Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 01:35 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE: RE: Reponse from Sierra

BUMP
Old 03-09-2004, 12:29 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On Feb 28, I e-mailed Darrell again, requesting a refund for the second time.

The first time my request went to an e-mail address that he didn't want us using for these retracts, so he more or less ignored it.

This time, the message was sent specifically to the address that he requested we send all such messages to ([email protected]).

the following portion of this post has replaced original content:

I recieved a full refund from Darrell as promised, on March 9.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

How's this for a 'bump':
On Feb 28, I e-mailed Darrell again, requesting a refund for the second time.

The first time my request went to an e-mail address that he didn't want us using for these retracts, so he more or less ignored it.

This time, the message was sent specifically to the address that he requested we send all such messages to ([email protected]).

It has now been over a week since I sent this last message, and I have not recieved a reply. I've had it, THIS GUY IS A CROOK!

This post will probably get bleeped, but maybe a few of you will read it before it does.
WOW, Can you say FUSCO!!!

It took me a couple of emails and two phone calls to get my refund. Like I said earlier I hope everyone comes out whole on this deal.

Pete
Old 03-09-2004, 07:23 AM
WarpdSpazm

It's wild too, as I've seen Darryll has answer emails on rcwarbird.com in his retract advice segment.

hmmm

I've already prepared all the things I need to order from CJM, just waiting til payday to place the order.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 AM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: WarpdSpazm

It's wild too, as I've seen Darryll has answer emails on rcwarbird.com in his retract advice segment.

hmmm

I've already prepared all the things I need to order from CJM, just waiting til payday to place the order.
Maybe if everyone just posts your queries/questions/ (dare I say refund requests ? ) to him on the rcwarbird site, he might read them and reply . Others may be interested in reading his replies as well.

This assumes they will be posted .
Old 03-09-2004, 10:03 AM
voyager_663rd

No dates are provided on warbird qu/ans but this is the latest:

Question 28: "Hi Darrell, I've been following several posts from other modelers complaining about the retracts that are available on the market for the TOP FLITE P-40s, CORSIARs, or any other kits that use the currently available Rotating Retract Systems. It seems that if the airplane is involved in a "hard landing" the retracts will toe-in or bend causing an immediate nose over situation, thus damaging the airplane. Or if the retracts don't open to a full 100 degrees, the airplane noses over alot. And it seems that these complaints, though numerous, have not been addressed until now. As I understand it, your company, SIERRA PRECISION is involved in a trail production run of a retract system that will be more "Robust" than what's available, but some requirements will need to be met first.

What are the requirements that are to be met in order to get these retracts? How much will they cost? Will your retracts "fit" right in to an already built wing or will modification be required? Will I need a new Air System to actuate your retracts or can I use my existing Air System? Will these retracts open to a full 100 degrees? If I want to purchase these retracts from you, where can I send a payment?

I've heard nothing but PRAISES from other modelers who have used your retract systems on their GIANT Scale airplanes, so I can only imagine what you'll come up with for the smaller size warbirds. Thanks in advance!"

Darrell: "Hello, Here are a few answers to some of your questions. The cost is going to be $250.00. This will include the retracts with oleo struts, not just music wire. You will be able to use your existing air system. The retract might be a little larger than the currently available retracts but should only require slight wing modifications. The retracts will go the entire 100 degrees of retraction and have a positive lock in both the up and down positions. Are for the deposit, you may contact me at Sierra Giant Scale at 440-476-4885 and I will give you the instruction on where and how to make the deposit. Or you may use Pay Pal and send it to a special account at [email protected]. The Refundable deposit is $100.00 US. We will stand behind our gear as we do all of our other designs and only ship a reliable product. I hope this answers some of the important questions for you and others. Thanks, Darrell Tenny Sierra Giant Scale
Old 03-09-2004, 11:08 AM
voyager_663rd

I see the unitracts site is down. Any word on that?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd

Maybe they forgot to renew their domain name.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Oryx

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Maybe they forgot to renew their domain name.
It works fine for me. Remember it is .co.uk and not .com
http://www.unitracts.co.uk
Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 PM
voyager_663rd

That's the ticket. Thanks Oryx.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:17 PM
voyager_663rd

This was found on RCS b.b. (posted Mon 3/15) and reads in part:

I am waiting on the Sierra retracts to finish sheeting the bottom of the wing. I spoke to Darryl last week and he says he should them ready for Toledo.

