Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Who's the best kit cutter???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Lazer Lizard
31.11%
PCK
31.11%
Lazer cut USA
15.56%
M&A Models
8.89%
Other (please name them and give site info!)
13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Who's the best kit cutter???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who's the best kit cutter???

I have used a couple different kit cutters and have to say that Laser Cut USAwas very good and treated me well when I needed extra parts. I haven't ever used PCK but will say I won't slander anyone. So I won't mention the name of the other cutter that did a rotten job and used poor quality wood. Who do you keep going back to and PLEASE tell mewhy?

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Mike Emilio

Default RE: Who's the best kit cutter???

I had great service with Da Lizard.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose other and the kit cutter is me.

I perfer to have complete control over the cutting process from selecting wood densities to any changes I make in the overall design due to personal preferance.

Cutting my own kit comprises less than 1% of the total build time.

Dave

Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not another poll Ziva

lasercut USA

Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 PM
NCIS

This time around I'm having A&MModels modify and cut my 124"Ziroli Corsair. Has anyone had any experience with Alex before? Good or bad please speak up!

Barry
Old 05-30-2009, 06:19 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Barry,

Did you mean AK-models, A&M models or M&A models?

I know Alex from AK-models. Are your plans already digitized? I didn't think Alex was generating files. I thought he only cut from provided files. Maybe you mean someother Alex from A&M models or M&A models, or whatever.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:26 PM
NCIS

Is the Alex your talking about from Mexico? He has an accent!!!That is the one I'm dealing with and now he is in Florida. Here is his website a-mmodels.com
Barry
Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 PM
butlern

The Alex I know has an accent, yes. But it's a Russian accent. And we're in Iowa. Your Alex and my Alex are definitely not the same person!

Interesed to hear how it goes with A&M Models. Never heard of them before.

Keep us posted.

Regards,

Noah

Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 PM
NCIS

Type in the wesite above just as I have in your search box. Then you will see his site!

Barry
Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

I have used Alex many times. His cutting is on the money and his turn around time is great. Plus he's very reasonable as far as price. He's local to me in Florida so thats another plus. Great customer service. He might satisy even you Barry

Peter

His website http://a-mmodels.com/

Old 05-31-2009, 03:08 PM
NCIS

Peter,

I am hard to please I guess but up til now he has gone out of his way to do it. I am really looking forward to getting this 124" Ziroli Corsair from him. He is sometimes hard for me to comunicate with but we get by. Being a Police Officer in Houston, Texas and dealing with Mexican people for 25 years I started to undertand them somewhat well. I am happy you responded because until then I had my worries that nobody ever used him before me.Thanks for the input.

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

ihave used jesse at lazer lizard , and he did a quality job , and would use him again , but i can never remember how to spell it , forsome reason .
Old 05-31-2009, 03:54 PM
NCIS

I think you spelled it right and if you didn't I spell it wrong too!

Barry
Old 05-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Barry,

No problem, your welcome. I use e-mail and he was right back with the replies. Except for some type-o's that we all have it was pretty straight foward on the communication front. I am eager to see your build. I opted out of the three piece wing on my "classic" 96 inch version after thinking with my set up, itwould require about6 bolts to deal with rather than 2 and at worst someone holding the plane on its nose.

All the best

Peter

Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Barry,

Given your needs and building tastes, it would seem profitable for you to cut 'em yourself.  I've had kits from PCK, Aeroplane Works (formerly Mace Gill's), and some others.  Mace's stuff was awesome, as was PCK's....but depending on the kit being done, in the future, I'm pretty much cutting my own I think.  It really doesn't take that long, and on a lot of kits, I've ended up just cutting either some missing pieces, or using different wood for my own tastes on some parts which, of course necessitates cutting your own parts at some level anyway.  I DO dig the ability to select ALL my own wood for various parts though.  This way you can choose to make rear fuse formers from balsa, get your sheeting contest grade, and use the contest grade for all tail parts and things in the back.  Kit cutters will never probably be as particular as we might be on some parts..even though the parts may be excellent in fit and cut.

