Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Way

Dave,

Sorry, couldn't spend enough time making new stuff.

Darrell
Old 06-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Default ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

OK... I vote Darrell for EMPEROR.
Yea... That's it... EMPEROR!

Hip hip horray for the new Emperor.

All right, all right... I'm done.

-Mustang51
Old 06-20-2003, 01:24 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Darrell,
I know there is interest in your doing a run for the TF Corsair. Perhaps it's not knowing if they will retro into their existing setup that is keeping some from jumping in. Personally I'm willing to take a chance and see. Yes I may need to rebuild a wing but reliable scale gear would be worth it. Pete
Old 06-20-2003, 01:30 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

"As far as a drop in replacement for either the 615 or CJM's version, that is still in the design stage. If it fit exactly like them it
would have to look like them and we are back to the same thin
side plates, down locks, stamped out parts or plastic parts. You
can't expect toy gear to take the weight of today's planes. "

Your question was already answered on the previous page.

-Mustang51
Old 06-20-2003, 01:41 AM
Rocketman612

Originally posted by Mustang51
"As far as a drop in replacement for either the 615 or CJM's version, that is still in the design stage. If it fit exactly like them it
would have to look like them and we are back to the same thin
side plates, down locks, stamped out parts or plastic parts. You
can't expect toy gear to take the weight of today's planes. "

Your question was already answered on the previous page.

-Mustang51
Yea I know. I'm just surprised that more people haven't jumped on this. My wing is basically finished except for the control surfaces and covering. I have enough confidence that Sierra will make something better than what I have that I'll wait to finish the plane.

I'm # 6. Sent the $ tonight. Pete
Old 06-20-2003, 01:57 AM
Maiden Voyage

I just purchased my Robarts 2 weeks ago, damn what timing!

Oh well, easy come easy go. I'll be in within the next two weeks.

Now, anybody want to buy a brand new set of 615s

Kerry
Old 06-20-2003, 03:28 AM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

The problem with the 615's is there just rotating right?
well couldn't you just make a flat spot on the gear to fix the problem. I would really love to invest in this right now but I'm only 15 and have another project that needs funding reallly bad. just started on my p-40, those control surfaces are really hard to shape. but hopefully These new gear will get running and when I get money I can buy a set.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:15 AM
BigProp
My Feedback: (32)

Default Flat spot won't do it!

Racer, my Robarts had FOUR set screws and instead of flat spots, I had dimples drilled into the wire to try and hold the strut from turning. The gear skipped a tooth when I landed hard and it still turned inward.
So, to answer you quesiton, it's more than just a flat spot that is needed. These retracts aren't appropriate for a plane wieghing in over 8 lbs, and their design leaves alot to be desired;.... in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:57 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

racer,
I have overcome the rotating problem by using many set screws, grinding flat spots, etc. IMO, the biggest problem with Robarts is the "links" as Robart calls them (others refer to them as scissors). These are the flimsy metal hinged parts that connect the air cylinder to the plastic strut housing. They are very easily damaged if overstressed (hard landing, chuck hole, etc), and once bent, are weakened and therefor should be replaced. Robart sells these replacement parts for $6.50 each. Thus, a hard landing can cost up to $26 plus shipping, and will keep the retracts from operating unless you have spares on hand (which I and others do). If you have spares, repairs can be made in 1/2 hour. Robart could improve these parts by maybe making them from tempered spring steel, but they refuse to listen to our pleas. Thus, there is a strong market for alternatives.
For the moment, I am staying out of this one because I have 3 Top Flite Corsairs either built or partially built, and all three are already set up for the Robarts.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would jump in if I were gonna stay with 60 sized warbirds. But I'm gonna make the jump to bigger and be done with it. Will be selling most all my smaller stuff at the next swapmeet. I will mention this at the next club meeting cause I know there are several people that have problems with the robarts. There are plenty of TF corsair hanger queens just waiting for a decent set of retracts.
Edwin
Old 06-20-2003, 02:25 PM
BigProp
My Feedback: (32)

Default Minor Modification Needed

As it turns out, this topic was recently address on RC Warbirds:

http://www.rcwarbirds.com/advisordarrell2.htm#q28

Darrell responded saying that the modification would only be slight. So, for those of you who are on the fence about the retracts for the possibility of having to rebuild your wing entirely, it seems that the modification will be minor...Can you tell I REALLY want to get a set of these?
Old 06-20-2003, 02:59 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darrell,

I actually have 3 airplanes these retracts could go into. TF Corsair, P-40 and an old Bridi Shrike Commander. I'll send another $200 next payday (June 27) to get my reserve count up to 3.

