Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:46 PM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reponse from Sierra

I had written Lenny waaaaay back when this whole thing started (I was looking for alternatives to 615's). He told me he was considering something along these lines but wanted Toledo to be out of the way first. And he didn't want to get into the market if Sierra was going to do the 60 size.

Looks like Lenny decided to get into it.

Thanks Lenny. I look forward to your finished product.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:19 PM
p-40_lova

Pllllllllllleeeeeasssse Darrell!! Come on buddy!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody used Unitracts TF .60 retracts? I see they make them. They any good?
Edwin
Old 06-03-2004, 06:53 PM
voyager_663rd

Three other boards I posted to said the unitracts were good. They are my " go to" model if the Sierras don't materialize (or Shindin's either).
Old 06-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of Unitracts on order for my Brian Taylor Hellcat. These retracts don't have scissor links, which can be good because there are neither pop rivets nor c-clips to worry about. Plus, these retracts have oil filled shock absorbers to dampen oscillation.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:56 PM
shindin
My Feedback: (5)

Jeff,
I have looked at my records, even back past November, and I cannot locate an order from you for Me109 or any other gear...... and I don't recall emailing you about any delivery time, so needless to say, I'm baffled at the "flames"...... please get in touch with me as soon as you can, so we can figure out what's going on...... I am finishing up the last 3 sets of backlog gear, and need to know if yours' got left off my list somehow...... if so, I appologize & will get it straight asap.... I am guessing you have my phone #?

Lenny Sarbin
Shindin Machine
Old 06-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: shindin

Jeff,
I have looked at my records, even back past November, and I cannot locate an order from you for Me109 or any other gear...... and I don't recall emailing you about any delivery time, so needless to say, I'm baffled at the "flames"...... please get in touch with me as soon as you can, so we can figure out what's going on...... I am finishing up the last 3 sets of backlog gear, and need to know if yours' got left off my list somehow...... if so, I appologize & will get it straight asap.... I am guessing you have my phone #?

Lenny Sarbin
Shindin Machine

Wow!! My hat's off to you Lenny. An honest straightforward response to a customer alittle over 48 hrs after posting on a thread that has nothing to do with Shindin Machine.

Meanwhile Darrell has been pulling everyones chain for nearly a year with cash in hand and hasn't posted on this thread in ages.

Speaks volumes doesn't it.

Pete
Old 06-04-2004, 10:09 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

I ordered a set of Robart 615's last week and got them on Wednesday of this week. Huh, figure that! Better the devil you know . . .

[quote][Speaks volumes doesn't it./quote]

Mark
Old 06-04-2004, 10:38 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

hopefully you guys get your gear
I have Darrels gear in my PCM 109 FANASTIC stuff!

I also fly Lennys stuff as well, FANTASTIC stuff

todd
Old 06-04-2004, 11:04 PM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

I've never had sierra precision retracts but I do have some retracts from Lenny at shindin machine. Custom retracts take time unfortunately but they are worth the wait! Good luck to all in getting the gear you want!

Craig
Old 06-05-2004, 07:34 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

I have been following this thread off and one for quite some time as I have both a Corsair AND the P-40 and want to put a retract in that will LAST.....

This situation is very similar to something that is occurring in my "other" hobby. I have been addicted to Mustangs (the cars) since they were new and currently have 12 of them in my stable. One of the cars has been constructed with all aftermarket pieces to compete in an open road race called the "Silver State Classic" held in Nevada. A VERY well known company came out with an advertised "bolt-in, no mods needed" rack and pinion system to which I and many, many others responded. Unfortunately, the unit needed a LOT more R&D and should not have been released as nearly everyone that bought the setup has had clearance/installation problems to the point that nearly everyone is returning them. Unfortunately, this company with a golden reputation has suddenly become a nasty taste in everyone's mouth. It goes to show you what can happen, regardless of your past business dealings, if you promise or come out with a product that doesn't live up to advertised claims. I hope that Sierra takes the time and at LEAST come out and give an update on what is or isn't happening....