M.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:52 PM
NCIS

Peter and Wulf190,

Ihave to have three pieces and the Byron system is the only way I can do it because with tubes I'd have to part the wing outside of the outer flap and thats to wide for my van doors. I don't think I'll need more than two because I'm also putting bolts from the center section to the tip panels via hatches on the underside of the wing that will be held shut with magnets. I'm thinking two per panel with 1/4" ply on the inside of the rib in thecenter section and also for the blind nut on the inside of the rib on the panel side. I'm going to use short 1/4-20bolts and a quick one piece ratchet wrench for tightening and removing them. That will keep the wing from twisting and also hold it together. Basically all the bar and c-channel will do is carry the wing load. It will be a 2" c-channel 1/2" wide and 7" long and the bar will be 1 1/2" x 3/16" thick by about 16" long. What ever it takes to go through 3 bays of ribs and into the 7 " c-channel.

Wulf190,

I would cut my own parts but I don't think I have enough tools. I do have a scroll saw, a band saw, a circular saw, miter box saw, and a drill press. Would I need more than that.?I know I would need a vertical sander for sanding the ribs and other parts. Or would I?

Thanks guy's,

Barry
Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Best kit cutter ever was Gary Madden. Don't think he is in the business anymore. Old school, sawn + sanded. No one else I've seen even comes close.

I have one of his Z Skyraiders in the bones, and an unbuilt Z P47 and F8F that are in the "vault":-)

Dave McQ

Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 PM
NCIS

Dave,

Cool license plate. I love it. I never thought of doing that.

Barry
Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: NCIS

Wulf190,

I would cut my own parts but I don't think I have enough tools. I do have a scroll saw, a band saw, a circular saw, miter box saw, and a drill press. Would I need more than that.?I know I would need a vertical sander for sanding the ribs and other parts. Or would I?

Thanks guy's,

Barry

That's probably even more than I have Barry. Fear not. It's true what's stated about it not taking a big percentage of build time to cut the whole thing. It's more intimidating to think about than to actually do it. Once you're going on cutting parts, it's actually quite rewarding. For stuff like a Platt kit, it's easy.... for something like a Z. Hellcat, then it's more work obviously for all the stringer cutouts. It just seems like there's always a couple of parts missing, or hidden in the plan templates that get left out when getting a kit....not to knock the kit cutters...it's understandable. I've always just found it easier and faster to just cut any missing parts vs. calling and ordering, even though I know the cutters would supply it....just don't wanna get slowed down once I'm going and need the part.

Typically I get a lot of use of the Dremel scroll saw, and the disc/belt sander to get the parts close, then just hand sand to get to the line on the templates (mounted with spray glue).....or better...use SeeTemp material from Dynamic Balsa and make a nice set of templates that you can reuse. The stuff is great. Cutting stringer notches can be done in a variety of ways, but isn't so time consuming with the correct and preferred tool/method. A vertical sander is nice, but not really essential IMHO. I burned out my first disc/belt sander from Harbor Freight, as it got a LOT of use, but it was almost kind of rewarding to know that it just plain wore out from all the sanding. The second unit is going strong after several years still. Forstner bits help a ton for interior holes and cutouts too. Your drill press comes in handy for that. In some cases the Rotozip is a great rough cut interior hole tool as well.

M.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 AM
butlern

Here's the greatest tool that I ever purchsed for kit building (aside frommy band saw):

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001769.php

It's makes very fast work of finishing rough-cutplyand balsa parts

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: Mike Emilio
I had great service with Da Lizard.
second to that, Jesse is da man...

www.laserlizard.com/

Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
aston70
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: butlern

Barry,

Did you mean AK-models, A&M models or M&A models?

I know Alex from AK-models. Are your plans already digitized? I didn't think Alex was generating files. I thought he only cut from provided files. Maybe you mean someother Alex from A&M models or M&A models, or whatever.

I've used Alex at AK-models a little over a year ago and he did a wonderful job. I'm thinking about using him again for my next project. He's reasonably priced I think.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 PM
dadragon

hey 2birds,I put together one of maddens A-1's from ziroli too in 1996 and did one heck of a kit everything was rite on,it went together like spreading butter on bread. geo.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 AM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: wingspar

I chose other and the kit cutter is me.

I perfer to have complete control over the cutting process from selecting wood densities to any changes I make in the overall design due to personal preferance.

Cutting my own kit comprises less than 1% of the total build time.

Dave

Same as Wingspar..... ME! I have entertained the thought if only it was a little less expensive ('expense' is relative). I look at all the 'stuff' I can buy by saving money and cutting myself. The money saved allows me to buy 'value' in lieu of 'price' toward hobby supplies. It's all good! Tailwinds, ARUP
Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 PM
lostin1960

alex guzman A&M MODELS coral springs Florida web site A-MMODELS.COM USES BETTER THAN LITE PLY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.