Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Old 11-01-2004, 07:23 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Reponse from Sierra

Ok where we at on these retracts?
I paid my 100 dollars years ago. what is the remaining balance
for a set of these?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Voyager and gang; I really appreciate the kind words. I have always tried to keep people up to date on things, and it does seem to be appreciated. As to the gear availability, it's still off a bit, as I have stumbled into a mod that may allow me to completely hide the rot. mechanism. I am building test parts right now, and hope to have a functioning unit in about a week. Again, will keep you folks informed. As to purchase of other gear, I will not feel badly or insulted in any way if someone decides to buy Darryls or any other in order to get a plane into the air. Hey! I've been a modeler since 1936, and certainly understand the anxiety to get a bird finished and into the air! I felt that way even with contest hand launched gliders, and my favorite rubber class, the Wakefields! (Geez, am I ever dating myself!!) Lee
Old 11-04-2004, 02:23 PM
nauticom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greetings all:
YEHA
Just got a call from Darrell--my gear is being shipped today. I was # 13 of the original group. Man, time fly's.
This will be my first set of retracts so I'll be on the learning curve. They are going in the GSP 76" Corsair with a Saito 170R3 radial. This thing weigh's in at 14#, so it may be a test for this gear. I have an extra wing for this kit, as I've been flying with fixed gear, so over the winter we will outfit this other wing with the retracts, etc, do check the CG with gear retracted, etc. Will be spring before I can get this project in the air. Thanks to all for all the informative discussions on this thread. I will keep tuning in and will report/ask for help as I follow the retract curve. PS. I asked Darrell to send me the valves and air gear, as I'm new with this stuff, so I'm getting a package.
Bob Masterson
nauticom
Old 11-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, this is good. I have a BT corsair (76" ws) that is coming in at about 17lbs. It came with rohm-airs, (used). Will the sierra's hold up to that weight? And how much is his regular price? I wasnt in line, prefered to wait.
Edwin
Old 11-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe these gear are designed for the Top Flite 62" span Corsair. Are people making sure the struts have the correct length to fit other Corsairs? For example, retracts for the H9 65" span Corsair will not work in the TF 62" span Corsair and vice versa. Bigger wing will require longer struts.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:24 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Forward rake is fine...it is not Top Gun here.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Richard L.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Moderate forward rake is fine. Too much forward rake would make the plane look silly. You never know, some people might enter their plane in Top Gun or Scale Masters with these gear installed.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:48 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What strut length is offered?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
F4u5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, but what is the reality of entering a 62 inch span bird in Top Gun. That is the reality of the market that Darrell is targeting.....sport flyer. Personally, as I am a sport flyer, not competition, a little rake if fine so as no to fight nose overs. Who knows, the design of the rail placement in the Top Flight Corsair may require the forward rake just to get them to set correctly. I just don't understand why Luke has to ding every make and model of Corsair and Corsair accessory on the market. Enough already.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:54 PM
cap10fan
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your right on F4u5!

I have the sierra gear. I am just about finished with the install. They look fantastic. The rake of the gear, when installed, is hardly noticible, unless of course, you prefer to pick everything that somebody else does to pieces.

I am VERY pleased with the fit and quality of the gear. I too purchased the complete set up from Darrell. Everything he sent was absolutely top notch.

I will try to get some pics of my Corsair on its legs.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:52 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Come on, I'm not ding-ing anyone. I tell people what I like and what I want, in this case it is not just for looks. Landing gear are not placed haphazard on aircraft, they follow aerodynamic principals. When you have the axle just forward of the CG it helps with directional stability but is very difficult to keep from nosing over. Move it too far forward and you'll find yourself ground looping, how many R/C videos of warbirds have you seen where the pilot is really struggling with full rudder to keep the aircraft from ground looping? I would guess that the best place to put it is where the engineers put it on the original. It’s the sweet spot for best performance that you want. Why some would want to silence discussions of aerodynamics and landing gear design is a mystery to me. I’m not sure what you want me to do Jeff; maybe you could have the RCU management contact me with a specific mandate. Otherwise I haven’t got a clue as to what you are talking about.