Not saying it's factual or not. But I hope so.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:27 PM
F4U Killer

I sure hope these Retracts are worth the wait. I was going to throw some money in last Sept just to make sure that these things got going.
I'm Glad I didn't now. Sierra definetly has a lack of interest in the small retracts market.

I just got my TF Corsair Kit last Fri. But due to work it might be awhile before I need any retracts.

The lack of response makes you wonder what Customer service will be like if you have any problems.

Good Luck to those that are hanging in there.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
YAT-28E

As I said before JUNE!!

Just what the crystal ball told me.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Glorystomper
My Feedback: (1)

Default Refund from Sierra

Looks like I'll decide this week whether or not to ask for my initial deposit back.. anyone else have problems with getting a refund?
Old 03-21-2004, 01:15 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Refund from Sierra

I paid through PayPal, I asked for my deposit back and I had the refund in 24 hours sitting in my PayPal account.

I'll wait until he has them on the market and pay full price.

Don

ORIGINAL: Glorystomper

Looks like I'll decide this week whether or not to ask for my initial deposit back.. anyone else have problems with getting a refund?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:01 PM
voyager_663rd

Hopefully someone who was at Toldeo will tell us if Darrel had them at his booth. Supposed to be there but who knows.

edit--I used the word "was" in a future past tense sort of way. I see now it was confusing. I mean, someone who will be there will tell us if the gear was there. There, clear as mud.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:19 PM
WarpdSpazm

When was the toledo show?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Toledo Show will be held during the first week of April. I believe it's April 2 - 4.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:09 PM
BearcatPilot

Bump.
I want to see how this turns out.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Ta-152

Hello, I've been following this post from the beginning and I thought I would just put my two cents worth in. I just finished installing a set of Darrels 4.5 scale P51 retracts. I had never seen any of his work before and bought these units blind if you will.When I opened the box, I was amazed at the quality and precision of these retracts. On a scale of one to ten these are definitely a ten. The best I've ever seen anyway. Very hard to tell from the full scale units. I am certain they will be the frosting on the cake when it's sitting for photos. I think the term patience is a virtue should apply here. Darrel was very up front and did what he said he was going to do. I also ordered his scale tail wheel retract, which retracts forward like the real one, it is also the best unit I have seen. These retracts are well thought out and the fits are toolmaker quality, not like one sees with some others who use lock tite to make up for tolerances. I have had experience with that while designing my P38,on the 4th flight the nose wheel collapsed and damaged the front of the plane.How much could I charge that company for my repair time because of their poor workmanship. Those retracts are still sitting in the draw.Granted these units were on the shelf, so there was no manufacturing or development time involved. Remember that the tooling process is already set up for these units. To be comparing this situation to Fusco is totally unfounded. If the rotating units Darrel is designing are going to be anything like the quality of his 51 units, it is going to take time to get them right. Remember that the wait and cost will be well worth it when your flying instead of fixing at the field. When these things hit the market, there's going to be a wait for them then also. Everyone will be retro fitting their junk with these units. Just a prediction for the future. For my self, I'm glad there's someone out there willing to produce a product that will enhance all the work that I put into my scale projects. JimG
Old 03-26-2004, 11:16 AM
voyager_663rd

TA, no one EVER questioned the quality of his work. It was the lack of comms that has people shall I say, disappointed?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
p-40_lova

I don't plan on requesting a refund. I have plenty of faith and Darrell and I'm sure, IMO that there is a good reason for the comm. loss.

Doug
Old 03-26-2004, 03:18 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody ever compared him to Fusco. I merely said I hope the idea of putting a deposit down and then not keeping us updated didn't turn out to be LIKE Fusco (or Fusco-esque is how I put it). I got my refund promptly so that point is moot.

I'll definitely buy them when they come out but having a deposit down for 6+ months and then hearing from the guy only 3 or 4 times in that time period just doesn't set well with me. (yeah, Fusco took $3K of my money when he disappeared, luckily my CC Bank refunded me)

Don
Old 03-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully someone who was at Toldeo will tell us if Darrel had them at his booth. Supposed to be there but who knows.

edit--I used the word "was" in a future past tense sort of way. I see now it was confusing. I mean, someone who will be there will tell us if the gear was there. There, clear as mud.
Len ,
I think the stress is finally getting to you

Pete
Old 03-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Glorystomper
My Feedback: (1)

Darrell,

I went to my bank to check and found out the my MO has been cashed, so I'm gonna hang in there for a bit longer.. any updates? Getting kinda ansy on my end here.

Thanks,

Wil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.