Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Old 07-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Reponse from Sierra

Hi Glorystomper. Just reread your comments, and that is exactly why I never take deposits! I'm not afraid to admit that I have had a few "fumbles" over 28 years!!! I do custom stuff all the time without prototypes where the design is simple, straight forward stuff that I have done before. It's amazing all the similarities among Warbird gear! But the up N twist is not exactly simple, as I've found out about the Bearcat! By the way, speaking of different, the Mosquito gear I'm mulling over right now is a bit different, but not exotic. The proto plane for the kit won't be flying until probably November. It's BIG! 123" and about 55 lbs. If anybody out there might be interested, let me know and I'll keep you updated on Jerry's progress. I do have a couple of pics of the partially finished plane. In about two weeks I expect to cut more metal on my 60-size "gizmo"!! Lee
Old 07-14-2004, 10:08 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So Lee, maybe give us pics of these 60's as they progress ???
Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Robinaire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Voyager; Will be happy to send pics WHEN I have something worthwhile. Right now I'm sandwiching a bit of design time and playing with some parts among all the other stuff I have going. I think yhat within a few weeks I may be able to put together a functioning prototype. I can promise nothing at this time, but some of the things I have found are encouraging. The technique is a bit unique, but I think it can work. Lee
Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW, just dropped in to see how things were going.

I was one of the original 20 depositers, and it's now been a full year since the 20th was recieved.

At first, I was holding the angry crowd back, saying things like 'good work takes time; be patient'. But by the 6 month mark (the original promise was that they would be ready in 2 months), I threw in the towel and got my deposit back.

As others have stated, I would welcome an alternative to the 2 options we modelers have for '.60 size' rotating retracts (CJ and Robart 615s).

I have managed to get some of the bugs out of the 615s, but they still have room for improvement and are not very forgiving. The CJs are a little bulkier, and the oleos are ugly and cheap looking (compared to RoboStruts). The Eurokit retracts looked to be a viable alternative, but I was never able to examine them at shows like the Toledo Expo.

Which is why I put my money into the Sierra project. If the project had reached fruition, the price was supposed to be in the $250 range. A lot of money, compared to the others, but I and others were willing to pay this price knowing what the alternatives are.

Good luck to all those who still have hopes of getting the Sierra retacts soon, I think you'll need it.

There are still quite a number of modelers who are looking for an alternative, so anyone willing to take on the challenge is welcome to do so.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:34 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Robinaire

Hi Voyager; Will be happy to send pics WHEN I have something worthwhile. Right now I'm sandwiching a bit of design time and playing with some parts among all the other stuff I have going. I think yhat within a few weeks I may be able to put together a functioning prototype. I can promise nothing at this time, but some of the things I have found are encouraging. The technique is a bit unique, but I think it can work. Lee

I'm sure you will Lee. I just wanted to "plant the pic bug" in your ear. What I was trying to suggest was I'm sure a lot of folks here would like to see the how-to's of this type of construction. We have lots of plane constructions threads. Thought it would be kinda neat to a have a "gear construction" thread (as long as it doesn't harm your rights as far as getting a patent for your product).

We are all hoping you can make this happen (and we'd like to see your construction).

Thanks.
Len
Old 07-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Rambler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like it's still CJ or Robart. I'm starting a TF P-40 project, and would like a vote... CJ or Robart?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rambler

Looks like it's still CJ or Robart. I'm starting a TF P-40 project, and would like a vote... CJ or Robart?

While they are not as scale looking go CJ. The Robarts will make you cry.

Pete
Old 07-16-2004, 07:01 AM
US185Damiani

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Definitely go CJ I have a set in the corsair and they have caused no grief at all as opposed to my robarts in the P-40 which are a constant source of headaches and maintenance.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Maiden Voyage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got back and checked my mail from the weekend. I finally received my deposit back from Darrell. After three emails and 3 1/2 weeks I was beginning to wonder.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well Guys, I just sent darrell an e-mail requesting my 250.00 back,.....Let's see if it's still in an account untouched, I'll let you all know when/if I get my money,.....I've got my bellyful,...............Paul
Old 07-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Glorystomper
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've sent him 2 e-mails and it's been about a week and a half.. still nothing yet on this end.