I just don't understand why Luke has to ding every make and model of Corsair and Corsair accessory on the market. Enough already.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:42 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mr Mod, leave Luke alone. I think he's done more good than harm with his comments. It's called "constructive criticism" and I for one welcome hearing about deficencies as well as kudos.

We probably get too many kudos from reviewers etc only to find that gee whiz, it's not quite as good a xxxxx as that reviewer said it was. I'm not saying that they don't tell the truth. They do, just maybe not all the truth.

No harm in pointing out what may be a MAJOR deficiency for someone looking for specific attributes. I think that's what Luke is doing. Doesn't bother me. Bother anyone else? Maybe. Maybe not.

Please, he's not offensive. He's not rude. He's not abrasive. Leave him alone until he is.

Thank you.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:43 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He's not rude or abrasive? Here's the message dionysusbacchus sent me when I stated my opinion regarding Darrell's retracts vs. those under development by another member here:

"I didn’t want to comment on this further because I came to the conclusion you’re suffering from some sort of narcissism and are totally unreachable, but here goes. I seriously doubt you are a doctor given your posts; I would be shocked if you are! Here is why your posts in this thread are irrelevant and inflammatory. First you have nothing invested, many have waited almost 2 years with there hard earned cash tied up without an update or anything. Personally I am building an F2G Corsair that I thought I could start and by the time the wing was ready to fit the retracts surly something would be done. So it sits on the bench while some dude on the forums is throwing around his idiotic opinion like we all care. By discouraging an individual with a retarded statement like Sierra wins after the other guy that is trying to help us threw together a rough prototype in just 2 months shows that you are just trying to be an *****, or that you are retarded. Your pissing me off and lot’s of other people too. I have got to believe that you have something better to do with your time.

You’re a total waist of time. So don’t flatter yourself with statements like the one above."

He's also a hypocrite.....
Old 11-04-2004, 09:55 PM
F4u5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gee..As an A&P mechanic, I guess I don't understand it all. Luke....ever built a Top Flite? Probably not. Know what is required to fit gear to TF F4U...probably not. In other words, don't speak to generalizations. Is Luke talented....yes? Is he the guru...No! I know Luke was more than willing to take "pot shots" at my Corsair build on line. I never bit.....I am above that. But, 2 years later, he is like the virus from below...never quitting. So, time to fire back. I am not a "true to scale" builder. But, I have fun, and all my birds fly. Maybe that leaves me open to his criticism....sure.....do I care.....NO! Who is Luke? Everyone is entitled to their opinion...but Luke takes it to a new height. I have many opinions...but I am mature enough to know when to keep them to my self....until now. I decided to stoop to his level. I am sorry, but when it comes to self indulgence...Luke takes the cake on self indulgence....it is called arrogance. Sorry 633rd and the rest, but if I ran a poll on if most people find Luke abrasive, like Bush, I think I would win. Why else did he disappear for months? As well, why was he threatened with banishment a few times from this forum? It is called tolerance, but only to a degree. Then, people get tired. E-N-O-U-G-H. Arrogant...indeed he is. Can Luke do a better job on gear...let's see the goods. Easy to talk trash. People like this have convinced me to hang up my Moderator posiotin.[:-]. Ready for fire! Give me a call. So, if I do not resign my moderator position, this will surely do it. But, to hell with establishment. I have injured my lip too many times in biting it by keeping quiet ib coming to the defense of others in reply to Dionsybabblestoomuch..it is starting to hurt. My grandfather was a radio operator in the 11th Air Force on B-17's, these are the folks I look up to. So, as he would say..."The hell with the French.....all they did was create mayonaise...the rest is B.S."
Old 11-04-2004, 10:39 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know, I don't want to get into a heated discussion like this is turning into and I'll kick myself for this but:

Juvatwad, I see that message was sent to you as a PM. It wasn't posted in the forum. It's easy to dump on someone (this time its me) because no one else was privy to his pm to you. He didn't believe it was proper for all to see what he wrote you about your opinion. Maybe he wrote what he did. I don't know. Sure he comes across in his PUBLIC postings like he knows it all/knows a lot. Knows more than me, that's for sure. Knows it all? Nah, no one knows it all.

