Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Air retracts

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
ascforithobbies
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air retracts

I have a question for the guys who use air retracts system in there models, when you have gear failure of the main not comming all the way down or locking. What did you find as being the route cause of the problem? What exactly was the repair did you preform to the system and get the gear working correctly?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 AM
mboland

Default RE: Air retracts

If in flight I usually find a loop pull the gear down enough to lock it.

If the gear operates OK but when screwed into the model does not operate well, it usually means the bearers are not paralell and are twisting the retracts bady when the screws are tightened.

Sometimes there are just lacking lubrication.

If it air leaks losing pressure then the soapy water test of all joints, the filler valve is the usual culprit.
But if you can't find a leak in the tubes and joins then it may be the seal in one of the cylinders is leaking.

That's sort of roughly it unless you can give more details.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I have found different solutions to each gear actuation problem. Mboland has mentioned many fixes but I am sure there are more solutions to the many different problems. Do the gear work on the bench? Do you keep air pressure overnight? Is there a bind you can feel if manually (by hand) drop the gear? Have you tried loosen the mounting bolts? You may have resistance from the air and speed of the plane so you might want to put a little back pressure on the gear for a manual check.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug, Use these and you'll never have to worry about leaks again. Dan.
http://www.retracts.com/
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Dynamic!
My Feedback: (38)

If a line pinches or kinks it can cause the gear to not fully lock down or up. The air cylinder moves during the cycle on some units and that could be causing the line to pinch against a spar or rib in the wing.  I've run into this on Robarts 150 series units.

I know it seems like a dumb question, but are you loading the system with enough pressure to push the gear down against the airflow during flight?  Or is the gear slowed too much at the valve that it doesn't build enough pressure at the retract to push it down against the airflow?  Try speeding up the cycle and see if the problem still exists.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 AM
ascforithobbies

Guys Thank you for the responses, . Im Building a Ziroli 112'' B-25 and I don't want to have issues with the retracts. I'm  looking to find out what the majority of the issue that causes the loss of air pressure. I have seen time and time again where you pressurize the system in the pits, cycle the gear everything is working. You get the aircraft in the air and for some reason when you go to land, the gear either don't come out at all or they drop half way and you are forced to belly in.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I despise air retracts. The best thing to do is go to Down & Locked and have your pneumatic retracts converted to Electric!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 AM
ascforithobbies

can electric handle the added weight of scale struts, brakes, aluminum wheels?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM
MinnFlyer

Easily.

Check out the video in this review:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1294
Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Dynamic!

ORIGINAL: ascforithobbies

Guys Thank you for the responses, . Im Building a Ziroli 112'' B-25 and I don't want to have issues with the retracts. I'm looking to find out what the majority of the issue that causes the loss of air pressure. I have seen time and time again where you pressurize the system in the pits, cycle the gear everything is working. You get the aircraft in the air and for some reason when you go to land, the gear either don't come out at all or they drop half way and you are forced to belly in.

If you chose a pneumatic system, before the first flight of the day pressurize and cycle the gear once or twice. When the cylinders sit idle for awhile, the O-rings inside sometimes dry a bit and stick. One cycle through the system frees them right up. Other than that, as long as you don't have a major leak somewhere you should be fine. I've flown giant scale warbirds with retracts for almost 10 years now and only had to make one landing with a gear problem. And that proved to be due to a mistake I made in the workshop, not a fault of the retract system.
Electric retract systems are nice,though Ihaven't used any on my planes yet. But they are not completely bullet proof either,I have seen them fail.
It comes down to personal preference. Either system set-up and maintainedproperly should work just fine and be reliable. Just the same either system installed incorrectly will cause you trouble.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
ascforithobbies

Dynamic If you dont mind what was the mistake in the shop?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
prop wash

My Robarts on my two P51 TF GS have always worked.[12yrs] You must have enough pressure in the tank and not to close the valve to make them "too" slow.Keep an eye on your pressure indicator before you fly.I use about 140 # of pressure and after a few flights recharge again.
Good luck.Tom
Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Minnflyer-

I am wondering if you have a video showing a 2 lb. main gear cycling? My B-25 with wheels, brakes and strut are just over 2 lbs.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
ascforithobbies

My Byron P51 gear are the original set up and I only get to cycle the Door's, gear up and down one time. the mains don't bind at all, I have changed the O-rings, lube it and I even increase the air tank . I'm limited on repairs and  there is no electric conversion for the Byron unit's. That is why for the b-25 I like to find out what other problem other guys have had, to avoid it when plumbing the system in this new model.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Minnflyer-

I am wondering if you have a video showing a 2 lb. main gear cycling? My B-25 with wheels, brakes and strut are just over 2 lbs.
Here's a video from the Down & Locked site:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l9Z6OxENkc&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Dynamic!

