Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

latest project PZL 11c

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

latest project PZL 11c

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default latest project PZL 11c

Here is a photo of my latest project. Will be ready by warbird season. 94 inch wingspan, gas engine, weighs ~ 20lbs.
Scratch built from three view in one of my WWII books. What is it?

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80562.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1197437  
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: latest project

now thats some thinkin outside the box. I appreciate a new and interesting model.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. Love the Polish warbirds. The Germans had issues with these! THe PZL P11c is a great little plane and I'd like to see it in the air.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really nice and something different! It looks like it's going to be a nice flier!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
larry@coyotenet

Nice to see some modelers who know their airplane history. The PZL 11c holds the distinction of being the first plane shot down in WWII and the first fighter to shoot down a German plane in WWII. Considering that the German fighters were ~ 100 mph faster the Poles did quite well with the PZL 11 fighters, shooting down more Germans than they lost themselves. As the Germans found out in the Battle of Britain the Polish pilots were no slouches either!
Larry
Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love flying the PZL 11c in IL-2. Its a fantasticly manuverable bird. Usually playing online I get crap from the folks flying the heavier stuff. Till I shoot them down.

The Germans were VERY good at hiding the fact that the Poles shot down 110 aircraft for a loss of 100. Considering though how out of date the 11c was at the time its amazing.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 PM
deatonbt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great to see a different plane. Can you post some more pictures?

What engine are you using? I am always curious about what gas engines folks are using in what.

Brian
Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
larry@coyotenet

This particular plane has a Fuji 50 in it. I was going to use a ST4500 but decided that the advantages of gas outweighed the power of the ST. I had used the Fuji in a TF P-47 for two years. It flew the 47 just fine but was replaced with a G-62 which gave me a lot more performance. Another consideration was nose weight. The Fuji is about 6 or 7 ozs heavier than the 4500. As you can see from the picture the firewall is right on the leading edge of the wing so all the weight I can get in the nose without adding more lead is no disadvantage.
Here is another picture showing you what I mean. This plane is not an exact copy of any one PZL 11. It has markings from the
fighting cock squadron because I like the logo but most Polish fighters had their unit markings removed about a week into the war for security reasons. This plane was designed around a spare TF Corsair cowl I had. The cowl is a little longer than the real one, It looks OK but really looks more like the cowl on the PZL 24 which was a slightly improved version which the Rumanians and the Greeks flew at the beginning of WWII. The PZL 11 had a 600hp Bristol Mercury radial which gave it a top speed of 240 mph. Armament was two 7.62mm machine guns, with some fitted with two more in the wing roots. I have always liked the plane, mostly because it is unusual and I was impressed by the fight the Poles put up using an obsolete fighter. I built the plane because I had the spare cowl. Here is another picture of the real PZL 11c. I believe this may be the last one left. It is in a museum in Poland. This plane was designed in the early 30's and was one of the first all metal monoplanes to be used by any airforce. Unfortunately for the Poles the designer was killed in an aircrash shortly after the plane went into production and improvements in the design were unsuccessful leaving the Polish Airforce to enter WWII with an obsolecent fighter.
Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16330.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1198123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17222.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1198124  
Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Larry, will you have it in Denver on the 12-14th? I will be down for that and hopefully one of yours later in the summer.Had a great time at the scale meet last July.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Pippin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking plane! I love that design.

20lbs, you set the bench mark for that size.

True, the GAF lost more than one plane in the Polish operation. More or less, both sides were operating quite similar planes and both sides were prepaired to fight. And as a matter of fact as soon as you fly you have to face attrittion and friction.

But a big deal of the Polish AF could escape to neighbouring countires after the Russian stept in into the back door, thus supporting die RAF at a later stage of the war (as some British like to point out as potato peeler, really, it´s not a joke).

According to some sources out of 175 PZL-11c, PAF lost 114 against 126 German planes (maybe JU-52, HS 123, HS 126

GAF was operating earlier models of the Bf-109 (if we assume the PZL-11c attacked the fighters rather than the German bombers).

The remaining PZL-11 were uesed by the GAF as a trainer A/C after the campain.

Aye, there is always a historical side in our hobby. Fascinating.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:05 PM
larry@coyotenet

Default RE: latest project PZL 11c

Just to let you know I replaced the Fuji 50 with the ST4500 and flew the plane today. The engine had tons of power and the plane flew off the board with two clicks of up trim, probably on the nose heavy side. Flew like a champ, tracked straight down the runway and flew just great. The aeilerons where slightly sluggish since I had the throw set on the mild side but other than that you would never know it had such an unusual wing shape and such a small stab. If it contiues to fly like today it will be a real honey. It moved right along on the ST4500 and I was running a big prop to keep the rpm's down. Those 109s and 110s better watch out !!!

larry