My post was made in light of what the mod wrote and I stand by what I wrote. I won't go into what you copied into your post because it's private. Luke's opinion is AS valid as yours is. That's what this forum is about. I can see from your copying that he may have said things that a more cultured person may not have said. Be that as it may, like all things you could just ignore it and considering who it came from, just trash it and forget about it. OR you could do what you did and make it public. Your decision is made.

As far as F4 goes, you say "know when to keep them to myself". Well, with the exception of a PM, Luke did. Like I said in my post, we always read glowing (and maybe not so glowing) reviews of equipment: planes, tools, whatever. What they say is the truth. But is it the whole truth and nothing but the truth? Most of the time, yes, I have to hope it is. But all the time? I don't know. It's only after I've bought something that sometimes I find that it's not all it's cracked up to be. But for the Luke's of the world, I would buy everything pitched at me because I'm a trusting soul .

You got a tough job as mod. One I wouldn't want. The imposition on your time must be tremendous. I don't envy you but I respect you for what you try to do.

These forums aren't about making people feel all warm and fuzzy. It's about imparting information AND voicing opinions about our love of this hobby. Maybe some people express their views in abrasive and grating ways. But doesn't that type of communication also have a place in here? Not all people are calm and rational and cultured all the time. Sometimes we say things that, given a second chance, would either rephrase or withdraw. I know, I've been there.

All I'm saying is, Luke expressed his opinion. Good or bad, polite or obnoxious. If it was the latter, well that's the way he is. Lots of opinionated people live in this world.

As someone once said: "I don't necessarily agree with what you said, but I'll defend your right to say it" or something along those lines.

I've gotta add this disclaimer: I don't know Luke from a hill of plane parts: young or old, banker or hippy (kinda dates me don't ya know). I do know that thousands have followed his thread(s) on mods he's done. Can that many people be wrong?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:49 PM
F4u5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Voyager...thx, and I will agree with your views on freedom of expression. I am all for that. I can take that. But, if he trends to be a pain in the a** in these forums, then the beauty is, I have the freedom to call him on it. That is America. The problem seems to be that, outside of Luke's own titled posts, he tends to bash everthing corsair related. Tired...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! This is outside of my persona, but.....I figure this will fire Luke up
Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: F4u5

But, if he trends to be a pain in the a** in these forums, then the beauty is, I have the freedom to call him on it. That is America. The problem seems to be that, outside of Luke's own titled posts, he tends to bash everthing corsair related.
So? It's still just opinion. He offers his set of facts to support what he believes to be correct. If you (or anyone else) disagrees, great. Put your facts out and then the rest of us poor know-nothings can make up our own mind. Or do our own research to prove he's right or wrong.

"But, if he trends to be a pain in the a** in these forums, then the beauty is, I have the freedom to call him on it. "

Just what does that mean? He doesn't swear, curse or belittle (but if he has, I'm sure someone will find it and post it here to prove me wrong. GO AHEAD. MAKE MY DAY. )

Anyways, if you're going to "call him on it", I would think that you need to post the forum-supported guide lines that allow you to make the determination that he is a pain back there. I'm not disputing your right to police this place. It's just that I think we need to know what being a pain in the you-know-where means. Obnoxious? He may be (is that in the forum rules?) Curses? Yes, but he doesn't (to my knowledge). Opinionated? Sure, but not forbidden.

Like I said, you got it tough. But you signed on for this job and (hopefully) knew what you were getting into. You know, if you think about it, sometimes a little controversy stirs up a lively discussion. I know I like to do research when I think someone said something that was wrong and like nothing better than saying "You're wrong because . . . " .

