Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Old 07-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Pete850

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Reponse from Sierra

Just got an e-mail response from Eurokit - they recommend the CRA/15474/000 unit for the GSP Corsair and advise me that these units are available in the UK from www.ripmax.com.

Just waiting for some external dimensions now.....

Pete
Old 07-01-2004, 08:08 AM
WarpdSpazm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the looks of those even better than CJM! They have a flat profile on the wing surface that would be ideal for someone wanting to add functional gear doors... oh wait that's me!!! Also the rotating method looks solid. Short of losing air, or hitting hard enough to break a tooth, i can't see those pivoting at all....Thanks Pete, you just motivated me to get moving on my Corsair.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Pete850

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just received dimensions from Eurokit (url below) - looks pretty meaty to me.

http://www.eurokitlucca.it/PDF/Dimen..._Leg_large.pdf

What do you guys think? I'm going to have a measure up tonight and see if it's practical for the GSP (Flair) Corsair.

Pete
Old 07-01-2004, 07:47 PM
torp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good pete, will these work with a Robart air system
Same size lines??????
torp
Old 07-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Pete850

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Torp,

They look like push-in fittings to me (similar to industrial pneumatics) rather than the Robart external barb type. If they are 4mm, which I think they are, I can "borrow" all the fittings off the shelf at work....

I've asked the question and am waiting for Eurokit's reply.

By the way, just found out the price from Ripmax in the UK - £199/pair (should be called Rip-off-max!!)

Pete
Old 07-02-2004, 04:41 AM
torp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pete, yes are expensive,

untracts are UK - £147/pair ,

quote; "This price includes scale oleo legs for your model and the retraction angle is adjustable to push the wheels further forward to prevent nosing over on grass if required. They also have individual speed control. it"

cheers torp.[8D]
Old 07-02-2004, 04:47 AM
Pete850

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmm....decisions, decisions.......the Unitracts sound attractive at that price, but I thought I read somewhere earlier in this thread that some people had problems with Unitracts as well.

Pete
Old 07-02-2004, 09:02 AM
WarpdSpazm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took a look at the Unitracts for the TF corsair... THEN i did the conversion to USD...... CHOKE CHOKE... $397!!!! Ouch that hurts for a 225USD ARF. Guess I'll have to price the Eurokits. before I last ditch back to CJM...
Old 07-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Maiden Voyage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WarpdSpazm:
Better check your conversion table It's more like 269 US for the Unitracts and 364 US for the Eurokits form Rip (off) Max :0

Don't give up so soon, I sent Lee a copy of my Corsair plans. Maybe he will tackle the task and we will all benefit[sm=thumbup.gif]

MV
Old 07-03-2004, 01:30 AM
torp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pete , see if you can track down that thread.
Just got e-mail from unitracts ,they claim a 7 kilogram = 15.4323584 pound rating and these are used in the BT 82" Corsair.
Would like to hear from someone that has these??
Would be more than ample ,you think ??
TFcorsair 9-12lbs ??
torp[8D]
Old 07-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good morning Warpdspasm et al; Haven't received the dwgs as yet, maybe today when mail runs about 3 pm. Also have P-40 info coming. But I already have determined that I can easily match the 615 footprint. My new mechanics are sketched, and I will shortly start cutting metal on the key part, just a rough-out, to prove that it will work (or not!) WHAAAT? Me fail??? Bite yo' tongue!! I'll try to keep you all updated. Lee Robinson
Old 07-03-2004, 08:20 AM
Robinaire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GAD! Sorry Maiden, but I addressed your reply to Wordspasm! Oh well, I guess all got it!! I'm alright-- the world's all wrong! (The media prove it every day!!) Lee
Old 07-03-2004, 08:24 AM
WarpdSpazm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Robinaire, Did you see the Eurokits design for the 90* rotate? I don't know the durablitity of the method; you might. I however really like the idea that it's flat on the exposed side allowing to add gear doors. hopw you can do something like that too.... (please please please! )
Old 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
jeffyd123
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all!

I too am thinking of designing and building a better retract for .60 sized birds and larger

I would llike to base it on the large scale robarts model #150. the design params use the following:

1. a fully encapsulated mount for less flexing (similar to what unitract is doing)

2. full oleos built into the design (stronger and allows for a larger locking bar). the oleo would incorporate a splined shaft to eliminate the need for a trailing link (and all of its slop). use of dampning inside is also possible

3. an upper ball link made of all steel to rotate the wheel (no gear meshing on the body of the mount)

4. 110 degree gear rotation to put the gear farther forward to prevent nose overs (possibly adjustable?)

5. all metal construction. most likely made out of billett aluminum

6. flush profile when retracted to allow for doors

7. a small profile to minimize (or eliminate) cutting of the wing structure

let me know what you guys think.

I need as much input as possible... sizes, desired features, weight factors, reccommended air cylinder thrust, lots of pictures of other designs and anything else you can think of.

I would need to see at least 20 people interested to make such an undertaking worthwhile... the development will take about 50 - 100 hours of desgn, protoyping and testing. I will try to make the price very reasonable and affordable for the quality.

protypes will take about 30 days and Id like to offer 3 sizes

you can call me at 541-383-0190 to talk directly.

thanks ,

Jeff Del Vecchio
Old 07-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im building one this winter..I would be interested...
Old 07-12-2004, 06:33 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jeffyd123

Hi all!

