Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

How would you like your ARF WARBIRD??

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Make ARF's a single color and let me customize it
30.00%
Continue making ARF's with a specific color scheme
27.78%
Give me a RTC as I would prefer to entirely cover the plane myself
42.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

How would you like your ARF WARBIRD??

Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you like your ARF WARBIRD??

I don't know about you guys but I have always wanted to see some ARF warbirds that did not come with any particular markings and were available in just a single color that allowed the owners to pick thier own specific scheme and customize their planes the way they like... which seems to be what most ARF owners are doing anyway... Basically what I am talking about would be an all blue corsair or an all silver mustang. Am I all along on wanting an option like this or are there others that feel the same way. Please share your opinion. Thanks

Michael Deloney
Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: How would you like your ARF WARBIRD??

Voted for "RTC", but I think the correct acronym is "ARC": Almost Ready to Cover.
Only a few manufacturers have tried it so far, and I'm thinking with little success.
One problem is price: the difference between and ARF and an ARC is very little (price-wise), so not too many are inclined to buy an ARC when an ARF only costs $10 more. Personally: I WOULD! It takes a lot of time to remove covering from and ARF, just so I can put my own finish on it. I'd gladley pay even the same price (as an ARF) IF they could ship them without the covering on.

But I'm thinking another problem is packaging: an ARC is much more likely to become damaged while still in the box than an ARF is. Common sense: the covering helps keep things together and makes a smoother, more damage resistant structure.

Regardless of how many colors an ARF has on it: I wish they would at least leave ALL of the decals off to allow us SOME creativity/ individuality.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
TakingFlight96

I chose putting specific shemes on the ARF's. I like my paint schemes unique, I guess I could've picked ARC/RTC. It kinda all depends on the plane & the scheme. But, right now I don't have much time, much less any patience to cover. I've been practicing a bit. But, sadly my covering skills aren't the best. We used to have a local modeler help with the covering, he was the best at it, but, sadly he passed away. I guess practice really does make perfect.

TF96
Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
skippyspad

My first choice would be to leave the ARFs alone and maybe offer different decals as an option/upgrade. I've always felt that an ARF is there because many of us don't have the skills or the weeks/months to put a kit together. If someone likes the ARF and has the time and skill to change the scheme, it's not much work to strip and recover before you build. Especially when you consider how much time it takes to scratch build a bird.

If I had a second choice it would be to offer more of the ARFs as ARC. I agree that the covering also protects the model during shipping. Something to overcome. However, you can't please everyone. I doubt you will find a manufacturer that will build several different schemes of the same bird. Too much inventory. Plus it takes away from the pilot creativity designing their own bird or the research to find pics of a 50 yr old plane and bring it to life.

Mike
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
F82FAN
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: mugenkidd

I don't know about you guys but I have always wanted to see some ARF warbirds that did not come with any particular markings and were available in just a single color that allowed the owners to pick thier own specific scheme and customize their planes the way they like... which seems to be what most ARF owners are doing anyway... Basically what I am talking about would be an all blue corsair or an all silver mustang. Am I all along on wanting an option like this or are there others that feel the same way. Please share your opinion. Thanks

Michael Deloney
Many of us have been asking the MANs to let us choose our own scheme for years now, but it falls on deaf ears - thus far.
I voted to cover it, but let us have a choice of the final scheme that we want to put on it.

I can't leave well enough alone and always change things up, so save me the hassle of undoing the Chinese efforts, and let me have a blank canvas. If it is built up, put a solid color on it. If it is F.G. - paint it a light base and let me finish it!
The picture is of my KMP B-25 that we changed the entire paint scheme on- along with many other mods. It would have saved me HOURS to offer it in just a light base color.

Decals and sticker sheets are VERY inexpensive to do, so have several different sets available to choose from!

Thanks for doing this poll.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41153.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1185547  
Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to love it when the local hobby shop would get in ARC's. ,they would set on the shelf for a couple of years then i would buy them for next to nothing. because those of us that would perfer an ARC have to realize that we are the exception and not the rule. anybody recognize what arc this started as?

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24718.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1185549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16648.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1185550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21291.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1185551  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my ARFs in a box full of laser cut wood, with plans and nothing pre-assembled.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Evil_Merlin

I have to give KMP some credit. Some of the ARF's they sell are available in primer only... its a much longer wait, but you can get them.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Many suppliers will tell you that ARC "ben there done that " VQ offered some that way , and so did Hobby People , the guys at HP told me no one would but them , frankly I voted for the ARC , its the way I like the planes
Old 04-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

I like to present schemes that aren't often seen. I went to a Warbird fly in and saw EIGHT Hangar 9 "Marie" P-51's all lined in a row....BORING!!! When they are all in the air, how do you know which one is yours?

Out Here,
Flak
Old 04-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Evil_Merlin

Yeah Flak, but that defeats the whole purpose, an ARF company puts out uncommon paint jobs, everyone buys it in the uncommon paint, and its right back to Marie again...
Old 04-26-2009, 04:38 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always thought the one major flaw in the SCALE competitions is the fact that the airplane HAS to be based on a known plane with documentation. To me I would rather see the model technically accurate with BELIEVABLE paint schemes that may or may not have existed. too many airplanes only have one, two , or a handfull of interesting paintjobs. I say if it looks accurate for the times, and all the structure has been built correct why discount some new blood into the lineup? Its sad when you are sick of seeing the best paint job a plane ever had.