ORIGINAL: ascforithobbies

Dynamic If you dont mind what was the mistake in the shop?
I had damaged the gear mount in the wing of my 96" Mustang. During the repair I was installing/removing the retract numerous times trying to get everything realigned and working properly. I wore out the end of the air line where it slides onto the nipple and forgot to snip it off.Onceat the field, loaded to flight pressure, theair line couldn't hold. When I cycled the gear on take-off the line blew offand I lost all pressure. I had to make one of those fun landings on two gear legs hanging limp, not locked up, not locked down.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM
dubs1946

Hi i had a failure with only one wheel coming down and that was it and it then would not go up or down, the air tank had rotated in its cradle due to vibration, so make sure if you are using air to secure the tank.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
ascforithobbies

Minnflyer

Can Down and lock convert any retract unit to electric?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 AM
MinnFlyer

Well, I'll put it this way. Mitch Stott (the owner of D&L) says he hasn't come across one yet that they haven't been able to convert.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 AM
vik

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Well, I'll put it this way. Mitch Stott (the owner of D&L) says he hasn't come across one yet that they haven't been able to convert.
yes
Sierra FW190 tail
as it is hold UP/DOWN only by the air pressure
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 AM
MinnFlyer

I stand corrected. But that's only a tail wheel
Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a matter of careful construction with regards to installation techniques...ie keeping rails parallel and square to eliminate any binding in the frames.
Second, you need to use quality retracts, hoses, tee fittings, and valves, both retraction and fill. Cheap hoses can split and kink, cheap valves leak.
Third, make sure you have enough volume to adequately cycle your gear. I prefer 4 cycles per air charge. Your valve must be able to pass enough air to raise large heavy wheels and brakes. IMO, the Robart valves are not up the task. I would go with a BVM or Sierra high volume valves.
Finally, maintenance. You have to lube the cylinders once in awhile, yearly??? You must keep a check on how flexible your lines are. I have seen planes go for years on the same quality hose, BUT these planes had gear systems that were never disconnected and the hoses did not see UV rays. One of these was a 101" B-25. The wing center section was permanent, so the air system was never cracked open, and the hoses were never exposed to UV rays, so they lasted for the life of the plane. I dont think that plane EVER had a retract failure in the 3 years or so that it was flown. Also, dont be afraid to disassemble cylinders to replace O-rings. Things wear out, or normally, they age out with O-rings. They normally get hard from sitting, or lack of lube, or just plain age. Robart sells rebuild kits for their cylinders, its easy and cheap to do.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Dynamic!

ORIGINAL: JeffH

Its a matter of careful construction with regards to installation techniques...ie keeping rails parallel and square to eliminate any binding in the frames.
Second, you need to use quality retracts, hoses, tee fittings, and valves, both retraction and fill. Cheap hoses can split and kink, cheap valves leak.
Third, make sure you have enough volume to adequately cycle your gear. I prefer 4 cycles per air charge. Your valve must be able to pass enough air to raise large heavy wheels and brakes. IMO, the Robart valves are not up the task. I would go with a BVM or Sierra high volume valves.
Finally, maintenance. You have to lube the cylinders once in awhile, yearly??? You must keep a check on how flexible your lines are. I have seen planes go for years on the same quality hose, BUT these planes had gear systems that were never disconnected and the hoses did not see UV rays. One of these was a 101" B-25. The wing center section was permanent, so the air system was never cracked open, and the hoses were never exposed to UV rays, so they lasted for the life of the plane. I dont think that plane EVER had a retract failure in the 3 years or so that it was flown. Also, dont be afraid to disassemble cylinders to replace O-rings. Things wear out, or normally, they age out with O-rings. They normally get hard from sitting, or lack of lube, or just plain age. Robart sells rebuild kits for their cylinders, its easy and cheap to do.
Ultra Precision makesgood valves too, and IMHO their sequencing valvesare the most reliable way to do door sequencing if it's required on your plane.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Any recommendations on what to use to lube the retract cylinders and how to apply?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:23 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog/lubricants.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.