Luke has his facts (as he sees them) and he presents them in his way. Someone else can find their own to refute him (if they can) and present them in their way.

AIN'T DEMOCRACY GRAND?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:07 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is outside of my persona, but.....I figure this will fire Luke up
Well, you edited this while I was typing.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to bait him into getting angry and posting something here that would give you an excuse to "call him on it". If I'm wrong in this assumption, I apologize to you.

If I'm right, shame on you.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Richard L.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree that it's a big no-no to post someone's private message. Private messages should be kept private.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 PM
F4u5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Voyager....I guess you are right. I guess I am baiting him a bit. Shame on me. But, I owe him that for all the hassles he has caused me. I have more than my fair share of e-mails from people complaining about him. I have 2 e-mails just from this post. I respect all opinions, but they must be balanced with fiarness. how can Luke criticize a mfg., when he has not manufactured the solution? Please observe my right to be a pain as much as he is.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:17 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure. Be my guest. It generates discussion.

He can criticize anyone he feels like criticizing. Then someone can take him down a peg or two for uninformed opinions.

I'm repeating myself here but: it's his right to make an ***** of himself if he wants to. I know that unless I have facts to back up what I'm saying, I won't be the one doing it.

Hopefully this is at an end. I'm tired. I'm going to bed.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:17 AM
jthomson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just one comment on "freedom of expression" and then I'll try to stick to subject at hand. Don't forget that we also have the freedom "not to listen" If someone says something you think is stupid or whatever, don't waste any more of your (and my) time on it. Yeah, I'm a just new guy but I came here to talk about airplanes. How 'bout it? Back on the topic:

I have been flying a Top Flite DC3 for about a year now and am getting pretty familiar with the flying and landing characteristics of it. I programmed it into a simulator and could not stop the porpoising on landing till I moved the main wheels back toward the CG farther than they belong. The real (read here the Top Flite) plane doesn't have any tendency to do this. In fact, it tries to nose over a bit, especially with the flaps down. This probably comes from the flaps-to-elevator mix and is made worse by our grass field which is soft most of the time. A Corsair in the sim has the same behavior if the wheels are moved so I am wondering if it is a good idea to move the wheels forward very far. Does anyone have any landing experience with the Sierra 110 degree retracts and had this been a problem? The idea of reducing nose-overs is appealing but at the expense of a porpoising problem, it doesn't seem worth it. I asked Darrell to put me on the waiting list so I'm going to try a set in either case. I haven't seen the retracts yet but I'm already wondering if there is a possibility to limit the stroke or mount them at an angle to modify the gear-down position. I like some others am also interested in the scale issues. I don't compete (yet) but I'm doing as much as possible to scale just for the pleasure of it. This will include operating gear doors and cowl flaps and a tail wheel retract.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:44 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is getting out of hand, and the moderator is responsible for it not me. Let me answer your questions.

Gee..As an A&P mechanic, I guess I don't understand it all.
I'm not sure what you know Jeff, what is it you want from me?

Luke....ever built a Top Flite? Probably not.
Probably not? How do you know? I built 3. People who make assumptions are doing what?

Know what is required to fit gear to TF F4U...probably not.
Here we go again ….

In other words, don't speak to generalizations.
OK, I'm waiting for the point...

Is Luke talented....yes?
Does that bother you?

Is he the guru...No!
I don’t care about being a guru, I want to have knowledge and open discussion.

I know Luke was more than willing to take "pot shots" at my Corsair build on line.
I was just wondering why you wanted to spend all that cash and build a semi scale plane. Pot shot is your own words, NOT MINE!

I never bit.....I am above that.
You told me you like fun-scale, and I said cool! To each his own, don’t get mad over it.

But, 2 years later, he is like the virus from below...never quitting.
Sorry to move in on your territory, I didn't thik talking about landing gear position relative to the CG would be so offensive.

So, time to fire back. I am not a "true to scale" builder.
I'm really happy for you Jeff, way to go!

