Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Old 08-29-2004, 09:11 PM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reponse from Sierra

OK Darrell, I'll Bite, Are these Ready to ship?,.............Paul
Old 08-29-2004, 10:28 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

They look as if they beat Lee's gear to me.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Maiden Voyage

No thanks, I'm full!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 AM
cap10fan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They're coming!

I was at Darrel's shop on Friday. The gear looks really good!

They have been testing them in an older Corsair. It seems as though retrofitting will not be a problem. They have been flown from pavement and grass without any sign of failure. He is using beefing 5/8" cylinders and, I think he said, a cam rather than a drag link to do the rotating.

I for one, am happy I was patient! This is going to be one set of gear I know I can count on.

Darrel is in the process of producing 250 sets as we speak.

Todd Coleman
Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, I saw these gear on the bench and in the test plane at Warbirds over Muncie. Very nice gear.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Any idea on price? I know of at least 3 people that might be interested in our club.
Edwin
Old 09-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Hi Juvatad and gang. He "beat" me? I have been at it less than 2 months. How long has he taken? I too use a form of cam system. I will continue with my development. I expect to hear from the CNC shop today so that I can work on pricing. What is Darryls price? Lee Robinson
Old 09-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Please do continue Lee. No need for a single source. And first doesnt always get the lions share.
Edwin
Old 09-20-2004, 03:31 PM
juvatwad

"Beat " as in they look better and appear to be of higher quality than anything you've posted, Lee. I wasn't speaking about time-to-finish.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
cobramech
My Feedback: (4)

I have been flying my T/F P-40 on Robarts. My first flight was an awesome takeoff and flight. When I landed on the grass,it nosed over and bent the scissors on one leg.The other side turned approximately 80 degrees.My p-40 weighs exactly 11 lbs ready to fly... My airplane is not heavy,and it flys very well....Actually it flys better than expected! I want structurally sound gear, and am willing to pay for it. If someone will provide good looking gear, for a decent price,I will buy a set. I have, and will always refuse to pay a deposit on something that is not ready to be shipped to me.I have a T/F Corsair kit with an RCV .90 engine that will be begging for a good set of retracts in the not too distant future. Lesson to anyone listening:Make a good product for a decent price, and people will break down your door to buy from you!
Old 09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lee, not everyone understands the concept of prototypes and what you mean by time. One guy is building one set of .60 size retracts for a year and a half in a full machine shop and you have been working in your garage with a rough prototype you built in just 2 months. I get frustrated by people that ask questions about my projects, I have to say this isn't how the finished one will look!!!!!!![:@] Anyone that will make a judgment this early in the game is wrong, period. One guy has one set of gear after a year and a half and the other has a prototype, who will finish and how will they function? Juvatad, one question, are you even building a Corsair or another with a rotating requirement? If you don't and are not intending to buy a set then what you say about anything in these particular threads can only be interpreted as agitation.

Dion

ORIGINAL: Robinaire

Hi Juvatad and gang. He "beat" me? I have been at it less than 2 months. How long has he taken? I too use a form of cam system. I will continue with my development. I expect to hear from the CNC shop today so that I can work on pricing. What is Darryls price? Lee Robinson
Old 09-20-2004, 07:54 PM
torp

Robinaire,quote

I have been at it less than 2 months. How long has he taken? un quote.

nothing to do with you how long he is taking is it ???

If you are confident with your product it will not be a concern,carry on ay .
torp.

p.s. still have my order with Darrell
Old 09-21-2004, 04:09 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

What size plane is the gear designed for ?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:16 PM
cap10fan

I need a gear I can count on.

Sierra has been producing top quality gear that some of the top modelers in the world have come to depend on. I don't care how long I have been waiting, I will NOT give my money to any manufacturer for a substandard product. To me, it is worth far more to wait for something I know I can use, than rush into something that "I might be able to use".

I don't even have to think twice where my money will go.

Todd Coleman
Old 09-21-2004, 04:34 PM
juvatwad

Anyone that will make a judgment this early in the game is wrong, period. One guy has one set of gear after a year and a half and the other has a prototype, who will finish and how will they function? Juvatad, one question, are you even building a Corsair or another with a rotating requirement? If you don't and are not intending to buy a set then what you say about anything in these particular threads can only be interpreted as agitation.
Oh, I didn't realize this thread was restricted to only those who are currently building a model that will require rotators. I thought this was an open forum, available for commentary from anyone who's registered with the site. I guess that's only if one's comments are agreeable to those who read them.

Anyway, who cares about prototypes? The gear Darrel showed look great, and they appear to be of the same high quality construction as is his norm. Lee seems to have a functional prototype, but right now (which is what matters when you want to pick apart my previous statement), it doesn't match up to Darrel's. This thread started out of the frustration with the currently available crap for .60-size rotators from Robart and CJM. In spite of all the whining and moaning Darrel forged ahead and developed what appears to be an outstanding product.