Looks like he's slow, but as long as he comes through with the refunds, then all is good.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:14 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cj is the way to go , robart is a Toy ! Just made the mistake of getting another set because the Struts were free from VQ with my P40 , so like an idiot , I ordered them from Tower instead of CJ , yes as soon as they arrived I rememberd , cut , squeez, drill , tab and hope the little set screw holds you struct in place .
GUys theres an old saying , dont dig a $25 hole for a $200 tree , and putting a tiny set screw worth penneys is a joke on gear that cost over $175 with the airsupport system on a model that is worth at leaste $269!!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:31 PM
nchrome

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well if I get my dairyair in gear I thought of a way for 90 degree rotating gear. I did this to a set of B&D retracts and had everybody work the mechenisum quite a while and they couldn't make it slip or fail to rotate. So I think I will make up another set and have some pictures made and have a friend of mine scan the pictures and try to post them for you guys to check out. I have a TF 1/5 scale Corsair and I plan on putting these on it and see just how well they will take the landings. If they work well I plan on having B&D send me some more of their gear and convert them too. Guess we shall see at least it won't take me a year or better to show something.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:41 AM
p-40_lova

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,

Will I have any problems using the CJ p-40 retract kit with a Robart 121 tailwheel?

Also, how well does the tubing attach and stay on the cylinder fittings? Any kind of extra support (wire ties, etc) needed?

Thanks in advance!
Doug
Old 07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
kitesurfer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Refunds from Sierra

It took me three emails and about 2 months, but I finally got my refund from Darryll.

The email he used to send me the refund via paypal is:

sierradeposit@aol.com

The email I used to finally get a response from him is:

DarrellCNC@aol.com

Good luck, I believe Darrell has some significant communications issues, but he's a generally honest guy.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kitesurfer

It took me three emails and about 2 months, but I finally got my refund from Darryll.

Good luck, I believe Darrell has some significant communications issues, but he's a generally honest guy.

Excuse me but an "Honest " Guy would have been straight up about the fact that he took on a project WAY beyond his ability.

An "Honest" Guy would have regularly communicated with the customers that in good faith sent him a $100 deposit.

An "Honest" Guy would have "Honored " his obligation to those customers and made the gear.

Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary 1990 (Sorry only one in the house) defines Honesty as " never deceiving, stealing, or taking advantage of the trust of others."

IMO Darrell isn't "Honest" regarding his rotating gear for a 60 size plane.

Pete
Old 07-25-2004, 09:52 AM
kitesurfer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rocketman,

By that definition I would have to agree... D certainly could have communicated with us all a lot better.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:06 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very, very good points Pete!!! I believe the more appropriate word here (and elsewhere in a man's life) is INTEGRITY. There used to be time when a man was only as good as his WORD - something that seems to have been lost (along with many other things). 22 years in the Air Force pounded home to me certain things like "duty, honor, country" - many guys that spent time in the military have tatooed on their skin "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR". Granted, this is extreme, but I truly believe that when everything else is stripped away, a man's WORD is only as good (or bad) as he makes it. Trust these days it seems, is easily given BUT when anything is done to bring that trust into question, it is nearly impossible to REGAIN that trust. I myself have never met nor talked to this individual, but based on what I have seen in this transaction, I seriously doublt that I would consider even buying ANYTHING in future from this company.....

randy

Old 07-28-2004, 06:16 PM
p-40_lova

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, sad to say but I finally had to cash out and request a refund. Ugg. Going with the CJ's.

Doug
Old 07-28-2004, 10:38 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

B4 you buy CJ's, wait a bit longer for Robinaire. I know, we've heard this before but he emailed me that he has some preliminary gear and is going to be putting up some pics.

He'll need a better opinion than I can give him on their suitability.

Give it a few more working days guys.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Apparently he's having problems uploading the pics. Here are the two he sent to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99908.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	158508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58928.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	158509  
Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Robinaire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all; Well, my ancient pea-brain finally figured it out1 See my gallery. Lee
Old 07-29-2004, 10:41 AM
p-40_lova

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,
Those do look nice! Unfortunately I'm under the gun for things to many to name at the moment, so I had to buy now. I will definitely be taking you up on those beauties in the future!

Doug
Old 07-29-2004, 11:58 AM
ngr1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Robinair Rotating Gear

Congrats Lee, you have made some great progress in a short time!

Historically the weak link with rotating gear has been the rotating mechanism. Can you tell us more about your design and/or provide some pictures of it?

Thanks

Norman
Old 07-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Robinaire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Robinair Rotating Gear

Hi to all; I am working on the mechanism design right now. I expect to do some preliminary machining this weekend, and if all goes well, I may have an operating unit in about a week. Let's get those fingers, toes, eyes and ears crossed out there!!! I can always use all the help I can get!!!!! Lee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.