issues. I'm gonna' start at about 4 mm of up and down  and see what happens as I try and get it tuned. Maybe I'll post some pic's of my beast and the mod's that I did that will hopefully keep mine from having an untimely departure. Sure had a lot  of "minor" issues though. I think when I maiden mine I'll scale back on the coffee that morning so I don't get too exited. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does anyone have a bit of play on the flaps? 

wondering if this is bad. i did the first flight with a buddy of mine at the club and he taped my flaps because we didnt want the loose play to become a factor.

any help would be great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andre, can you measure the play in total travel?
    AMA 896196

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hemi,

4mm might not be enough - maybe you meant 14mm?

H9 updated their manual, and the new (reduced) deflection is 13mm on the low rate. From what I've read, the plane flies fine on the recommended rates, and they are comparable to other similarly sized warbirds I've seen. At a minimum you should set something close to what H9 recommends on high rate. It would be a shame to get it off the ground only to find out you don't have enough elevator to climb out, or when flaps are extended.

I don't particularly like dual rates, or for that matter, exponential, but expo is probably the best trade-off. Whatever you do, if you are not used to flying expo, ease into it (i.e. start at 10% to 15% negative expo) - it most definitely changes the way the airplane feels, and could be disconcerting on a maiden flight if you've never used it before. Better yet, set your trainer (you do have a trainer, right?) up with expo to get a feel for how it affects flying qualities.

BTW, I recommend using English throws - after all it's a Mustang, not a Fiat

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andre,

Is the play in the linkage or the hinges?

If it's in the linkage - and minimal - it won't affect it too much, but you might notice that you can't trim the plane consistently. However, check to make sure you have symmetrical flap deployment - asymmetric flap deployment is a killer.

If your hinges are sloppy, that's bad. It can mean premature failure! Did you use the H9 hinges? If so, you might consider replacing them with Robarts.

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Use negative expo for Futaba, and positive expo for JR and Spektrum.

I also use the recommended throws (the corrected version) and they are good for me. But I do use dual rates. I set the high rate when flaps are down, and the low rate when flaps are up. This matches the control throws with my airspeed for scale flying.
    AMA 896196

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I discovered something interesting - if you install the aileron linkage per the instructions, you will end up with negative aileron differential!

This may not be -the- cause of peoples troubles, but it could certainly make things worse. It could definitely aggravate the tendency for the plane to tip out at low speed.

The instructions show installation of the servo with the arm at 90 degrees for neutral. Because of the short distance between the servo and the horn and the angles involved, it causes more deflection downwards than upwards - this is negative differential, and causes adverse yaw during aileron applications. Adverse yaw induces a slip, or the same as "crossing the rudder and ailerons"

The airfoil looks symmetrical (H9 doesn't specify) so zero differential per the instructions should work fine. The attached photo shows the setup I used to get zero differential. The servo arm is clocked forward by 1 1/2 splines or about 22 degrees.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp42521.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	1734382  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all, new to this forum...though have been following for some time. I finally recieved my new H9 mustang the begining of Feb 2012. The new planes do seem to have some of the forementioned weaknesses addressed. I felt that a plane that looks this good out of the box, could look better with a good looking cockpit. I was appauled at the "interior" parts supplied. I modeled every single part out of Evergreen Scale Models Styrene Plastic. This stuff is great to work with. The insturments are actually a photograph. After all was said and done, plastic, wood, glue, and paint. The entire "scale" cockpit weighed in at only 3 1/4oz! The entire cockpit does "split" when the top deck is removed.

Name:	Ge96473.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	1734402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx74514.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1734403  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More pics

Name:	Yw66624.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	1734404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf13422.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1734405  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Almost finished

Name:	Wu61142.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	1734406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw73576.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1734407  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More pics of seperation

Name:	Nl28636.jpg 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1734408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93741.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	1734409  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

more pics

Name:	Om32567.jpg 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	1734410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yu63758.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	1734411  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it does not look real.....You did it wrong.

Name:	Om33481.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1734412  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If anybody has a link to photograps of the interior placards, I would greatly appreciate it...also a good looking scale pilot. I used a Century Jet 1/7 WWII pilot for reference, but boes not hold to the quality I am looking for.