Hopefully, by then, that will help push it over the magic #20.

Don
Old 06-20-2003, 03:47 PM
kboardm

I have just purchased the C M pro Corsair as shown in the Giantscaleplanes ads. (Found a much better price in Canada.) The specs show a wing span of 75.5 inches and a weight of 11 to 11.5 lbs. Would these be the best option for retracts for this plane? If not, what is the best existing retract?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 06-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Rocketman612

Originally posted by kboardm
I have just purchased the C M pro Corsair as shown in the Giantscaleplanes ads. (Found a much better price in Canada.) The specs show a wing span of 75.5 inches and a weight of 11 to 11.5 lbs. Would these be the best option for retracts for this plane? If not, what is the best existing retract?

Thanks,

Ken
YES! As stated above the Sierra retract will be rated up to 18 lbs.
After doing alot of research on retracts I have NEVER read a bad word on the product or service Sierra provides. Robart and CJ can't make that claim. Pete
Old 06-22-2003, 05:55 PM
shupack

I'd love a set, but i'm flat broke

put me on the list for the fall or winter production run
Old 06-23-2003, 02:05 AM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Could we modlers make these sissors oursevles. I know a good metal woorker do you think he could make a set out of the steel stuff?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:12 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could we modlers make these sissors oursevles. I know a good metal woorker do you think he could make a set out of the steel stuff?
I suppose, if some has the tools to make them. I would be interested in trying out a set. If they are indeed better, there should be a big demand for them
Old 06-23-2003, 12:24 PM
BenWillis

To bad they wont work on my newly aquired P-47

Ben in SC
Old 06-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Rocketman612

Default What's the Count

Well we are 8 days into this thread and I'm curious as to what the count is for flyer's who have sent a deposit to Sierra? I doubt that another offer to design retracts for the TF Corsair would come anytime soon if this can't get off the ground with only 20 orders needed. Pete
Old 06-25-2003, 08:52 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

Default Current Count

Rocketman, the current count is stuck at 5. We are
a long way from 20. Maybe their are not as many of
these planes out their as I thought, or only a few
are having problems with the gear. This is why I set
a minimun amount, because nobody want's to take a
chance. I'll let you know if others come forward.

Darrell
Old 06-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Rocketman612

Darrell,
Thanks for the update and your efforts here. The forums have been replete with dissatisfied owners of other gear over the past year. The price is very reasonable so maybe we will get enough :disappoin Pete
Old 06-25-2003, 03:48 PM
shupack

if i had the cash you'd have 6. when are you thinking about starting production? (assuming you get 20)
Old 06-26-2003, 12:34 AM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Default Gear............

Well, Hope you guys can make the count, I'm short on cash at the moment, got in an automobile wreck, not my fault, had to live on my savings, and the girl who tagged me, her ins. and I are not seeing eye to eye, if I can get this settled, count me in for two sets, p-40 and corsair,..........Paul
Old 06-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Rocketman612

Default Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda!

Fellas it's like this.

Quoted from Darrell,
" Hey guys, The thread has slipped away and the count
is only at 5 so far. If we can't get at least the 20 by the
middle of July, I will not be able to get started on them."

Hanging back and waiting is not a winning strategy if you really want a set of these retracts. Nobody has to tell me that $ is tight but this is like "Lay away" $100 down and the rest in a couple of months when the gear are ready.

I've been following the building of some really nice Corsairs out there with a variety of detail, engines, etc. The pride in your planes is evident. Isn't a chance to get Top Flight gear for your Top Flight plane worth it. Pete
Old 06-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Ed Anderson

Everyone seems to be unhappy with the 615's, but what about the Robart 148 TF Giant Corsair pneumatic retracts? Any comments?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.