My "other" Mustang
Old 06-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Glorystomper
My Feedback: (1)

I think I sent in my deposit last July or so.. I think I will be asking for a refund on the anniversary of Darrell receiving my MO!!!

Has anyone had any problems with a refund? I tried e-mailing him a few months ago to ask about an update but he never replied. It was the address that he posted for people to write to regarding refunds too...
Old 06-05-2004, 08:55 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Glorystomper

I think I sent in my deposit last July or so.. I think I will be asking for a refund on the anniversary of Darrell receiving my MO!!!

Has anyone had any problems with a refund? I tried e-mailing him a few months ago to ask about an update but he never replied. It was the address that he posted for people to write to regarding refunds too...

I requested my deposit on 3 sets about 4 months ago because I was tired of not getting updated and I had just come off a bad experience with Fusco. I had the refund in less than 24 hours. I paid with a credit card so I don't know how fast you'll get your money back since you paid with a Money Order.

I stay subscribed to this thread only because I would really like to get some of these gear and I'm hoping to one day read that they are in production. But I'm done paying up front for smoke and mirrors.

Don
Old 06-06-2004, 08:43 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

I too was able to get my money back in short order from Darrell. I would've been much happier to let him keep it and instead have a nice pair of retracts. . . .

Mark
Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shindin (Lenny), I have e-mailed you personally. I didn't see my post as a flame. Sorry you took it that way. But, I did place an order. I will delete the post if that's what you want. Believe me, it was not intended as a flame. Unfortunately, I got a new computer when the old crashed. You may check my old e-mail address of [email protected]. I know we have discussed shipping and purchasing gear at least 3-4 times since last November.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:34 AM
shindin

Slap me hard and call me __________.
a) stupid b) ugly c) tired d) all of the above.*

Ok guys, all straight, I HAD talked with Jeff back in November about the 109 gear. And he does have an order in, they just didn't have his name on them.... but I did know at the time that one of the two sets was to be his, and guess that part slipped my mind..... I blame it on learning "new" stuff.... (at my age, I find that every time I learn something new, I forget TWO old things....) I don't have the original emails, but apparently was overly optimistic as to how long it would take me to get production started on them, (not an unusual occurance), as the first prototype set didn't go out until December..... for the record, I'm not a businessman, (if i was, i'd find a new business..... i figure i make about a dollar an hour in the shop, but you already probably know it by what i charge), just a regular hobby guy who likes warbirds, (hence the taking of kit, etc. "trade-ins" on gear....) started the machining thing as a way to make some of my own parts, and found that i really like doing it. I also have a full time job, a family, teenagers, etc, that have to come first, but when i say something should be done in a week or two, that's my honest opinion when given.... i generally average about 20 hours a week in the shop, almost exclusively on the weekends, (in the shop from usually 6am til 4pm, sometimes as late as 8pm), and according to all my local buddies, spend way too much time sweating the "small stuff" on machine work. I try to be up front about being slow at making gear, I just need to be a little more realistic about how long it takes..... on the bright side, i am just about caught up, (once again, not a month ago as i'd hoped, but not from lack of effort).... I am also planning to build up some stock parts, to get the turn around time down.......

Anyway, we're back to ground zero, and Jeff, i sent both sets out to Dave on friday, ups (they really have been "almost done" for a number of weeks now). I don't have the tracking number with me, but i believe they are supposed to arrive Wednesday..... no hard feelings on this end, hopefully none there either. After this, i guess i may have to start making r/c car parts, as i will probably become mysteriously "un-busy".... guess i'll have to wait and see on that one......
That pretty much covers it, you guys have a great day, and hopefully I can still work for you.

Lenny Sarbin
head floor sweeper at
Shindin Machine
Old 06-07-2004, 06:37 AM
shindin

ok, I do have the tracking #, I'm at work, but i had the "I-ship" thing on my home email.....
it's

Carrier Trk: 1Z320X300363029714

Lenny[sm=cool.gif]
Old 06-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I stand by my previous post.

Nicely done Lenny.

Pete
Old 06-07-2004, 09:25 AM
WarpdSpazm

Well with all this on the thread... Lenny if you get around to finishing that .60 rotatoing gear for the corsair/warhawk types... I'm in for a pair. Let me know if/when you'd want some $$$ I want to put them in my H9 Corsair. Hopefully even get some gear doors on them too...

At this point if you can make them, you may well have alot of Sierras old market.

Feel free to PM or email... [email protected]..... Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 09:25 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Pete.....thx Lenny. I certainly was not questioning your (Lenny's) practices. As I told Lenny, I know that he does this on the side and not as a full time gig. I am not concerned about lag time if I expect it. So, in retrospect, this post maybe was out of context with the subject matter of the orignal thread topic [&:]. I apologize for that. But, hey, we found out just how good Lenny is. But, I knew that from all the good press he has received on his gear. That's why I looked to him for 109 gear. I'm sure they'll be great. Now, I am outta here. Lenny, thx for being up front and honest with me, and not biting me as hard as needed .
Old 06-07-2004, 12:33 PM
kitesurfer

I guess that Darrell doesn't check his inbox very often either. Here is the response I got from his server concerning my request for a refund of my deposit.

Which brings up an interesting question: Does anybody live close to Darrell or know him personally? Is he physically OK? If he's not even reading his Sales inbox something seems like it would have to be very wrong?

Anybody seen or heard from Darrell recently??

<<< Pasted Message >>>

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: I would like a refund on the my deposit for the P-40 retracts please
Sent: 6/5/2004 9:16 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 6/7/2004 9:21 AM
The message could not be delivered because the recipient's mailbox is full.
<auroramail.Aurora.com #4.2.2 smtp;452 4.2.2 Message would exceed quota for <[email protected]>>
Old 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

I just spoke to him on the phone Friday, and ordered some gear for Vailly's FW-190. Maybe it's luck, but I just dialed the number on his website in the middle of the day, and he answered....
Old 06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
YAT-28E

hes fine..he was at toledo

just differnt business practices....

not to positive....
Old 06-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Has anyone called Sierra recently to inquire about the 60 size rotating gear?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:29 AM
AlexL
My Feedback: (4)

Dear all,

I just wanted to give a quick update to everyone. I ordered my set of retracts for my TopFlight 1/5 scale P51 Mustang. There was some frustration over the process but guess what, the set arrived this morning, what a nicely crafted engineering piece.

I did talk with Mr. Tenny yesterday, before the receipt of the parcel this morning. We had actually quite an open-hearted conversation, and I just want to share this with you all, so that we can appreciate what Darrel is going through and trying so hard to address all issues. I am not associated with Sierra in any ways, but just a happy customer that wants to share his experience with some of you who might feel a little bit neglected.

According to Darrel, retracts are only a small percentage of his business which gone through some down-sizing, right-sizing whichever way you want to put it, in reality, when things are tough, you have to let your people go, I know, I have to do the same in the small engineering consulting firm I run and the feeling is not good.

Darrel is happy to say that all his people landed on their feet quickly and some of them even found opportunities in other States. That being said, things have turned around the past little while and he has more orders that he could handle (a good problem), but also found himself with no craftsmen to do the job, and good helps are hard to come by.

He is aware of the noise from the users communities, but when trying to balance all the demands on a daily basis, that is the last thing he has time to do (no excuse there but I think I appreciate his stance).

There you have it, I will have no problems recommending Sierra's products to anyone who wants a first class design and products, and willing to wait for a little while for it to be shipped. Throughout my dealings with Darrel, he has been courteous, a true gentleman, and I hope you all give him a little breathing space.

Best regards,

Alex Lee
Thornhill, Ontario
Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.