I too am thinking of designing and building a better retract for .60 sized birds and larger

I would need to see at least 20 people interested to make such an undertaking worthwhile... the development will take about 50 - 100 hours of desgn, protoyping and testing. I will try to make the price very reasonable and affordable for the quality.

thanks ,

Jeff Del Vecchio
Oh man.

You know, as much as I'd love to get in on this, please don't take this the wrong way but

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

That's almost the same way this thread was responded to in the beginning. My 1D project has been on hold for (ever) 5 mo because of those phrases.

Over a year and counting. Can you understand my/our scepticism?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:49 PM
jeffyd123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I absolutely understand....

Im not asking for any $ until I get them working.

I think that the design of the robart 150 models is very solid. I am looking at basicically scaling down that designfor .60 sized birds. I would like to enhance the oleos as well by making them use a keyed strut to eliminate the need for the drag links.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: jeffyd123

Hi all!

thanks ,

Jeff Del Vecchio
Oh man.

You know, as much as I'd love to get in on this, please don't take this the wrong way but

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

That's almost the same way this thread was responded to in the beginning. My 1D project has been on hold for (ever) 5 mo because of those phrases.

Over a year and counting. Can you understand my/our scepticism?

Len,
That was my response when I read the post[:@]. I was really disgusted that I let my Corsair "age" on the bench while waiting for retracts. But, I'm back into a Corsair frame of mind and pushing ahead. I went with CJ's and I'm sure they will be fine. Get back to building

Pete
Old 07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Robinaire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Rocketman; Just read both the offer on gear and your comment. 1. For 28 years, my retracts have brought the leg up within the mechanics outline (flush bottom; 2. I used to convert rotators for Dave Platt, using the link system, mainly because his couldn't be converted any other way. I never liked the system, and haven't used links for about 15 years; 3. scissors slop-- I don't know if any of you fellows have used, or even seen my retracts, but the scissors DO NOT slop! They are machined, and fitted 6061 al., no sheet metal pieces. 4. For about 23 years, I have used an oblate design on the end of the cross-slide (locking bar to some) to eliminate the line contact of a round piece in the slot. As for oleos, when the weight requires it, I use a multi-level springing system to roughly simulate the needle valve snubbing system used in P-51 and other warbird struts. As to the spline idea, I tried that 18 or 20 years ago, and found it to be very difficult to do, since it requires special equipment if you do it yourself. The commercially available spline parts that might work, at that time were very expensive. It most certainly will work, but the economics may work against it. I have not checked out the economics and sources for those parts in quite some time. As I mentioned to several people, I'm looking at the problem and will put together a proto in the next 2 or 3 weeks, but I won't take orders or money until I am satisfied that it will work. Since it is unusual, it might not!! By the way, for all of you out there who have used the "over-center lock" system for so many years in a zillion peoples retracts, the over-center lock has been in industrial use for a minimum of 300 years! If you can find access to a 4-volume book set called "Unusual Mechanisms" (I don't recall the publisher now) you would be amazed at how many mechanisms we take for granted today were designed waaay back!! Gee--I think I went over my 2 cents worth! My apologies!! Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach, FL
Old 07-12-2004, 11:58 PM
jeffyd123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks Lee....

I agree with you about the splines.. they are expensive and so far I havent found any that are small.. so you are exacatly right. Your scissors sound like a better way to go.

I look forward to seeing what you can develop for a .60 sized bird. Your experience FAR outweighs mine and I am most likely getting in over my head, but I have designed and built several things before... even wrote a patent for one of them. I feel that this can be done with a vertical mill and some swearing.

With your extensive experience, I will be happy to retract my offer and to eagerly wait to see what comes from your skilled hands.

Thanks very much for your input and for helping us with our gear.

Jeff Del Vecchio
Old 07-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Maiden Voyage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I understand everyone's frustration, I'm STILL trying to get my deposit back from Mr. Tenny! [:@] However, I welcome anyone with the means and HONEST desire to build a workable set. I will support whoever comes up with a viable, dependable solution first. That is, with the exception of Sierra, at this point you couldn't give me a set his retracts. I just can't justify supporting anyone, no matter the quality, that blatantly ignores his paying customers as he has!

Heres to Lee, Jeff and anyone else with integrity! I wish you all success.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-13-2004, 01:05 AM
torp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,not long now ????

ORIGINAL: Just Plane Nuts

I just got off of the phone with Darrell he is telling me that the gear will be ready to ship in a month or so....it is the So part about that statement that worries me. As of right know my order is still with him but if Lee or Lenny should design and manufacture a set sooner I will ask for a refund and buy from them....Who knows if seirra does finish this I should be close to the top of the list for shipping...
Dale
Mid August you think ??
torp.......
Old 07-13-2004, 03:28 PM
jeffyd123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks maiden for the kind words.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Glorystomper
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, count me as one of the people who gave up and asked for my deposit back from Sierra Retracts.

Just e-mailed Darrell to request the refund.. hopefully I won't have to wait long. Kind of worried about getting the money back because it was sent almost a year ago and there hasn't even been any updates lately.

Good luck to all you other guys that are hanging in there.. I'm sure he'll come through and the retracts will be nice, but next time I'll just wait until the product is available before sending any money.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Robinaire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all; "Talked" to someone here who was concerned about oleos in this smaller scale. If you look at my website, robinairerc.20m.com, select "photos" and scroll down to the YAT-28 struts, they are 5-7/8" overall (to axle) and the main barrel is 7/16" with fully functioning scissors system. The YAT-28 (turboprop version of T-28, 3 built) is a smaller model. I think it is close to what the P-40 and Corsair 60 size might use. Lee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.