Finally, I have two airplanes that use .60 size rotators, but it wouldn't matter if I didn't have any. It wouldn't matter if I never even intended to build an airplane with said requirement. I will still offer up my opinion whenever I feel like it, and if it agitates you, so what?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Robinaire

Hi Gang; Gosh, I had no idea I would stir up a mini-hornets-nest!! But, back to gear! I've heard nothing but good comments on Darryls workmanship, so I'm sure his gear will be just fine. I will continue to develop mine so at least you have an alternative. I am at least 6 or 8 weeks away from being able to produce the finished product, but in a week or so I should be able to post some pics of the final appearance, not the clunky proto side rails in the original. But they served the purpose of proving whether the system would work. By the way, an amusing thing: I showed the bare mechanics to a local guy, without cylinder, and he promptly told me it couldn't possibly work! I said I was glad it didn't hear him, 'cause it went ahead and worked anyway!! I told him he must have slept through geometry and trig classes! Incidentally, he's a good friend and knowing him, he was just trying to "push my buttons"!! Lee
Old 09-21-2004, 07:30 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and if it agitates you, so what?
Sure spent a lot of time on that post if you don't care. As with most of what you post...yawn...

Dion
Old 09-21-2004, 08:06 PM
cobramech
My Feedback: (4)

Lee,
Keep truckin' along with your gear.... Being an aircraft mechanic for some 15 years, I understand the ups and downs associated with the design and function of complex mechanisms... Especially when it involves mass production! You simply cannot make something to fit everything everyone builds in exact dimensions.There are too many variables....,eg; building skills, plan sizes and etc.
If you are able to produce a product that works well,is competitive in price, and looks proper,than please continue with your efforts. While I am sure Darrell has the ability to make quality gear,his customer service leaves MUCH to be desired. From what I have read in this forum for over a year, he has bitten off more than he can chew. Like i said before.... You don't tell people you can deliver something and than not follow through. What is worse is when you don't answer your customers calls/e-mail. I hope that you will have your retracts available in the next six months or so. Thanks for taking on the challenge and I hope your products are easily available and competitive in price/quality.... Dan
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

yes and while your waiting I have been flying with Century with out any problems at all
Old 09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Wildcard

Hey Lee, I thought I'd write this post this to let you know that I really have enjoyed your posts and appreciate all of you guys that design this stuff and then share it with us in these forums. I've even enjoyed some of the soap opera posts that go along with them.[sm=punching.gif] I've been following them all, from this and your other thread "Robinaire 60 Size Rotating Retracts", Dionysusbacchus thread, "1/8 Super Scale F4U-1D Corsair Cockpit" (I wish I had the skills and patience to design something like that) and finally, CorsairJock's thread on "1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods". I have always loved this plane and I admit watching every single episode of "Baa Baa Black Sheep". I will be building a Top Flight Corsair this winter and am looking forward to trying some of the designs mentioned in these forums. If I'm lucky I might get a chance to be one of your customers. Please all of you keep it up and don't get discouraged, whether from the the hurricanes plaguing your area to all of us envious readers.

Heh, after all that, I almost forgot to ask, will your gear have 90 degs or 100 degs of travel? For that matter, Does it matter? To be honest I'm not sure whether the gear is suppose to rotate down 100 degs or swivel around the strut 100 degs.

Thanks,
Brett
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK guys, enough bashing. We now know Darrell has gear, Robart and CJM exist, and Lee is working on a set. Go with what you wish, but please, no more attacks. Back to the desired topic of rotating gear options.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Robinaire

Good morning Brett; Thanks for the kindly comments. As to the rotation angle, I guess it may be individual preference to each modeler. But I have the Vought original factory drawings, and if you want absolute scale it's 87 deg for both retract angle and rotation. I think 90 deg. is a good angle, as it gives just a slight rake forward to help the model with its noseover tendency. The reason both angles are the same is that the universal joint at the top end on the real one, which causes the rotation as the gear comes up, is set at 45 deg. Thus with each deg. of retraction, the wheel is forced to also rotate 1 deg. Hope this helps a bit. Lee Robinson
Old 09-22-2004, 09:18 AM
juvatwad

Sure spent a lot of time on that post if you don't care. As with most of what you post...yawn...

Dion,

Man, you sure showed me. Maybe I'll take my ball and run home, like you did several months ago.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:49 PM
cap10fan

Default I saw a production set!

I handled a production set of the Sierra Retracts rotators today.

Man! They are beautiful! Smooth as butter and beefier than a Texas Longhorn!

The cam rotator works very well and allows them to rotate the full 90 degrees well before the wheel is in the wheel well.

Those that have been patient will be very happy with the fit, function and appearance of these retracts. They look as though they could even handle my special pancake landings!

Todd Coleman
Old 09-27-2004, 04:29 PM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: I saw a production set!

I don't read too well. But in any case, am glad another set is coming along in addition to Lee's. Waiting fer ya Lee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.