Name:	Nl31086.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1734414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To45786.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	1734415  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey  Firescout , yes,  I miss-typed my elevator throws. And no I don't have a trainer , I hav'nt had a trainer in 28 yrs, although I have a 40 size stick.  I could borrow my sons goldberg eagle, but it's not gonna be anything like that mustang when flying. I think people have been setting these blue noses up with to much elevator though. And your right, it's a mustang dam-it, not a fiat....I'll use the english throws. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jason, that cockpit is just awsome! It makes me feel bad about mine. Thanks for the posts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To avoid any negative differential, I always measure my controls throws and set up equal throws using the transmitter with an angle meter so up and down are the same. For big planes, I noticed the mechanical linkage is always a little off.
    AMA 896196

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jason,

I think I missed or did not seen it. Where did you got the Cockpit kit from?

Thanks
    Adrian

www.ch-ignitions.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is completly hand made out of styrene plastic. Evergreen Scale Models makes all sorts of styrene sheets, rods, tubes, I beams, H beams, angles, half rounds, etc. It is light and easy to work with. It glues well with CA, or plastic cement, sandable, easy to paint. Neat stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jason,

Wow - you really must have a lot of time on your hands - great work! Love the depth of the gauge detail and the rivets and levers. The placards are a nice touch!

I made a super scale A-7D cockpit once, and before final assembly I pulled off silicone molds of the instrument panel and the avionics consoles, then resin cast some copies. (hint, hint)

Here's a cool 3D view of a P-51B cockpit - wait for it to load, and you can spin around to see all the placards

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/...g/P51_swf.html

Hemi,

I used the term "trainer" loosely, to mean anything easy to fly. I would call a Stik an "advanced trainer" so that counts!

TC,

If you have ailerons set up on two channels, then what you said is fairly easy, and probably more accurate. I like to mechanically rig mine as close as possible to get the best mechanical advantage and least amount of play, then use the radio to fine tune it. My main point was that if you followed the directions but failed to measure both up and down throw, you would most likely have negative differential.

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What CG are you guys using on your birds? Just flew mine for the first time today and it seemed to fly nose heavy. Balanced mine per the manual at 4.75 inches CG. She flew fine in the air,however the landings were extremely hot, even with full flaps. It's been my experience that when they land this hot, it normally indicates a nose heavy plane.

Just wondering if anyone has tried flying with less nose weight. Maybe over 5 inches back? Mine is setup with a saito 125 and weighs in dry at 9.5lbs. I currently have the battery all the way forward next to the fuel tank.

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FireScout

Andre,

Is the play in the linkage or the hinges?

If it's in the linkage - and minimal - it won't affect it too much, but you might notice that you can't trim the plane consistently. Β*However, check to make sure you have symmetrical flap deployment - asymmetric flap deployment is a killer.

If your hinges are sloppy, that's bad. Β*It can mean premature failure! Β*Did you use the H9 hinges? Β*If so, you might consider replacing them with Robarts.

TomΒ*
    I noticed one wing's flaps had a noticeable amount of play when compared to the other side, and being as they are identical in setup, could only place it to the hinges, as when I looked into it, there did look to be a little movement there - so are looking into getting them out and replaced without destroying the wings (not impressed, rubbish pin hinges on something I consider a high end ARF model for this size range, really poor IMO)
    Raptor 50 Nitro heli - OS50 Hyper
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im thinking about picking this ARF up and installing a Dle 20cc in it. I have a dle 55cc in my extra 260 and that engine is fantastic. My questions are. Seems that most of the issues have be addressed and corrected. But i see that the CG should be 4.5" correct. that will help with everything and landing's will be alot better. Also does the dle run hot at all or do you have cooling vents cut in for the engine.

What did you guys end up using for servos for the retracts. Did you use the one's they call for or some sort of modfication for the plane to fit a std servo size.

Does anything else need to be beeffed up at all or did they take care of that.

Also will the dle be able to spin a 4 blade efficently or do i need a 4 stroke for that.

Should i upgrade the wheels or did they fix them to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chaos2984

........What did you guys end up using for servos for the retracts. Β*Did you use the one's they call for or some sort of modfication for the plane to fit a std servo size......... Β*Β*
    I've got Bluebird metal geared digital in mine, just had a 4mm wide x 2mm thick plate welded into the servo opening at work by our staff welder, and the servo fits fine and works a treat with no binding/humming etc.

I have a build thread going in RCU as I'm (slowly) putting one together with a DLE20, there is a guy there who has done it, so that could be a good place to start being as he has his installed.
    Raptor 50 Nitro heli - OS50 Hyper
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sounds good ill have to look at your build. what kind of prop are you going to be using. I would like to go with a 4 blade with the dle 20 if possible for the scale look. Im not to worried about speed i can always thow on a 2 blade. But i want to find out if anyone knows if the dle 20 will be able to spin a 4 blade and have enough thrust to get off the ground and fly around decent. I know there was talk about a specific 4 blade in here but now i cant find where i was at

Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast