Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Twin Warbird suggestion for KMP

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Twin Warbird suggestion for KMP

Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin Warbird suggestion for KMP

Yeah something like that. I really can't wait to see what they do with Gary's Ho-229 cockpit!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM
jmohn

Yeah it should be pretty cool! He got to sit in the cockpit in the show and then stand around by the plane during some shots as the pilot. They made him shave off his beard I have a cool photo of him next to the plane, but I can't share it as it's not for release and he could get in trouble.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Evil_Merlin

Thats really cool. Just goes to show that a little luck and talented building can get you a wee bit of fame.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
at-6 texan

hi guys look this!!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brooq...eature=related
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
jmohn

Very nice video of the Horton. Too bad on the landing. I have seen that happen many times on Gary's Horton as the wing hooks on the grass and flips it over. Here's a nice video of Gary's plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAd-N...e=channel_page

Jeff
Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Evil_Merlin

Unfortunately a lot of the 229 guys really keep a lot of the Ho-229 stuff to themselves, a lot which Gary had to redo time and time again to get all the information needed to fly the 229 successfully. Luckily Heiner was able to get Gary and the rest of us working on teh 229 info that others simply wouldn't share.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Pappy

That Ki 45 is beautiful - where do you get that?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 AM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: AKondor

Hi: I like the Mossie and Beaufighter as well.... hmmmm. All our planes are available with the option of a primer finish.
Can you imagine trying to balance the Beau though!!!!! would make the Mossie look like a cake walk by comparison.
I love the Beaufighter also, but the Mossie has to be my sentimental choice.... I never forget seeing a real Mossie in action at the Biggen Hill airshow back in 1989, mate the sound those two Merlins made on a fast n low pass!!!

Andrew if you do decide to do a Mossie please consider doing one that would suit 2 x .90-.120 4 strokes 90-100" span would be about perfect I reckon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZo1K...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=don2J7S8VjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC5A8...response_watch
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Pippin

...Ju88 again
http://www.warbirdkits.com/Ju88/ju88.html
Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Jet FX

I spent 2 years working on my Mossi to get it in flying condition. I know it is the CMP smaller version but I though you would like to see it. Here are some photos from our WarBird Event here near Cincinnati Ohio. I completely reworked the undercarriage, gear blocks and wheels so I could take it off of the ground off ofa paved runway. I gotta tell you though, it was worth all of thehassels I had with it to be able to finally get it into the air with the cowls on and do those 90 mph low diving fly-by's across our field. Thew cowls made themodel pick up another 20 mph in flight.

I have a little video from our air field here in Trenton Ohio, called the GCRCC, or Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club, where I flew the model on a test flight without the cowls, just to make sure everything worked the way it was supposed to.

The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPewtLpsCE

The model came in a little heavyat around 12.5 pounds. I had to add a pound of weight in the nose just to get her balanced. The manual has the CG in the wrong place, and I ended up throwing out all of the hardware that came with the kit, including their push rod sets.
I rebuilt to older O.S. 40 SF engines and used them because I really like the sound the older engines make. I am using 10 X 5"Top Flight"Power Point props on the 2 engines. I hand made the landing gear, and am using Dave Brown 3 1/2 inch Lite Wheels. The squishy wheels in effect are what keep the model tracking on the paved runway. They provide a little 'braking" action that keeps the model stable until I can get up to speed and have the rudder effectively control the model...It works out pretty well. It really tends to pull very hard to the left at first so you need almost full right rudder with the first 20 feet or so of the roll, then the rudder starts to take over and it tracks pretty well.

I bet I have over 50 posts in a forum called "CMP Mosquito" here inRC Universe,explaining how I modified and rebuilt this model with all of the problems I had with it. I thought I would never get it off of the ground, but I was very persistant, and all of the hard work paid off. Even though it is on the smaller side with a73 inch wingspan, it draws a lot of attention when it is in the air. I flew it lastAugust in front of 3500 folks that came out to our annual Air Circus that the GCRCC puts onevery year at the Butler County Regional Airport, here in Hamilton Ohio. What a thrill that was for me....

Take Care

David
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40763.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1208322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80644.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1208323   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97278.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1208324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52377.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1208325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49691.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1208326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53723.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1208327  
Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Evil_Merlin

David, nice looking Mossie.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
JET FX

Ditto... nice one David, always cool to see another mossie in the air.... well of course I mean the non blood sucking variety. The CMPis probably the only current option for an ARF too!

IMHO a 95-100" Mossie would probably be my ideal choice size wise as it will still be reasonably easy to transport/handle and you can use a wide variety of engines 2-4stroke and gas or electric. Plus the wing loading should be pretty good also.... Can you imagine one set up with electric motors swinging scale three balde props and fitted with x 2 of those Benedini Merlin sound systems. Heavier speakers and batteries up in the nose and engine nacelles would take care of any balance issues also I imagine. Mmmmmm twin Merlin sound.....
Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Jet FX.....Evil Merlin....

I couldn't even imagine such a thing, however Iam sure someone out there could do that. In the mean time I will try to keep the old 40SF engines running as best as I can, and enjoy that wonderful sound oftwo 18 year old2 strokes,running in harmony instead of the merlins. They will just have to do for now.Thanks so much for the nice words.

David
Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 AM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: david polley

Dear Jet FX.....Evil Merlin....

I couldn't even imagine such a thing, however Iam sure someone out there could do that. In the mean time I will try to keep the old 40SF engines running as best as I can, and enjoy that wonderful sound oftwo 18 year old2 strokes,running in harmony instead of the merlins. They will just have to do for now.Thanks so much for the nice words.

David
No need to imagine heres what I mean in a P-51 only would be x 2 for the Mossie-
YouTube - Aerosound Digital sound units P51D Mustang