But, I have fun, and all my birds fly. Maybe that leaves me open to his criticism....sure.....do I care.....NO!
At no time did I ever attack or criticize you Jeff, it has all been you. Calling me a virus though...

Who is Luke?
Do you really care Jeff? Come on big guy let me slap you in the head so we can bond.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...but Luke takes it to a new height.
OK, lets see what Jeff’s opinion is like, here are some of the things he called me:

“Arrogant”, “Is he the guru...No!”, “ he is like the virus from below”, “Arrogant...indeed he is.”, “ Dionsybabblestoomuch”, “ talk trash “, “stoop to his level. “, “self indulgence...Luke takes the cake”

I have many opinions...but I am mature enough to know when to keep them to my self....until now.
So now you decided that me quoting aerodynamic law was enough for you to come out of your shell and be immature? This is getting weird!

I decided to stoop to his level.
Now we see the real Jeff, still waiting to hear something about landing gear position, maybe he has nothing to say about it?

I am sorry, but when it comes to self indulgence...Luke takes the cake on self indulgence....it is called arrogance.
Talking about gear position is arrogance?

Sorry 633rd and the rest, but if I ran a poll on if most people find Luke abrasive, like Bush, I think I would win.
Another Kerry supporter that’s why we don’t know where Jeff stands. At least Bush has a pair, and I respect that.

Why else did he disappear for months? As well, why was he threatened with banishment a few times from this forum?
I wasn’t threatened with banishment, PFLooney or whatever his name was would not leave me alone.

It is called tolerance, but only to a degree. Then, people get tired. E-N-O-U-G-H. Arrogant...indeed he is. Can Luke do a better job on gear...let's see the goods. Easy to talk trash.
Making my own gear is an area I am going to move into next, I'm tired of using the stuff that is available. Trash talk? I'm not saying anything.

People like this have convinced me to hang up my Moderator posiotin.[:-].
I was going to recommend that.

Ready for fire! Give me a call. So, if I do not resign my moderator position, this will surely do it.
You are your own worst enemy Jeff, it's not me.

But, to hell with establishment. I have injured my lip too many times in biting it by keeping quiet ib
Thanks for showing us the real Jeff, I knew you were hiding in there, just had to talk about some aerodynamic truth to bring him out!

coming to the defense of others in reply to Dionsybabblestoomuch..it is starting to hurt. My grandfather was a radio operator in the 11th Air Force on B-17's, these are the folks I look up to.
You might look up to my Uncle, he was the Captain of a B-24 Liberator during WWII.

So, as he would say..."The hell with the French.....all they did was create mayonaise...the rest is B.S."
As is your post…

Let’s vote now, if you all don’t want me talking about what makes planes fly and scale issues then tell me to go, if you want me to stay then ask me to stay. I’m sorry I come off abrasive but I don’t know how to say the landing gear need to be in a certain spot for best handling any other way, I’m really sorry! I’ll count the votes and I will leave if you want me to, no skin off my teeth, I have lots of friends. If you want send me a PM with your vote, I promise I won't be a low life and post it in the public forum. I promise not to hold it against you if you vote against me, thanks.

Cheers,

Dion
Old 11-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Timoteo
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My GOSH! I thought this was a hobby. I vote for everyone to be included. Excuse my naivete.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Luke; I replied to your link because I was sitting at it. But these are my comments to all. 1. The constitution guarantees Freedom of Speech, and it is # 1 for good reason. BUT-- the right must be tempered with tact and thoughtfullness, and never acrimony. 2. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought forums and threads were were for the exchange ideas about how to solve modeling problems and continue making our hobby the greatest in the world. Luke, stay put, and that goes for all; I personally value you all. Just remember a saying I learned very early in my 78 years---ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN GEAR!! I am looking forward to lots of fun and learning here in the future. Incidentally; based on genes and family longevity, I expect to pester you all into my '90s!!! Sincerely; Lee Robinson

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.